Well, i had better explain first before i just go and tell you my fav country band. Also let me preface this by saying that i too can listen and enjoy many kinds of music. Hiphop, rock, classical, blues, rap, oldies. just about everything. there is not a whole lot i can't listen too. My neck is not as red as jack thinks, but i'll let him continue to think that way. In country music, i mostly appreciate the old song writers, and singers. Mostly the ones that were Balladers. Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe and such. I have a great respect for artist who write there own music. You know they have a deeper tie to the songs than just a paycheck. with that being said here is my fav country music artist and the story "behind the music".

so as a kid I spent summers at my grandparents, who lived on farm in western Iowa. And this group had a song that mentioned their town. Small town. no traffic signals, downtown consists of 2 bars, gas station, and a VFW. So it was pretty cool that they wrote a song that had there town.
This group later broke apart (peacefully) and formed Manhiem Steamroller. They only had 1 real popular song, as a matter of fact it was so popular they made a movie after the song. The creator of this group, as i found out later, were really an advertising exec. he wrote a successful commercial. so much so that people were calling radio stations to request the commercial. So the record lable approached them to write a song. Have you guessed the group? CW Mcall. the song, Convoy. and now you know the rest of the story. good day