View Poll Results: Do you support a smoking ban?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 64.29%
  • hell no, smoke um if you got um

10 35.71%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: smoke gets in your eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Wisconsin people are the oddest folk in the country.

You need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    The government is doing it because second-hand smoke has been proven to cause cancer. That makes it a public health hazard to the employees and regular patrons of the establishments as well as to anyone who tries to go out and eat on a regular basis.
    Then make it illegal and quit bitching about it. If it's legal, the government should stay out of it.
    Can't do that..........way to much $$$$ involved. Big Tobacco=Big Money.

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Yeah, blame it on Big Tobacco. BTW, the effects of second hand smoke are vastly exaggerated.

The government is doing it because second-hand smoke has been proven to cause cancer. That makes it a public health hazard to the employees and regular patrons of the establishments as well as to anyone who tries to go out and eat on a regular basis.
    Then make it illegal and quit bitching about it. If it's legal, the government should stay out of it.
    They know that they'd never get away with making it completely illegal, but this is as close as they can get and still remain in office. It's been publicly banned here for quite some time and it's really not that big a deal. Hasn't affected the restaurant trade like so many were screaming it would. People still go out to eat, they just smoke before they go.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Starts in bars/restaurants - then goes to streets....

I live in Burbank, CA - and people can't smoke anywhere downtown, in their cars, in their apartment porches - and the law says 'smoke in designated areas' - but there are no designated areas. Shit is f-ed up.

Gov't shouldn't be in this arena.

And no - I don't smoke. I used to though.

sex is legal, but you aren't allowed to do it in a restaurant.

(well, maybe oral sex under table, but oral sex isn't sex.)

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    As much as I hate people smoking, I do think it is pushing the limit of what governments role should be.

When we were in GB, the waitress was 20, pregnant and working in bar full of smoking people. Was she supposed to quit? Then what? Depend on the government to support her kid?
    Consuming alcohol is also proven to cause all kinds of health/driving/death-related problems. I don't see the government stepping in there to that extent with respect to alcohol. I'm pretty confident more people are killed by drunken drivers than they are by 2nd hand smoke.

I don't condone smoking, but the 20 year old pregnant waitress needs to take responsibility for herself and her unborn child and find more suitable employment....and I'm sure she can without depending on government support....if she really wants or needs to work.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    the 20 year old pregnant waitress needs to take responsibility for herself and her unborn child and find more suitable employment.
    You can make this argument against regulation of any workplace health issue: if you don't lke the working conditions, get a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    You don't like it, then stay the fuck out the bar. Go to Applebee's.
    You stupid ashmuncher, you dont get it. When this happens and it will, it will be just like in Cali and probably every other staste that has done this where owners of bars have to be forcing people to go outside. There is no way anyone is going to want to lose business because of someone wanting to smoke.

In fact am gonna laugh at your ass when it happens.

Deal with it hoe.

What don't I get? That California is a cesspool of confused and inept state and local government that claims to be forward thinking and liberal while legislating how exactly everyone should be liberal and forward thinking?

I support a ban for restaurants where the establishment is based on serving food. Not for bars and pubs however. You can make an argument that a family should be able to go out to eat at a restaurant without a whiff of smoke from the bar area, but everyone in a bar should be 21 or older and able to take responsibility for themselves.

Again, if there's such widespread support for this, then there would plenty of non-smoking bars out there already due to demand. Fact is it's the people who don't go to bars that are trying to regulate them. Like Harvey said, until it's illegal, stop treating it like it's a crime, or making it a crime in this case, to smoke.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Yeah, blame it on Big Tobacco. BTW, the effects of second hand smoke are vastly exaggerated.
    I always thought that too. A few years ago I went with my then 85 year old aunt to the DR., she had a nagging cough. He told her it would help if she would quit smoking. She said 'OK, but my husband would have to die.'
    She had the lungs of a 30yr smoker...........never ever smoked a cigarette in her life......herself.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007

Consuming alcohol is also proven to cause all kinds of health/driving/death-related problems. I don't see the government stepping in there to that extent with respect to alcohol. I'm pretty confident more people are killed by drunken drivers than they are by 2nd hand smoke.

I don't condone smoking, but the 20 year old pregnant waitress needs to take responsibility for herself and her unborn child and find more suitable employment....and I'm sure she can without depending on government support....if she really wants or needs to work.
    Drunk driving may kill people, but you sitting next to me with a drink in your hand ain't gonna do it, and last I checked, driving with a bloodstream full of alcohol is actually illegal. And they enforce it.

The 20-year old just didn't seem the genius type that's gonna be able to go out and land a job wherever she chooses. Not too many people are going to hire a pregnant girl anyway and you'd have a hard time convincing me that she was planning this ahead of time and could have chosen her occupation accordingly. Taking the entire bar and restaurant industries away from less educated folk who make great waitstaff but just want to keep themselves healthy seems kinda crazy to me. She was a very good server so she should quit so you can have a smoke?

I'm curious as to what GBR thinks about this having recently quit--if it would make it easier on her not to have to have cigarette smoke floating around when she goes out. I mean when you have a drink and at breakfast are the hardest times, right?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I always thought that too. A few years ago I went with my then 85 year old aunt to the DR., she had a nagging cough. He told her it would help if she would quit smoking. She said 'OK, but my husband would have to die.'
    She had the lungs of a 30yr smoker...........never ever smoked a cigarette in her life......herself.
    Ok, I do think Harvey was talking about second hand smoke in bars or at a resturant, not living with a smoker of 50 years. Quite a jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    sex is legal, but you aren't allowed to do it in a restaurant.

(well, maybe oral sex under table, but oral sex isn't sex.)
    What I dont get is why smokers always say, "Then dont go to the bar" as the reasoning. If smoking in the bar is illegal DONT GO TO THE FUCKING BAR. If I take a shit on the table at a bar, I go to prison, but some assface sitting behind me can smoke himself retarded. Is shitting on the table a bigger health risk? Not unless you plan on eating it. Then why is it bad? Because it smells bad? So do cigarettes.

I know 2 bar owners where I live and they bitched up a storm when they heard about the MN smoking ban. "Buisness is going to fall off, we're going to lose customers". Well low and fucking behold, buisness is UP. People who didnt want to smell like they work in a constantly burning coal mine actually started going to bars after the ban.

I'm not all for govt telling me what I can do, but if there even a shred of credibility to the studies that say second hand smoke causes cancer, then all smokers can kiss my ass. You go back to your house and do what you want there. Don't subject me to your smoke if I cant subject you to my feces.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

She was a very good server so she should quit so you can have a smoke?
    There are plenty of places for a knocked up slut to get a job other than a bar or restaurant. Just like there's plenty of places to eat where you can't smoke. Chain restaurants and hotels have bars that are non smoking for those who want a drink without the smoke.

There's pretty much only one place people can go smoke in a social environment. The bar and some restaurants. Is it really that difficult for those who are so concerned about 2nd hand smoke to avoid these places that you need your state government to help you?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    People just don't get it, the only place I can go or Skin can go to smoke are bars, without our wives finding out. You close those down, then what?

Anyways, I like going to Madison, wait no not really, but I do like to go to Badger footbal games, and then I like to go to bars. I like not hanging out in a place that doesn't smell like an ashtray, I like that most places have patios where I can go puff on a heater without smellings like ass. Thats my personal take, however my society take on it, is it is another way government has decided to play big brother. Government wants to control just about everything and it makes me sick. Telling bar owners they can't have patrons or themselves commit a legal act in their establishment just sticks in my craw.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    Telling bar owners they can't have patrons or themselves commit a legal act in their establishment just sticks in my craw.
    Can I stick something in your craw?

There are plenty of places for a knocked up slut to get a job other than a bar or restaurant. Just like there's plenty of places to eat where you can't smoke. Chain restaurants and hotels have bars that are non smoking for those who want a drink without the smoke.

There's pretty much only one place people can go smoke in a social environment. The bar and some restaurants. Is it really that difficult for those who are so concerned about 2nd hand smoke to avoid these places that you need your state government to help you?
    If all the knocked up sluts and young people who could get knocked up stop working at the bar, who's serving you your drinks?

If all the knocked up sluts and young people who could get knocked up stop working at the bar, who's serving you your drinks?
    Old toothless skanks. Who else?

I assume the same assless chaps wearing men who serve him now. They cant get knocked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    I assume the same assless chaps wearing men who serve him now. They cant get knocked up.
    Our last barmaid was actually a 23 year old mother... who smoked more than we did. Assless chaps would have earned her a significantly higher tip. Of course, higher tips are something she apparently has trouble with. When you play just the tip, you don't get pregnant.