Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Classy Dish

Rare is the only way I want a steak. "I want it to scream when I bite into it" is the old texas saying.

Prime rib is my favorite indulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Rare is the only way I want a steak. "I want it to scream when I bite into it" is the old texas saying.

Prime rib is my favorite indulgence.
    You buyin'?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I'm gonna be thinking about prime rib this afternoon.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    You NEED a sauce, depending on the cut of the meat.

Filet, because it lacks fat, depends on a sauce or flavoring. Hence bacon wraped filets, smothered in mushrooms, hollandaise, bordelaise, etc.
    i don't think A1 constitutes a "sauce"

A1 is a boch ketchup. It forms at the top of ketchup barrels after aging.

A1 is lame, but restaurants go with it because it has been around forever.

And as long as I'm ranting, I'm a fan of pepper sauces. Yet restaraunts carry tobasco because it's been around since the 1940's. It is impossible to find a worse pepper sauce than tobasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    You NEED a sauce, depending on the cut of the meat.

Filet, because it lacks fat, depends on a sauce or flavoring. Hence bacon wraped filets, smothered in mushrooms, hollandaise, bordelaise, etc.

I good cut of meat with proper fat doesn't need much more than salt and pepper.
    That's not consistent with what I know.

A filet has almost as much fat content as a T-bone, and more fat than almost any other cut of beef.

http://www.txbeef.org/pdf/29_lean_cuts.pdf

You wrap a filet in bacon or smother it with sauce only because you like bacon and/or sauce. Not because you need to. A good filet does perfectly fine all on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    A1 is a boch ketchup. It forms at the top of ketchup barrels after aging.

A1 is lame, but restaurants go with it because it has been around forever.
    when i order a steak from a restaurant, and the waitress asks me if i want A1. my reply is "I hope not"

Steakhouses across the country will see an increase in sales this evening...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    naa, i'd really rather grill my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Where do you start?

Ok, how bout the oft maligned beef tartar, or as I grew up knowing it - raw beef. Growing up, it was served at virtually every party you'd go to. Now you hardly ever see it, except for the menus of spendy restaurants.
    i was at a conference when a presenter who had been flown in from back east was confronted with steak tartare among the buffet offerings at the reception. He wondered aloud if it was an e. coli deficiency among Wisconsin people that provoked them to eat such a thing.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Brats from County Stadium with Stadium sauce or was it county sauce?
    I forget, but they were very tastey. How is the fare at Miller Park by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    naa, i'd really rather grill my own.

There's some merit to that, though it's getting tougher and tougher to find decent cuts of meat in retail shops. That's the advantage the top tier restaurants have.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The fat in a filet is actually in the meat, the little white lines you see in prime cuts of meat. I forget what they call it, but the more you see the better. They have some proper name for it.

veining or marbling. Now I'm hungry.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Marbling!!! Thats the ticket, keeps the steak juicy and flavorful, but it comes with a downer a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz
    Marbling!!! Thats the ticket, keeps the steak juicy and flavorful, but it comes with a downer a heart attack.
    Counteract it with red wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack
    Brats from County Stadium with Stadium sauce or was it county sauce?
    I forget, but they were very tastey. How is the fare at Miller Park by the way?
    Secret Stadium Sauce! A must for any backyard BBQ. You can order the sauce from www.brewcityonline.com if you really have a hankerin', BadgePack.

The hot ticket at Miller Park these days (besides the various sausages, which will always reign supreme) is the Cactus League Nachos.

Thank you FavreChild,

You are very kind.

I'm ordering some right know, my neighbors will love me.

For those of you without access to a Catholic Church in NEW:

Chicken Booyah
    Booyah is a thick chicken and beef stew created by Walloon Belgian immigrants to Northeastern Wisconsin. The word "booyah" comes from the French "boullir" or the Walloon "bouyon", meaning to boil. Many community fundraisers in Northern Wisconsin and Southwestern Minnesota feature booyah cooked in huge pots over an open fire, stirred with a canoe paddle.

1 lb. butter
    25 lbs. chicken, cut in pieces and browned
    5 lbs. beef, cubed and browned
    5 lbs. onions browned with meat
    5 lbs. celery, diced
    5 lbs. carrots, diced
    3 pecks potatoes, peeled and diced
    5 lbs. shredded cabbage
    5 lbs. fresh tomatoes, diced
    1 cup salt
    4 teaspoons pepper
    1 cup chopped parsley

The following may be added if desired:

5 No. 2 cans whole kernel corn or equivalent of fresh cooked corn, 2 lbs. dried split peas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender, 2 lbs. dried navy beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender.

Brown meat, add seasoning and enough hot water to cook until tender. Debone cooked chicken and cut into cubes. Place all the meat in a large pot. Add vegetables in the order given according to the length of time for cooking each, with enough additional boiling water for cooking the mixture. Watch the mixture carefully to prevent sticking and burning. Add more water as needed.

Makes 25 gallons
    (This is pretty much the standard recipe. If I were making a pot of booyah, I'd add fresh herbs and spices, such as thyme and rosemary, perhaps some marjoram, and maybe a few splashes of hot-pepper sauce. But then it wouldn't be Booyah the way they make it up nort')

--Hey.......they forgot about the oxtails!!!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

The best place that I'd ever gone for steak is Gibson's, in Chicago.

However, when I don't feel like driving 3 hours or paying $75 for dinner, Texas Road House is just fine. Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later. Also, Prime Quarter, which used to be THE place for steak, has also lost a tremendous amount of business.