View Poll Results: Do you support a smoking ban?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 64.29%
  • hell no, smoke um if you got um

10 35.71%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: smoke gets in your eyes

[quote="Deputy Nutz"]
    Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Can't do that..........way to much $$$$ involved. Big Tobacco=Big Money.
    Yeah, blame it on Big Tobacco. BTW, the effects of second hand smoke are vastly exaggerated.
    I always thought that too. A few years ago I went with my then 85 year old aunt to the DR., she had a nagging cough. He told her it would help if she would quit smoking. She said 'OK, but my husband would have to die.'
    She had the lungs of a 30yr smoker...........never ever smoked a cigarette in her life......herself.
    [b]Ok, I do think Harvey was talking about second hand smoke in bars or at a resturant, not living with a smoker of 50 years. Quite a jump.[/quote

Second hand smoke is second hand smoke, shouldn't matter where it comes from or where you inhale it.

Comparing liquor consumption to that of smoking is apples and oranges.

It's proven that wine, in moderation is beneficial. I just don't remember reading any reports that state a cigarette a day is going to do you any good.

Comparing liquor consumption to that of smoking is apples and oranges.
    But comparing the risks of the person in the bar next to you smoking versus the risks of them downing 8 drinks then driving on the same road as you aren't.

I think the point being made was that drunk drivers may kill more people than 2nd hand smoke. Both being products of someone else's actions.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

At the PR game weekend, I was surprised at the number of places we went into that allowed smoking.

Here in CT... no smoking anywhere public. I think that just within the past year(s) they passed the same law for NYC............with little or no impact.
    PIP,

I had the same reaction when I went to the PR game. Here in Oregon there is also no smoking allowed anywhere in public. This is not a hardship for smokers. They will always find somewhere to smoke.

I believe people should be able to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. There is some grey in there, but I believe having to deal with 2nd hand smoke infringes on the right of non smokers by forcing them to breath in uncomfortable, and almost certainly harmfull smoke.

I support the ban. Smokers have the right to smoke in their homes, in their cars and away from people.

This nothing what so ever to do with smoking..........just thought it was !

To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine... and those who don't.

&nb sp; As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated ! that if we drink 1 liter of water
    each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1
    kilo of Escherichia coli, (E coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.
    However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or te quila, rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through
    a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.
    Remember: Water = Poop,
    Wine = Health.
    Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of shit.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information; I' m doing it as a public service.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Second hand smoke is second hand smoke, shouldn't matter where it comes from or where you inhale it.
    How about how long you inhale the second hand smoke from your lover on a regular basis? How about living in a house where someone has smoked for a half a century, do you think that makes a difference?

I am just throwing it out, I wasn't pointing out that smoke exhaled by smoker A is more deadly than the smoke exhaled by Smoker B. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    I believe people should be able to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. There is some grey in there, but I believe having to deal with 2nd hand smoke infringes on the right of non smokers by forcing them to breath in uncomfortable, and almost certainly harmfull smoke.

I support the ban. Smokers have the right to smoke in their homes, in their cars and away from people.
    It is not the concern of the smoker verse the non-smoker. It is the government coming into your establishment, place of business and telling you what you can and can't do.

I smoked for years before quiting 7 years ago but had to vote yes.

What's funny about this country is that most Americans will pass a tax on smokes and booze to try and force people to stop and "help" cover health care costs but would never dream pf raising a tax on gasoline to try and curb consumption and force people to park the guzzlers.
    C.H.U.D.

[quote="Deputy Nutz"]

It is not the concern of the smoker verse the non-smoker. It is the government coming into your establishment, place of business and telling you what you can and can't do.[/quote

If that helps you sleep better, keep thinking that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    It is not the concern of the smoker verse the non-smoker. It is the government coming into your establishment, place of business and telling you what you can and can't do.
    Ya, I can understand this point of view. But you're not allowed to hire child labor to work cheap for your business. And the government says you can't let your doggy eat scraps off the floor back in your diner's kitchen. The government does a lot of interference in the interest of protecting certain public interests. Its just the reality, we ain't going back to the 1800's.

Working in an establishment that allows smoking is a hell of a health risk. Can you imagine what it feels like to breath-in smoke for a 10 hour shift? And the argument "if you don't like the health/safety risks, quit your job" has never flied and never will. If you talk to workers in restaurants/bars a few months after a smoking ban goes into effect, you find very happy, relieved people.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    What's funny about this country is that most Americans will pass a tax on smokes and booze to try and force people to stop and "help" cover health care costs but would never dream pf raising a tax on gasoline to try and curb consumption and force people to park the guzzlers.
    It's so true that people are happy to punish other people's vices! Smoking weed is relatively unpopular, so the majority is willing to ruin those peoples lives and careers by sending them to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Ya, I can understand this point of view. But you're not allowed to hire child labor to work cheap for your business. And the government says you can't let your doggy eat scraps off the floor back in your diner's kitchen. The government does a lot of interference in the interest of protecting certain public interests. Its just the reality, we ain't going back to the 1800's.

Working in an establishment that allows smoking is a hell of a health risk. Can you imagine what it feels like to breath-in smoke for a 10 hour shift? And the argument "if you don't like the health/safety risks, quit your job" has never flied and never will. If you talk to workers in restaurants/bars a few months after a smoking ban goes into effect, you find very happy, relieved people.
    There are child labor laws that business have to follow. Smoking has been legal in this country for 100s of years. I am only pointing out that smoking is legal, using child labor in coal mines is not.

I am only pointing out that smoking is legal, using child labor in coal mines is not.
    Again, fucking is legal. Fucking on the diner counter is not. Well, maybe after hours is cool.

Damn, you can be dense sometimes.

Good point. I guess if you don't like smoke, don't go to places that allow it.

Public places that are necessity like an airport, DMV, grocery store, and things like that I think it's right to ban. Places like bars or movie theaters should be the choice of the owner. If there is smoke at one movie theater I'll bet most people don't take their kids there and almost no non smokers will go there. People who smoke tend to go to bars. If they can run a buisness having smoking, I think it's right to leave it up to them.

[quote="packinpatland"]

It is not the concern of the smoker verse the non-smoker. It is the government coming into your establishment, place of business and telling you what you can and can't do.[/quote

If that helps you sleep better, keep thinking that.
    I could really care less about smoking in public places, but have you ever heard of the slippery slope effect? You keep handing over your rights to the government pretty soon they just start taking your right without even putting it up for debate.

Thanks, I got one of those sleep number beds and they really do help. I didn't sleep real well last night though, my right shoulder has been damaged it is a pain to sleep with. I will continue to update you on my progress though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I am only pointing out that smoking is legal, using child labor in coal mines is not.
    Again, fucking is legal. Fucking on the diner counter is not. Well, maybe after hours is cool.

Damn, you can be dense sometimes.
    Last time I checked if I took a shit on a resturant table it was illegal, and has always been. fucking on the counter is 100% illegal and I am pretty sure it NEVER WAS LEGAL!!!!

Smoking has been allowed in privately owned business for a very long time.

Unless something is specifically written out you can't wrap your 2 cent head around it.

Smoking has been allowed in privately owned business for a very long time.
    That's because at the time no one knew or would admit that the shit can KILL YOU!!! Now they know better and don't want the public exposed to it.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    I smoked for years before quiting 7 years ago but had to vote yes.

I don't know where you live, but we have a massive gas tax here--to go along with sales tax (vendor and consumer), income tax, property tax, sin tax, death tax (let's tax 50% on money that's already been taxed--just because you want to pass your money to your kids), luxury tax, marriage tax, estate tax, corportate income tax, environment affecting tax, capital gains tax, retirement tax, user fees, seat rights, parking fees, tolls, etc. Our tax burden is outrageous.

Of course, the sin tax is a great way to get people to quit smoking.

How can you have a death tax AND an estate tax? (they only get away with that because they know the dead people won't vote 'em out of office. )
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings