Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Minorities in America

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonePackFan
    However, I don't consider it a big deal until they win (as you said in the first sentence). There's an assumption in here that I'm not willing to make yet, that we as a country have come far enough that it really doesn't matter anymore. Just because these two are leading the primaries in the Democratic Party (which has a strong base in both women and African-Americans) doesn't mean it applies to the rest of the country. Have we come a long way since the sixties? Yes. Are we there yet? We'll find out.
    I disagree with this. If I felt either candidate was really strong, and they lost, then it would prove something. Hilary is the great polarizer. Whether she wins or losses has little to do with her gender, IMHO. Obama has a 1/2 stint as a Senator and no other experience on a national level. He's a much better candidate than Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, but I could see him losing a fair fight on his credentials alone. To me, Obama is like Colin Powell and Condi Rice in that they are impressive people who people want to do well--that aren't out to divide the country on racial lines (like Jackson and Sharpton have done). That's a step in the right direction. If Obama loses, it won't signal an end to his presidential aspirations. In fact, getting some experience on the Cabinet or something like that might bode well for his future prospects. I know Harlan is big on the Hilary bandwagon, but I believe there have been better female presidential candidates that have come along.

BTW, the whole theme of this thread seems to prey on a long-running concept of white guilt. I, for one, won't feel guilty about not voting for a black or woman candidate if I don't feel they are the best candidate or qualified to be President. When a woman or black candidate (or Hispanic, Asian, etc.) comes along that I feel strongly about, I'll have no inhibitions about voting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    BTW, the whole theme of this thread seems to prey on a long-running concept of white guilt. I, for one, won't feel guilty about not voting for a black or woman candidate if I don't feel they are the best candidate or qualified to be President. When a woman or black candidate (or Hispanic, Asian, etc.) comes along that I feel strongly about, I'll have no inhibitions about voting for them.
    From now on Harv, when I want to say something and not come across combative, I'll PM you and you translate.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    From now on Harv, when I want to say something and not come across combative, I'll PM you and you translate.
    Seconded.

Re: Minorities in America

Quote Originally Posted by 4and12to12and4
    The fact that Hillary and Barak are winning almost all the primaries is astounding and shows us that America's youth are decidedly sick and tired of being lied to and are actively looking for change. Whether or not either democratic nominee can offer that is yet to be seen, but the voice of America is screaming out and showing it's disgust ... FINALLY.
    Ummm... You do realize that the Democrats and Republicans have separate primaries right?

Hillary and Obama are winning the [democratic] primaries because they are the only two democratic candidates. They aren't running against anyone else - especially not a republican (I'm assuming that's the "change" you're referring to).

You think having a woman or black president will be revolutionary? I think it will be more revolutionary when more Americans understand the process of actually electing said president. Unfortunately we seem to be headed in the other direction.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Re: Minorities in America

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Quote Originally Posted by 4and12to12and4
    The fact that Hillary and Barak are winning almost all the primaries is astounding and shows us that America's youth are decidedly sick and tired of being lied to and are actively looking for change. Whether or not either democratic nominee can offer that is yet to be seen, but the voice of America is screaming out and showing it's disgust ... FINALLY.
    Ummm... You do realize that the Democrats and Republicans have separate primaries right?

Hillary and Obama are winning the [democratic] primaries because they are the only two democratic candidates. They aren't running against anyone else - especially not a republican (I'm assuming that's the "change" you're referring to).

You think having a woman or black president will be revolutionary? I think it will be more revolutionary when more Americans understand the process of actually electing said president. Unfortunately we seem to be headed in the other direction.
    It's been headed the wrong way for some time now. Do they even teach basic civics in school anymore? Maybe the question should be does anyone pay attention?
    C.H.U.D.

You know, at first I was a little sad by the quote above by 4thandalonglongwaytogotosane.

But then the humor of someone so earnestly and excitedly describing democrats winning "almost all" of the democratic primaries as "astounding" set in, and I do have to say I think it might be worth Americans forgetting how elections work if we can have more moments like this to share.

Skin, you are one sneaky bastard. Gotta admire that persistence.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Sneaky like a fox or sneaky like the crabs? I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.

Obama, McCain, Clinton

There isn't a solid leader who deserves to be president in the group.
    I'm not going to get caught up in the "first Black man or woman President" fever. I don't care what race or gender the next president is, they just need to be able to command the respect of the House, Senate, and other world leaders, relate with people from every income, fix healthcare, the national debt, and illegal immigration. I'm also not thrilled that America has become the world police. Bring all of the troops home except the ones that are in Iraq right now.
    Is this to much to ask? probably. It seems like this country got in way over its head a long time ago.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

No president has been a POW. Lets vote McCain to right that wrong.

Sneaky like a fox or sneaky like the crabs? I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.
    A little of both...it'll come to you eventually. Remember, Jesus is watching you. Apparently.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Just because he was a POW doesn't mean that he's fit to be Commander in Chief. Sure, I admire and respect the guy for all he's done, but kids come back from Iraq everyday with their limbs blown off. Why not elect them president?
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    Just because he was a POW doesn't mean that he's fit to be Commander in Chief. Sure, I admire and respect the guy for all he's done, but kids come back from Iraq everyday with their limbs blown off. Why not elect them president?
    Thanks for reiterating my point.

A little of both...it'll come to you eventually. Remember, Jesus is watching you. Apparently.
    No, I'm pretty sure it won't. My brain works on very limited resources, and I have no inclination to decipher riddles. Never mind. I understand. Look at that. I'm marginally less dumb than I previously thought. I thought what you're referring to was obvious. It has been weeks after all. Not as obvious as all the titties bouncing around here lately, but not really a riddle either.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackGo
    Obama, McCain, Clinton

Name three people you'd rather see become president.

EVERY election people claim all the candidates suck. Nobody survives a primary or general election without getting picked apart, fairly and unfairly.

I would choose Flava Flav over Obama right now as a viable presidential candidate. I like his catchphrase more and he knows how to negotiate with whores.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Obama, McCain, Clinton

EVERY election people claim all the candidates suck. Nobody survives a primary or general election without getting picked apart, fairly and unfairly.
    There aren't 3 perfect candidates that i have in mind, I'm just not crazy about the big 3. My vote is between Huckabee and Obama. Since Huckabee isn't going to make it that far I guess that leaves Obama.
    I already stated what I expect my perfect president to accomplish (in 2 terms) in my previous post. I have very little faith that Obama or the others will be able to do these things.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Obama, McCain, Clinton

There aren't 3 perfect candidates that i have in mind, I'm just not crazy about the big 3. My vote is between Huckabee and Obama. Since Huckabee isn't going to make it that far I guess that leaves Obama.
    I already stated what I expect my perfect president to accomplish (in 2 terms) in my previous post. I have very little faith that Obama or the others will be able to do these things.
    you only get to elect a human being. your only hope is to create a robot that you control. a manchurian candidate.

What many seem to be trying to say is the two PEOPLE vying for the Dem nomination are not nearly as qualified as some would like. The history that might be made will be news for about a month, then our new leader will have four years of hard work ahead of them. Personally I am hoping the next President elected will be the most qualified to fix some problems. If they happen to be black or female, great, but I am more concerned about what they do, not who they are.