Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
Tarlam,

Those are good points about third world consumption, and it is a problem to worry about. I think the rest of the stuff will take care of itself because of many factors. Just like we no longer pollute like we did in the industrial revolution --because of technological advancements, political pressure, etc. The big problem is that third world countries will be going through their own little industrial revolution very shortly. How will deal with that is a big concern.
I guess that's the point I've been trying to make with the posts about water consumption and population growth. Population growth will put a strain on the available resources on the planet. Technology may open up availability of resources, but advancement happens at a snails crawl because of greed and apathy. I don't believe that a country such as the U.S. can adapt to the coming threat of limited resources in a time frame of 50 years, when the planet is supposed to carry the load of a couple more billion people. As other countries step up their demand for resources to equal the U.S., we will DEFINITELY face a global crisis.

tyler