Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Classy Dish

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Well not all at once!!! The house just isn't very big...

i thought you were handy??? maybe you should get working on the Packer Rat guest wing.

I'm thinking we're all going to Nutz's house for New years!

As long as there isn't anything small that one can choke on in Murphy's oysters, I guess we'll be safe.

I'm talking PEARLS people, jeez

Zig is never going to live down her one spelling error, is she? but on the other hand, if she has an extra husband worth applying for, let me know...

My favorite classy dish is Gwyneth Paltrow.

A nice greasy pork sandwich served on a dirty ashtray.

WOuldn't call this classy but....

Nothing is better than an italian sausage sandwich. Now before anyone goes off on my recipe, I am not italian and I dont care if its not authentic. All I know is it is by far the best sandwich I make.

Johnsonville Sweet Italians (five pack)
    Sargento's shredded Mozzarella/Provolonge blend
    1 Red Bell Pepper
    1 Green Bell Pepper
    1 Red Onion
    BUTTER
    Mild Salsa

Grill those sweet Italians over charcoal (Grove Charcoal if possible) and do not overcook the sausage. While grilling the meat, Slice the peppers and onion and sautee in butter over a medium heat until tender.

Slice a sub bun so that it holds all the goodies but dont cut all the way through, that way you can load up without everything falling out the ends. Sprinkle a good layer of cheese on the bottom of the bun, then lay the sausage, followed by a good old heaping of sauteed veggies, then more cheese and topped off with some mild salsa.

Just made those Sunday night. Damn good sandwhich.

Parthenon's Gyros on State Street in Madison.

Gosh, I miss them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack

Gosh, I miss them.

PARTHENON'S IS THE GREATEST GYRO PLACE IN THE WORLD; I miss that State Street Joint so much.

Best meal of the year every year for me is Dad's Prime Rib on Xmas Eve. He's been the head chef at the Fireside in Fort Atkinson for about 40yrs and knows how to slow cook that and make the au jus to perfection.

wow, the Holidays will be so busy this year!! Travel to Bretsky's Dads house for x-mas eve and then on to Nutz Mom's for new years eve. Your parents will be so happy you made so many nice new friends!!

Senior Rat Veteran CyclonePackFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack

Gosh, I miss them.

PARTHENON'S IS THE GREATEST GYRO PLACE IN THE WORLD
    Smiles and Gyros, Ames, IA. Little corner stand run by a guy who's (now) on the Ames city council. Heh, he stole so much business from the Jimmy John's he sets up in front of I think they tried to legally force him to move.

Best classy dish: Give me a good Porterhouse or a Filet Mignon with a nice baked potato at a fine steakhouse.

I've had some of those gyros in college town, right? Not bad, but not even close to the ones at Parthenons.

PARTHENON'S IS THE GREATEST GYRO PLACE IN THE WORLD; I miss that State Street Joint so much.
    Nope, the best gyro places are the various walk up vendors in Athens, At least they were 35 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by shamrockfan

Nope, the best gyro places are the various walk up vendors in Athens, At least they were 35 years ago!
    Are you tryin to say that some dang greeks are better than Mericans? You best take that talk elsewhere.

Coquilles St. Jacques Recipe
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 lbs. sea scallops
    1 1/2 cups dry white wine
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    3 Tablespoons butter
    2 Tablespoons flour
    1 cup milk
    1/2 onion, finely chopped
    1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
    2 Tablespoons grated swiss cheese
    2 Tablespoons bread crumbs

Directions
    Combine scallops, wine, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes and then drain the cooking liquid and set aside for use later. Remove the scallops from the pan and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan add onions and saute on low until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add flour. Stir in cooking liquid that was set aside and milk. Bring to a boil reduce heat an cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add scallops and mushrooms. Cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add swiss cheese. Mix well. Fill buttered casserole with scallop mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter. Broil until top is browned. Serve hot.

mmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm.....................
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonePackFan

Best classy dish: Give me a good Porterhouse or a Filet Mignon with a nice baked potato at a fine steakhouse.

keep that away from jack, cause he would slather A1 all over it!! damn commi!!

Either that or he'd char the hell out of it.

Filet mignon is meant to be medium-rare. No exceptions.

This past weekend,

Bacon wrapped filets, with garlic butter
    Sweet corn in a cajun salsa butter stuff
    Loaded bake potatoes

all on the grill, damn good dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by FavreChild
    Either that or he'd char the hell out of it.

Filet mignon is meant to be medium-rare. No exceptions.
    wrapped in bacon that still has a little wiggle left in it. hell, jack is probably hunched over losing his lunch as he is reading this.

he might as well eat a hamburger if he's going to burn the hell out of it and pour katchup all over it!!

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I love medium-rare steak, only problem is that I empty my colon about 30 minutes later.

My favorite steak place is MR. B's. They give you a couple of diiferent sauces to go with your steak. That is the only time I ever put anything on my meat.

You NEED a sauce, depending on the cut of the meat.

Filet, because it lacks fat, depends on a sauce or flavoring. Hence bacon wraped filets, smothered in mushrooms, hollandaise, bordelaise, etc.

I good cut of meat with proper fat doesn't need much more than salt and pepper.

What is unequivocally true is that cooking a steak or good cut of meat past medium kills the flavor and makes the meat tougher. Course you gotta eat it the way you like it, but I would suggest trying to broaden one's palate.

When I use to work in fine dining anyone that ordered a steak past medium was thought of as a moron by most of the staff. And, asking a the chef to cook a steak well done was very rough as they take it personal that someone wants them to ruin their product. Not a fun time having them blame you for the customer's taste. What makes it even worse is that cooking a filet to well takes a long time so the chef just stews on it, hating you and the customer. Woe to the server who takes an order of well done on a filet without asking the customer if they want it butterflied.