Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How Voters Think

How Voters Think

How Voters Think
    By DAVID BROOKS
    Published: January 18, 2008

People in my line of work try to answer certain questions. Why did Hillary
    surge after misting up in New Hampshire? Why have primary victories produced no momentum for the victors? Why did John McCain win among Republicans who oppose the Iraq war in both New Hampshire and Michigan, but lose among voters who support it?

The truth is that many of the theories we come up with are bogus. They are based on the assumption that voters make cold, rational decisions about who to vote for and can tell us why they decided as they did. This is false.

In reality, we voters — all of us — make emotional, intuitive decisions about who we prefer, and then come up with post-hoc rationalizations to explain the choices that were already made beneath conscious awareness. “People often act without knowing why they do what they do,” Daniel Kahneman, a Nobel Prize winner, noted in an e-mail message to me this week. “The fashion of political writing this year is to suggest that people choose their candidate by their stand on the issues, but this strikes me as highly implausible.”

Nobody really knows how voters think, especially during primary seasons when the policy differences are minute, but it wouldn’t be surprising if the cognitive chain went something like this:

After seeing a candidate for 100 milliseconds, voters make certain sorts of judgments based on expressiveness, facial structure, carriage and attitude. Alexander Todorov of Princeton has found that he can predict 70 percent of political races just by measuring peoples’ snap judgments of candidates’ faces.

Then, having formed an impression from these thin-slice appraisals, voters rack their memory banks. Decades ago, Kahneman and Amos Tversky argued that human judgment is less a matter of calculating probabilities and more a matter of trying to fit new things into familiar patterns. Maybe John Edwards reminds one voter of the sort of person he disliked in high school. Maybe Barack Obama evokes the elevated feeling another voter felt watching John F. Kennedy.

It is no accident that the major candidates in the Republican field are a pastor, a businessman and a war hero. These are the three most evocative Republican leadership models. Nor is it an accident that the Democratic race is a clash between a daughter of the feminist movement, a beneficiary of the civil rights movement and a self-styled proletarian. These are powerful Democratic categories.

In making these associations, voters are trying to perform trait inference. They are trying to divine inner abilities from outward signs.

At the same time, voters embark on an emotional journey with candidates. Antonio Damasio and Joseph LeDoux have shown that emotion isn’t the opposite of reason. We use emotion to assign value to things, thus making decision-making possible.

As the campaign drags on, voters see candidates at different events. Maybe at one event Mitt Romney smiled without dipping the outer edge of his eyebrows. This is a cue that the smile is fake, and produces distrust. On the other hand, maybe he vowed to bring all the manufacturing jobs back to Michigan. A voter might have known this was impossible, but appreciated the concern nonetheless.

As the months go on, emotions oscillate and voter preferences do, too. Voters listen to policy proposals and infer character traits. A social contagion like Obamamania might sweep the country. A global shock might set off a wave of fear, producing a powerful intellectual cascade.

Social tribes rally for and against certain candidates. Rush Limbaugh is currently going bananas because Mike Huckabee threatens to disrupt the community of conservative dittoheads he has spent decades cohering. Work by researchers at Stanford’s Business School suggests that the voting environment itself — in say a church or a school — can influence choices.

Each of us has an unconscious but consistent way of construing the world. Some of us light up when we see a candidate being intelligent, others when we see a candidate being friendly or sentimental. This is the mode we use every day to make sense of the world.

My own intuition is that this unconscious cognition is pretty effective. People are skilled at judging character. And through reading, thinking and close observation, they can educate their unconscious to make smarter and finer distinctions.

But if there is one lesson from this wacky primary season, it is that we analysts should be careful about imposing a false order on voter decision-making. We can do our best to discern how certain politicians are making connections with certain voters, but in that process we have as much to learn from William James as from political scientists and pollsters.

I think Brooks really hits it on the head. There is no rational reason why I support Huckabee, I just like him because he has an even disposition. And the fact that so many liberals like McCAin is also ridiculous, he's votes very conservative on most social and economic issues. Romney's record is more moderate than any of the Republican candidates, yet Limbaugh latches onto him because he struts like a right winger.

All this talk about issues really is a joke when it comes to the presidential race. We're just picking people we like, not unlike choosing the class president in highschool.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Romney's record is more moderate than any of the Republican candidates, yet Limbaugh latches onto him because he struts like a right winger.
    That might be because in some of the earlier debates, Romney was throwing red meat to the conservatives ("I wouldn't close Guantanamo, I'd double it.")
    Of course, Romney being Romney, has started trying to sound like a populist ever since Huckabee won Iowa.

Limbaugh wasn't going to back McCain, whom he detests, and wasn't going to back Huckabee because of his populism. That left Romney and Giuliani. Giuliani's past liberal stances on social issues probably eliminated him.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

To me Romney is too much of a chameleon. I just get the feeling I have a used car salesman at the podium when he speaks.

I too like most of Huckabee's stances. I actually like the idea of the Fair Tax.

Though I like conservative talk radio, a lot of them appear to push for Romney or Thompson.

There really isn't a true conservative in the GOP batch when you get right down to it. I'm not saying that's good or bad. Tired of the liberal, conservative, etc. labels. Hell, I just want something to get freakin' done in DC.

My main concerns: limit spending then taxes, find a way to cut the red tape in health care (I do not want the gov't running it - case in point - look how horribly the returning vets were initially treated at Walter Reed), revamp the tax code with the Fair Tax or something similar and create a new GI Bill for Guard, Reservists and fulltime military personnel.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

By the time the Wisconsin primary gets here, the only Republican candidates left will be Romney & McCain.

(Well, Ron Paul, but he's really a Libertarian using the Republican Party to get wider audience)

I think Rush and Sean are tied closely to the republican machine. They've all had private talks with Bush, and also Carl Rove. They are close with Newt Gingrich and others.

I think Mitt Romney is the next republican figure head. He's the one likely candidate everyone in the republican part wants because they know he'll do what they want him to do and he has a good chance of getting elected.

I agree that Mitt Romney is the choice of Republican insiders, he's the least likely to rock the boat on any issue. But I disagree that he has much of a chance in the general election. McCain would be a MUCH stronger candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I agree that Mitt Romney is the choice of Republican insiders, he's the least likely to rock the boat on any issue. But I disagree that he has much of a chance in the general election. McCain would be a MUCH stronger candidate.
    Right now, I think it'll be between Romney and McCain, but it could still end up as a brokered convention. Huckabee had his shot tonight in SC, but he couldn't close the deal.

McCain may win some independents. Romney just comes off as a slick politician with deep pockets. That perception (right or wrong) doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Either way, I see the election as the Democrats' to lose.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

I've heard several pundits say that if it goes to a brokered convention, McCain doesn't have a shot, it will swing to Romney. Apparently McCain has ruffled too many feathers within the Republican party over the years with postions on campaign finance, torture, immigration, etc.

Wait; Wait; dont tell me

McCain is a Republican?

I thought he was Finegold's feggela

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Really?

If Clinton wins the nomination, already about 50% of the United States has made it known they will NEVER vote for her. Her negatives are astounding...only die hard democrats like Hillary.

FYI...McCain currently polls AHEAD of both Clinton and Obama in national polling of a head-to-head matchup, and the bloodbath taking place in the democratic party right now between Clinton and Obama isn't going to help either of their chances in November. I think a McCain/Huckabee ticket would be difficult for the Dems to beat.
    My signature has NUDITY in it...whatcha gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by The Leaper
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Really?

If Clinton wins the nomination, already about 50% of the United States has made it known they will NEVER vote for her.
    That is an ASTOUNDING statistic. Could you please provide a link to that survey?

I agree that McCain would be a strong candidate. But McCain is not so popular with Republicans, perhaps the Republicans will nominate Romney. I think you could pull the name of 100 Democrats out of a hat and they would beat Romney.

McCain holds a slight lead over any Dem candidate in recent polls. Anyone else and the Dems have an advantage...now.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo.../national.html

I think the negative campaigning going on right now may be hurting Clinton, at least among Dems. Obama has moved out to a huge lead in South Carolina in some recent polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Obama has moved out to a huge lead in South Carolina in some recent polls.
    Obama received 85% of the African American vote in Nevada. Half the democratic voters in SC are black. So it is probably no contest.

Ever since Obama looked viable (Iowa) the black vote has swung dramatically for Obama. (If you look at the graph on this page, the upward spike for Obama is Iowa: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...imary-234.html)

Although I am sympathetic to black people being excited about a real possibility of an African American president (or Halfrican American, as Rush Limbaugh says ) it is still offensive when people vote for a candidate strictly for ethnic reasons. Any time support goes about 60, 65% within a demographic group, issues or qualifications are being ignored.

Obama is in danger of becoming the candidate for black people. There will be resentment and a backlash if he is viewed this way. In fact, some have accused the Clinton camp of trying to subtley paint him this way.

In most remaining states, the Hispanic vote is far more important than the African American vote.

If Bloomberg joins the race he will change everything. He'll pull voters from both parties as an independent and it's been said he has a billion dollars to spend.
    C.H.U.D.

I hope like hell that he does get in the race! (Especially if McCain is the nominee.)

A lot of people think Bloomberg is waiting because if McCain gets the Republican nomination, Bloomberg won't get in.

McCain holds a slight lead over any Dem candidate in recent polls. Anyone else and the Dems have an advantage...now.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo.../national.html

I think the negative campaigning going on right now may be hurting Clinton, at least among Dems. Obama has moved out to a huge lead in South Carolina in some recent polls.
    McCain is running better in those trial heats than the other Republicans, but I didn't see many cases where he had a statistically significant lead (they didn't give the margins of error, but those leads were often nothing but a point or two).
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

A lot of people think Bloomberg is waiting because if McCain gets the Republican nomination, Bloomberg won't get in.
    ya, this is probably true. Bloomberg is not interested in playing spoiler, reportedly, he only wants to run if he can win. McCain & Obama take the wind out of his sails.

This year is not a good one for Bloomberg. The Democrat-leaning people are very enthusiastic about the Democratic candidates. He would hurt Clinton if he could actually win New York, but that is quesitonable. Overall, he would kill the Republicans chances, IMO. I don't think there is much chance that Bloomberg will run. Maybe in a Clinton-Romney matchup there is some opportunity for him, but still not likely enough for him to win. The system is too stacked against 3rd parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerinmaine
    McCain is running better in those trial heats than the other Republicans, but I didn't see many cases where he had a statistically significant lead (they didn't give the margins of error, but those leads were often nothing but a point or two).
    I think your own theories about about how the various personalities will play-out over a long campaign mean more than poll numbers about general election matchups. At this time in the 92 election, George Bush (the elder) looked insurmountable.

My view is that McCain & Clinton are battle-tested, their flaws are already well-known, and they will gain support over a general election campaign. They are both good debaters and campaigners.