PDA

View Full Version : GM TT PERFORMANCE REVIEW/OFFICIAL FAVRE WATCH

TopHat
05-13-2007, 06:05 PM
AFTER 2007 OFFSEASON MOVES, DRAFT REVIEWS & FAVRE'S REVELATIONS, IT'S TIME FOR PRESEASON TT SATISFACTION SURVEY. I WILL PROVIDE COMPARATIVE POLLS FROM OTHER SITES. FANS, YOU DECIDE!

1. FAVRE'S PUBLIC DISSATISFACTIONS.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

There are a couple of articles at PackersNews and the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about QB Brett Favre's comments regarding WR Randy Moss. Tom Silverstein reported that the Packers had worked out a deal that would have cost a 5th round pick and a guaranteed $3 million contract for Moss. If that deal could have been made, then the Packers should have made it, but New England came in with a high 4th round that was originally San Francisco's pick for Moss. The Packers 4th round pick was lower, so they would have had to offer a 3rd round pick. Giving up a 3rd round pick for Moss would have been a problem because if he had worked out, it was only a one year contract and the Packers would have to give him a bigger contract to keep him if he wanted to stay at all. If he hadn't worked out, then a 3rd round pick was wasted on a one year bust. Either way it would have been harder to part with a 3rd round pick in that scenario than only a 5th round pick.
Maybe Moss is done. He is about to turn 30 years old and maybe the last three down seasons isn't a case of a great player in a bad situation but a player in decline. GM Ted Thompson won't let anyone know his opinion of Moss because he can't talk about players on other teams. Done or not done is only speculation and we won't know until the end of 2007. But I'm really not interested in the alternate Moss scenarios. What really got my attention about Favre's comments is his relationship with Packers management. Here is what Favre said: "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way. I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me."
It has seemed obvious that Thompson wanted to tear the Packers down and rebuild with his own coaches and players since the end of 2005. That might be good for some teams, but the Packers had just won three consecutive division titles before Thompson walked in the door. In 2005 he let three very important players walk away (LG Mike Wahle, RG Marco Rivera, and FS Darren Sharper), then the Packers best player from 2004 is lost for the season (WR Javon Walker), then RB Ahman Green is injured for most of the season, and all the free agents Thompson signed were busts. Every team in the NFL has to deal with free agency and injuries, but few teams have bled that much talent that quickly. Mike Sherman is made the scapegoat and Thompson won't even be honest with him and uses the old "we needed to go in a different direction" line. Thompson didn't want his predecessor hanging around Green Bay and he wanted to bring in his own guy. He had drafted Favre's replacement in QB Aaron Rodgers, so now is the time to start completely clean and let Favre retire. He can't release or trade Favre because Thompson's career in Green Bay would be on borrowed time if it looks like he shoved Favre out. Instead he hires a rookie head coach who wasn't a successful offensive coordinator and sets Favre up with a rookie offensive line. Favre probably shocked Thompson when he announced he wasn't retiring after 2005.
Favre is the odd man out and Thompson wants him to retire, but he can't force him to do it. Thompson did make up for his awful 2005 season by doing very well in the 2006 draft and free agency, but 2007 resembles 2005 because he has let veterans go, he didn't sign anyone in free agency, and he reached for some draft choices. Maybe Thompson is better at making decisions than Favre and maybe what has been done over the last three free agency periods and in the draft are the best long-term decisions, but his decisions have really hurt the Packers ability to compete over the previous two seasons. He should be honest with everyone and it doesn't seem like he is honest with anyone

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

http:www.profootballtalk.com

PACKERS SCRAMBLE TO DOUSE FLAMING FANS

At a time when wildfires have been raging in several corners of the nation, there's a conflagration that currently is consuming Packer nation. And the front office knows it. Why else would the team put out an "all is well" press release on Mother's Day? "We are optimistic about the 2007 season," Thompson said in the team-issued Sunday statement. "We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within. We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."
Thompson also addressed the recent comments of quarterback Brett Favre, who expressed dissatisfaction about the team's failure to land Randy Moss. "I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now." And Thompson provided a carefully-crafted non-answer to the question of whether, as Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reported earlier in the day, Favre has asked for a trade. "We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of our organization. We try to encourage open and honest dialogue with players and their agents. But if those talks later are shared with third parties, the willingness of players to be open in future conversations may be compromised."
Possible translation: "Yes, but because Brett currently has a literal and figurative hold on the nutsack of the front office, we don't want to take any chances that he might decide to squeeze even harder than he already has."
In our view, this Mother's Day missive is a desperate act from an organization that is facing a revolt from its fan base. And we're even more convinced that either Favre or Thompson will be not with the team come September. Given that the franchise is publicly owned, we wouldn't be surprised if someone were to file a shareholder's action aimed at forcing the team to have the same kind of accountability that would exist if there was a real owner calling the shots. For his part, Favre is trying to help put out the fire. The post on his official site regarding rumors of Favre wanting a trade, which were confirmed by board administrator "DavidPHX," has been deleted. And DavidPHX has posted the following message: "Brett has asked that we all tone down the articles and any dislikes for management. He does not want his site to fuel rumors. Ted Thompson is his boss and we need to tone everything down. I believe the situation is over with. Brett vented said what he wanted and I believe management has heard. Brett loves the Green Bay Packers and has always felt we have the best fans in the WORLD . I expect Brett to return as the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers on September 9. Go Packers!"
Still, Favre is the one who has started this mess, both by privately asking to be traded and by publicly making his displeasure known. It's a storm of unprecedented proportion for the Packers, and we don't think the situation is going to get better any time soon. The only person to benefit from this brouhaha might be receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who could end up getting a lucrative offer to join the team in light of the fact that he's the only potential impact player who is on the market right now.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

http://packers.aolsportsblog.com/

Brett Favre Asked Packers to Trade Him

I wish I could tell you I'm joking, but I'm not. Brett Favre, the biggest name in Green Bay sports, had asked the team to trade him two or three days after the NFL Draft. Favre, who is currently at home and does not plan on attending mandatory minicamp, has not hidden his disappointment with the Packers this offseason. He's been specifically vocal and upset over the Packers inability to land Randy Moss, who eventually went to the New England Patriots for a fourth-round draft choice. "I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win," Favre said in an exclusive interview with Biloxi Sun Herald. This all seems like a bit of a nightmare. Is there such a thing as Brett Favre without the Green Bay Packers? Is there such a thing as the Green Bay Packers without Brett Favre? Well, if he gets his wish there certainly will be. I'm sure the Packers will do everything they can to make this blow over, but things sure have gone South in a hurry.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6805790?MSNHPHMA

Favre asked to be traded

The man who may have the biggest name in Green Bay sports history has asked to be traded. Several Packers and league sources have told FOXSports.com that Brett Favre has requested a trade. Several Packers and league sources have told FOXSports.com that Brett Favre's agent Bus Cook phoned Green Bay's general manager Ted Thompson within two to three days of the draft and asked for a trade. The sources said that Cook railed off how his client was fed up with the organization and wanted out. The shocking request appeared directly related to the team's inability to trade for WR Randy Moss. The news was then relayed to head coach Mike McCarthy, who immediately phoned the Super Bowl winning quarterback to squash his anger. However, the quarterback ignored all his calls for a week, perhaps showing the team how upset he was this time.
Finally, in the middle of this past week the two finally connected. Sources close to the situation said Favre asked McCarthy if he was aware that Cook asked for a trade but McCarthy immediately insisted that would not happen. McCarthy told others inside the organization it appeared the team's head coach had cooled Favre's anger and by the end of the conversation admitted he didn't want to go elsewhere. However, at the same time he has told friends on other teams as well how frustrated he is with the organization's inability to land the former Pro Bowl wideout and that he, in fact, wanted out. Several calls this morning to McCarthy and Thompson by FOXSports.com have not yet been returned. On Saturday, Favre railed against the team in an interview with his local Biloxi Sun Herald....

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

http://packers.scout.com/

Favre sounds off. Quarterback steamed that Packers failed to strike deal Moss.

Brett Favre confirmed Saturday that he indeed was lobbying for the Green Bay Packers to trade for veteran wide receiver Randy Moss. For months, there was widespread speculation that Favre was trying to encourage the Packers to trade for Moss. On Saturday, Favre voiced his disapproval of how Green Bay let Moss slip away to New England during the NFL draft weekend.
“It is disappointing,” Favre told Al Jones of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald during his annual celebrity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. “It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn’t want to restructure his contract were not true. “He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn’t enough, either.” Favre, who is not expected to participate in next weekend’s mandatory minicamp because of off-season ankle surgery, said he knew his comments might irritate the Packers. “This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now,” he told Jones. “I just want to win...."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Offense? What offense?

PackerReport.com's Doug Ritchay explains why the Green Bay Packers will struggle to score points this season after missing the boat early in the NFL draft to add firepower for Brett Favre.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Brett Favre Says Randy Moss 'Wanted to Play in Green Bay

Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre expressed disappointment Saturday that the Packers missed out on acquiring Randy Moss, instead letting the Patriots get him in a trade with the Raiders -- even though Favre says Moss wanted to play for the Packers. "I know what we could have signed him for," Favre told Memphis television station WMC-TV at his annual charity golf tournament Saturday in Tunica, Miss. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we could have paid him. It (was) well worth the risk." Favre added that he thinks Moss would have been a great addition to the Packers. It was the first time Favre has acknowledged publicly what many observers suspected, which is that he was strongly in favor of acquiring Moss to give the Packers one last chance at being a contender during Favre's career. When Favre decided to return for another season in Green Bay, he said he thought the team was on the right track, but his latest comments indicate that he questions the management's commitment to winning.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070512/PKR01/70512050/1989

Favre: Packers wouldn't pay Moss

Veteran quarterback Brett Favre isn’t happy that the Green Bay Packers didn’t trade for Oakland receiver Randy Moss, and he bluntly said so on Saturday. “It is disappointing,” Favre told Al Jones of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald during his annual celebrity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. “It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn’t want to restructure his contract were not true. “He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn’t enough, either.”
Favre conceded he knew his comments would raise eyebrows. “This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now,” he told Jones. “I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way. I don’t want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it’s hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I’ve never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I’m the odd man out here and they just don’t know how to tell me."
Favre, 37, knows time in running out on his NFL career. “Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it’s hard to be optimistic," he told Jones. "I’m not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don’t have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild, but it’s hard to look at where we are going and say, ‘How can they not be rebuilding?" “I don’t know if I’ve lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don’t know if it includes me. If it’s going to be five years from now, I’m not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win.”
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=134018&ntpid=2\

Packers: Favre sounds off on missing Moss

Brett Favre is convinced the Green Bay Packers could have had controversial wide receiver Randy Moss, and while Favre chose his words somewhat carefully Saturday, the quarterback sounded more than a little unhappy with the club for not making it happen. Moss was traded from the Oakland Raiders to the New England Patriots in exchange for a fourth-round pick April 29, the second day of the NFL draft. The Packers also talked extensively with the Raiders - and with Moss' agent about a restructured contract - but general manager Ted Thompson was unwilling to part with more than a fifth-round pick.
Speaking at his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss., Favre told WMC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Memphis, Tenn., the Packers could have had Moss for less than the one-year, $3 million deal he signed with the Patriots. Moss can make $2 million more in incentives. When asked by the reporter if he thought it was a good move by the Packers not to trade for Moss, Favre replied, "No." Then Favre, who reportedly tried to recruit Moss to Green Bay during the drawn-out trade talks that began in February at the NFL scouting combine, added: "I think we could have signed Randy Moss, (and) I know what we could have signed him for. We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we could have paid him. "It is disappointing. It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn't want to restructure his contract were not true. "He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough, either. "You throw Randy Moss, you throw Donald Driver and you throw Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go (with a) three-wide receiver set, I think it's pretty intimidating. "We lost out on that, and it's a shame because I know we could have had him."
Packers pro personnel director Reggie McKenzie said the day after the draft reports that Moss chose the Patriots over the Packers were inaccurate, and that it was Raiders owner Al Davis' decision to send Moss to the Patriots. Moss had career lows in receptions (42), yards (553) and touchdowns (three) last season for the 2-14 Raiders last season. "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," Favre said. "This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now. "Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?' "It was well worth the risk."

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2. DRAFT REVIEWS: Draft gurus generally panned Green Bay's draft, ranking it from a B-minus to a D.

http://www.warroomdraftguide.com/bls_blast/view.php?id=14

Let us start by a listing few things that didn't happen. When the Packers traded down in round two and received an additional third round pick, I thought the Moss trade was a done deal. I had made those aware participating on Chatters draft day chat an hour or more before the Packers second round pick to watch for this scenario. When the trade was finally made, I thought it was being done to garner an addition pick for the Moss trade. When the trade didn't happen even after the move down in round two, I wasn't shocked but I was suprised.
We can get into why or why not a trade wasn't made, but the bottom line is the Packers could have Moss if they desired and they chose not to pull the trigger. If Moss plays like the Moss of old, the decision to bypass on a deal by Ted Thompson will go down as an enormous blunder. There are other ways to improve your team than 95% draft and 5% everything else.
Why didn't the Packers enter the Darrell Jackson sweepstakes? Moss goes for a fourth round pick as does Jackson and the Packers don't get either player? We are not talking about a series of picks or a first or second rounder here, we are talking about a fourth round pick! A team in desperate need of wideout help ends up with James Jones, Aaron Rouse and Allen Barbre when you could take anyone of these players out of the equation and insert Randy Moss and or Darrell Jackson. Now tell me the Packers wouldn't be significantly better off with Moss or Jackson on the roster than one of these draftees? I am not trying to downgrade any of these young men, but Moss or Jackson would have made the Packers better and much sooner. There are other ways to improve your team than 95% draft and 5% everything else.
How about a trade down from 16? The fact of the matter is Thompson had numerous suitors for this pick and he could have acquired at the very least a swap of first round picks along with a second and third or fourth to move down in round one. Thompson could have also pulled the trigger with the Browns and acquired a pick or two in this years draft and a 2008 first round selection because of the Browns interest in QB Brady Quinn. All this tells me is Thompson must think the world of his eventual first round selection DT Justin Harrell. Turning down a 2008 first round pick which will in all likely hood be a top 10 - 15 selection or better along with an additional pick or two in the 2007 draft to hold on to the number 16 pick in the 2007 draft to select almost any player that was available at the time was ludicrous. Watch the Cowboys first round selection in 2008 obtained in the deal with the Browns because it could have been and should have been the Packers pick.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=642293&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 642293.html

Sydney Speaks! Favre a gun with no bullets By Harry Sydney

PackerReport.com’s Harry Sydney has digested the Packers Class of 2007 for the past week. While Sydney lauds general manager Ted Thompson for thinking long-term and building a solid foundation through recent drafts, he feels there is still a big-time need for more playmakers.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070507/PKR07/705070421/1959

Mike Vandermause column: With no key additions on offense, who will score? By Mike Vandermause

The regular season is four months away, so perhaps it's too soon to begin targeting the Green Bay Packers' potential problems. Who can say what hidden roster gem might emerge and make a major impact? But staring at the upcoming season from a distance, there's one nagging issue that can't be ignored. Assuming no significant free agents are signed, a giant question mark looms over the Packers' offense. This is a team that finished in the bottom third of the NFL in scoring last year and froze in the red zone. This is a team that lost featured running back Ahman Green. This is a team that signed no free agents on the offensive side of the ball.
How are the Packers going to score this season? If they ranked near the bottom of the league last year, what's going to change in 2007 with quarterback Brett Favre a year older and no experienced workhorse ready to replace Green? It's possible the Packers will become a spinoff of the Chicago Bears, in which they rely on a dominant defense and happily accept whatever production they can muster out of the offense. It's not the worst way to go, especially if you believe defense wins championships. Ted Thompson, for one, isn't sounding the alarms over a lack of talent on offense. "I think we have a pretty decent group of guys here," the Packers' general manager said of the offense after last weekend's draft. "As a team, I think the best way, the most consistent way, to get better is to get better from within. Our own guys have to try to keep getting better."
That seems to indicate no significant upgrades to the roster will be forthcoming. If the Packers improve on offense, they must do it with the talent on hand. Last year's rookie linemen — Daryn Colledge, Tony Moll and Jason Spitz — are bound to get better, as will promising receiver Greg Jennings. Does coach Mike McCarthy have enough talent to make the offense flourish? Or will the Packers be forced to scratch and claw for every touchdown? "I am never one to complain about who's not here," McCarthy said Sunday following the team's rookie orientation camp. "My focus has always been on who's here." It appears the Packers will use a running-back-by-committee approach that includes holdover Vernand Morency and rookie Brandon Jackson. "The role Ahman played and the job he did is going to have to be shared by some people," Thompson said. "I think it's going to be more of a group effort." That might be the Packers' best and only option, since Jackson never started a full season in college and Morency has been strictly a change-of-pace back in the NFL. History indicates rookie wide receivers typically aren't difference-makers, meaning big things shouldn't be expected of third-round draft choice James Jones or fifth-rounder David Clowney.
With the possible exception of Jackson, the rookie contributions shouldn't matter too much if McCarthy's theory about last year's offensive struggles is correct. "We didn't at the end of the day say, 'Well, we just don't have enough playmakers,'" McCarthy said. "We have players here that we need to put in position to be successful. If we do that and everybody does their job, we'll be more productive." Whether that's a realistic possibility or wishful thinking remains to be seen. __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/packers/index.php?ntid=131974&ntpid=2

Mike Lucas: Packers, Thompson show no sense of urgency By Mike Lucas

The Green Bay Packers could do everyone a favor by signing Keyshawn Johnson to a contract. If nothing else, it would keep him off the air. The loquacious Johnson -- whose autobiography was aptly titled "Just Give Me the Damn Ball" -- was part of ESPN's marathon coverage last weekend of the National Football League draft. Johnson, the TV analyst, actually showed more potential than the insufferable Shannon Sharpe, who already has a steady CBS gig. Johnson might even be passable if he could keep himself out of the conversation occasionally. But, in his own third person world, that would be asking Keyshawn to do more than Keyshawn is willing to do.
What are the Packers willing to do to help the offense and Brett Favre? Not much, according to the national pundits, who have been critical of Ted Thompson and the way the passive Green Bay general manager has been avoiding Favre and his needs. Thompson came under attack Tuesday on ESPN's sitcom, Pardon the Interruption, during which it was reported that Thompson was unwilling to offer a fourth-round draft choice to the Oakland Raiders in exchange for Randy Moss. The suggestion was that Thompson was playing hardball with the Raiders (and maybe Favre) and really not that interested in acquiring Moss. Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson has showed no signs of wanting to upgrade his team quickly, instead he seems to be building for the future.
At least not at that price. At THAT price? We are talking about a fourth-round draft choice, which is what New England dealt to Oakland as part of the deal. There was also the matter of restructured contracts, whether it was Moss or quarterback Tom Brady taking less to make it work. Pardon the interruption here, but it was implied that the Packers just didn't work hard enough to make it work. Especially if the reports are true, and Thompson didn't think Moss was worth a fourth-round draft choice. Heck, Mike Sherman burned a third-round pick on a punter. But Moss didn't have the same value as an unproven fourth-rounder? Get serious. There were other instances last weekend where Thompson may have been guilty of an Ahman Green -- "dropping the ball" -- in the draft. As it is, he has yet to replace Green, adding to the ongoing mystery surrounding the relationship between Thompson and Favre. Do they have a relationship? Do they communicate about team needs? Not Favre's needs, but team needs. Offensively, the Packers need better skill position players. Not to extend Favre's career or appease Favre. But to move the ball, and the chains. How about appeasing the offense?
The NFL draft is akin to college recruiting. And there will be no attempt here to determine whether the Packers had a good draft or a bad draft. That will play out in time. But there is a growing perception nationally that Thompson and Favre are not on the same page. And maybe never have been. That can be traced to Thompson using a first-round pick on a quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, in his first draft with the Packers. How is Rodgers working out? Nobody knows, of course, which may be more of an indictment than endorsement of Thompson's selection. Right now, the general impression is that Thompson has little or no sense of urgency when it comes to Favre and whatever window is left for the Packers and Favre. And that comes off as self-defeating, if not selfish. You want selfish? Sign Keyshawn, a slow, possession receiver, who doesn't mind getting physical as a downfield blocker for the running game. Johnson will be 35 in July. Favre will be 38 in October, making for a potential odd and very old couple. Thompson wouldn't even have to part with a precious fourth-round draft choice to make this work, at whatever price.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/oates//index.php?ntid=132228&ntpid=2

Oates: Packers' draft still hot topic TOM OATES

For fans and critics, it has become the draft that won't go away. No matter how much they try to forget about the Green Bay Packers' performance in last weekend's NFL draft, people can't let it go. It seems everyone has a strong opinion on general manager Ted Thompson, though those opinions are deeply divided. Some wanted Thompson to trade for wide receiver Randy Moss, some were violently opposed to it. Some wanted him to draft an offensive playmaker in the first round, some wanted him to take the best available player. Some wanted him to trade up for a halfback, some wanted him to trade down and gather additional picks.
The only thing people seem to agree on is that quarterback Brett Favre must be seething as he sits on his tractor in Mississippi and wonders why Thompson went a third straight year without adding a sure-fire playmaker to the offense. Some think Favre should sue for non-support. Some think he should have called Thompson and retired on the spot. But with all due respect to Favre, the greatest player in Packers history, it doesn't really matter what he thinks. It's not Thompson's job to make sure Favre is happy with every decision. It is, however, his job to maximize Favre's ability in the final years of his career.
Thompson fell down on the job again last weekend, but not because he didn't placate Favre. It was because he didn't give Favre the means to be fully productive at his age and diminished skill level. That affects the entire team, not just Favre. Despite his timid approach to building a team, Thompson has done some good things in Green Bay. With a whopping 34 draft picks in three years, he has fortified a roster depleted by Mike Sherman's mismanagement of the draft. The one thing Thompson has failed to do, however, is add game-breakers to a sluggish offense. Indeed, it has become increasingly apparent that Thompson is reading out of a 10-year-old playbook, one written by his mentor, former general manager Ron Wolf.
During the Packers' Super Bowl years, Wolf spent his money elsewhere and handed Favre mid-round draft picks at the skill positions. In 1996 and '97, Edgar Bennett (fourth round) and Dorsey Levens (fifth) were the halfbacks, Robert Brooks (third) and Antonio Freeman (third) were the wide receivers and Mark Chmura (sixth) was the tight end. All of those players were good, but none was truly special. The Packers got away with it because Favre was such a dominant playmaker himself. At 37, Favre simply isn't the playmaker he once was. Yet, Thompson is still trying to surround him with good but not great skill players. He doesn't seem to understand that Favre needs more help than he once did.
By refusing Saturday to trade for Cleveland's first-round pick in 2008, Thompson showed he wants to win now. That's why it's curious that he didn't give Favre more help. If Favre is going to be the quarterback, why not give him the weapons he needs at this point in his career? Wolf has said often that his biggest regret is not putting enough weapons around Favre during his prime. Thompson is doing the same thing at a time when Favre needs them more than ever.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=131568&ntpid=3

Oates: Offense passed over again TOM OATES

At least we know who's not running the draft for the Green Bay Packers. It's not quarterback Brett Favre, that's for sure. Nor is it the suddenly vocal Packers fans. If it was, the Packers would have spent their first-round pick in Saturday's NFL draft on a wide receiver or a tight end or some other player who could provide a booster shot for an offense that has been woefully short of playmakers for the past two seasons. But if Packers general manager Ted Thompson had any inclination to throw Favre a bone in the final years of his storied career, it hasn't been evident on draft day. For the third time in three years, Thompson ignored the needs of the team's offense and the wishes of its fans with his first-round pick, which he used on oft-injured Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell.
In doing so, Thompson passed on several pass-catchers - tight end Greg Olsen of Miami (Fla.) and wide receivers Robert Meachem of Tennessee and Dwayne Bowe of LSU - who might have given the anemic offense an immediate lift. Drafting 16th overall, Thompson also bypassed several chances to trade down and accumulate picks even though he probably could have dropped five to 10 spots and still landed Harrell, considered by Thompson and others a top-10 talent were it not for his long injury history. Trading down and losing Harrell wasn't a risk Thompson was willing to take, even if it meant he was booed by offense-hungry fans gathered in the Lambeau Field atrium. Thompson wanted Harrell even though defensive tackle ranked sixth or seventh on a list of team needs for the 2007 season. "We don't draft based on needs," he said. "I know that's boring, and I hate to be repetitive, but we don't think that's the best policy. We think, really and truly, that the more good football players - regardless of position - that you can add to your team, the better off you are as an organization and as a team."
It's hard to argue with that strategy in today's NFL, where building through the draft is the accepted road to success. And any team would love an immovable, run-stuffing tackle, something the Packers' otherwise well-stocked defensive line lacks. However, Thompson has leaned too far toward the best-available-player philosophy and not paid enough attention to need. Since he took over the Packers' draft, his first-round picks have been a quarterback of the future (Aaron Rodgers), a linebacker (A.J. Hawk) and now Harrell. His only real big-ticket acquisitions in free agency have been defensive players - cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett last year.
Unless Thompson is able to complete a much-rumored trade with Oakland for wide receiver Randy Moss, there will be almost no chance to add an impact player on offense in what might be Favre's final season. The Packers picked Nebraska halfback Brandon Jackson late in the second round, but how much immediate help can he provide when he couldn't even start until the final nine games of his career? Third-round wide receiver James Jones of San Jose State is regarded as a developmental pick. Green Bay's failure to add firepower to an already punchless offense that has lost halfback Ahman Green to free agency could spell trouble in the fall - no matter how good the defense is. Thompson admits people might get the impression he's neglecting the offense, but he claims he was just following his draft board with the selection of Harrell. "We felt like he was the best value on the board," Thompson said. "We felt like anytime you have a chance to get a quality defensive lineman of his ability, you have to think about taking him."
Thompson could have made the case that he needed to improve the defense because the rest of the teams in the NFC North added a potential playmaker in the first round Saturday, but he didn't. Detroit took wide receiver Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech with the second pick, Minnesota took halfback Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma with the seventh pick and Chicago took Olsen with the 31st pick. Despite that, the Packers stuck to their long-range plan by picking Harrell. "He's a guy that we really coveted at 16," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "I've said it over and over again, 'We're going to build this football team strong with the offensive and defensive lines.' We've added another excellent football player, excellent prospect to that defensive line group. You just cannot have enough big guys." The defense had better be good because, at the rate the Packers are going, the offense won't be.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/01/postdraft/1.html

Peter King's funny response to fan's email:

PACKER NATION IS NOT PLEASED. Q. "I think the Packers flunked this draft for failing to address any of their needs and giving Brett a chance to win now. Your thoughts?''

A. I don't like having a major need at receiver and drafting the 13th and 21st wideouts in the draft. I said to someone after the first three rounds: "Favre's got to be throwing a shoe through his TV right now.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2858916

ESPN John Clayton's view: Can Brett Favre be happy with the Packers' offseason? Favre had a great time last season. The Packers went 8-8. Favre liked his young offensive line and his young receiver, Greg Jennings. Optimistic about the chances of going to the playoffs, Favre returned for another season. So far, he's been greeted with an offseason in which cornerback Frank Walker was the only acquisition in free agency. He lost his backfield mate, Ahman Green. The running game enters the unknown with rookie Brandon Jackson and Vernand Morency. Nothing was done at tight end. Everyone remembers how Favre struggled mentally and emotionally in the 4-12 season in 2005. He wondered why he came back. Favre hates to lose. He wants one more chance at a Super Bowl, but at the very least, he wants another shot at the playoffs. Football is fun for Favre, but he needs to have more winning to make it fun enough to stay motivated.

ESPN MEL KIPER'S SUMMARY & GRADE: Green Bay Packers: GRADE: C+

Defensive tackle Justin Harrell didn't fill need, but the Packers chose the best available player over need. Harrell was hurt most of his senior season, but that didn't hurt his stock much. RB Brandon Jackson, if he can build on his strong finish to 2006, has a chance to be Green Bay's starting running back. James Jones was a decent third-round pick, a good wide receiver with natural receiving skills; safety Aaron Rouse is just an OK third-round pick; offensive tackle Allen Barbre is a bit overrated because he doesn't play as well as he tested during workouts. WR David Clowney has a lot of speed, and inside linebackers Korey Hall and Desmond Bishop should make it in the NFL as backups. Place-kicker Mason Crosby was a really good find in the sixth round. He has a great leg and has kicked in all kinds of weather playing at Colorado and in the Big 12. Crosby is not a product of the altitude in Colorado. I also liked the Packers' seventh-round picks: RB Deshawn Wynn from Florida and Rutgers tight end Clark Harris
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

TOP HAT'S NOTE: LARGE PACKER NATION POLLS AGREE.

3. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

18% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

82% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

4. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

22% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

78% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

5. ESPN SPORTS NATION HUGE POLL:

21% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

79% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

TopHat
05-13-2007, 06:13 PM
FANS, THIS IS THE OFFICIAL GM TT PERFORMANCE SURVEY THREAD. THE OTHER DOUBLE POSTING THREAD SHOULD NOT HAVE POSTED, AND POSTED IMPROPERLY MISSING INFO LACKING TOTAL UPDATES.

TOP HAT 8-) 8-)

ND72
05-13-2007, 06:13 PM
TOP HAT'S NOTE: LARGE PACKER NATION POLLS AGREE.

3. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

18% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

82% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

4. A SITE'S LARGE SAMPLING POLL:

22% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

78% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

5. ESPN SPORTS NATION HUGE POLL:

21% Give 2007 Pack Draft B or better.

79% Give 2007 Pack Draft C or worse.

cause this is important now. you don't grade a draft until after year 3.

TopHat
05-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Packerblue says, "Wow............now thats a post. Good job putting all that together TopHat."

TOP HAT: THANKS...SOMEBODY HAD TO DO IT.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

TopHat
05-13-2007, 06:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2869070 By Len Pasquarelli ESPN.com

Favre disappointed Packers didn't get Moss

The man who quietly but persistently lobbied hard for Green Bay officials to acquire Randy Moss during the offseason is apparently unhappy that the Packers' efforts to land the veteran wide receiver via a trade with the Oakland Raiders fell short on draft weekend. In interviews during his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss., quarterback Brett Favre acknowledged that he felt the Packers missed an opportunity to add a significant piece to their offense. Preparing for his 17th season in the league, his 16th in a Packers' uniform, Favre never publicly articulated his support for a Moss trade this spring, but the consensus was that he wanted an opportunity to play with the wide receiver.
"It is disappointing," Favre said on Saturday. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we would have paid him. It [was] well worth the risk." But was the three-time MVP angry enough to ask his way out of Green Bay? Amid public grousing from Favre about the state of his team over the weekend, a report on the Fox Sports Web site, citing anonymous sources, said Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft. According to the report, Packers coach Mike McCarthy later called the quarterback and was able to calm his anger, getting Favre to admit that he didn't really want to play elsewhere. In a statement posted on the Packers' Web site, general manager Ted Thompson said he would not address the specifics of the report but understood the frustration Favre vented in interviews over the weekend.
"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," Thompson said. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now." Other Packers officials and Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, did not return telephone messages from The Associated Press on Sunday. Green Bay officials did negotiate with the Raiders during the draft, but Oakland instead sent Moss to New England on the second day of the lottery, receiving a fourth-round draft pick in return. As part of the trade, Moss agreed to reduce his compensation for the 2007 season from $9.75 million to $3 million and to void the 2008 season that was part of the deal. Thompson has not addressed the team's efforts. It has been speculated that the Packers declined to surrender a fourth-round choice in trade talks, and offered only a fifth-round selection. That has not, however, been substantiated.
Favre apparently spoke with Moss on several occasions before the draft. Favre's agent, Cook, was once Moss' agent as well, and still retains a lesser role representing the wide receiver in contract negotiations. That connection, though, is believed to have played no part in Favre's desire to add Moss to the Packers' passing game. Instead, the Green Bay quarterback merely felt Moss could still add an explosive dimension to the Packers' offense.
"The last thing I want to do is start any [controversy]," Favre said. "But I think he would have been a great addition. You throw Randy Moss, you throw [current starters] Donald Driver and Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go three-wide receiver set ... and I think it's pretty intimidating. And we lost out on that, and I think that it's a shame, because I know we could have had him." Favre, 37, acknowledged the obvious, that he is nearing the end of his celebrated career, one that will someday earn him a spot in the Hall of Fame. But he emphasized that he can still perform at a high level and that he wants to finish his career a winner.
"I'm not getting any younger and I think everybody knows that," Favre said. "I don't have five years to rebuild. ... I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win [now]." Favre is rehabilitating from February surgery on his left ankle. There are some questions about his plans for the team's minicamp next weekend, but it is believed that Favre will attend, although he will not be able to participate in any on-field activities.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/

Did Brett Ask to be Traded?

Here's something you don't hear every day. Or ever, for that matter. Brett Favre asking for a trade. That's what a report on the Fox Sports website says. Citing anonymous sources, the report says that Favre's agent, Bus Cook, called Packers' GM Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft. Why? Because, supposedly, Brett was upset that the Pack let Randy Moss slip through their fingers and land in New England. Actually, the word used in this report by Jay Glazer is that Brett was "incensed." In looking at the report on Fox Sports, it appears that the same kind of hyperbole is used in relaying this story as in most of its televised news shows. For example, Cook just didn't merely request the trade with Thompson, he "railed off on how his client was fed up with the organization and wanted out." OK. Maybe it was heated or maybe it wasn't. But unless it was a party line phone call (am I dating myself with that reference?), the only two people that know the context of that call -- if there was one -- are Cook and Thompson. Cook may be more likely to talk...that is his job in way. It's Thompson's too, just doesn't do much of it and, when he does, doesn't say much. So, who knows how upset Brett was?
Brett, of course. And here's what he said Saturday in an interview with reporters during his charity golf outing in Mississippi: "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way. I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me. Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?' I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win." Brett is not a happy camper.
According to a report on ESPN.com, "In a statement posted on the Packers' Web site, general manager Ted Thompson said he would not address the specifics of the report but understood the frustration Favre vented in interviews over the weekend. 'I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human,' Thompson said. 'Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now.'" Fans have already expressed their disappointment with this year's draft. Today, after this latest story broke, sport talk radio -- at least in some part of the Packers' home state -- were abuzz with fans calling in to rip Ted Thompson a new one. While fans were apparently evenly split beforehand about the possible trade for Moss, now hearing that Brett may have asked for a trade after that didn't happen is enough for some to jump on the dump Thompson bandwagon. That, of course, won't happen. At least, not yet. If, however, the Packers languish on offense this year as a result of missing the Moss trade and failing to acquire a new quality starting running back to replace Ahman Green, and -- Brett decides to hang up his cleats because he doesn't like what he sees -- Thompson just might find himself with no more room to maneuver. Time will answer many of these questions (at least that's what the Magic 8 Ball advisor says!).

ND72
05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
"citing anonymous sources"

That means as much to me as dirty underwear.

Rastak
05-13-2007, 06:39 PM
"citing anonymous sources"

That means as much to me as dirty underwear.

I guess the obvious question now is, how much does dirty underwear mean to you? I'm hoping you'll say not much.....

ND72
05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I wash them to get rid of the dirt....fact is, I could write a story, ask my cousin about what he thinks, and then put "citing anonymous sources".

Rastak
05-13-2007, 06:49 PM
I wash them to get rid of the dirt....fact is, I could write a story, ask my cousin about what he thinks, and then put "citing anonymous sources".

Actually, kidding aside, there is a fair amount of evidence. Favre's official site seemed to confirm it then changed to "everybody calm down". Next, Jay Glazer, who is pretty good, cited "several sources" within the Packers. This doesn't sound to me like something he just made up. I don't think it's a big deal because I doubt he really wants to be traded anyway. He's just pissed.

ND72
05-13-2007, 06:51 PM
agreed...but I just hate reading a story that says citing anonymous sources....if you can't tell me who, don't write the damn story.

Rastak
05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
agreed...but I just hate reading a story that says citing anonymous sources....if you can't tell me who, don't write the damn story.

Man, that's true of all walks of life......shit, we just found out about the watergate snitch. Sometimes people will get fired if they go on record.....

TopHat
05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=134033&ntpid=1

Packers: Favre demanded a trade after draft

Brett Favre was so upset with the Green Bay Packers in the aftermath of the club's failure to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss the quarterback demanded a trade. Citing Packers and NFL sources, FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer reported shortly after the April 28-29 NFL draft, Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, called Packers general manager Ted Thompson and told him Favre was fed up with the organization and wanted out. Two NFL sources confirmed to the State Journal Sunday Favre indeed had Cook ask for a trade, although both sources said they believed Favre was simply reacting emotionally to the team not getting Moss, whom Favre had recruited himself during the offseason. Favre also had lobbied the team to add Moss.
But because Thompson was only willing to give up a fifth-round pick for Moss - according to an NFL source with direct knowledge of the trade talks - the Oakland Raiders instead sent the controversial receiver to the New England Patriots for a fourth-round selection April 29. Thompson did not make himself available for interviews Sunday, but he did not deny Favre demanded a trade in a story posted on the club's Web site Sunday afternoon. Attempts to reach Favre were unsuccessful Sunday. The Packers will hold their full-squad, mandatory minicamp this weekend, and while Favre was expected to attend, it's possible he might skip the three-day session because he is still recovering from Feb. 26 surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle and will be unable to take part in the on-field workouts. If he does attend, it's unclear whether he'll speak with reporters.
According to Glazer's report, when Cook called and made the demand, Thompson told Cook no such trade would happen, then relayed Favre's trade request to coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy, in turn, immediately called Favre, only to have his calls ignored for a week. Finally, midway through last week, Favre and McCarthy spoke. Glazer appeared on Madison-area radio station WTLX (100.5 FM) Sunday and said Favre has since backed off his trade request. "He had asked to be traded, but before Packers fans panic and go nuts here, I think he has come off of that (stance) since," Glazer said during the show "Vick & Wood" with Ken LaVicka and Aaron Goldhammer. "He was clearly upset. ... When (McCarthy and Favre) finally spoke this past week, Brett told Mike that yes, he had asked for a trade, but then within the conversation, (Favre) said, 'Look, I don't want to go anywhere. You know I don't want to go anywhere. But I'm just fed up with what's going on.' "I don't know how intent (Favre) is (on a trade) now, but two weeks ago, he asked to be traded."
Through a team spokesman, Thompson declined all interview requests Sunday, referring reporters to an interview he did with Packers.com. The story was titled, "Thompson optimistic about 2007." In that interview, Thompson was asked specifically about any recent dialogue with Favre and whether or not the quarterback had asked the team for a trade. Thompson replied, "We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of our organization. We try to encourage open and honest dialogue with players and their agents. But if those talks later are shared with third parties, the willingness of players to be open in future conversations may be compromised."
Glazer's story broke early Sunday afternoon, one day after Favre criticized the team in two separate interviews with two media friends - Jarvis Greer, the sports director at WMC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Memphis, Tenn.; and Al Jones, a writer for the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald - at Favre's annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. "We could have signed Randy Moss, (and) I know what we could have signed him for. We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we could have paid him," Favre told Greer. "It was well worth the risk. The last thing I want to do is start anything. But, I think he would have been a great addition (along) with Greg Jennings and Donald Driver ... and a run game that right now is in question because we lost (starting halfback) Ahman Green (in free agency) and we have to replace him with one of our young guys. "You throw Randy Moss, you throw Donald Driver and you throw Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go (with a) three-wide receiver set, I think it's pretty intimidating. We lost out on that, and it's a shame because I know we could have had him."
Meanwhile, Favre told Jones the team's failure to land Moss was "disappointing," called reports Moss wouldn't restructure his contract with the Packers "untrue" and suggested that after 15 seasons in Green Bay, the team might not want him as its quarterback anymore. "I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," said Favre, who also told Jones that he offered to give up part of his $11 million salary in 2007 to get the Moss deal done. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that, 'We pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win.' I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me.
Later, Favre added, "Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?' "I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win (now)."
Asked in the Packers.com interview about Favre's comments, Thompson said, "I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time - that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

Kiwon
05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
IMO, this is a "bubble year" for TT.

5 wins or less - start to look in another direction.

6-7 wins - (with injuries and without a season ending losing streak) - iffy

8 wins or more - he gets one more season.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
If the Packer offense scores more this year than last year, does the entire board owe Thompson an apology?

This instant analysis is mind-boggling.

I voted Other: I supported him after he was hired and I still think he should be given the entire contract to work with. I generally think we are going in the right direction.

This, at least to me, is not bandwagoning.

Offense? What offense?

PackerReport.com's Doug Ritchay explains why the Green Bay Packers will struggle to score points this season after missing the boat early in the NFL draft to add firepower for Brett Favre.

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
6-10 = Likely to be fired
7-9 to 8-8 = High pressure
9-7 wildcard = safe for one more at least
10-6 division or wild card = 2 more years minimum

packinpatland
05-13-2007, 07:17 PM

Man, that's true of all walks of life......shit, we just found out about the watergate snitch. Sometimes people will get fired if they go on record.....

We don't even know for sure who 'you're so vain' is yet, for heaven's sake. :roll:

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 07:17 PM
If the Packer offense scores more this year than last year, does the entire board owe Thompson an apology?

I don't think anyone will appologize because he should have made us better but they certainly should get off his back if the team performs.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
You can disagree about the Packers cap situation in 2004/2005, but you can't say they were allowed to walk. Both Rivera and Wahle received offers that the Packers weren't close to matching and the Rivera money was stupid.

Sharper was much closer, but I never shared the glowing assessment of his play that the writer has.

Thompson has said under their cap situation they could have signed one of them. So this argument comes down to cap flexibility or Wahle.

The Packers were more than an Offensive Line away from competing. The North wasn't a powerhouse and winning three division titles didn't mean they were competing for a Super Bowl. They were being beaten regularly and clearly in the playoffs.

This was not a team on the cusp of greatness, it was in decline.

It has seemed obvious that Thompson wanted to tear the Packers down and rebuild with his own coaches and players since the end of 2005. That might be good for some teams, but the Packers had just won three consecutive division titles before Thompson walked in the door. In 2005 he let three very important players walk away (LG Mike Wahle, RG Marco Rivera, and FS Darren Sharper), then the Packers best player from 2004 is lost for the season (WR Javon Walker), then RB Ahman Green is injured for most of the season, and all the free agents Thompson signed were busts.

TopHat
05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070513/GPG020801/70513035/1989

Did Favre seek trade after Moss deal fizzled? Source thinks QB is still committed to Packers

Within a few days after the draft, Brett Favre apparently asked the Green Bay Packers to trade him, but indications suggest he’s now not pushing for a deal to another club. Favre was and remains upset the team didn’t acquire receiver Randy Moss in a trade he lobbied General Manager Ted Thompson and Moss to complete. The quarterback publicly expressed his frustration on Saturday to reporters covering his annual charity golf outing in Mississippi. On Sunday, the Fox Sports Web site cited anonymous sources saying Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, called the team a couple of days after last month’s draft and asked the Packers to trade his client.
Favre never said or suggested to reporters Saturday he wants to be traded. But he said that the failure to acquire Moss from Oakland - the Raiders dealt him to New England instead - is evidence Thompson is rebuilding for a couple of years down the road. The 37-year-old Favre is down to his perhaps his last year or two in the NFL and wants a better chance to win now. A source close to Favre told the Press-Gazette on Sunday that Favre might have talked about wanting a trade shortly after the draft but has given no such indication recently. Favre finally spoke with coach Mike McCarthy in the last week or so, the first time the two had talked since the draft.
“He wouldn’t be doing these offseason workouts and all that (if he wanted a trade),” the source said. “He’s been busting his (butt). I don’t see him not playing for (the Packers). It wouldn’t surprise me if he told (Cook) or somebody that (he wanted a trade) - he was mad - but he wouldn’t be busting his (butt) like this.” It remains unclear whether Favre will attend the Packers’ mandatory minicamp this weekend. Favre will not take part in the practices because he’s recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle, and the source said Favre would prefer to remain in Mississippi working out rather than attend the camp. But at his golf outing, Favre left open the door to attending the camp.
Favre is close to being fully recovered from February’s surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle. He’s been rehabilitating and also performing the core-strength oriented workout program with the same personal trainer he hired two years ago for the most rigorous offseason training of his career. Favre appears especially upset about the failed Moss trade because he thought a deal could have been completed easily. It’s not entirely clear why the trade fell through on draft weekend, but a major factor appears to be that Thompson insisted Moss take part of his $3 million salary in substantial weekly roster bonuses that would be paid only if he played each week. Moss would have taken the $3 million salary but rejected the roster-bonus contingency. Favre on Saturday said he offered to give up an equal amount of his $11 million salary to cover the cost of Moss’ roster bonuses, which is believed to be in the range of $800,000 to $1 million.
However, salary-cap room is not an issue for the Packers, because they are about $15 million under the $109 million cap. Thompson responded to Favre’s statements over the weekend with a written press release Sunday. “I think it’s natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time - that’s simply human nature,” Thompson said. “Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now.” Thompson said in the release he won’t comment on whether Favre or Cook asked for a trade. “We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of organization,” Thompson said.
Thompson also defended his method of rebuilding the Packers, and said they’ll be better this year even without trading for Moss or signing any skill-position players for the offense in free agency. “We feel like we’ve had a great offseason program,” Thompson said. “Our guys are getting bigger and stronger, and we’ll improve from within. We’re also excited about the players we’ve added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team.”

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Other.
I was completely neutral about Thompson when he was first hired - how can any new GM be evaluated before he's had a chance.
After watching the patient, solid, tough decisions & moves he's made, and seeing a floundering Packer team get back on the road to respectability, he has earned my support.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I'll admit I thought it would be 50-50 as far as being happy with TT

At this point it looks like one out of three are pleased with him

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Where is the "QB Brett Favre Performance/Distraction Evaluation" survey?

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Where is the "QB Brett Favre Performance/Distraction Evaluation" survey?

Whoever states the idea is obligated to make the poll :lol:

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm surprised it is that high. The casual fan will here that our draft sucked and we didn't sign anyone so the GM must be awful.

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd like to, but I have only recently mastered turning the computer ON, let alone designing a poll.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm surprised it is that high. The casual fan will here that our draft sucked and we didn't sign anyone so the GM must be awful.

Did we sign anyone ? :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 10:18 PM

The casual fan wouldn't be on a Packer's message board.

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Did we sign anyone ? :lol: :lol:

LOL.......nope

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Favre has always been too honest. No big surprise to me that he'd be honest here. Remember Super Bowl or bust. Remember ripping Javon and sticking up for Bubba. Remember his frustration with no offensive FAs signed last year.

I've been a moderate Thompson supporter who has stayed optimistic. I get the building through the draft. I get avoiding FAs even (although not to the extent he apparently does). What I don't get is: why even go after Moss? If he wasn't going to offer more than 5th round pick and a reasonable contract, why bother? Also, why bother even showing interest in Keyshawn Johnson?

Spaulding
05-13-2007, 10:32 PM
I picked OTHER. I was not a Thompson fan when he started and am still on the fence but as I don't see of any way to clearly gauge a GM in just a few seasons I'm evidently one of the minority willing to give him another year or two.

I see the GM position (barring gross mis-judgements) as a five year tour where the first three drafts set the bar for the total five year run and then it would be monitoring the maturation of the draft choices and the direction of the team to determine the GM's accomplishments.

Given TT's personality and drafts are about as exciting as CSPAN I can certainly see the call for arms but here we are at the beginning of year three and we still really don't know what his draft picks will turn out like.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I picked OTHER. I was not a Thompson fan when he started and am still on the fence but as I don't see of any way to clearly gauge a GM in just a few seasons I'm evidently one of the minority willing to give him another year or two.

I see the GM position (barring gross mis-judgements) as a five year tour where the first three drafts set the bar for the total five year run and then it would be monitoring the maturation of the draft choices and the direction of the team to determine the GM's accomplishments.

Given TT's personality and drafts are about as exciting as CSPAN I can certainly see the call for arms but here we are at the beginning of year three and we still really don't know what his draft picks will turn out like.

Good point. Quite honestly, I would have picked OTHER also, but I didn't want to write up an explanation.
:D

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Favre has always been too honest. No big surprise to me that he'd be honest here. Remember Super Bowl or bust. Remember ripping Javon and sticking up for Bubba. Remember his frustration with no offensive FAs signed last year.

I've been a moderate Thompson supporter who has stayed optimistic. I get the building through the draft. I get avoiding FAs even (although not to the extent he apparently does). What I don't get is: why even go after Moss? If he wasn't going to offer more than 5th round pick and a reasonable contract, why bother? Also, why bother even showing interest in Keyshawn Johnson?

Completely agree, although I'd call myself moderately pessimistic about TT.

I too am confused about Moss; if you are going to show interest, you might as well make it happen for a fourth.

And I'm still completely baffled by the 1st round.

If you can get Cleveland's first round draft pick next year, why in the world would the great rebuilder not take that ?

At Cleveland's slot, they still could have drafted Sydney Rice or Jarrett and have a top 10 pick in the draft next year. TT must have fell in love with Harrell to turn down that deal; that's out of character for him.

Brohm
05-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I voted Other:Explain

I support the "build through the draft" mantra that has been TT's motife in rebuilding (yes...rebuilding). It's not like he has not tried in FA...remember Lavarr Arrington last year and a couple other spurns (that we now feel lucky on). He also hit on Pickett and Woodson (cannot deny the impact they had on D). We'll see how Manuel turns out in TC.

This year the FA class stunk but there were some stopgap players that maybe could have helped. Would Griffin, Hamlin or Grant helped? And are they bettter than the youngsters we got now?

I do believe he was counting on the Moss trade as his biggest free agent/trade splash. There just has to be more to this story than we are privy too, and some sort of GM "Code of Ethics" he is sticking too we probably never will. TT may have been played and there are all sorts of rumors out there as to what happened and how. He may have errored in not completing the deal before the draft, if he indeed could have.

What actually happened, who knows, but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet. Randy Moss signed a 1 year deal, maybe we get a shot at him next year. Maybe he won't be worth it. Maybe he is the one that cornholed TT. At this point it is irrelevent. If it was he who errored, I doubt he would make that same mistake twice. He look wiped and taken aback after the first day. Let's see if he can recover and wheel and deal to get us the help we need (like V. Morency) and get the young guys up to snuff and see where they take us this year.

If the Packers do not progress this year, then it's time for a smackdown, as 5 years to a SB is good, 5 years to even have a winning record is bad.

swede
05-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Sorry.

I'm on the bandwagon.

TT is a grown up.

He has a plan and sticks to it. He doesn't get a hard on for names, but he does respect talent. He spends money carefully. He rewards our best players and keeps them on the team.

I have begun slipping off the Favre bandwagon.

He is still my favorite player, author of many happy memories. But his off-season act is really growing old.

It's one thing for "fans" dressed up for some kind of green and gold Mardis Gras to boo draft picks and talk stupidly about not signing Free Agents or drafting Bowe or Meacham or whoever Mel Kiper had on his board.

It is another thing to have Brett fire off like that.

Brett will be a great quarterback again if we can get him into training camp without retiring.

But he sure does suck at off-season public relations.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 12:15 AM
http://www.packerbackerblog.com/

FAVRE. It's shaping up to look like Favre vs. Thompson is going to be an interesting 2007 story. Over the weekend, there was a bunch of new evidence that Favre and Thompson won't be writing nice things on each other's Facebooks walls. Favre had some carefully chosen words on Saturday to a reporter at his golf fundraiser. [Extreme paraphrasing] "Thompson coulda signed Moss and he didn't, but I don't want to make a big deal about it." (You can read the real quote here.) Sure, Brett didn't want to make a big deal out of it. Not according to Fox. Late Sunday, the sports radio shows were lit up talking about this Fox Sports report in which Favre's agent requested a trade from the Packers. And according to Jason Wilde, Thompson did not deny that Favre asked to be traded.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A0WTeQ8aQ0hGjUIBYBHsYNAF?slug=ap-packers-favresfrustration&prov=ap&type=lgns

TOP HAT'S NOTE; TT ISSUES PR ON WEBSITE.

Packers' Moss miss leaves Favre fuming, but did he ask out? By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

The Green Bay Packers left Brett Favre fuming when they didn't pull off a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss during the NFL draft. But was the three-time MVP angry enough to ask his way out of Green Bay? Amid public grousing from Favre about the state of his team over the weekend, a report on the Fox Sports Web site, citing anonymous sources, said Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft. According to the report, Packers coach Mike McCarthy later called the quarterback and was able to calm his anger, getting Favre to admit that he didn't really want to play elsewhere. In a statement posted on the Packers' Web site, Thompson said he would not address the specifics of the report but understood the frustration Favre vented in interviews over the weekend.
"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," Thompson said. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now." Other Packers officials and Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, did not return telephone messages from The Associated Press on Sunday. The Packers' mandatory minicamp begins Friday, and it was not clear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, would attend. McCarthy said during the team's rookie orientation last weekend that he expected Favre to be present, even if he wasn't able to practice while he continues to recover from the surgery.
Favre didn't mention anything about wanting a trade in interviews he conducted during his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. on Saturday. But Favre did make it clear that he believed the Packers passed on a chance to make "a steal" of a deal for Moss, who instead was traded from Oakland to New England April 29. "He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald. "But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn't enough either."
Favre, who has flirted with retirement during the past several offseasons, told the team in February that he would return for his 17th NFL season. But he now wonders whether the Packers want to move on without him as part of a long-term rebuilding movement, a sentiment he has hinted at in the past. Thompson and McCarthy have consistently said that they want Favre to keep playing.
Favre said he has faith in the team's desire to win, but wonders whether the Packers won't become a contender again until after he retires. Green Bay improved from 4-12 in 2005 to 8-8 last season, but hasn't made any major additions through free agency. "I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win," Favre told the paper. "I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win."
Thompson said he is optimistic about the team's chances to win right away. The Packers have locked up several of their own key defensive players to long-term deals this offseason, including cornerback Al Harris, linebacker Nick Barnett and defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins. "We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within," Thompson said. "We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."

Would You Want Your Team to Trade for Brett Favre?

So Brett Favre wants to be traded. Actually, I doubt he really wants to be traded so much as he just feels frustrated that he wants to go out a winner and doesn't think the Packers' front office is taking the right steps toward that. But it still raises an interesting question: Would you want your team to trade for Favre? Statistically speaking, Favre is still an above average quarterback. But he's not one of the league's elite quarterbacks anymore. By my count, there are five NFL quarterbacks who are unquestionably better than Favre right now: Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Marc Bulger, Carson Palmer and Tom Brady.
Another 10 quarterbacks might not be unquestionably better than Favre right now, but they're at a point when there's no reason their teams would want Favre: Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger, Philip Rivers, Steve McNair, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Leinart, Eli Manning, Vince Young, Matt Hasselbeck and Alex Smith.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 12:45 AM
http://packers.scout.com/2/643737.html

Favre, Packers on shaky ground By Tomlinson

PackerReport.com's Dylan Tomlinson offers his thoughts on how Brett Favre's frustration over the Packers' inability to trade for Randy Moss has doomed his once solid relationship with the team.

Brett Favre may be the most beloved man in Wisconsin, but that doesn't make his relationship with the Green Bay Packers any less dysfunctional. Favre complained to the Biloxi Sun Herald on Saturday about Packers general manager Ted Thompson's inability or unwillingness to pull the trigger on a trade for receiver Randy Moss. Favre's frustration is understandable. He's going to play one, maybe two more seasons and he wants to be playing for a contender. In all likelihood, he won't be with the Packers.
Unless receiver Greg Jennings becomes a superstar during his sophomore season or rookie running back Brandon Jackson is able to have the same kind of rookie season that Joseph Addai had in Indianapolis or Maurice Jones-Drew had in Jacksonville, the Packers are going to be much worse on offense than they were a year ago.
Favre wants to play for a team that will contend during the 2007 season. Based on Thompson's desire to build through the draft rather than trades or free agency he appears to be building a team that will contend in a year or two [REALLY? LAUGHABLE PLAY TO TT], which is when Favre will be spending the football season hunting, golfing and sitting on his tractor in Mississippi. "There are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me." Favre told the Sun Herald.
Favre is exactly right and that's why this relationship is doomed to end badly. Thompson knows he can't trade or cut Favre. While the Dallas Cowboys cut Troy Aikman, and the San Francisco 49ers traded Joe Montana, that's still not enough precedent for Thompson to get rid of the best player in franchise history. He knows such a move would get him run out of town. Favre could take some of the pressure off Thompson by publicly requesting a trade, but even by doing that, he would be showing that he doesn't like the team's direction and that would likely reflect very poorly on Thompson and McCarthy, and could cost both their jobs.
Right now the most realistic scenario for all parties is that Favre plays for the Packers during the 2007 season. He can break Dan Marino's touchdown record and collect his $11 million salary and then walk off into the Mississippi sunset as Thompson and McCarthy prepare Aaron Rodgers to be the starter for the 2008 season. But that would be too neat and tidy and that's not how Favre operates.
Favre has spent the last six seasons threatening to retire. Favre has spent the last two off-seasons being extremely critical of Thompson because he doesn't want to be held responsible if the Packers have another season similar to 2005, when they went 4-12. Favre will accept the credit if the Packers win, but if they struggle, he wants to be sure Thompson is to blame. There's no way Favre will let Thompson's laissez-faire attitude toward trades and free agency soil his legacy as one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history [AMEN].
Favre has said repeatedly that his dream is to leave the game the same way John Elway did, after winning a Super Bowl. Right now, it's hard to imagine any way Favre could accomplish that, especially not with the Packers. Favre has a Super Bowl title, three MVPs and is likely a few games from becoming the most prolific touchdown passer in NFL history. Apparently, the only thing he can't do is find a way to gracefully walk away from the game.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 06:01 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070514/PKR07/705140464/1989

Mike Vandermause column: Thompson has critics lining up

How many more punches can Ted Thompson take? The Green Bay Packers' general manager has been booed by fans and questioned by the media. And now, in the biggest blow of the offseason, he was called out by quarterback Brett Favre. Favre's comments on Saturday were so critical that Thompson felt compelled to issue a response Sunday on the Packers' Web site.
A brutally honest Favre, at his celebrity golf tournament in Mississippi, said he was disappointed the Packers failed to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss, who instead was traded to the New England Patriots. Favre also expressed deep frustration at the Packers' failure to improve the offense. Favre reportedly was so upset about losing out on Moss that two weeks ago he asked the Packers to trade him. While Favre made no mention of that demand Saturday, he lashed out at the plight of the Packers' offense. "Our offense struggled last season," Favre said. "If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic."
That's a resounding indictment of Thompson's offseason performance, particularly his failure to add firepower to the offense. Coming from the team leader, those words had to sting. Why else would Thompson have been prompted to defend himself?
But it's important to keep Favre's comments in perspective. It's not as if Thompson is dealing with an all-out mutiny. Favre is a fierce competitor who wants to win, and he wants to win now. He's not a disgruntled player blasting his team because he didn't get his way. Favre called the Packers "a first-class organization," and based on his public comments, appears prepared to do whatever he can to help the team succeed. But there obviously is a difference of opinion between Favre and Thompson about how to accomplish that goal.
Favre wants Thompson to display more urgency. While Thompson methodically has laid a foundation for the future through the draft, he has been reluctant to make bold moves this offseason to address glaring needs. Favre isn't blind. He scans the roster and sees no proven, featured running back. Other than Donald Driver, he sees a collection of untested receivers. He sees a lineup of tight ends with limited ability to stretch the field. Favre wanted an offensive playmaker so badly he said he offered to give up a portion of his paycheck to guarantee Moss' salary in Green Bay.
In fairness to Thompson, he can't make roster decisions based on how Favre or any other player reacts. He must do what he believes is in the best interest of the Packers. But Thompson will have a hard time explaining why acquiring Moss for a fourth-round draft choice and $3 million in guaranteed money — the price the Patriots paid for him — wouldn't have given the Packers the best chance for success. Addressing the team's short-term and long-term needs is a difficult balancing act, and Favre apparently is caught in the middle.
If Thompson is building a team capable of winning a championship in two or three years, what's the point of keeping Favre around? That's what Favre seems to be wondering. If Thompson wants to win a championship in 2007, why wouldn't he make a stronger effort to acquire Moss, or some other offensive playmaker? These are difficult questions, and Favre is not alone in looking for answers.

BallHawk
05-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Sorry.

I'm on the bandwagon.

TT is a grown up.

He has a plan and sticks to it. He doesn't get a hard on for names, but he does respect talent. He spends money carefully. He rewards our best players and keeps them on the team.

He is still my favorite player, author of many happy memories. But his off-season act is really growing old.

It's one thing for "fans" dressed up for some kind of green and gold Mardis Gras to boo draft picks and talk stupidly about not signing Free Agents or drafting Bowe or Meacham or whoever Mel Kiper had on his board.

Brett will be a great quarterback again if we can get him into training camp without retiring.

Swede, I 100% agree with everything you said.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 07:31 AM

Just Trade Me By Brandon

It looks like QB Brett Favre was really pissed off when the Packers didn't trade for WR Randy Moss and then he demanded a trade after the draft. According to Jay Glazer at FOX Sports, what happened was that Favre didn't answer his phone for a week so he could calm down and he then straightened it all out Mike McCarthy. The trade request would probably have never gotten out except Favre was very honest with Al Jones, a reporter at the Biloxi Sun Herald.
GM Ted Thompson had to make a response but then he comes out with this garbage. He can't talk about Moss specifically because he is a player on another team. Also, he understandably doesn't want to discuss anything said in confidence between him and Favre. But he says nothing about the key statement made by Favre that "there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me." Instead Thompson says he's optimistic, excited, and "we've had a great offseason program." As if all the team needed was a better workout program. This wasn't a response and he avoided the questions.
I still think Thompson wants Favre retired so he build a team with his guys. Jason Cole is the only other writer online that I've read who acknowledges that Thompson might want Favre gone. Tom Silverstein suggested that Favre's comments are directed at his teammates and suggest that Favre "doesn't think the current players are good enough" but I think Silverstein is way off and it's clear that Favre is angry at Thompson and not at his teammates. Someone would lose their job if Moss was on the Packers roster, but Favre is obviously not upset at who is on the roster and is upset that the Packers missed out at acquiring a formerly elite wide receiver. Tom Silverstein goes into some of the nuts and bolts about how the Packers could trade Favre, but I didn't even read that part of his article. I don't care about it. Favre will never win another MVP award, but the team is better with him in 2007 than without him. Favre should stay with the Packers and Thompson still has some questions to answer.

pbmax
05-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Its fine to say Favre is angry not at the teammates but at Thompson.

But you have to close your eyes and hope if you want to believe that Favre doesn't think his teammates aren't up to snuff.

What else would he be mad about, the training camp schedule? Ticket prices? Color of the carpet in the lockerroom?

Just Trade Me By Brandon

It looks like QB Brett Favre was really pissed off when the Packers didn't trade for WR Randy Moss and then he demanded a trade after the draft. According to Jay Glazer at FOX Sports, what happened was that Favre didn't answer his phone for a week so he could calm down and he then straightened it all out Mike McCarthy. The trade request would probably have never gotten out except Favre was very honest with Al Jones, a reporter at the Biloxi Sun Herald.
GM Ted Thompson had to make a response but then he comes out with this garbage. He can't talk about Moss specifically because he is a player on another team. Also, he understandably doesn't want to discuss anything said in confidence between him and Favre. But he says nothing about the key statement made by Favre that "there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me." Instead Thompson says he's optimistic, excited, and "we've had a great offseason program." As if all the team needed was a better workout program. This wasn't a response and he avoided the questions.
I still think Thompson wants Favre retired so he build a team with his guys. Jason Cole is the only other writer online that I've read who acknowledges that Thompson might want Favre gone. Tom Silverstein suggested that Favre's comments are directed at his teammates and suggest that Favre "doesn't think the current players are good enough" but I think Silverstein is way off and it's clear that Favre is angry at Thompson and not at his teammates. Someone would lose their job if Moss was on the Packers roster, but Favre is obviously not upset at who is on the roster and is upset that the Packers missed out at acquiring a formerly elite wide receiver. Tom Silverstein goes into some of the nuts and bolts about how the Packers could trade Favre, but I didn't even read that part of his article. I don't care about it. Favre will never win another MVP award, but the team is better with him in 2007 than without him. Favre should stay with the Packers and Thompson still has some questions to answer.

Zool
05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Other: Its football, and its not something that should disrupt anyones life.

Fritz
05-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Just a reminder: IF the offensive line stays healthy, it ought to be - by dint of having year of experience and an off-season of lifting for the two rookie guards - a much better unit than last year. Jennings, again IF he stays healthy, ought to also be much better. Thus, I do not understand how a writer can so confidently assert that the Packer offense will be worse than last year's edition.

Ahman Green? I hoped TT could re-sign him but Houston paid ridiculous money for him and I am glad TT did not try to top that. This is the same Ahman Green, who, after all, has been frequently lambasted for his early season fumbling problems, and who by all accounts last year was not the same guy he used to be - and now he's a year older. He also missed some playing time last year, too.

Again, I don't share the writer's assertion that Green Bay's offense will be worse this year. I think it will be better, if the team stays healthy.

As for Favre's comments about "if it wasn't for the defense..." - well, isn't that what a good defense does? Help you win? How can you discount that?

Spaulding
05-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Brohm, Swede - nice posts. I agree fully with the comments. When I see logical debates for both sides over here, I always head back over to the JSO for a dose of the Jerry Springer forum for the drama and grade school flaming that goes on over there. Then come back to here and wonder how I got by without this site.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 10:15 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18646038/ by a freelance writer MV

Indecisive Pack should’ve traded Favre by now. QB right to be peeved by his own team's lack of direction.

I often wonder what goes on inside the war room of an NFL team during the annual draft. I’m sure I can guess: Lots of hushed but frantic chatter, shuffling of index cards, rustling of paper, shoving aside of pizza boxes, and the TV drone of the ESPN crew. I get all that. What I don’t understand is why it takes teams so long between picks. Surely a team has done so much homework up to that point that, considering which players had been selected up to that point and which ones are left, the choice at a particular pick should be a fairly simple matter. But I guess what I wonder most about is what the Green Bay Packers do on draft day. They must be quite a sight. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in their war room, although the exchanges would probably be fairly monotonous: “What do you think?” followed by “I don’t know. What do you think?”
I bet the only reason the Packers make any decisions at all — and I’m talking not just about the draft but free agency, parking, the brand of bratwurst for the annual picnic, the team’s colors (they’re the same every year, but I’m sure club executives are still unsure) and whether to go with boxers or briefs — is because they’re part of a 32-team collective and the other organizations lean on them to go ahead and choose already.
I bring this up because Brett Favre reportedly has asked the Packers to trade him, which is fascinating because I believe the primary reason he wants to be traded is because the Packers have failed to trade him. I know what you’re saying: “Huh?” But follow closely. The Packers are wimps. They’re terrified of Brett Favre. Each year Favre’s future becomes a huge news story, much bigger than it warrants. The Packers sit around on pins and needles waiting for Favre to tell them which direction the franchise will go: With him, or without him. They have to wait for Favre to tell them that because they can’t decide for themselves. They’re frightened that if they got rid of Favre, fan backlash would be fierce enough to require Red Cross intervention. In fact, Favre has become not just a future Hall of Fame quarterback, but a dictator in the most literal sense, because he is dictating to the people he rules over (the Green Bay Packers) what they will and will not do.
But now a report on the Fox Sports web site suggests he asked for a trade after the draft because he took a look at the team in its present form, he realizes that it stinks, he understands that the main reason it stinks is because it’s petrified to make a major move and lacks the guts to do something like trade Brett Favre, and so he wants out. If they had simply traded him a couple seasons ago rather than sit and do nothing, he wouldn’t have to ask for a trade now. See? It’s simple.
The crux is this: Favre is frustrated because he is the front man for a franchise that is going nowhere, and he’s tired of that role. He asked for a trade now because the New England Patriots pulled the trigger and acquired Randy Moss, a wide receiver to which Favre longed to throw. Because he was so upset that Moss went elsewhere, he decided the Packers were going nowhere. That’s why he reportedly asked for a trade. But the Moss thing was just the final, high-profile straw. Favre’s underlying dissatisfaction centers on the Packers’ inertia. And there is no better example of that than the team’s indecision on trading Favre....

CONTINUED: Favre sees teams improving, but not Packers[/b

Favre will be 38 in October, he will be entering his 17th season and he certainly has looked at the NFL world around him with the eyes of a man whose time in the game is rapidly expiring. The six playoff teams in the NFC last season — Philadelphia, Dallas, New York Giants, Chicago, New Orleans and Seattle — arguably should be in contention next season as well. In addition, teams like Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Arizona all have a shot at competing for a playoff berth. Over in the AFC, there is even renewed optimism at Raiders’ camp. The Raiders, for Pete’s sake! They were atrocious last season, but there’s talk they could conceivably double their victory total in 2007. That would be four wins, but hey, it’s an improvement.
[b]Favre sees teams taking steps to get better while he sees his Packers doing zilch. Moss is indeed a head case and, if the Packers struggled at some point in the season, Randy is not the type of teammate to pull a Knute Rockne and rally the fellows to follow his inspirational lead. But it was worth the risk. In the right environment, Moss could still be a superstar. Obviously the Patriots felt that way or they wouldn’t have taken on a contract that calls for Moss to receive about $21 million in base salary over the next two seasons. Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald that Moss was willing to “wipe his contract clean” and sign for $3 million guaranteed, but that the Packers were not willing to go for it. Favre even said he was willing to guarantee that portion of the contract out of his own money. Still no deal. But again, it isn’t just Randy Moss. The Packers have done little to improve other than lock up some of their key defensive players to contracts. It’s foolish to go out and spend money like Daniel Snyder, but it’s equally boneheaded to stand pat when standing pat means settling for mediocrity. This will all blow over like yesterday’s news. The Packers begin their mandatory minicamp on Friday, and Favre may or may not be there, since he is recovering from surgery in February to remove bone spurs from his left ankle. If he shows, he’ll make nice and say the trade demand was taken out of context or overblown. If he doesn’t show, the team will spin it to suggest all is well and that he is busy rehabbing. Yet behind the scenes, Brett Favre would be wise to demand that the team show some gumption by trading Brett Favre. That’s the kind of decisiveness he’s been waiting to see.

Rastak
05-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I was just thinking, didn't Favre call the 2006 Packers the most talented team he'd ever been on?

mraynrand
05-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Harv, maybe you make a move to get Moss to placate Favre. Maybe you don't sign Moss because there are those that don't want him here and you already have on serious problem at WR.

mraynrand
05-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Ahman Green? I hoped TT could re-sign him but Houston paid ridiculous money for him and I am glad TT did not try to top that. This is the same Ahman Green, who, after all, has been frequently lambasted for his early season fumbling problems, and who by all accounts last year was not the same guy he used to be - and now he's a year older. He also missed some playing time last year, too.

Plus, Green missed valuable time ALL THE TIME, due to his asthma. Just look to 2003 - and the number of successful drives that stalled, due to Green coming out for a breather - including the incredibly important final drive of the first half in the Divisional playoff game with Philly. Tell me that had Green stayed on the field, the Packers wouldn't have scored a TD. This happened more often than not. The new guys plus the collection of RBs could easily be better than what they had with Green last year.

gureski
05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I vote other and here is why:

My stance on Thompson is that he's done a great job of restocking the team with talented youth. Despite Thompson's success in the draft, he has failed in free agency and trades. Furthermore, though Thompson has really redid the team salary cap, he has not done anything with it and every team ended up with extra cap room due to the CBA being done last year. Thus, I believe that Thompson is performing adequately as a GM but I don't like the job he's done with respects to winning now. I don't know if it's fair for me to hold it against him because his job is to ensure winning in the future but I am irritated, for two years now, that THompson hasn't done more to win now. I didn't want to rebuild when they fired Sherman. It's why I would've held onto Sherman the coach longer. Changing coaching staffs cost the Packers a playoff spot last year which cost the team a shot at a superbowl. Were we the most talented team last year? Not by any reach but just getting to the playoffs and having a player like Favre could've turned into a superbowl spot.

Thompson came in and chose to rebuild. For that effort, I give him a B+. On the flip side, Thompson came in and chose to lose now. For that, I give him an F. He hasn't stepped up to give the team tools to win with and though I think this year's class is a poor example of opportunities missed in free agency, I certainly can point to last year and the year before and the many players Thompson could've signed but didn't (mainly safeties) that could've helped the team win some games. Hell, when the bodies were dropping like flies a couple years back, Thompson was signing guys name TACO to fill need positions. I disliked that very much. I love the way Thompson drafts. I hate the way he has chosen to not do the little things he could do in order to give the team a chance to win now.

IF Thompson screwed over Favre with the Moss thing and played politics by making it seem as if he wanted Moss but then, when he actually had the chance, said no....then I may have a problem with Thompson. We just have to see what the facts are before going there.... That and the fact that the off-season isn't over yet. Thompson could still do some things. If Larry Johnson ends up getting traded to G.B. then I have a sneaky suspicion that Thompson's job rating will skyrocket and everyone will be happy for a while. We have to wait and see what else happens with trades, June 1 cuts and other...

BooHoo
05-14-2007, 11:09 AM
I liked the hiring of TT. Did not know much about him but after reading about his expereince I thought he was a good choice. So far I have been a TT bandwagon guy but thought this year he was to laid-back. Possibly he could have been more aggressive.

I wondered if he called Oakland at all during the draft to see if the trade was going to happen? It appears he sat back and waited for day two and found out by the media that Moss had been trading to New England. :roll:

PackerBlues
05-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Again, I find myself agreeing with Gureski. While Thompson has in fact turned our cap situation around, and he has added youth to our team, he has been all but invisible in FA.

People can argue until they turn blue that our Offense will be improved over last year due to time spent in the weight room and the year that they have played in our system. That would however be pure speculation and does not change the fact that they could not put points on the board last year. The Lions had a better scoring percentage than us last year, how sad is that?

TopHat
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Brett Speaks

In a statement posted on the Packers official website about all the brouhaha regarding his supposed demand to be traded, Brett Favre says the following: "I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me. As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."So...that's it then. Or is it?

Does He or Doesn't He?

As in, does Brett want to be traded or doesn't he? That is the question which has Packerland in near hysteria. Based upon Brett's own comments over the weekend about his extreme disappointment that the Packers did not acquire Randy Moss, and subsequent news reports that his agent called Packers GM Ted Thompson after the draft demanding a trade and reports that Brett didn't take calls from Coach Mike McCarthy for nearly a week afterward, it would seem...well, we'll only know when Brett decides to say. Thompson and McCarthy aren't talking.
But the surprising thing -- at least to this Packer fan -- is that in a poll today in the online version of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel a slight majority of nearly 5,000 persons responding (as of the time of this post) said if Favre wants a trade the Packers should do it. Wow. Here are the results so far: An angry Brett Favre asks the Packers to trade him. Should they do it? ACTUAL RESULTS: 51% NO 49% YES.
One of the other things being reported is that Brett may not attend the upcoming minicamp as a sign of his displeasure. Because he is rehabbing from his ankle surgery the plan was that he wouldn't actually participate in any activities anyway but would still attend. If nothing else, it might give him a better opportunity to see exactly what some of the new additions to the offense might be able to bring to the field. Brett wasn't too impressed with last year's draft either on the offensive side of things. Yet, it didn't take Brett long to discover that then-rookie Greg Jennings might become one of his favorite receivers. Granted, there is no one with the pedigree of Moss. But there just might be someone with the game and a heckuva lot better attitude.
On the other hand, it is easy to understand Brett's frustration. The Pack has one of the best quarterbacks -- arguably the best -- to ever play the game, in the twilight of his career, still being productive and competitive, and it doesn't seem as if much effort is being made to put the veteran pieces in place to provide a legitimate shot at the playoffs and Super Bowl. Maybe these new kids will surprise everyone. Or maybe they will just disappoint and frustrate Brett to the point where he decides to retire or demand a trade to a team that can give him one last shot for another ring.
The Packers have salary cap room. They have veteran leadership at a number of positions despite being the youngest team overall in the league last year. Whether the team's management and coaching staff know how best to make it all click remains to be seen. But one thing's for sure: if it isn't clicking with #4 -- on or off the field -- all is not well in Packerland.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=643826&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fstory.scout.com%2fa.z%3f s%3d61%26p%3d2%26c%3d643826

Crunch time By Todd Korth

Favre, Packers should part ways, but five good reasons why it simply
won't happen this year.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

http://www.railbirdcentral.blogspot.com/

Plenty of mixed messages

It's really hard to gauge the extent of quaterback Brett Favre's discontent with the Green Bay Packer organization. Favre is upset, that much is clear. He's miffed that the team was unable to obtain wide receiver Randy Moss in a trade. Favre even offered money from his own contract to help pay for Moss. So does Favre really want a trade? Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writes, "Until quarterback Brett Favre speaks on the matter in full, the depth of his resentment toward the Green Bay Packers' front office for not working out a trade for Oakland receiver Randy Moss won't be known."
Well, fans may not have gotten it from the horse's mouth, but Favre's own brother has let it be known that Favre did indeed ask for a trade. "Favre's brother, Scott, tells TMJ4's Lance Allan that Brett's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson the day after the draft and asked for a trade," according to Silvia Acevedo of WTMJ in Milwaukee. Furthur interviews with Scott Favre aired on WTMJ indicate that Favre would still be open to the idea of a trade. And meanwhile, the Green Bay Press-Gazette headline reads, "Favre trade talk likely no big deal."
According to reporter Pete Dougherty, "Within a few days after the NFL draft, Brett Favre apparently asked the Green Bay Packers to trade him, but indications suggest he's now not pushing for a deal to another club." Also a matter of contention is whether Favre will show up to mini-camp this upcoming weekend as well. Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel says, "(Head coach Mike) McCarthy is confident he will show up, a source said Sunday." But WTMJ reports, "Favre won't be able to practice in the upcoming mini camp because he is still recovering from surgery on his left ankle. But he probably will stay away because he is still steamed over this whole issue." One final thing to note ...Silverstein reports, "Favre created a maelstrom when he expressed dissatisfaction with the team's effort to obtain Moss. But he apparently doesn't want to fuel the fires any more. On his personal Web site, the site administrator posted a message that said Favre wanted to tone things down about his displeasure with Packers management." Stay tuned.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=605108

Favre: 'I don't want to be traded' Also, Packers QB says he'll miss minicamp due to daughter's graduation

Brett Favre will not attend the Green Bay Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend because of his daughter's upcoming graduation, he told a reporter in Mississippi this afternoon....

TOP HAT: I SENSE A SHADOW COMING. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freak Out
05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Other.
I had heard of TT from his days with the Seachicks and had no probem with him being given the reigns to the team but I do not agree with his penny pinching 100 percent. If this year is a big struggle for the offense and we end up 8 and 8 or worse again when he could have added some firepower with either Moss or Turner.......you have to roll the dice sometimes. If the Pack starts to win and is very competitive over the next few years then TT will be a hero... but if the :shtf: after old #4 leaves and then its the firing squad for him.

The Shadow
05-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry.

I'm on the bandwagon.

TT is a grown up.

Nicely put - well stated.
I agree.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
8-) 8-)

The Leaper
05-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Other.

I've been mostly supportive of Thompson. I agree with his approach to be conservative most of the time and build through the draft. However, I disagree with his indecision and inability to seal the deal when opportunities present themselves.

I first spotted this in the Walker saga...where Thompson refused to talk with Walker and bypassed a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to work with Javon on a deal that favored both sides and allowed Walker to save face. Now, Thompson bungles an opportunity to land an impact WR on a team that converted only 16 of 49 red zone opportunities the year before.

I'm not ready to fire him yet...he deserves to have a chance to prove his draft choices and coaches can continue to improve the team.

Good luck TT.

TopHat
05-14-2007, 11:43 PM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=644006&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 644006.html

Sydney Speaks! Can’t they all just get along? By Harry Sydney

Ted Thompson has a plan. Favre wants to win now. PackerReport.com’s Harry Sydney provides an insiders point of view on how a communication breakdown has created an awkward situation between the two.

FAVRE'S ESTATE: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6936/favremansionli1.jpg

TopHat
05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2206

Brett Shows Frustration All Packer Fans Are Feeling by Capasso

I am not one to usually believe the rumors stating what Favre, Thompson, McCarthy, or anyone else in the Packer organization may or may not have said without documented evidence of the fact. On the other hand, I have seen enough quotation's around Brett’s recent comments at his golf outing to believe that he showed at least some disdain about that fact that Randy Moss was not signed by the Packer general manager Ted Thompson. I believe that he was expressing feelings that many Packer fans have been feeling over the entire off season…… frustration. Although I do not believe that Favre ever asked to be traded, I have heard rumors to that effect however, I haven’t seen him quoted as saying so by any credible sources.
Favre made a statement today denying that fact that he wants to be traded and is looking forward to playing with the team this year. I can see how Favre and many Packer fans can be frustrated with the approach that Mr. Thompson is taking to turn the present Green Bay Packers team around. It is not a fast approach by any means. Many look at a team like New Orleans and say if they could go from last to first in one year why can’t the Packers? Well there are several reasons. New Orleans had a younger and more talented core of players than the Packers had. They also picked up a QB in Drew Brees that ended up having a Pro bowl year. The Packers have a much harder uphill battle to climb. Poor drafts and weak player negotiations over several years left the youth and talent pool pretty much dried up. Thompson had the chore of not only replacing the aging starters but also building up the reserves and depth of the Packers. On top of that he walked into camp with a very unfriendly salary cap situation that forced him to release several popular and talented players. The players and fans of the Green Bay Packers however want a championship team…. NOW.
Some General Managers may have gone another way and filled the gaps with some more popular draft picks and by signing expensive free agents. In doing so they may have made themselves a more competitive team today, possibly giving them a shot of getting to the Super Bowl this year. But at what price? Could those teams possibly be looking at severe salary cap issue in the next several years? The possibility of overpaying several free agents may mean that they could have a one and done shot at a Super Bowl. This is the route some General Managers take to try to save their jobs but signing glorified free agents in an attempt for a 'quick fix' is not the way to get to the Super Bowl, or to create a dynasty. This is not the route Thompson chose to take. Thompson chose to build a team by expanding the core of talent with young talented draft picks and little known free agents that were 'under the radar'. That is why he has not picked the 'popular' picks that would fill the immediate gaps for a team that is making a run for the Super Bowl this year. Are the Packers a Super Bowl-bound team this year? Sorry...it probably is not! Are we getting better? Yes! Are we filling some of the voids on the team? Yes! Are we going to become a dynasty overnight? No! Will it be in the near future? Let’s hope so. We as Packer fans will have to be patient and wait for the seeds that Thompson is planting to bloom. I want to see the Packers win the Super Bowl led by Brett Favre as much as anyone but for that to happen I am afraid that Brett is going to have to play another year or two. Hence ..Brett’s and our frustration grows

GrnBay007
05-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Sorry.

I'm on the bandwagon.

TT is a grown up.

Like I've said before, I'm probably in the major minority here when I say I'm not upset with Brett saying what he did. He voiced the opinion of thousands of Packer fans. I think it's something that needed to be said and maybe after the dust settles will work out for the best. I think Harv posted somewhere that one of Favre's biggest faults is his honestly. Well damn, in a NFL world full of gang bangers and drug users, I guess I find a player....a HOF'er... being honest, nothing to get irrate about. Lots of players speak their mind, but because this is Favre it gains national media attention.

As for Thompson...I'm not against him, but I do wonder how so many people are pro Thompson...anti Favre during all this. TT may turn out to be one of the best GM's...but he's unproven at this point in GB. Thompson gave us a good draft + a little FA help in 2006....that's all we know for sure. Favre has been a faithful Packer for 17 years!! It makes me sick hearing all the Favre bashing going on in these threads. I seriously hope I don't hear the same people gushing over Favre during the 2007 season as he's breaking records.

TopHat
05-15-2007, 12:20 AM
You are in the majority 007. You are just honest great Packer fan.

TopHat
05-15-2007, 08:03 AM
DOES FAVRE NEED MORE PLAYMAKERS?

YES 67%
MAYBE 18%
NO 10%
OTHER 2%

TopHat
05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
When is TT responsible for the results of this squad?

Day 1: The 4-12 season was all TT fault. 12-4 with MS 3 votes
Year2: 8-8 was all on TT 1 votes
Year3: 2 drafts, Now it is fully his team 49 votes
Year4: Hey, if it works for the Lions, it works for me. 19 votes

TopHat
05-15-2007, 08:27 AM
http://bratsandbeer.com/

Just Selling Papers

By now you’ve all probably heard or read the rumor that Brett Favre asked the Packers to be traded after the Randy Moss deal fell apart. The amazing part of the story, to me anyway, is that it was FOX Sports and not ESPN that got the scoop on this one. Was Mort Anderson taking a nap or on vacation? So is it true? Obviously Jay Glazer at FOXSports.com thought it was substantial enough to pen a lengthy article on it, though there at no direct quotes from anyone backing up the claim. The Press-Gazette, on the other hand, says it was just No. 4 blowing off steam, quoting someone close to the three-time MVP as saying “he was mad — but he wouldn’t be busting his (butt) like this.” Which leaves us to wonder, is it true? Maybe. I bet Favre was upset that the Packers didn’t follow through and trade for Moss — why he’s so convinced the Randy Ratio still can play I’m not sure — and maybe he said something like “maybe I’ll ask for a trade.” Maybe his agent Bus Cook did call Ted Thompson and told him Favre was upset and thinking about asking for a trade. But was anyone serious about this plan? I just find it hard to believe.
On the other hand, a major sports franchise GM generally should not piss of his marquee player to the point of trade rumors getting tossed around in the press. It seems like there needs to be a little better communication between TT and his star veteran. As Jib at the Wisconsin Sports Bar puts it, “It was a piss poor piece of people managing on Thompson’s part.” I’m sure this will all blow over in a week or two, and by the time trainging camp starts Favre will be talking up his team like they are the second coming of the Lombardi era. In the meantime, though, this story should keep all the pundits at ESPN busy.

TOP HAT: ISN'T THAT THE POINT?

gureski
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
According to the article in the Journal Sentinel (dated 05/14/2007), Favre outright denied asking to be traded. Fox, NBC, and other news networks ran with the story based on anonymous sources.

Here is a clip from the article:

"But that does not mean Favre is holding out to force a trade. In fact, he denies ever asking for one on the Biloxi Sun Herald Web site.

"I did not say that, or anything about a possible trade," Favre told the paper.""

and this:

"According to a FoxSports.com report Sunday, Favre was so incensed over the failure to obtain Moss that he had his agent, James "Bus" Cook, call the Packers several days after the April 28-29 draft and ask for a trade. The Wisconsin State Journal cited two sources that confirmed the trade demand, albeit as an emotional reaction on Favre's part."

It's rather obvious that this was not a real demand for a trade, the way it was portrayed in the media. This was Favre making a pissed off comment that some news sources decided would be a nice way to make headlines and $$$$. I'd guess ESPN didn't run with it because it wasn't credible. They knew it would be shot down.

TopHat
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM

He never ever wanted to be traded, honest: I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me.
As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life.
I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good. He really doesn't deny asking for a trade in the above statement, but he told Al Jones that he never asked for a trade. It sounds like this story is all over and there is no where else for it to go. Now QB Brett Favre and GM Ted Thompson can go back to hating each other in private.

TopHat
05-15-2007, 05:43 PM
http://pu2006.typepad.com/packerupdate/

PACKERS STILL DOING IT WOLF'S WAY

While Brett Favre rails against his team’s inability to land wide receiver Randy Moss, it’s high time to put to rest the idea that Ted Thompson has ignored the offense since taking over as general manager 28 months ago. True, he hasn’t bolstered that side of the ball with any notable free agents, but he’s selected one quarterback (Aaron Rodgers), one running back (Brandon Jackson), three wide receivers (Terrence Murphy, Greg Jennings and James Jones) and two linemen (Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz) on the first day of the past three drafts. That’s certainly not a case of ignoring the offense. It’s simply a matter of philosophy.
“Thompson, like Ron Wolf before him, believes that you build an offense primarily through the draft,” said a person familiar with the situation. “Ideally, you want the skill players to grow up together. Wolf had Favre, Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, William Henderson, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks and Mark Chmura in the mid-90s. Thompson is hoping to have similar success with Aaron Rodgers, Brandon Jackson, Greg Jennings, James Jones, etc. in the years to come.” A strong defense, at least according to this philosophy, is much easier to put together by piecemeal. “Wolf acquired veterans Reggie White, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson and Eugene Robinson,” added the source. “And Thompson has brought in Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson and Marquand Manuel. It’s the same basic blueprint.” The big difference, of course, is that Wolf had a 25-year-old Favre and one of the greatest defensive players in the history of the league to help speed the process along.
Critics of Thompson will point to Wolf’s daring acquisition of Pro Bowl tight end Keith Jackson prior to the start of the 1995 season as a major difference between the two men. And while there’s no question that the teacher was more aggressive than the pupil appears to be, there’s also one big caveat. Wolf knew how close those Packers were to winning it all and he believed that Jackson could be the missing piece to the puzzle. Meanwhile, the current team is nowhere close to being a legitimate Super Bowl contender. “I can certainly understand Favre’s growing frustrations, but he’s not really part of the equation,” said the source. “This team is being built for the long haul, and right or wrong, Thompson is doing it his way.” And as it turns out, he’s also doing it Wolf’s way. Whether the payoff is the same remains to be seen.

TopHat
05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=605987

Coming to Favre's defense

According to Steve Young, the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre are working on different agendas: Favre wants to win tomorrow and the Packers are building to win beyond tomorrow. Young made his comments Tuesday afternoon on ESPN Radio. The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback said Favre was not being selfish or putting himself above the team for expressing frustration about not getting help to make Packers a championship contender before he retires.
"He's a made man," Young said of Favre. "In a way he's like Jerry Rice, who many times would complain and moan. But because he works so hard and has accomplished so much that instead of being selfish, was (perceived as) all I want to do is win. . . . In that way he is a little bit protected." Young said the Packers started retooling two years ago and "were moving on" to build for the future. "As an organization, I think they are fundamentally looking to build a championship football team, not necessarily building a team for tomorrow to help Brett Favre win a championship," Young said. "So those two things don't meet. It's not against anybody. It's just that they are not going to meet. When I found that out with the 49ers in 2000, I retired. If we weren't going to go for a championship, I was at an age where that's not what I wanted to do. Brett decided differently, like Jerry Rice."
Perhaps clear communication about these matters has not taken place between Favre and the Packers. "(Favre) is one of the best players in professional football history," Young said. "It's his career. If he is going to stick around and he has done so much for his team, it's not selfish to say, 'Look, I want help, if we are going to go for a championship.' Or the Packers need to say, 'We are not playing for championships; we are building a team over a period of time.' They do this little dance step where neither of them says what they really mean. Unfortunately, it's put them in a little bit of a jam with each other and that's why I think Brett reacted.
"I think he thought, 'Look, I'll come back. We had a nice finish to the season. We get a couple of nice pieces, including Randy Moss, look, we can win it.' I know what Brett's thinking. 'I can sneak one in and leave like John Elway on the horse. Leave and be a champion. But I need a couple of weapons.' When they let it pass and they didn't get him . . . I think it left him empty." The two sides are looking at winning in different ways.
"To me the Packers are doing what they think is best," Young said. "Totally fine. Brett is doing what he hoped would be best. That's fine. There has been some miscommunication or some expectations that weren't met. That's the reaction. I think you are in a tough spot with a Hall of Fame football player playing late into his 30s and the team is thinking, 'We are a long way from a championship and we will do something different.' Philosophically they are in different places. They are going to have some rough patches."

Better of arms race

Boomer Esiason of CBS-TV said the New England Patriots had done for Tom Brady what the Packers had failed to do for Favre: give the quarterback better weapons to win a championship now. "From a guy who used to sit in a seat quite like his I can understand his frustrations," Esiason told Sirius NFL Radio, referring Favre's comments last weekend. "The older you get the more help you need around you. It's not that they don't have good young players in Green Bay. There's just no sizzle… "The unfortunate thing for him is that he's a thoroughbred - now, he's rounding that final turn - but he takes a look and sees what New England is doing for Tom Brady. And look at New England and how they went out and they've actually this off-season tried to get their thoroughbred some really good players to play around him because Tom Brady has been playing with less-than-stellar players at the wide receiver position." Esiason said Favre was "going to have to fight through another hard year in Green Bay because they just don't look like a team that's going to be able to make the playoffs."

Green not surprised

Houston Texans running back Ahman Green said the frustration that Favre expressed in recent days was to be expected. Green, who played for the Packers from 2000-'06, made his comments during an interview Tuesday night on Sirius NFL Radio. Green was asked about Favre's frustration after Moss was acquired by the Patriots. "Wasn't surprised at all," Green told Sirius NFL Radio, referring to Favre's publicly expressed dissatisfaction. "With the stuff that had transpired the last several months with me leaving, David Martin and William Henderson exiting, that basically brought on what happened this past weekend. It doesn't surprise me. The only thing I'm surprised about is it didn't happen any sooner."
"The things that he works with on the offense are kind of gone, myself as a runner helping him with the running game, Will blocking, David Martin one of the tight ends catching balls. Randy Moss, bringing him to Green Bay would have been another weapon for his arsenal. With him not being there that just kind of added to the frustration."

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Coming to Favre's defense

According to Steve Young, the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre are working on different agendas: Favre wants to win tomorrow and the Packers are building to win beyond tomorrow. Young made his comments Tuesday afternoon on ESPN Radio. The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback said Favre was not being selfish or putting himself above the team for expressing frustration about not getting help to make Packers a championship contender before he retires.
"He's a made man," Young said of Favre. "In a way he's like Jerry Rice, who many times would complain and moan. But because he works so hard and has accomplished so much that instead of being selfish, was (perceived as) all I want to do is win. . . . In that way he is a little bit protected." Young said the Packers started retooling two years ago and "were moving on" to build for the future. "As an organization, I think they are fundamentally looking to build a championship football team, not necessarily building a team for tomorrow to help Brett Favre win a championship," Young said. "So those two things don't meet. It's not against anybody. It's just that they are not going to meet. When I found that out with the 49ers in 2000, I retired. If we weren't going to go for a championship, I was at an age where that's not what I wanted to do. Brett decided differently, like Jerry Rice."
Perhaps clear communication about these matters has not taken place between Favre and the Packers. "(Favre) is one of the best players in professional football history," Young said. "It's his career. If he is going to stick around and he has done so much for his team, it's not selfish to say, 'Look, I want help, if we are going to go for a championship.' Or the Packers need to say, 'We are not playing for championships; we are building a team over a period of time.' They do this little dance step where neither of them says what they really mean. Unfortunately, it's put them in a little bit of a jam with each other and that's why I think Brett reacted.
"I think he thought, 'Look, I'll come back. We had a nice finish to the season. We get a couple of nice pieces, including Randy Moss, look, we can win it.' I know what Brett's thinking. 'I can sneak one in and leave like John Elway on the horse. Leave and be a champion. But I need a couple of weapons.' When they let it pass and they didn't get him . . . I think it left him empty." The two sides are looking at winning in different ways.
"To me the Packers are doing what they think is best," Young said. "Totally fine. Brett is doing what he hoped would be best. That's fine. There has been some miscommunication or some expectations that weren't met. That's the reaction. I think you are in a tough spot with a Hall of Fame football player playing late into his 30s and the team is thinking, 'We are a long way from a championship and we will do something different.' Philosophically they are in different places. They are going to have some rough patches."

I think Steve Young said it best among the national media right here. I've echoed his sentiments on this forum.

TopHat
05-16-2007, 01:39 AM
http://www.620wtmj.com/_content/sports/billmichaels/index.asp

Final 4?

Randy Moss isn’t a Green Bay Packer. The majority of us found out that fact on day two of the NFL Draft. Brett Favre and Bus Cook apparently found out a week to ten days earlier. According to a source, close to both the team and Brett, Bus Cook was informed of the Packers lack of interest in acquiring Moss prior to the draft. Cook then informed Favre of Ted Thompson’s choice not to pursue the controversial wide receiver. Upset at the lack of interest in bolstering the offense, but unwilling to believe that the Packers wouldn’t at the very least make a “play” for Moss, Favre decided to keep his feelings confined to those around him until draft day. After the announcement was made that indeed Moss was a Patriot and that it only took a 4th round draft pick to garner the services of the veteran receiver, Favre spouted to Cook that he ”wanted out”. He wanted to be traded to a team that would give him the opportunity to be a serious post-season contender.
Cook contacted Thompson and Brett’s displeasure was conveyed to the Packers GM. It took Mike McCarthy to calm the waters, so to speak. McCarthy, after a week of trying to contact Favre, finally received a return phone call from the Packers signal caller. Favre told McCarthy that he’d be a man of his word and return to the Green Bay Packers. Favre admitted that he really didn’t want to part company with the storied franchise but that he’s more than frustrated with the team for not supplying him with the offensive talent to give him another legitimate shot at an NFC title.
Favre’s demands and discontent leaked to the media and that’s when the spin went into effect. In a statement released on the Packers website Favre stated, “I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me. As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good.”
According to 2 separate sources, their opinion is that if Favre plays well this season (2007) then he’ll return for another year but it will NOT be with the Green Bay Packers. If Favre doesn’t play up to his own expectations, he’ll walk away from the game, to his tractor in Hattiesburg and ultimately to that anticipated day when he slips on that gold jacket and unveils his bronze bust on the historic stage in Canton.
Enjoy this year Packers fans, this appears to truly be Favre’s last hurrah. Question, if the Packers finish the 2007 campaign 11-5 and play deep in to January, would that convince #4 to don the green and gold once again? We’ll have to wait and see.
Note: Lance Allan of Today’s TMJ4 is reporting that a spokesman for the Packers has stated that the upcoming mini camp is mandatory and that anyone not in attendance is subject to fine. As we all know, Brett has stated that he will NOT be attending the mini camp this weekend. He’s rehabbing his surgically repaired ankle and he’ll be attending the high school graduation of his oldest daughter.

TopHat
05-16-2007, 01:45 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/PKR01/70515211/1989

Packers: Favre not excused from minicamp QB plans to skip mandatory practice

Though Brett Favre told a newspaper in Mississippi he won’t attend the Green Bay Packers’ minicamp this weekend, it appears he and the team haven’t made that decision yet. The Biloxi Sun Herald reported on its Web site Tuesday that Favre said he’ll miss the camp because his recovery from offseason ankle surgery won’t allow him to participate in practice. He prefers to remain in Mississippi to work out, rehabilitate his injury and take part in activities surrounding his oldest daughter’s graduation from high school. Coach Mike McCarthy was unavailable for comment Tuesday but through a team spokesman gave no indication that Favre has been excused from the mandatory camp, at least not as of Tuesday evening. All signs suggest Favre and McCarthy will talk before making the decision. The minicamp runs Friday through Sunday. “As far as (McCarthy) is concerned, it’s a mandatory minicamp,” said Jeff Blumb, the Packers’ director of public relations.

TopHat
05-16-2007, 01:49 AM
[quote="HarveyWallbangers I think Steve Young said it best among the national media right here. I've echoed his sentiments on this forum.[quote]

I AGREE.

TopHat
05-16-2007, 01:58 AM

Report: Favre Says This is It...At Least in Green Bay

We know that Brett Favre was not happy with what transpired with the Packers' most recent draft. He was frustrated with the lack of the Pack's ability to trade for Randy Moss. Now he says he's not going to attend this weekend's mandatory minicamp because he'd prefer to continue his ankle rehab in Mississippi. Only problem is, Coach McCarthy hasn't excused him from participating. Hmmm...
Tonight, according to a report on WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee, its sister radio station 620WTMJ-AM is reporting (follow that, folks: this is a report of a report of a report!) that Brett has told Coach McCarthy that this will be his last year with the Packers; either he will retire or he will ask to be traded at year end because he can no longer play for Ted Thompson. Oh boy. This report flies in the face of the upbeat "statement" by Brett posted on the Packers website yesterday in the aftermath of all the Moss hubbub. Something doesn't fit. They both can't be correct. Brett is already starting to lose some of his luster among national sports pundits. On a number of sports talk shows yesterday, when the question was raised as to whether Brett was a selfish player, some of those answering came to the conclusion that it seems so based upon his on again-off again retirement dalliance last year, and the Moss situation now. Others say that after all Brett has given and meant to the Packers organization they should do what they can to accommodate him; it's not about being selfish, it's about putting players around Brett so the team can succeed.
Fans are also turning more and more against Thompson. In an online poll reported yesterday at WTMJ-TV, when asked how to respond to the most recent situation, more than half the respondents answered "Fire Ted Thompson" over "Trade Brett Favre" and "Do Nothing". Things seem like they are getting messier rather than better. There might be some indication as to whether it is going to get better or worse as the weekend minicamp draws near. Stay tuned.

TopHat
05-16-2007, 09:40 AM

Don't They Have A Phone?

The pissing match between QB Brett Favre and the Packers just keeps on trucking. Now Favre isn't excused from minicamp although he won't be able to participate anyway. Favre has rarely participated at minicamp over the last ten years because he is often recovering from some injury or surgery. I'm certain he has skipped minicamp in previous years. Favre isn't a mentoring type of guy, so the Packers lose nothing if Favre skips out. It's surprising to see so much back and forth going on in the media. Usually players and coaches give each other a call, but GM Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have been pretty bad at media and star player relations over the last week.

TopHat
05-16-2007, 12:19 PM
8-) 8-) 8-)

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/16/counterpoint-packers-should-choose-battles-carefully/#cont

Counterpoint: Packers Should Choose Battles Carefully

Earlier, the great Michael David Smith penned yet another Brett Favre piece for the FanHouse. In it, he makes the case that the Packers should fine their veteran QB if he ends up skipping the team's minicamp this weekend. It's a compelling argument, really. But it's wrong. Why is it wrong? Well, let's first make something abundantly clear. This isn't news to the Green Bay Packers. They bumped the minicamp back in an effort to get Favre fully recovered from his February surgery before the camp. Secondly, it's not set in stone that Favre will skip the camp, or that head coach Mike McCarthy won't excuse Favre from attending. As reported in this morning's Green Bay Press-Gazette, it appears that Favre and McCarthy will communicate before any decision is formally made by either side.
The crux of the "Don't fine him" argument is centered around the idea that Brett Favre couldn't give the Packers organization any more than he has given them. He's been the face of the franchise since that fateful touchdown pass to Kitrick Taylor that beat Cincinnati way back in 1992. He became a sympathetic figure of sorts when he revealed his painkiller addiction in 1996, then went on to lead the Packers to a Super Bowl championship. He doesn't beg out of practices. He doesn't miss starts, no matter how banged-up he may feel. He's never been accused of "dogging it" or "taking plays off". Outside of his painkiller issues in the mid-1990s, he's never gotten in trouble off the field. He's not known as a bad influence on teammates.
If he wants to take the weekend off and spend it with his family (a family that, by the way, has also sacrificed time after time because of football), I guess I don't see why it's such a big deal. Fining Favre sends a message that no one is above the team, right? Well, what about last year, when McCarthy and Favre sat down and figured out a special workout schedule for the quarterback? Doesn't that work in direct contradiction with this "no one is above the team" statement? He didn't have to do everything the rest of the guys did last year, but it was okay then? Why? He was actually healthy then. You could also argue that Favre is above the team. He's a future Hall-of-Famer, and no matter what you believe about the story that leaked over the weekend (Favre says he doesn't want a trade), what's the use of ruffling any more feathers over $24,000 ($8,000 per day for a three-day camp)? Do you really think that this is going to send a message to the rest of the team? If Favre were scheduled to work out, that would be one thing. But he's 37 years old, knows the offense, knows his teammates, and isn't scheduled to work out. It isn't worth the hassle.
In the end, all it does is make the Packers look petty in the eyes of their own fans. Pick your battles, Packers. Fining Favre would simply create a mountain out of a molehill.

TopHat
05-16-2007, 05:23 PM
ESPN BREAKING NEWS: FAVRE WILL REPORT TO MINICAMP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2872883

Agent: Favre changes mind, will attend minicamp

Brett Favre will attend the Green Bay Packers minincamp this weekend, after all, according to his agent. Not only will he report on Friday but he expects to participate in all practices, despite having ankle surgery this offseason. "Brett's going to camp because it's the right thing to do ... he's going up there for his teammates, to check out some of the new guys and he expects to do everything everybody else does," said Bus Cook, Favre's agent.
Favre said last weekend that he would not attend minicamp because his family was preparing for the high school graduation of his daughter Brittany. The fact that a Packers spokesman reminded the media that the minicamp was "mandatory" -- which meant Favre could be subject to an $8,000 daily fine -- apparently did not play a factor in Favre's change of heart. "Nobody from the Packers has ever threatened a fine or told him he needed to get his butt up there -- knowing Brett, that would probably have an opposite effect," Cook said. "He did say last weekend that he wasn't going but said he got to thinking about it and, again, he felt that getting to minicamp was just the right thing to do.
"As far as Brittany and graduation goes, Brett realized that they're pretty organized and they've rearranged some things. They had a big party last week, they've been visiting colleges and there's graduation next week [May 25], so it's been a busy time for Brett and the family." Cook also indicated that Favre's anger with the team for not acquiring Randy Moss in a trade had subsided. "Just to make ourselves clear -- nobody has ever demanded a trade," Cook said. "Brett has never asked to be traded and he doesn't want to be traded."

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Brett Favre Changes Mind, Will Attend Packers' Minicamp

In a sign of concession after a contentious few weeks, Packers quarterback Brett Favre will attend the team's mandatory minicamp, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Favre had initially said he would skip the minicamp, noting that he wouldn't be able to participate in drills because he is recuperating from ankle surgery, and saying he wanted to get ready for his daughter's high school graduation. Mortensen reported that Favre said he was going to the camp because "it's the right thing to do," which raises the question of why he wasn't planning to attend the camp in the first place. Wasn't it the right thing to do in the first place?
Favre has been angry at the team since NFL draft weekend, when the Packers missed out on trading for wide receiver Randy Moss, who ended up in New England. Favre was reported to have asked for a trade, but he denied that. Favre has been one of the league's most popular players for more than a decade, but recently he has become the focus of criticism among fans and the media for a perception that he puts his personal interests ahead of the team's. The decision to attend minicamp may be an effort to blunt that criticism. Whatever the reason, it is the right thing to do.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=607006

'4' certain to attend weekend minicamp Favre reverses decision to stay in Mississippi

Not only has Brett Favre changed his mind about the mandatory minicamp this weekend, but he's even coming to Green Bay with the intent to practice. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, told ESPN.com that Favre has reversed an earlier decision not to attend the Green Bay Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend. Initially, Favre told a Mississippi newspaper Monday that he wasn't going to come, in part because of preparations for his daughter's upcoming graduation and also because he was still rehabilitating his ankle. He had surgery on bone spurs on his left ankle on Feb. 26. The team would not make any formal announcement on whether Favre specifically was excused from camp and wouldn't say whether he would be fined if he didn't attend. Favre had been in the middle of controversy when he criticized the team last weekend for not signing receiver Randy Moss. Now, the 17-year veteran famous for his record 257-game starting streak has concluded that coming to camp was simply in everyone's best interests.
"Brett's going to camp because it's the right thing to do . . . he's going up there for his teammates, to check out some of the new guys and he expects to do everything everybody else does," Cook told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. An Associated Press report cited an unidentified source to confirm Favre's plans. Cook could not be reached Wednesday by the Journal Sentinel. Minicamp begins Friday and concludes Sunday. Meanwhile, the Packers signed Oklahoma quarterback Paul Thompson on Wednesday. Thompson could be very useful this weekend if the Packers decide they want to withhold Favre from practice or limit his on-field work in any way. Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers is rehabilitating from a broken bone in his foot, so the Packers would have been down to just third-string quarterback Ingle Martin for the weekend. So they brought in the athletically gifted Thompson, who could help out right away. He is from Austin, Texas, and has been working out there with former Packers quarterback Ty Detmer since before the combine. Detmer has also been giving Thompson a crash course on the Packers' West Coast offense....
In regard to Favre, Ted Thompson would only say Wednesday afternoon that he expected full attendance from the team. "I will say in general terms that this is our minicamp and we would expect most, if not all, of our players to be there," Thompson said. Asked if those who don't attend would be fined, Thompson said: "I couldn't get into that." ESPN reported that a possible daily fine of $8,000 for missing camp was not a factor in Favre's change of heart.
"Nobody from the Packers has ever threatened a fine or told him he needed to get his butt up there - knowing Brett, that would probably have an opposite effect," Cook told ESPN.com. "He did say last weekend that he wasn't going but said he got to thinking about it and, again, he felt that getting to minicamp was just the right thing to do. "As far as (daughter) Brittany and graduation goes, Brett realized that they're pretty organized and they've rearranged some things. They had a big party last week, they've been visiting colleges and there's graduation next week, so it's been a busy time for Brett and the family."

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6812910?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Favre now expected to attend minicamp

Packers quarterback Brett Favre has changed his mind and now is expected to attend the team's mandatory minicamp this weekend, a person familiar with the situation said Wednesday....

TopHat
05-17-2007, 12:22 AM
GM THOMPSON PERFORMANCE SATISFACTION SURVEY:

SUPPORTED TT FROM BEGINNING, STILL ON HIS BANDWAGON 35%

vs.

AFTER 2007 WE MAY NEED A NEW GM/FIRE THE GM WANNA BE 38%

TopHat
05-17-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2215

So what's really behind the fans' criticism of Ted Thompson?

There's a perception floating around out there that the '99 Rams or the '01 Patriots are how it works in the NFL. That is, a team acquires that really good or special player in one off-season (whether by free agency, the draft, or a trade), and just like that it goes from a 5-11 team one year to a championship team the next. The increasingly pervasive perception is that teams---even the perennially bad ones---may just be a player or two away from contending for a championship, and many fans are saying Why can't it be my team? or Why not this year?
Fans are not content to endure a long rebuilding process. Why should they be? Quick turnarounds have occurred before, even recently. Rebuilding doesn’t have to be a four- or five-year effort. It can be done much more quickly than that. Winning now, not eventually, has become the expectation. And that's why there's such a clamoring for GMs like Ted Thompson to aggressively pursue players who have a good shot to be difference-makers. There’s a lack of tolerance for sitting back and waiting to see if our team can get the best deal in a trade, if our GM can add some depth and potential to the roster in hopes that 2 or 3 of the mostly late-round, traded-down-for draftees can contribute a few years down the road. Put simply, fans want their GMs to do something audacious. They want them to take risks. They just plain want them to do whatever it takes to increase the chances that a Marshall Faulk-type player or a Tom Brady-type player can be obtained in one off-season so that he can burst onto the scene and plant their team in the Super Bowl.
A common theme among fans critical of Thompson is that they don't think he has done whatever it takes this off-season to get the Packers into the Super Bowl this year, in 2007. And they do think a Super Bowl in 2007 is an actual possibility---as long as Thompson goes out and grabs that player or two that can get them over the proverbial hump. And this may very well be the last hurrah for Thompson from the fans’ standpoint. If the Packers win only 5 or 6 (or fewer) games this next year, there is a possibility, maybe even a probability, that there will be a public outcry to oust Thompson after the season. The thing is, had he been aggressive this off-season (traded up to get his guy for the first time, offered more than a 5th for Moss, maybe gone after more than just a leftover or two in free agency), he likely would be given more slack from fans---even if the Packers lose. But without the obvious appearance of a strong effort to get ready-made contributors for the offense in 2007, without appearing like he's trying to win now, not eventually, he's just not going to be given the benefit of the doubt from fans.
All of this, of course, is pessimistically assuming Green Bay's offense struggles miserably and they lose a lot of games in 2007. If the Packers win, if Randy Moss and Ahman Green turn out to be duds in their new environs, if even one of Thompson's '07 draftees turns out to be a difference-maker, Thompson will be fine in the eyes of fans. For at least another season, anyway.

TopHat
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2221

Favre, Thompson and the Packers

I have stayed clear of the Favre vs. Thompson (the Packers) subject because I have conflicting feelings. After the loss to Atlanta (in the playoffs) I said Favre would play AT LEAST 4 more years and he has. I also said that this upcoming season would be his last, and I still feel that way. After this weekend and the reports that Favre had requested a trade, I wanted to think about his point of view and the Packers point of view.
I'll start w/ Favre: He is frustrated, like most of the Packers fans, with the Packers inability to add some offensive fire power, imperticular not landing his friend, Randy Moss. He has seen Ahman Green, Davis Martin and William Henderson leave after last season and Darren Sharper, Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera, Javon Walker and Mike Mckenzie leave during the last 4 seasons. He has also seen Mike Sherman let go and his "heir apparent" brought in. He wants to win NOW. He wants to go out on top like he watched Elway do. He wants 1 more chance to go for it all. He feels Moss could have been 'that guy' to put the Packers in the upper part of the NFC (which we all know is weak). He doesn't feel Ted Thompson has done enough to win in 2007 and is upset that the Packers, in his mind, are not giving him his wish to make one last run at the Vince Lombardi trophy. Some may agree with him....
But lets try to look at it from the Packers (Ted Thompson's) POV. The Packers were in 'cap hell' when Thompson was hired. He had to make tough decisions to let those aforementioned players go. The Packers were getting older in some spots and for the amount of money those players were getting their production was not up to the dollar amount. Ted Thompson has said that the Packers are not 'rebuilding' but he has also said that he is trying to build a contender for the long haul (read between the lines). This past off season's free agents were NOT that great of a class (from an offensive standpoint). There were no 'difference makers' that would be able to come in and make that big of an impact. Daniel Graham's style of play is similar to Bubba Franks, Dontè Stallworth can't stay healthy and Travis Henry is as good as he is gonna get. So Thompson felt he can get comparable players in the draft.
As far as Moss, they had a deal done with Oakland (for a 5th) but Moss wanted $3 million guaranteed for 2 years, while the Packers offered $1.85 with a weekly bonus of $600,000 and other incentives for 2 years (making a little over $8 million). Once the Patriots came into the picture with a 4th and a 1 year $3 mill offer the Raiders, actually MOSS, jumped at the chance to play for a team that, on paper, is the front runner to win the title. Moss chose to NOT come to Green Bay, it wasn't the other way. Recently we have learned that Moss was NOT a good locker room guy in Oakland and his former OC says he lost a step. Moss has always had issues, but Favre seemed to think he could 'hold Randy down'. For $3 million a year and a 4th (or 5th) was a low risk move for Thompson, and he dropped the ball, POINT BLANK.
My opinion on this situation. If Favre wants a commitment from the Packers about the teams intention of winning right now, he should make the same commitment to them about how much longer he intends to play football. Why is it OK for him to jump in and voice his displeasure on Bubba Franks, Mike Mckenzie and Javon Walkers' contract issues (or how they handle their business) and be critical of them for being unhappy with the organization by basically calling them 'disloyal' but it's ok for him to air out the Packers through the media? I also am not happy about his mini-camp issues. I feel it is important for EVERY PLAYER to be there. This is where you start to build chemistry with your teammates. By saying that you are not coming because "you were not going to be doing anything anyway" is crap. What if Charles Woodson, Nick Barnett or a rookie said that...we would be ALL OVER THEM!! I understand his daughter is getting ready to graduate H.S. and I bet if went to the front office and said "look I want to leave early so I can be apart of Brittney's graduation week" the Packers would have NO PROBLEM with that, but he handled it wrong and it looks like a player that is starting to think he is above the team. I am glad that he had a change of heart. I also feel Ted Thompson needs to stop being Mr. Roboto when it comes to FA. The Packers have the resources (MONEY) to land players that can make a difference, but Thompson instead decided to build through the draft and NOT add a player (like Justin Griffith) that would have helped. He tried to get 'to cute' in the Moss negotiations and missed out on him. Thompson needs to become a better communicator with the media and the players. He may not like it, but the fact of the matter is IT IS A PART OF IS JOB. I still think the Packers will be a better team then what they were last year. Moss would have helped, but he wasn't the answer to all. He wouldn't have made the Packers 'the clear cut favorite' in the NFC, they are a few players still away. Those players were NOT in this FA class, IMHO. With the Bears losing Briggs, Boone, Scott and Tank Johnson (to suspension) the defense will not be able to 'carry them' like they did last year. The Lions will be better, but they are still a few years away and the Vikings have questions as well. So the Packers COULD be in a position to win the North title but they need to get on the same page and that means Favre, Thompson and ANYONE else needs to put ego's aside and communicate with each other, do the jobs they are hired to do and COMPETE. All parties involved are at fault.

Freak Out
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
How can Tophat only have 259 posts?

TopHat
05-19-2007, 03:35 AM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/5/19/3846/98763

GM Ted Thompson's Bad Offseason By Brandon

First he doesn't sign any notable free agents and loses RB Ahman Green who he had clearly wanted to resign. Then he gets booed when the DT Justin Harrell pick is announced. Then he loses WR Randy Moss to New England which makes QB Brett Favre want to retire. Now his rookie RB Brandon Jackson has to skip this weekend's minicamp due to NFL rules and it turns out that Thompson could have avoided it, but screwed up: A league source tells us that the Green Bay Packers could have moved the dates of this weekend's mandatory minicamp after it became clear that there was a conflict this weekend with the 2007 Rookie Premier Photo Shoot -- and that the L.A. event for 35 hand-picked incoming players is a rock and the minicamp is scissors.
The real sad part is that even Detroit GM Matt Millen knew how to avoid this problem: The Lions, for example, convened on Tuesday through Thursday, even though (as we understand it) they were initially slated to have a full-squad camp over the weekend. As a result, the Lions were able to have access to receiver Calvin Johnson. Low times indeed.

TopHat
05-19-2007, 03:49 AM
http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/search/label/Favre

Further on the Final Year for #4

As noted here yesterday, there was a report by 620WTMJ-AM radio in Milwaukee that Brett Favre is so upset with Packer management that this will definitely be his last year as a Packer. Either he will retire or, if he has a good year, play for another team that has a legitimate chance at the playoffs and a championship. Bill Michaels, of 620WTMJ, has many of the details in his blog entry, which you can find here. Just scroll down till you get the entry entitled "Final 4?".
Some fascinating -- and disturbing -- info about the present situation. It is very sad that it is coming to this for Brett, for the Packers, and for the fans. Perhaps the best hope for finishing the upcoming season on a good note for all those involved would be for the Pack to have a playoff year. Nothing new about that. But perhaps this season carries with it a bit more than before. Let's hope this all somehow works out.