Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ethics/

The basic idea is to make everything as open as possible so the corrupt won't have the cover of secrecy they need to act, but read the details for yourself.
    I don't think what he is talking about there is terribly important. Lobbyists are not a bad thing - in fact they are democracy in action! Businesses SHOULD have access to politicians to express their point of view. People organize themselves into trade groups and associations precisely so they can have a voice - excellent! This is civics. We don't want to have an isolated government that makes decisions from on high.

I really don't think secrecy is a big issue. If Cheney wants to meet privately with members of the oil industry to get their take on a proposed regulation, I am cool with that. Perhaps Obama has some good ideas, maybe I could be persuaded somewhat on this point.

The giant problem is money. We have businesses and associations owning politicians. that's the 600 pound gorrilla.
    Bullshit, we demand and are due a transparent Government. Our elected officials work for us..all of us....not just some of us. There is a way to comment on proposed regulation and it's not through the fucking VP's office. They weren't "talking about proposed regulation" in that fucking crooks office. If Congress was doing the job we put them in office to do he would be behind bars right now.
    C.H.U.D.

I don't mean to sound like a sick bastard here, but I think if Obama wins the nomination he will end up getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    They weren't "talking about proposed regulation" in that fucking crooks office.
    I don't know what happened in this case. But in general I don't have a problem with lobbyists talking to politicians off the record. Lobbyists are not boogey men.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack
    I don't mean to sound like a sick bastard here, but I think if Obama wins the nomination he will end up getting shot.
    You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black. If that happens, its going to make the Rodney King incident look like a j-walking.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

that is a damn good point. I think this campaign season is particularly dangerous.

honestly, I think a bullet is the only thing that will stop him from becoming president.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black.
    I dislike him because he is half white.

You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black.
    semi-racist!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

that is a damn good point. I think this campaign season is particularly dangerous.

honestly, I think a bullet is the only thing that will stop him from becoming president.
    I don't see it this way. Obama is not a polarizing figure who increases racial tensions like a Sharpton sometimes does. I suppose it only takes one nutcase with a gun, but as a country we've come a long way in terms of race relations since we've had a political assassination.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Unfortunately, I think your concern has some validity. There are still plenty of rascists out there who would consider it their "moral duty" to shoot Barama.

In addition, there are plenty of sick individuals out there who would shoot him just because he is a presidential candidate and/or President. Take for example these pathological individuals.

Squeaky Fromme and Sara Jane Moore--who tried to shoot Jerry Ford.

Arthur Bremer who shot George Wallace

The guy who shot Ronald Reagan

Lee Harvey Oswald who shot John F. Kennedy(the controversy ensues that he acted alone)

John Wilkes Boothe shooting Abraham Lincoln.

With the availability of guns and sick individuals in this country, the candidates and/or Presidents have to be vigilant.

You're not the only one thinking this. There's too many people that dislike him just because he's black. If that happens, its going to make the Rodney King incident look like a j-walking.
    If W is still alive, Obama will be fine. He's had secret service protection for some time now. The security last October for his Madison rally/fund raiser was quite evident. I'm confident he will be safe.

semi-racist!
    Actually it's probably the height of racism. What racists (of all colors) despise most is mixture. Racism is about maintaining the fiction of purity. Harlan Huckleby=George Lincoln Rockwell

My Grandmother lived to be 99, and voted straight Democratic in every election her whole life. In 1992, at the age of 94, she voted for Ross Perot over Bill Clinton because she sensed he was shady.

I think her antenna were tuned into something real. Yet I admire what Bill accomplished, he governed successfully, made smart decisions and had a good heart. And his corruption as a politician was relatively petty.

Support Campaign Finance Reform: Obama supports public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests. Obama introduced public financing legislation in the Illinois State Senate, and is the only 2008 candidate to have sponsored Senator Russ Feingold's (D-WI) tough bill to reform the presidential public financing system.
    Is that the McCain-FeinGold Bill? I think McCain ought to get some points too. Actually, McCain is The Man when it comes to this issue, he has paid a SERIOUS political price for his efforts. The fact that Obama was a sponsor for that bill is rather a fine point, you tricky devil.

I'll give Obama his props on this issue. Of course if you check the web site of any Democratic Candidate, they are for Campaign Finance Reform. I mentioned the lobbying because this it is the issue that Obama is hawking on the stump. My point is that it sounds impressive, but is rather inconsequentional on closer inspection. Much like Obama. Only kidding, that was too tempting.

Hillary was on Letterman and was asked about Campaign Finance, and she gave a typically wise response: A satisfying solution is not available right now because of recent Supreme Court decisions. It will take some creative efforts to contain the problem.

Damn, don't you just love that women!? So smart.

Hillary was on Letterman and was asked about Campaign Finance, and she gave a typically wise response: A satisfying solution is not available right now because of recent Supreme Court decisions. It will take some creative efforts to contain the problem.

B.S. They could easily go to a public financing model similar to what some states have (AZ or NM, I forget which, and possibly others). Where if you accept public financing and the other guy raises a ton of money, your public financing increases to match (at about 70% level to account for the amount spend raising the money). Plus you get to claim that you money is clean and you don't owe anyone.

The 527's would still be an issue, but there are possible solutions there as well - put in individual spending limits, or simply tax them to death.

HC is smart in the political weasel kind of way - spin everything, do nothing.

B.S. They could easily go to a public financing model similar to what some states have (AZ or NM, I forget which, and possibly others). Where if you accept public financing and the other guy raises a ton of money, your public financing increases to match (at about 70% level to account for the amount spend raising the money). Plus you get to claim that you money is clean and you don't owe anyone.
    Sounds like an interesting idea. I can't comment on the "easy" part, I suspect there may be barriers to doing this on the federal level, or it would be widely promoted - this is the first I heard of the idea. I will look into it a little.

(It might be a little odd to see Mike Gravel & Tommy Thompson getting to spend the same $100M as Obama on advertising. Why would anybody ever drop out of the primary? Or is your idea just for the general election? The general election is not such a problem.)

Its wonderful to see the Obama Tribe are ushering out the old politics - name calling and demonizing - and ringing in a New Age of civility & unity.

MadScientist, the Obama Machine has amassed a war chest that dwarfs Clinton's. They may have $50M more to spend now, and the gap is widening.

Been thinking about your man's passion for finance reform, and your idea of leveling the money field. What would you think about Obama donating $25M to Clinton? Seems like the right thing to do.

I agree. She's a career politician...and there isn't a one of them that I admire.
    My signature has NUDITY in it...whatcha gonna do?