Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Moktada al-Sadr, Emperor of Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    sorry for interrupting the war, but thought you might want to take a break to see Paul McCartney's man boobs.

Is he using Grecian formula or something? Who's the woman he's with?
    C.H.U.D.

The huffingtonpost.com to me is the flagship of the demogogueing left of the Democratic Party. Maybe this year is their season. I'm sad that they are driving moderates out of the party with their relentless hate and name calling. But enough about my sorrow.

Arianna Huffington wrote a column Closing the Message Gap on Iraq: A Responsible Plan to End the War

Look at her summary of the this plan:
    The 20-page plan (which you can read in its entirety here), doesn't just lay out how to end the war -- it also addresses the institutional failures that led to the tragic invasion and occupation of Iraq. This includes rebuilding the U.S. diplomatic apparatus, banning the use of armed military contractors like Blackwater, banning torture, promoting government transparency, and restoring accountability through the checks and balances laid out in the Constitution.

How idiotic. As if spending more time reviewing 2003 is going to provide us with answers on dealing with Sadir. And replacing the evil, evil private contractors like Blackwater with U.S. military will improve matters significantly.

I read the report. The military recomendation is to pull-out U.S. troops and replace them with peace-keeping troops from "international organizations." This is just laughable. The U.N. won't even put in an office in IRaq. Can you imagine blue helmets providing security on the streets!?

John McCain may have the advantage next fall on Iraq. Everybody wants to unload this mess, but few realistic answers. McCain at least makes sense when he says we have to see the process through. Iraq will be having Provincial elections next October, which may provide a shot of optimism about political reconciliation. Getting the regional governments functional and legitimate is important step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    using Grecian formula or something? Who's the woman he's with?
    that's his new girlfriend. i suppose u guessed that much. his breasts are real but the hair is fake.

The only way to deal with Iraq is to split it up 3 ways geographically, giving each main group a chance for autonomy...and brokering an oil agreement to split the proceeds of everything produced and sold from Iraq between the groups in a way that promotes civility at least in a financial respect between the sects.

Forcing Iraq to have a centralized government representing all three groups combined is a recipe for failure.
    My signature has NUDITY in it...whatcha gonna do?

You might be right, Leaper. But I'm not positive. The tensions are not so much between the three main ethnic groups (as we saw recently), it's more of a mass clusterfuck.

The Provincial elections next fall are a step in the right direction.

Leaper, the three part thing, i.e. Joe Biden's plan is unrealistic. There is just too much geographic overlap of ethnicities. Baghdad alone would be block by block in some parts. You'd end up with ethnic cleansing like in Yugoslavia only worse.

Actually, the whole "mess" as it is characterized by detractors, really isn't that bad. The whole problem of stabilization/nation-building/harmony among the groups would NOT have been significant and would have long since been solved for the overall good of all Iraqis if not for one factor: the outside force of al Qaeda deciding to prioritize screwing up of Iraq--bombing mosques, killing a bunch of civilians, etc., stirring up ethnic hatred that was always there, but NOT a serious active problem. You can pinpoint the start of the whole "mess" to the bombing of that shrine in Najaf, I think it was.

In sending in outsiders to instigate trouble in Iraq, however, al Qaeda had to de-emphasize committing terrorist acts against American--which, thanks to the Patriot Act and other Bush security measures, had become a "harder target".

People whine about the "mess" in Iraq, how it has cost us 4,000 troops, how it has cost us hundreds of millions of dollars, etc. Well, even one repeat of 9/11 or worse would have cost us near that or more than that, both in money and human cost.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker
    Actually, the whole "mess" as it is characterized by detractors, really isn't that bad..
    3 million people have left the country, very few have been able to come back.

the outside force of al Qaeda deciding to prioritize screwing up of Iraq--bombing mosques, killing a bunch of civilians, etc.
    outside force? estimates are that less than a thousand foreign fighters remain in Iraq. We've been fighting a native insurgency, that's 90% of the story.

You seem to shape reality to fit your ideology. Although I do generally agree that we have to keep a lid on Iraq and see it through.

People whine about the "mess" in Iraq, how it has cost us 4,000 troops, how it has cost us hundreds of millions of dollars, etc. Well, even one repeat of 9/11 or worse would have cost us near that or more than that, both in money and human cost.
    there is ZERO evidence that the Iraq War has been anything but harmful in our struggle with terrorism. I do agree it is criticial that this FIASCO end on decent terms. In that sense, yes, it is critical.

And I hope that Iraq can someday serve as a succesful influence on other countries in the region. I'm still on that rickety neocon bus.

Actually, that's hundreds of billions of dollars. But with this administration, who's counting?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Actually, that's hundreds of billions of dollars. But with this administration, who's counting?
    Stop your whining. The whole thing will be paid with Iraqi oil.

The huffingtonpost.com to me is the flagship of the demogogueing left of the Democratic Party. Maybe this year is their season. I'm sad that they are driving moderates out of the party with their relentless hate and name calling. But enough about my sorrow.
    Actually, Huffington Post is the moderate wing of the left wing blogosphere. Have you read Daily Kos?

there is nothing moderate about the Huffington Post.

They are a Daily Kos for grownups, the same politics of demonization without swear words. They are about like Air America.

I saw Ariana Huffington on a panel group discussing election returns on Charlie Rose. She essentially stopped the show. All the other guests were attempting to place the returns in context, like real journalists. Huffington went on an angry tirade, claiming BArack OBama was still king of the hill. (It must have been Super Tuesday when Clinton did well.) Charlie Rose's jaw dropped, and they didn't allow her to speak again.

I think she is smart, but she is suffering from Obama fever, something like dengue fever only the hallucinations last longer. She's become a raging extremist, like Nancy Pelosi when she's alone in her car.

I'm beginning to think Tex may be correct that the Republicans will successfully portray Obama as an extreme liberal. I have no idea if it is true, as I have little feel for OBama. But his supporters are gripped with an extreme confidence and ideological rightousness that doesn't sell well.

Joe Lieberman had some interesting quotes yesterdays. He feels that the Dems have swung to the left and are driving him out of the party. (He must be reading the Huffington Post) :

"[The Dem Party] has been taken over by a group on the party left that is protectionist, isolationist and hyperpartisian. It's a strange turn in the road when I find that among the candidates this year, the one closest to the Kennedy legacy is John McCain."

I must be a Lieberman Democrat.

The Dems are driving Leiberman out of the party? I'd say he left the party when he ran against the Democratic nominee in the general election for Senate in 2006. Now he's traveling with McCain wherever he goes. He's not a Democrat. Nothing wrong with that, but I think he ought to be honest about where he is politically.

By the way, the Huffington Post isn't just about Huffington. I rarely read her stuff.

Texas,

The U.S. has spent almost $500 billion(that's with a "B" not an "M") dollars thus far in Iraq. Most of that money has been borrowed from countries like China and Saudi Arabia. Two leading economists estimate we will pay $3 Trillion(that is with a "T") dollars before the war is over when you factor in interest on the borrowed money, care for injured soldiers, replacement of used military equipment, etc.

The Iraq War has not prevented another 9/11. The President's own bipartisan 9/11 Commission reported that Iraq had nothing to do with the 9/11 tragedy. Of those 19 terrorists on the 4 hijacked planes, none of them were from Iraq! Fifteen of them were from Saudi Arabia. We wouldn't dream of holding Saudi Arabia responsible for that attack because they are the United States' importer of foreign oil.

The bipartisan 9/11 Commission also reported that Saddam Hussain was not affiliated with al-Qaida in any fashion nor were there any al-Qaida terrorists in Iraq at the time of the US invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan

Texas,

The U.S. has spent almost $500 billion(that's with a "B" not an "M") dollars thus far in Iraq. Most of that money has been borrowed from countries like China and Saudi Arabia. Two leading economists estimate we will pay $3 Trillion(that is with a "T") dollars before the war is over when you factor in interest on the borrowed money, care for injured soldiers, replacement of used military equipment, etc.

The Iraq War has not prevented another 9/11. The President's own bipartisan 9/11 Commission reported that Iraq had nothing to do with the 9/11 tragedy. Of those 19 terrorists on the 4 hijacked planes, none of them were from Iraq! Fifteen of them were from Saudi Arabia. We wouldn't dream of holding Saudi Arabia responsible for that attack because they are the United States' importer of foreign oil.

The bipartisan 9/11 Commission also reported that Saddam Hussain was not affiliated with al-Qaida in any fashion nor were there any al-Qaida terrorists in Iraq at the time of the US invasion.
    Trying to discuss this with Tex is the definition of pissing into the wind.

You guys can spin it any way you try to spin it, but the indisputable fact is that there have been no repeats of 9/11 or worse on Bush's watch.

That can be attributed to two factors: enhanced security AND occupying the terrorist enemy--by THEIR choice to prioritize messing up Iraq. Or are you guys going to claim it was all luck or something?

As for the idea that there are less than a thousand al Qaeda outsiders remaining in Iraq, if that is so, then I'd say it is a sign that our troops are making real progress. It is indisputable, however, that the "domestic insurgency" or whatever it was somebody referred to, was instigated by al Qaeda blowing up mosques and barbarically murdering both Shi'ites and Sunnis to stir up latent ethnic hatred.

Yeah, as somebody corrected me on, it was hundreds of billions, not millions--but STILL well under the economic hit we took from 9/11--and presumably would again from a repeat. Most of that money was injected into the economy--salaries, equipment, contractors, etc., thus doing more good than harm anyway--in a Keynesian sense--as opposed to money simply and deleteriously taken OUT of the economy from 9/11.

As for characterizing Obama as an extreme liberal, talk about a slam dunk, the guy is about as extreme as it gets--generally acknowledged as the most liberal person in the Senate.

As for pissing into the wind, yeah, that's a fair assessment. And when your piss blows back in your face, what does that prove? Damn straight! It proves the wind was right and you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    sorry for interrupting the war, but thought you might want to take a break to see Paul McCartney's man boobs.

Is he using Grecian formula or something? Who's the woman he's with?
    It's Nancy Shevell. It seems he knew her through ties with Linda.

Hopefully he recovers from having that bitch Heather Mills as his "wife."
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    The Dems are driving Leiberman out of the party? I'd say he left the party when he ran against the Democratic nominee in the general election for Senate in 2006.
    The party rejected him in the primary. For an amateur who's only credential was he was against the war when he was in the Illinois State Senate. Or some such thing.

Lieberman has a rather liberal voting record, he's a Dem. He continues to attend the Dem meetings, in fact the Dems wouldn't have the majority in the Senate without him. But he is out of step on the IRaq war, so the left demonizes him as a rotten character.

Leaper, the three part thing, i.e. Joe Biden's plan is unrealistic. There is just too much geographic overlap of ethnicities. Baghdad alone would be block by block in some parts. You'd end up with ethnic cleansing like in Yugoslavia only worse.
    If you created the geographical boundaries, the different ethnic groups would migrate to those areas. If you give each group autonomy over their own affairs, you'll have far less trouble long term. There is already ethnic cleansing going on Tex...what the hell do you think the daily bombings are?

Actually, the whole "mess" as it is characterized by detractors, really isn't that bad.
    I'd love to see you go live over there for a year before you claim how great it is.

Iraq is a mess. The situation was handled poorly throughout by an inept administration. Sure, there are some positives emerging from the mess...but the negatives continue to outweigh the positives by a long shot.

That can be attributed to two factors: enhanced security AND occupying the terrorist enemy--by THEIR choice to prioritize messing up Iraq. Or are you guys going to claim it was all luck or something?
    It could've been done far cheaper and more effectively here at home...without occupying a foreign nation at a massive cost and bearing the brunt of world contempt.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    You guys can spin it any way you try to spin it, but the indisputable fact is that there have been no repeats of 9/11 or worse on Bush's watch.

As for the idea that there are less than a thousand al Qaeda outsiders remaining in Iraq, if that is so, then I'd say it is a sign that our troops are making real progress. It is indisputable, however, that the "domestic insurgency" or whatever it was somebody referred to, was instigated by al Qaeda blowing up mosques and barbarically murdering both Shi'ites and Sunnis to stir up latent ethnic hatred.

Yeah, as somebody corrected me on, it was hundreds of billions, not millions--but STILL well under the economic hit we took from 9/11--and presumably would again from a repeat. Most of that money was injected into the economy--salaries, equipment, contractors, etc., thus doing more good than harm anyway--in a Keynesian sense--as opposed to money simply and deleteriously taken OUT of the economy from 9/11.

As for characterizing Obama as an extreme liberal, talk about a slam dunk, the guy is about as extreme as it gets--generally acknowledged as the most liberal person in the Senate.

As for pissing into the wind, yeah, that's a fair assessment. And when your piss blows back in your face, what does that prove? Damn straight! It proves the wind was right and you were wrong.
    I feel that when posters on here try to have a debate with you, you refer to it as spin, even though they mostly back up their writing with facts. You remind me of my mother, she has rose colored glasses on when it comes to her beloved republic party along with her fearless leader in the White House.

No there has been no 9-11, thank God. If George Bush can take total responsibility for that then I guess he did his job. He could have done an even better job if he would have focused his attention 100% towards terrorist cells instead of fighting a war with Iraq and spent 500 billion on going after Bin Laden then he really would have secured this countries future. Iraq was a platform for him, unfortunately Americans have either bought into his speak that this was for the security of the nation and freedom for Iraqis, or still don't really understand the real truth of the agenda of Iraq, because my gas prices certainly haven't gone done in 5 years.