Thread: OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    How do you like Australia's chances?

Group F

Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan
    I like their chances. I'm thisclose to picking them. Brazil is in. I think it's a tossup with the other three. I like the attitude of the Australians. I don't think they'll be afraid. I think they've been waiting for this, and have a lot to prove.

Well, I hope the Aussies go through. They certainly add richness! I can't make any predictions, I am a jinx!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    Well, I hope the Aussies go through. They certainly add richness! I can't make any predictions, I am a jinx!
    The aussies weren't involved in WC 2002 were they? Maybe you made a prediction during qualifying?
    "For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure."

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

Updated: June 4, 2006
    Czech concern over Baros foot problem

Czech Republic striker Milan Baros has joined the injury list for the world's second-ranked team.

The Aston Villa hitman had to be substituted in the first half of the last Czech friendly in Prague against Trinidad & Tobago after feeling a prickling sensation in his foot.
    Team doctors have ordered the 24-year-old - who was top scorer in Euro 2004 - to rest for two days and he joins midfielders Tomas Rosicky and Tomas Galasek on the treatment table.
    The Czechs will travel to Germany on Tuesday and their first World Cup match is scheduled on June 12 against USA in Gelsenkirchen.

Interesting. Kohler is hurt as well. USA vs Czech wil be an absolute barn burner.
    "For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure."

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

Holland - Australia 1-1 in a friendly. Dare I hope?

Did you watch the games? I just saw the highlights, but It looked like Viduka just about won it. Wasn't Australia plating a m an down as well for most of the game.

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Outside the Lines had an interesting take on the racism that is plaguing the sport of soccer in Europe. How factual it is, I don't know, it was on ESPN.

Na, I missed it. I didn't even know it was on! But, I am up to my eyeballs in aligators....

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    I think this columnist is a Twin Cities guy. Talk about a f'in retard. Anyone care to write him and tell him how off the mark he is?

Maybe non-fans do know soccer
    If the government really is serious about identifying illegal immigrants, it soon will be provided a unique opportunity to record their whereabouts.

All the Department of Homeland Security has to do is monitor the city-by-city television ratings of this month's World Cup soccer tournament. Agents should be dispatched to any area in which the ratings reflect an unnaturally high level of interest. That likely signals a concentrated pocket of illegals.

No one who actually is from here cares about the most over-hyped, mind-numbingly boring event in the world. Nevertheless, ABC and ESPN will combine to broadcast all 64 games live and in high definition starting on Friday. High definition means that over the course of a 90-minute contest, both scoring chances can be viewed with crystal clarity.

There's no word yet on whether any of the games will be presented "commercial free." The networks usually make a big deal out of doing that. It's their way of telling us how important the World Cup is. Remember, there were no commercial interruptions when man first walked on the moon.

It makes sense, too. After 20-minute stretches of televised World Cup nothingness, an action-packed commercial definitely would seem intrusive.

Thirty years after soccer was supposed to be the next thing here, ESPN and ABC will attempt to "educate" as well as entertain American viewers during the World Cup, according to an article in Sunday's paper. The arrogance is astounding. The networks still are subscribing to the tired old chestnut that Americans aren't interested in soccer because we don't understand it.

All that tactical beauty is somehow slipping past us. We aren't smart enough to understand the nuances involved in the most popular game in the world.

In fact, just the opposite is true. We don't like soccer because we do understand it. And it's awful.

It's time to quit apologizing and tell the truth. When it comes to soccer, we're right, and the rest of the world is wrong. If they want to dance in the streets of Cameroon or Belgium over this stuff, fine. But the sport does not suit American taste, and we should stop feeling guilty about it.

Look, Americans are an industrious people. We use our hands. We catch footballs. We throw baseballs. We hit golf balls and tennis balls by gripping a piece of equipment. It is unnatural for us to put our hands behind our backs and try to "pass" a soccer ball to a teammate by bouncing it off our heads. We aren't circus seals, and no one is going to toss us a fish if we do it right.

It also offends our sense of fair play to watch a lone referee try to police an area the size of Rhode Island and then get blamed for the outcome by whichever team loses. And regardless of how passionate we are about our sports teams, we draw the line at pipe bombs.

Many spectators in soccer-crazed countries warm up for a big match by hitting their neighbor in the head with a brick. And as soon as little Nigel or Fiona is old enough, mum and dad take them out back and practice squishing them against a chain link fence.

No matter which country wins, rest assured that thousands will die in worldwide rioting. I'm going to pick up the satellite feed of The Hooligan Network, direct from Europe. They show split screen: the soccer game on one half, fans clubbing each other on the other.

Yes, America may be the only country that doesn't go goofy for soccer. We also are the only remaining super power. Don't you see a connection there?

In fairness, soccer is a great activity for little kids. It allows them to run around outside before their motor skills are fully developed and they can move onto something else. It's not bad at the high school level, either, because individual abilities vary greatly at that age, and weird play often occurs as a result.

Beyond that, it's unbearable. As the World Cup rolls around again, I refuse to apologize for saying I'd rather have a colonoscopy than watch a minute of it. Soccer is the rest of the world's problem. Let's not even fake it anymore.

Who cares if the French or Chinese think we are uncivilized? What's the big deal if opponents from the Middle East shake hands after a match? Their countries will be at each other's throats again the next day, anyway.

Perhaps ABC and ESPN will garner decent ratings when the tournament begins. For at least one government agency, the demographics of that audience could prove very interesting.

Tom Powers can be reached

at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

Well, I know a bunch of posters on here that might have written this...

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar
    Sadly, I think you're right Tar... (even though it is actually Tom Powers, part of the Pioneer Press staff).

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

Tyler, I am so OK with people who don't get off on Soccer. These things I grew up with. Did you check out my link?? Funny!

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I think the World Cup is awesome, unfortunately it is the only time that I will pay attention. Soccer in the united states is pretty pathetic. But watching the best in the world go at is enjoyable and I am glad that ABC and ESPN provide as much coverage as they do.

Well atleast this A-hole took a different approach to dissing the game. Usually they just talk about how boring it is and blah blah blah. I think there are some people in the same camp as you Nutz. People in this country want to see the best of the best. The MLS in mildly entertaining. I'd rather watch it then MLB personally. But the camp that really pisses me off is the people that have never seen an entire game of world class soccer in their life, yet speak to the lameness of it like they know something. It seems that with each successful showing at the WC though this country is pulled closer to enjoying soccer as a whole. I doubt we'll ever have a dominate league, but I wouldn't be suprised if the Champions League went worldwide and the US had a pretty good team.

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

Amoeba soccer is helping a lot. What is amoeba soccer you ask? Watch 4-5 year old pee-wee once and you'll understand. There are more and more kids playing and the older they get, there will be more and more adults watching. I don't regularly watch, but don't appreciate some hack reporter from Minn. telling me what I like to watch and what I think of the game. (I am so down on the media this week). He doesn't speak for all Americans, thank you as I happen to be one and was watching when (who was it?) Hamm, perhaps? yanked her shirt off after they won. It was a great game.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    There are more and more kids playing and the older they get, there will be more and more adults watching.
    I personally enjoy soccer--even the MLS a little bit when some big names like Johnson or Donovan are playing. However, we've been hearing this mantra about soccer for decades. Not sure if it will ever come true. I have my doubts whether it will ever become a major sport. I could see it becoming a legit secondary sport in the USA--like tennis and golf. Soccer in the USA really needs a legitimate superstar, and sadly I don't think Freddy Adu is that guy.

I'll give Adu a fair shot yet. I mean he's only 16. He almost made WC team. I agree with you about the MLS. Americans want to see the best of the best. Every summer for 3 years some of the best teams have been coming here to play eachother in exhibition matches in US stadiums. I saw AC MIlan vs Juventus in the Italian Supercup as well as Manchester United vs Juventus both in Giants stadium a few years ago. Both games were sold out beyond belief. Soldier field last summer Man U played Bayern Munich to a sold out crowd, it was a lot of fun to be at as well. They call these Champions World Tours and the people that planned them are making ungodly money because of the success they have seen in the US, nearly selling out every location. This shows that fans like the sport, just want to be exposed to the best of the best.

I think with so many Americans in Europe those matches of Fulham (McBride, Bocanegra) Manchester City (Reyna) , Everton (T. Howard will start on loan from Man U.) and the newly promoted Reading (Hanneman, Convey) people will be drawn more into the leagues of the world as we follow our players. Eddie Johnson could be a star. A lot rides on this WC.

I think this WC will be a success for a few reasons.

1. There isn't shit to watch in the summer.
    2. All of these Games will be televised in HD. I have a big HDTV and I've found myself watching some pretty crazy things simply because they were in HD. I think the Games will have that effect on others.
    3.Decent hours. The last WC games were televised at 1:00am and 3:30 am. These games will be at 10:00am, :1:00pm and 2:00pm. That's very reasonable hours, especially for a Saturday. I think the US vs Italy game on Sat. June 17th at 1:30pm will get good ratings.

We'll see.

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

THIS MIGHT COME IN HANDY

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

and it all starts in the morning

this is the first soccer i've watched since the last world cup, and i i can't wait

Germany v Costa Rica at 12 est

and

Poland v Ecuador at 3 est