Thread: Clements

Clements

I thought about putting this in the who's gonna start at QB thread, but decided to start a new thread about it.

Does anybody have any insight or inside info as to whether Tom Clements is anything special as a QB Coach? Having two supposedly high potential rookies behind a young first year starter at QB sort of makes that a significant matter.

Specifically, was Clements mainly just a sounding board and companion for Brett Favre? Or is he known to be a technician and teacher who can fine tune the form of the youngsters and acclimate them to the NFL?

I'd like to think positive about this, but I know Clements had little or no NFL career of his own.

I also know that McCarthy had a rep for doing a good job with young QBs, but I doubt he will be able to devote much time to that relatively narrow aspect of head coaching.

Having these three, particularly the two rookies learn and develop side by side would seem to be a golden opportunity. If nothing else, we have two excellent pieces of future trade bait--assuming their potential is as good as advertized and there is a decent QB Coach to oversee things.

Blog Entries
    No "inside" info, but he has an accomplished professional playing and coaching resume, leading some otherwise no-name qb's to some impressive seasons. That says a lot. Here's his bio from the team website...

Tom Clements
    Quarterbacks

11th season as NFL coach
    Second season with Packers

Tom Clements, entering his 15th season in the coaching profession, is in his second year as Green Bay's quarterbacks coach.

Now in his 11th overall NFL season, Clements was named to his position Jan. 29, 2006, by Head Coach Mike McCarthy. Familiar with the role, Clements also served as quarterbacks coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers (2001-03), Kansas City Chiefs (2000) and New Orleans Saints (1997-99).

Last year, Clements' work with the Packers quarterbacks included helping Brett Favre reduce his interceptions from a career-high 29 the year before to just 18, continuing the development of 2005 first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers, and helping tutor rookie fifth-round choice Ingle Martin, who showed through practice and scout team reps that he was adjusting well to the speed of the pro game.

Before coming to Green Bay, Clements spent two seasons (2004-05) as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills. In 2004, the Bills' offense increased its points output by 152 and become only the ninth team in NFL history to score more than 30 points in six straight games. With the emergence of first-year starter Willis McGahee, the team also increased its rushing yardage by 210. In addition, Buffalo reduced its number of sacks allowed from 51 to 38, fewest by a Bills team since 1999. After an 0-4 start, the Bills became one of the hottest teams in the NFL, winning nine of their last 12 and contending for a Wild Card playoff spot until the final week of the season.

On an individual level, Clements' offense was highlighted by McGahee, who in 2005 posted a career-high 1,247 yards on 325 attempts and became the fifth running back in Bills history to register back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, covering each year of Clements' tenure. The previous season, McGahee finished with 1,128 yards and 13 touchdowns, eclipsing the 100-yard mark seven times. In addition, quarterback Kelly Holcomb set a club record in 2005 with a 67.39 completion percentage, surpassing Jim Kelly's 1991 mark, 64.14 percent.

Prior to joining the Bills, Clements served as Pittsburgh's quarterbacks coach for three seasons (2001-03) under Bill Cowher. In his second season with the Steelers, 2002, he helped Tommy Maddox earn the Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year award, as Pittsburgh's passing offense ranked seventh in the NFL, its highest finish since 1980 with Terry Bradshaw under center. In 2001, Clements worked with Kordell Stewart during the quarterback's best season, which culminated in his first Pro Bowl berth.

Before joining the Steelers, Clements coached quarterbacks for the Kansas City Chiefs (2000) under Gunther Cunningham. One of Clements' pupils, Elvis Grbac, turned in his best season and earned Pro Bowl honors.

Mike Ditka gave Clements his first NFL coaching job, hiring him to coach the Saints' quarterbacks. During his three years in New Orleans (1997-99), Clements worked with several quarterbacks, including Jake Delhomme and Kerry Collins.

Prior to his post with the Saints, Clements served under Lou Holtz as quarterbacks coach (1992-94) and wide receivers/assistant head coach (1995) at his alma mater, Notre Dame. While with the Fighting Irish, Clements coached eventual 1993 NFL Rookie of the Year Rick Mirer, and Derrick Mayes, the Packers' second-round draft pick in 1996. In addition, he tutored Ron Powlus, then Notre Dame's career passing leader in attempts, completions, yardage and touchdowns at the time of his graduation.

Inducted into the Canadian Football League's Hall of Fame in 1994, Clements played for Ottawa (1975-78), Saskatchewan/Hamilton (1979), Hamilton (1981-82) and Winnipeg (1983-87) during a 12-year career in the CFL. Selected seven times as a divisional All-Star, Clements guided two teams, Ottawa (1976) and Winnipeg (1984), to Grey Cup Championships, earning the Outstanding Offensive Player award in each game. The league's Rookie of the Year in 1975 and Most Valuable Player in 1987, Clements completed 2,807 of 4,657 CFL passes (60.3 percent) for 39,041 yards and 252 touchdowns.

Clements also spent one season, 1980, as a quarterback for Marv Levy's Kansas City Chiefs.

A three-year starter at Notre Dame (1972-74) under Ara Parseghian, Clements led the Irish to a 29-5 record, including an unblemished National Championship season in 1973. An All-American in 1974, he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy balloting when Archie Griffin earned the award. Clements received his degree in economics from Notre Dame in 1975.

A licensed attorney, Clements worked from 1988-92 for Bell, Boyd & Lloyd, a Chicago-based law firm, and in 1996 worked in the law department of Republic Industries, Inc., a public company controlled by Miami Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga. He pursued his law degree during his CFL playing career, graduating magna cum laude from Notre Dame's School of Law in 1986. In 1994, while on the Notre Dame coaching staff, Clements was an Adjunct Associate Professor of Law at the university's law school, where he taught "Sports and the Law."

Born in McKees Rocks, Pa., Clements and his wife, Kathe, live in Green Bay. The couple has two grown children: daughter, Stevie (28), and son, Tom (25).

CLEMENTS AT A GLANCE
    Joined Packers Jan. 29, 2006.
    Possesses 14 years of coaching experience, including two seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator.
    Prior to Green Bay, spent 10 seasons coaching quarterbacks under some of the game's best coaches, including Bill Cowher, Mike Ditka and Lou Holtz.
    Played 12 years in the Canadian Football League and was a seven-time divisional all-star and two-time Grey Cup champion; was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame in 1994.
    An All-American at Notre Dame in 1974, he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy balloting that year.
    Practiced law for five years before beginning coaching career.
    COACHING BACKGROUND:

1992-94 Notre Dame Quarterbacks
    1995 Notre Dame Wide Receivers/Assistant Head Coach
    1997-99 New Orelans Saints Quarterbacks
    2000 Kansas City Chiefs Quarterbacks
    2001-03 Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterbacks
    2004-05 Buffalo Bills Offensive Coordinator
    2006-07 Green Bay Packers Quarterbacks

OK. That sounds promising. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    he's thought of as a brilliant offensive mind; as our QB coach he's probably overqualified. Which is a good thing.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    he's thought of as a brilliant offensive mind; as our QB coach he's probably overqualified. Which is a good thing.
    If only we could find his counterpoint on D...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Considering what he got out of Holcomb, Maddox, Grbac, Mirer, and Pawlus, I'm guessing he's pretty good. Agree on the comment re: the D, especially w/ thinking of the secondary.

Blog Entries
    Clements record is pretty good. I think the big thing we've got going for us is MM's stellar record in working with & developing young QB's. I know TC is the QB coach, but it sure helps when the big coach is one of the best QB developers ihn the league.

I still think Mac's work with Aaron Brooks is one of the best jobs of a coach molding a young guy into ba solid NFL QB. After he left coach Mac, Brooks spun off the charts into obscurity

I still hope they get as vet back-up, let Brohm have a year as the emergency guy and let Flynn work on the PS. Having Clements have to prepare two kids to be ready for league games is an almost impossible task, IMHO.

So when he retires, I think we need him in the Packers hof.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

I think they should put some of the Rats posting back in '08 in the HOF too.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Why this now? I was afraid he died or something when I saw the thread.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Upnorth, hailing from the British Kingdom of Canada, is giving a shout out to Clements and his CFL background.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think they should put some of the Rats posting back in '08 in the HOF too.
    Plenty of posters wanted to trade Butte and start Brohm. Not I. I saw the greatness in Butte before y’all did.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    If only we could find his counterpoint on D...
    Ziggy with a question that sadly withstands the test of time.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The bump is because of how well love is playing. Clements resurrected all pro Favre (he was already going to hof) developed hof rodgers and now has love on a great path

Dude needs props.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

I agree, Clements has been excellent in his role, probably why Rodgers pushed to bring him back. He probably deserves some credit for the goodness of Love.

He also worked with Kyler Murray in 19 & 20 as OC and QB Coach. He is an excellent coach.

Was he back when Rodgers reversed course and won back to back MVPs?? We drafted Love because Rodgers was on a mini spiral. He then won back to back MVPs. If that correlates to Clements return, simply wow.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

As I recall, GM Rodgers specially requested Clements.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Was he back when Rodgers reversed course and won back to back MVPs?? We drafted Love because Rodgers was on a mini spiral. He then won back to back MVPs. If that correlates to Clements return, simply wow.
    Getsy was QB coach in 2019-21. Clements was brought back in 2022 when Bears hired Getsy as OC.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen