Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine question

Wine question

This is partly for packinpatland and partly for whoever else has knowledge of wine.

I'll run down my wine tastes so far and hopefully someone can give me general direction of where to try next.

The only wine I've drinken that I really like has been Merlot. I want to try other wines (between 10 and 20 dollars). I'd even buy it and age it for a couple years if I had to.

I don't like Chardonnay (too dry). I don't like Shiraz (or at least the spicey bottle I had). I don't like white Zin (too light, I can't put my finger on it, but I like a little body to my wine).

So far, I've really liked Merlot. I sampled some cabernet souvignon and liked it, but I like to recreational drink and that seemed more like a meal sipping wine.

OK pros, I've given you all I know about what I like about wine. You have any suggestions?

If you do, thanks, I hate buying wine and then being pissed off cuz it tastes like shit. That's why the last 20 bottles I've boughten have been merlot and even the worst, acidy merlot is better than Chardonnay or that spicy Shiraz crap I had Anyway, I'm ready to go outside my wine comfort zone and try different wines even if I have to choke down some bad wine. My hope is to get some general direction if anyone has it? ? ??

Try a nice port and if that doesn't work, try a riesling. But why not just do a wine tasting so you can try a bunch of different things and figure out what you like?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Re: Wine question

JH,

I will have to keep tabs on this. I want broaden my horizons as well. I, like Merlot the most. But I do like Shirazes. I do like Chiantis. I can deal with Chardonnay. I have a tough time with REALLY dry wines.

For a brand, Kenwood puts on some nice, reasonably priced wines. Have received a Zinfandel (red) from a website client it was fantastic.

Also, if you like to try something different, try an ice wine. Had some in Ontario on a trip to Niagara Falls. It is an excellent dessert wine. Jackson Triggs has a 2005 and 2006 ice wine that's pretty good.

Here's a link....
    http://www.bizrate.com/wine/oid697034453.html

Hope this is a start.....
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Oh yeah, I've tried Reisling. I'd say it's pretty safe. I'd say after Merlot, it's probably 2nd.

I still think there is something I'm missing. Something very similar to Merlot but more perfect.

I think the wine tasting is the way to go. We have a nice little wine store near by that has wine tasting events.

What Shiraz did you drink that was to "spicy"? I'm confused by that.... I can throw a bunch of reasonably priced reds out there for you to try but there is only going to be ONE merlot on the list and the rest will be blends, shiraz, cabs, a zin or two, chianti and on and on....For a nice refreshing balanced white find a Vino Verde (Portugal) and a Giesen or Matua Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand).

More on the reds later.....don't be a pussy.
    C.H.U.D.

Oh yeah, I've had Chianti a couple times too. I really should start records again and not delete them so I remember this. I thought the Chianti was alright too. I'd compare the Chianti I had to an average bottle of Merlot as far as how much I liked it. If I recall correctly, Chianti was a little bit safer too. Nothing real impactfull about it but nothing to turn you off either.

And I agree with you, I hate super dry wines. I don't really like super sweet wines either.

I've also had Red Zin and I thought it was OK. It had a little too much umph for me. I could see warming up to it over time, but right now something a little less extreme is where it's at for me.

? HOFer
    wine.woot.com

Yeah, give me some reds, freak out. I'll give one a test run (if I can find it) this weekend and then give it a review on here

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    wine.woot.com
    Partial, I found that

I thought of you when I found it and somehow I knew you'd throw that out here

I'm no wine expert. But there is a few I'd recommend.

Have you all seen the movie 'Sideways'?............NO MERLOT!

Actually, I am partial to the reds. The best domestics that I regularly have, (got a glass in hand) have come from the Russian River area of Sonoma, CA. Two in particular are Hahn and Ravenswood. I like their Cabernet Savignon. Rabbit Run is good too.

There's some really good reds from South Africa and Australia, but I'd rather buy US.

Having said that.........my all time favorite has been (we had two bottles, one remains unopened) is Chateau Le Bon Pasteur 1993, it's a blend of 80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc. Am waiting for a special occasion to uncork that one. Perhaps SB next year?

When the weather gets warm, there are times I'd rather drink a white. My favorite is Ecco Domani, it's an Italian Pinot Grigio.......'softer' than a Chardonay. I've never had anyone not like it.

So that's it.......my very uncomplicated take on wine.

Another 'wine' movie is 'A Good Year'.........excellent. Salut!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Me and a friend once drank 5 bottles of this. Real classy stuff.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

How about a nice 3.00 bottle?

Ever tried 2 buck chuck? Good stuff for 5.00 a bottle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Try a sparkling wine sometime, like a moscato or prosecco:

http://www.ilsparkling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz

How about a nice 3.00 bottle?

Ever tried 2 buck chuck? Good stuff for 5.00 a bottle.
    In my college days, it was Annie Green Springs...99cents a bottle.

2 buck chuck is good stuff.....only if you have a Trader Joe's near.

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    In my college days, it was Annie Green Springs...99cents a bottle.
    <==searches for picture of TJ Swan wine.

Try a Pinot Noir from Oregon when eating chicken or turkey

For a white wine with italian food try an Italian Pinot Grigio

For a red wine with Italian food/pizza I like Californian Cabernet Savignon.

I drink Californian Merlot with Steak
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackGo
    Try a Pinot Noir from Oregon when eating chicken or turkey

For a white wine with italian food try an Italian Pinot Grigio

For a red wine with Italian food/pizza I like Californian Cabernet Savignon.

I drink Californian Merlot with Steak
    I could live with this ^.
    Any labels you like better than others?

Anyone still drinking chablis?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Anyone still drinking chablis?

Its still kinda early for me, but if you'd like to get your groove on in the morning - go for it.