Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Classy Dish

Quote Originally Posted by GBMichele
    Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later.
    Are they still in business by the Fox River Mall?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    You NEED a sauce, depending on the cut of the meat.

Filet, because it lacks fat, depends on a sauce or flavoring. Hence bacon wraped filets, smothered in mushrooms, hollandaise, bordelaise, etc.
    i don't think A1 constitutes a "sauce"
    I would agree. But, I think he was referring to using it on a steak, which I don't think of when i think of filet.

But, I would have less of a problem using it on a filet than a t-bone, porterhouse, etc.

Most of those "sauces" are just to sweet and take away from the meat. Kinda like using ketchup on a hotdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    You NEED a sauce, depending on the cut of the meat.

Filet, because it lacks fat, depends on a sauce or flavoring. Hence bacon wraped filets, smothered in mushrooms, hollandaise, bordelaise, etc.

I good cut of meat with proper fat doesn't need much more than salt and pepper.
    That's not consistent with what I know.

A filet has almost as much fat content as a T-bone, and more fat than almost any other cut of beef.

http://www.txbeef.org/pdf/29_lean_cuts.pdf

You wrap a filet in bacon or smother it with sauce only because you like bacon and/or sauce. Not because you need to. A good filet does perfectly fine all on it's own.
    Sorry, Scott, but you are wrong. First, the pdf is of LEAN cuts. Most of those cuts you wouldn't even find at any decent restaurant.

Furthermore, most chefs trim the fat of the filet. You will notice a t-bone at most places has more fat left on it, including the filet part. I have worked fine dining and eaten at most of the top steakhouses (G&G, Mortons, Lugers, RC's) in the county, and you never find any fat on the outside of a filet...nothing crispy and charred..mmm, delicious.

Also, if you will notice, many of those cuts require long cooking times because of how lean and tough they are. Hence the word ROAST. This long cooking time is where you add fat/flavor to them...cooking in their juices or adding gravy to them.

Chefs add sauces and bacon to add flavor because LEAN cuts lack the most flavor. Flavor comes from the fat (and that is in any dish). That is why Kobe beef with its excellent marbling is so flavorful.

Filets, while lacking great flavor (i didn't say no flavor) are exceedingly tender.

Scott, the proof, as my mom would say, is in the pudding. Go look for recipes involving filets and sauces vs. fattier pieces of meat. Nobody throws more fat on a prime rib (maybe some au jus or horseradish).There is a reason for this.

Scott, the proof, as my mom would say, is in the pudding. Go look for recipes involving filets and sauces vs. fattier pieces of meat. Nobody throws more fat on a prime rib (maybe some au jus or horseradish).There is a reason for this.
    Well, as a matter of fact - they do. Fine meat purveyors offer prime rib roasts with extra layer of fat tied on. You don't see it on your plate because it is trimmed off prior to serving. It's just used for cooking.

Furthermore, most chefs trim the fat of the filet. You will notice a t-bone at most places has more fat left on it, including the filet part. I have worked fine dining and eaten at most of the top steakhouses (G&G, Mortons, Lugers, RC's) in the county, and you never find any fat on the outside of a filet...nothing crispy and charred..mmm, delicious.
    The fat in a filet is marbled throughout. And there's plenty of it. I've never seen a chef trim fat off a filet, as they already come properly trimmed from any reputable meat purveyor.

How long did you work at Sizzler?

The fat in a filet is marbled throughout. And there's plenty of it. I've never seen a chef trim fat off a filet, as they already come properly trimmed from any reputable meat purveyor.

How long did you work at Sizzler?

Prime rib isn't fine dining or served at great steakhouses. Prime rib is a fine meal, but you'll never see it served at Charlie Trotters, Lutece, etc. I'll take culpability on that as I said "decent" joint, apparently, for you, a trip to Ponderosa and the unlimited salad bar constitutes a great meal. Bon appetit.

Most quality steakhouses don't buy precut meat. They age it themselves and cut it themselves. And, if you've never see a chef trim a steak or cut the tenderloin into filets or medallions, then I wouldn't be eating at that place (even places like the Texas Cattle Company age and cut their meat, and they are a far cry from great). That isn't a chef, we call them cooks. But, grab your feedbag and enjoy Ryans or Damons, Scott. Bon Appetit.

The filet comes from small end of the tenderloin, found at the back end of the ribcage. This area is non weight bearing, therefore the connective tissue isn't toughened by movement, resulting in tender meat. It ALSO means that it is less flavorful then other cuts that are attached to a bone.

Because of this, you should cook the meat quickly (broiling/grilling) so as to keep what flavor it has. Therefore it shoudn't go past MR to preserve the flavor, keep it tender, and keep it moist (filets over MR get very dry).

The filet is wrapped in bacon (barding) because the filet doesn't have a layer of fat around it. This adds flavor to the filet while also giving it fat to keep it from drying out.

This drying out is the reason you NEVER cut a filet to check its "doneness." Strictly done by touch.

Chefs/people add sauces to a filet because the flavor is mild. Perhaps you enjoy mild food.

The fat is hardly marbled throughout a filet...if it was it wouldn't be a lean cut. Of course there is SOME fat, but it isn't marbled like a prime rib.

You can continue to posture, but the fact remains that a filet is acknowledged as one of the blander cuts of meat and therefore requires cooking techniques to preserve flavor and to add to it.

Lastly, I have never eaten or worked at a Sizzler. They generally weren't around. Though, I did have a strong desire to check them out after "White Men can't Jump."

WE'RE GOING TO SIZZLER.

I liked that movie "White Men Can't Jump". Just so happens my nephew who looks A LOT like Woody Harrelson was playing college basketball in IL at the time the movie came out. Story has it he called home to Dad and asked, "what's wrong with me dad?" He was one of two white guys on the team. .....and apparently wasn't referring to his jumping skills when asking his dad what was wrong with him.....lol

..........story told several years later after a few cocktails.

Anyway, I think the tenderloin is a pretty lean cut. Maybe not the most?????? ...but up there pretty high.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The best place that I'd ever gone for steak is Gibson's, in Chicago.

However, when I don't feel like driving 3 hours or paying $75 for dinner, Texas Road House is just fine. Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later. Also, Prime Quarter, which used to be THE place for steak, has also lost a tremendous amount of business.
    I have to admit, I was a bit twitchy about ordering a steak at Texas Road House, but I was pleasantly suprised by their Rib Eye. Ver good, nice size, not overly fatty, very juicy. I got the mushrooms and jack cheese on it. I thought I could do without the cheese the next time.

I like Prime Quarter because there is no messing around there. You do your steak your way, and they are big motherfucking steaks. Poor advertising is my guess at why PQ doesn't do better.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    I liked that movie "White Men Can't Jump". Just so happens my nephew who looks A LOT like Woody Harrelson was playing college basketball in IL at the time the movie came out. Story has it he called home to Dad and asked, "what's wrong with me dad?" He was one of two white guys on the team. .....and apparently wasn't referring to his jumping skills when asking his dad what was wrong with him.....lol

..........story told several years later after a few cocktails.

Anyway, I think the tenderloin is a pretty lean cut. Maybe not the most?????? ...but up there pretty high.

How did your brother take the news? Did he go to sizzler afterward to sooth the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz

How did your brother take the news? Did he go to sizzler afterward to sooth the pain?
    I'm not sure how he handled the conversation over the phone at the time. Years later, the night the story was told he had another drink and laughed it off........what's a guy to do at a time like that?

Wait I just confused myself so I will ask point blank, did your nephew enjoy team showers just a little too much, or was disappointed in his penis size compared to all the black fellows on the team?

Did they go to Sizzler afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz
    Wait I just confused myself so I will ask point blank, did your nephew enjoy team showers just a little too much, or was disappointed in his penis size compared to all the black fellows on the team?

Did they go to Sizzler afterwards?
    LOL!! why are we talking sizzler's? NO on that one.

Yes, he was apparently talking about his penis size compared to his fellow teammates. Not trying to start a race thread or anything......lol ....just a funny story shared by his brother while consuming alcoholic beverages. (brothers can be so mean!)

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You guy just change the steak talk to sausage!

I have never eaten anything rare or even medium rare. Does it taste bloody? Everyone white person I know likes raw meat. Guess it must be the serial killer in you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike
    Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later.
    Are they still in business by the Fox River Mall?
    I'm not much help here, Mike... I never knew of one by the Fox River Mall to begin with!! You're not thinking Outback Steakhouse by chance, are you? I can't think of any other steakhouses near the mall off hand.

Nutz, I think the $4.00 price hike and the fact that TRH is better might be the reason why PQ is falling.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    I have never eaten anything rare or even medium rare. Does it taste bloody? Everyone white person I know likes raw meat. Guess it must be the serial killer in you guys.
    I guess you can't really cook taco meat medium rare.

Nutz, I think the $4.00 price hike and the fact that TRH is better might be the reason why PQ is falling.
    Are you telling me that shit at PQ is now 18.00 Dollars? It was a deal when it was 14.99. I am never going there again.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    There's some merit to that, though it's getting tougher and tougher to find decent cuts of meat in retail shops. That's the advantage the top tier restaurants have.
    very true Scott, you need to go to find a small grocery store that actually still has a butcher and a true meat counter.

So Ponderosa's not fine dining????

Senior Rat Veteran CyclonePackFan's Avatar
    You guy just change the steak talk to sausage!

I eat steak to get the power of the soul of the cow, and I do have many dreams about drinking the blood of my enemies...

Just Kidding!

I don't go for rare, but the general rule of thumb is to order steak medium rare and burgers medium well (the ground beef is more likely to have a greater number of cysts, etc, stuff that you don't really want alive when you eat it)

My primary reason for ordering medium rare is simple. If it tastes too raw, you can always have them throw it back on for another minute or two. Get it overdone, and you're just a jackass for asking for another steak. However, the medium rare is more tender and has more flavor, it seems like steaks that are above medium have no flavor (and beget the need for A1) and are way too chewy.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    I guess you can't really cook taco meat medium rare.
    Especially when you dont what the meat is half the time!