Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine question

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Anyone still drinking chablis?
    The best wines come in a cardboard box. Bike on down to the discount liquor store for a "Tour de Franzia."

Do you have any idea how long it would take me to drink a 5-liter box of wine? It would be vinegar before I was halfway through it.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    I get a gagging reflex just looking at a box of wine.....sorry......guess I just haven't tried any in a few years. There's just something about opening the frig and seeing boxed wine.

But you know what.......I just may give it a whirl.
    Just kidding......actually, I enjoyed these reds most recently:

Vampire Cabernet Sauvignon

Penfolds Bin 47 Cabernet Sauvignon

Il Bastardo Sangiovese
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

There is a little wine store in West DePere (just south of GB for those who don't live here) called the wine cellar.

It's not one of those fancy little wine stores, it's sort low budget the way it's set up, but they have a guy there, the wine guy as I know him, who is excellent and suggesting wines. I think he drinks alot. Anyway. . .

I went today and bought two bottles of pinot noir on his recommendation. One is Forest Glenn (cheap, but the guy said it was a good cheap bottle of pinot) and the other, Grayson.

I've heard good things about Pinot so I'm excited to give it a test run.

Tell people you've just consulted with your sommelier and it makes the joint classy anyway...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    There is a little wine store in West DePere (just south of GB for those who don't live here) called the wine cellar.
    I grew up four blocks away from the Wine Cellar.....on Elm Street.

Here's an idea:

With 11 wineries within a short driving distance of Green Bay, I'm sure a wine tasting tour for the next Packer Rats gathering could be arranged.

We just need to get a volunteer driver.

Door County is cherry country. So you'll find some excellent fruit wines, but if fruity isn't your thing (sorry Harlan)...you'll probably be disappointed in the WI wineries around here.

It's not one of those fancy little wine stores, it's sort low budget the way it's set up, but they have a guy there, the wine guy as I know him, who is excellent and suggesting wines. I think he drinks alot. Anyway. . .

I went today and bought two bottles of pinot noir on his recommendation. One is Forest Glenn (cheap, but the guy said it was a good cheap bottle of pinot) and the other, Grayson.

JH - Have you been to Festival on Mason St lately? They totally remodeled their liquor store and it's awesome. Grocery shopping and wine tasting go hand in hand Anyhow, I just picked up some Hungarian wine and it's soooo good.

If you like to sample different beer without having to buy a 6 pack of the same, they also have a huge refridgerated section of single beers from all over the place. I've never seen that where you can mix beer like that. I've seen it in 3.2 beer & you can only have two drinks an hour Utah but not WI - makes no sense!

You can buy wine on Sunday? Here in CT.............no way. Also, everything is locked daily up after 9pm. Makes a good case for the wine cellar I've added to my 'bucket/wish list.

You can buy wine on Sunday? Here in CT.............no way. Also, everything is locked daily up after 9pm. Makes a good case for the wine cellar I've added to my 'bucket/wish list.
    Had you and hubby decided to stay in Cedarburg for the Winter Fest, you could wander over to the Cedar Creek Winery for some hot mulled wine samples before watching the Dog Weight Pull Contest.

http://www.cedarburgfestivals.org/Wi...s/page0002.htm

Looks like three clams will get you a winery tour with free tasting:

http://www.cedarcreekwinery.com/tours.asp

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

That is because you live in Puritan land. I bet you can't hunt on Sunday either.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike
    Here's an idea:

With 11 wineries within a short driving distance of Green Bay, I'm sure a wine tasting tour for the next Packer Rats gathering could be arranged.

We just need to get a volunteer driver.
    Von Stiehl makes some excellent varietal wines (e.g. Cherry). They are located in Door County.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

[quote="Deputy Nutz"]

That is because you live in Puritan land. I bet you can't hunt on Sunday either.[/quote

What is it you'd like me to go out and kill?
    Hit a wild turkey, actually three of them, on Fri. Just thought I'd share that.

Guess I should have said I hit them with my car..........

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Von Stiehl makes some excellent varietal wines (e.g. Cherry). They are located in Door County.
    Actually, I believe that's in Kewaunee County.

Just sampled my Pinot Noir. It's good. I'm enjoying it. It's acctually nice to venture out of Merlot land for a while. Next I'm going to try cabernet, but for now I'm going to enjoy my Pinot with dinner and the kids are going to be early tonight No naps

Just sampled my Pinot Noir. It's good. I'm enjoying it. It's acctually nice to venture out of Merlot land for a while. Next I'm going to try cabernet, but for now I'm going to enjoy my Pinot with dinner and the kids are going to be early tonight No naps
    Lucky Mrs

I don't have a drop of wine in the house.

I guess I'll have to settle for tequila...I apologize in advance for any Spanish that follows...

'I don't have a drop of wine in the house.'

In this house, that'd be same as saying the water was shut off.

? HOFer
    Is there a good wine to develop a taste for wine? I cannot stomach it. It is offensive to my pallet.

Anyone a scotch drinker here? I am trying to get down on the stuff but its intense. I haven't tried a single malt yet, only some mid-range mixed malts.