PDA

View Full Version : "Ted, what if he kills somebody in this state?"

retailguy
09-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Packers take risk on Robinson for very little reward

Perhaps the best opening question in the history of sports press conferences was thrown directly at the head of Packers General Manager Ted Thompson on Monday as he stood next to Koren Robinson, the troubled former Vikings receiver who had just been signed by the embarrassingly desperate Packers.

"Ted, what if he kills somebody in this state? Driving drunk or speeding away from cops?" asked Milwaukee Journal Sentinel columnist Cliff Christl.

Despite Robinson's history of alcohol-related problems, including an Aug. 15 arrest on charges that included drunken driving and felony fleeing at speeds well in excess of 100 miles per hour, Thompson never saw the question coming.

"Oh, I can't answer anything like that," Thompson said after a pause to gather himself. "... There's issues in his past that obviously he's made some mistakes, but most of those issues are covered under the confidentiality of the NFL and the NFLPA. There's programs set up and that sort of thing, and that's where that lies."

In his past? The hood of K-Rob's Beemer is still probably warm from the high-speed chase he led 12 police cars on down Hwy. 169 to Mankato. And he still faces court battles, possible jail time and a potential one-year suspension from the NFL.

The mess was enough to get Robinson released by the Vikings. But not enough for Thompson to resist the urge to reunite with a player he helped draft in the first round with Seattle.

"Whenever you get shut out for the first time in 233 straight games, like the Packers were on Sunday, you need some help," said former Green Bay and current Vikings safety Darren Sharper, referring to Chicago's 26-0 victory at Lambeau Field. "Koren is probably the best available receiver out there, so it kind of makes sense to them to sign him."

But Robinson isn't going to push the Packers over the top and into the playoffs. At most, he adds a victory or two. So, in other words, the Packers were willing to make themselves the butt of all these jokes for a guy who can help them still finish under .500 and miss the playoffs.

Sharper said he thought Christl's question was "extreme" in a press conference setting, "especially with Koren standing right there.

"But," Sharper added, "I guess a lot of those questions are going to come into play with his history."

Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell, the Packers' career scoring leader, didn't have a problem with the opening question.

"It's an honest question," Longwell said. "I think the reporters over there are concerned about the situation. Obviously, Koren's history is out there, so they have to be prepared to face those questions."

Mark Craig • mcraig@startribune.com

Rastak
09-18-2006, 07:59 AM
:beat:

prsnfoto
09-18-2006, 08:18 AM
:beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: The pack has much bigger problems than that like whether they could beat the local high school team .Fire TT Fire MM and set Brett free.

Scott Campbell
09-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Typical Christl.

If I were Ted I would have answered the question like this:

"With any kind of luck we think he might pick off a couple FIB's."

GBRulz
09-18-2006, 09:03 AM
beat to death for sure....but that is one of the most stupid questions I've ever heard in my life.

SC - TT would scored major points with me if he came back with that comment..lol.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Well now we know what KR was so pissed about on the kick returns.

MJZiggy
09-18-2006, 09:10 AM
No, really what was he so pissed about? I thought they were gonna have to have Tauscher sit on him until he settled down... And what the hell did Bubba say to the official that got him enough of a penalty to offset someone body slamming DD?

AV David
09-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Because everybody knows that if KR killed someone in Ohio or Pennsylvania they would not be as dead as if he killed them in Wisconsin?

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2006, 09:38 AM
And what the hell did Bubba say to the official that got him enough of a penalty to offset someone body slamming DD?

That's a damn good question. Bubba said something, and the guy he said it to had already shrugged it off and started to walk away. Then the ref throws a flag. It must have something VERY creative, you have to beleive that players are swearing at each other all game long.

I saw the body slam differently than most people. Looking at the replay, Driver was not down by contact. And he got up and started to run again. The guy had a perfect right to tackle him. Maybe there was a loud whistle while all this was going on.

Chubbyhubby
09-18-2006, 09:47 AM
And what the hell did Bubba say to the official that got him enough of a penalty to offset someone body slamming DD?

That's a damn good question. Bubba said something, and the guy he said it to had already shrugged it off and started to walk away. Then the ref throws a flag. It must have something VERY creative, you have to beleive that players are swearing at each other all game long.

I saw the body slam differently than most people. Looking at the replay, Driver was not down by contact. And he got up and started to run again. The guy had a perfect right to tackle him. Maybe there was a loud whistle while all this was going on.

I watched the game I was at my parents house yesterday and indeed he was down. He caught the ball and while he was down a player from the saints touched him. DD got up from the play and the saint picked him up and slammed him. I'd say give that guy a contract for WWE wresling!

Rastak
09-18-2006, 09:49 AM

I saw it the same as Harlen when I say the replay on NFL Network. He jumped up and I wasn't sure if he was down either....the dude was just trying to tackle him but I could see how a call could be made when the end result is a body slam.

I watched the game I was at my parents house yesterday and indeed he was down. He caught the ball and while he was down a player from the saints touched him. DD got up from the play and the saint picked him up and slammed him. I'd say give that guy a contract for WWE wresling!

I saw it the same as Harlen when I say the replay on NFL Network. He jumped up and I wasn't sure if he was down either....the dude was just trying to tackle him but I could see how a call could be made when the end result is a body slam.

Chubbyhubby
09-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Signing Koren Robinson makes no sense to me. All along MM kept talking to the media about having "packer people" what ever that means. Koren Robinson IS NOT A PACKER PERSON! Unless he wan't to have a "bad ass" on the team to spark these guys. Thats one reason for signing him.

Rastak
09-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Signing Koren Robinson makes no sense to me. All along MM kept talking to the media about having "packer people" what ever that means. Koren Robinson IS NOT A PACKER PERSON! Unless he wan't to have a "bad ass" on the team to spark these guys. Thats one reason for signing him.

For the record, Koren isn't a "badass" he's a rather quiet and humble guy when he isn't passing Mario Andretti on the freeway.

SkinBasket
09-18-2006, 10:50 AM
But Robinson isn't going to push the Packers over the top and into the playoffs. At most, he adds a victory or two. So, in other words, the Packers were willing to make themselves the butt of all these jokes for a guy who can help them still finish under .500 and miss the playoffs.

So what the mother fuck? Now it doesn't make sense to add players that may help you win if you aren't going to win the Super Bowl? What kind of dumb ass stupid fucking statement is this? Who the fuck cares if some lame dick reporter with bad fucking hair that makes him look like a half dead circus animal or another with a divet in his head makes the packers the "butt of all these jokes" if the move wins a "victory or two?" Seriously, is Ted's job to make sure no one makes fun of the Packers? Or is it to add players who might help the team win?

Half the fucking players in this league come with baggage of some sort or another. Did Cliffy bother to ask the BAL GM what would happen if Ray Lewis got caught stabbing someone? Or if Ahman Green beat his wife in public instead of behind closed doors? Or how about MIA giving a certain thug another chance after he stuck a gun in someone's face? A decade ago did he rattle that marble around inside his thick skull long enough to ask what would happen if we kept a drunken drug abuser on our team? Oh, wait... we did keep him and he turned his life around, won a super bowl, 3 MVPs, and a trip to Canton.

BLARG! Fuck journalism. It's a lost art. These days these douchebags are more concerned with getting their catch phrases on ESPN (mission accomplished Cliff!) than actually putting any thought behind what they say.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2006, 11:16 AM
That was beautiful Skin!