Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Band (s)

Senior Rat All-Pro jack's smirking revenge's Avatar

Favorite Band (s)

If you've read my posts for a while, you'll get the impression that I'm a metalhead. Well, I am, but I'd like to think I'm pretty diverse. I like everything from Slayer to Enya, but my favorite band is Better Than Ezra ("It was good livin' with you, wah-how.....").

Why? Because their lyrics are comical, fresh and humorous. Their live shows are always entertaining and the band has intelligence and charisma. I've been a fan since my college days in the early 90s and have seen them too many times to count.

What are your faves and why?

tyler
    Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
    A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
    The mind is its own place, and in it self
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

"Paradise Lost"-John Milton

Right now I'm groovin' on Matchbox 20. A radio announcer said the other day that Rob Thomas could sing the phone book and it would sound good. Carlos Santana said that he choose Thomas to sing Smooth because when he sings, you believe him. I agree.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Rob Thomas is a hit-making machine and is a vastly talented musician. I've always dug Matchbox 20 and own all of their albums. A great band.

tyler

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    hey jack, can i ruin this thread, as well, with country??

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Coldplay. I dont know why but i think i may be into britpop. I like their lyrics and sounds and the fact that they are a liberal band. u2 is pretty good but i didnt start listening to music seriously until i was like 14 or 15. Need a band where i can follow from the bottom up, from their 1st album on. First coldplay song i heard was the hit "yellow."

Dont take this the wrong way, as I am NOT gay, but i think Chris Martin has a beautiful voice.

I agree on Better Than Ezra and Rob Thomas.

My favorite band is Third Eye Blind. I like a little bit of everything, so my mix is a bit eclectic. Other bands and singers that I like include:

Rock/Alternative: TEB, Better Than Exra, Soul Coughing/Doughty, Radiohead, Blur, Semisonic, The BoDeans, Weezer
    Hip Hop: DMX, Method Man, House Of Pain/Everlast
    Reggae: Buju Banton
    Pop: Hootie, Matchbox 20/Rob Thomas
    Old School: Bruce Springsteen, Led Zepellin, The Eagles, Rod Stewart, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue

Don't forget Gin Blossoms and Aerosmith. Not to mention old Queen.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    hey jack, can i ruin this thread, as well, with country??
    How dare you soil my thread with a country response.

Of course your opinion is welcome. I'm interested who your favorite country band is and why.

tyler

The closest I can get to country is Norah Jones. (or perhaps Adrian Legg, but he is more classical guitar)

Norah Jones is a very modest talent who got way too much public exposure. The new Barbara Streisand.

Sorry for snotty remarks, but the first NJ album got played so many times at the coffee shop where I hang-out, I had to find a new place.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear
    Coldplay. I dont know why but i think i may be into britpop. I like their lyrics and sounds and the fact that they are a liberal band. u2 is pretty good but i didnt start listening to music seriously until i was like 14 or 15. Need a band where i can follow from the bottom up, from their 1st album on. First coldplay song i heard was the hit "yellow."

Dont take this the wrong way, as I am NOT gay, but i think Chris Martin has a beautiful voice.
    I haven't delved deeply into Coldplay, but I love the song they have on the "Garden State" soundtrack. (I love that whole soundtrack).

I don't think there's anything gay about loving a male singer's voice if you're male. My favorite vocalists are male (though Enya, Sheryl Crow, Beth Gibbons from Portishead, Lisa Gerard from Dead Can Dance follow closely behind).

tyler

Overplay can kill anyone for you.

Michael Stipe is still my favorite vocalist.

I've been liking Death Cab for Cutie, a pop band.

REM is inimitable.

Well, i had better explain first before i just go and tell you my fav country band. Also let me preface this by saying that i too can listen and enjoy many kinds of music. Hiphop, rock, classical, blues, rap, oldies. just about everything. there is not a whole lot i can't listen too. My neck is not as red as jack thinks, but i'll let him continue to think that way. In country music, i mostly appreciate the old song writers, and singers. Mostly the ones that were Balladers. Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe and such. I have a great respect for artist who write there own music. You know they have a deeper tie to the songs than just a paycheck. with that being said here is my fav country music artist and the story "behind the music".

so as a kid I spent summers at my grandparents, who lived on farm in western Iowa. And this group had a song that mentioned their town. Small town. no traffic signals, downtown consists of 2 bars, gas station, and a VFW. So it was pretty cool that they wrote a song that had there town.
    This group later broke apart (peacefully) and formed Manhiem Steamroller. They only had 1 real popular song, as a matter of fact it was so popular they made a movie after the song. The creator of this group, as i found out later, were really an advertising exec. he wrote a successful commercial. so much so that people were calling radio stations to request the commercial. So the record lable approached them to write a song. Have you guessed the group? CW Mcall. the song, Convoy. and now you know the rest of the story. good day

I'm kind of a metalhead myself. My fav. all time would have to be Bryan Adams. Right now I;m into bands like Disturbed but I still listen to the old stuff from time to time. If I were gonna pick a country band, Waylon Jennings would be it. I listen to a lil bit of everything.

jeffro, I think the country comment was directed towards me. Jack likes me to show off my neck.

but any way, please explain why each of those bands are your fav. give us a "behind the Music".

Behind the music. OK here we go. As far as Bryan Adams. Back in 1983 I went to a Journey concert in Kansas City and B.A. opened the show. He kicked ten kinds of ass and I've been hooked ever sense. When I was a kid my dad listened to country and had a Waylon Jennings 8-track, used to play it all the time. Are you sure Hank done it this way ( I think thats the title to the song) has always stuck with me.

I saw Bryan Adams in '84 or '85, and it was a kickass show.

jeffro, I can't say if that is the song that stuck with you or not but it is a Waylon song. I can remember as a kid listening to country music with my grandparents and folks. my grandpa was a huge Cash fan. here are the lyrics to your song.
    ------
    It's the same old tune, fiddle and guitar
    Where do we take it from here
    Rhinestone suits and new shiny cars
    We've been the same way for years
    We need to change

Somebody told me when I got to Nashville
    Son you finally got it made
    Old Hank made it here, we’re all sure that you will
    But I don't think Hank done it this way
    I don't think Hank done it this way

Ten years down the road, making one night stands