Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: All anyone needs to know in November

To bad Andrew Sullivan isn't a liberal. Kinda makes you look foolish, but, i guess you are use to that.

Guess those libertarian conservatives and liberals are easy to confuse.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    To bad Andrew Sullivan isn't a liberal. Kinda makes you look foolish, but, i guess you are use to that.

He doesn't have to be liberal to be expose the flawed shallow thinking of tongue wagging moveon.org tools like you.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand

He doesn't have to be liberal to be expose the flawed shallow thinking of tongue wagging moveon.org tools like you.
    So, you are saying that Sullivan is shallow thinking? Of course you do...those oxford scholars/phd guys from Harvard are idiots.

Especially conservatives that wrote their thesis on one of the most influential and intellectual conservatives of the 20th century.

Yep, i'm sure he can't hold a candle to you or rand.

Re: All anyone needs to know in November

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    I could give two flying shits about what the "free world" wants for MY president. WE have to live with his policies and the damage he can do to this country. WE have to overcome his overbearing tax policy. WE have to strive to overcome his nanny state politics.
    You have perfectly described the paradox we are confronted with!

Whilst the President of The United States of America is a man/woman that must suit the brief of solving USA issues, he/she also is MY WORLD LEADER.

So, this person leading me doesn't really give a toss if I get torched in my bed by terrorists, as long as it isn't in the USA. That would be bad for his/her image.

I was/am all for the Iraqi effort - Australians are dying in Iraq, too.

The paradox is, you vote for him/her, because of your private concerns, but you expect him/her to lead me, despite my private concerns.

All I am asking is that you choose wisely.

Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

So, you are saying that Sullivan is shallow thinking? Of course you do...those oxford scholars/phd guys from Harvard are idiots.

Especially conservatives that wrote their thesis on one of the most influential and intellectual conservatives of the 20th century.

So, is it the Ph.D? Or the Ivy League school? Or maybe the combination…..what is it that gives him the intellectual heft to garner your respect?

Or am I missing some Otown nuance? Sometimes I need things spelled out.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    I could give two flying shits about what the "free world" wants for MY president. WE have to live with his policies and the damage he can do to this country. WE have to overcome his overbearing tax policy. WE have to strive to overcome his nanny state politics.

Whilst the President of The United States of America is a man/woman that must suit the brief of solving USA issues, he/she also is MY WORLD LEADER.

So, this person leading me doesn't really give a toss if I get torched in my bed by terrorists, as long as it isn't in the USA. That would be bad for his/her image.

The paradox is, you vote for him/her, because of your private concerns, but you expect him/her to lead me, despite my private concerns.

Who says Bush doesn't care about you--either as an Aussie or as a European "getting torched" by terrorists. I'm here to tell you that he has done more to prevent that than probably any individual in the world, and EXTREMELY much more than Kerry would have done or Obama would do.

BTW, Tarlam, did I miss you response to my post suggesting that most of Europe is coming around to supporting both America in general and Bush in particular--electing Sarkozy and Merkel, etc.? Or did you not respond?

I hear you tarlam, but unfortunately most of europe doens't get it. Iran can NOT have a nuclear weapon. THAT is what is in europes best interest and if they are too thick to get that then we will have to elect someone they don't like for their own good.

Imagine Iran dropping a nuke on israel because allah told them to. They don't really care about retaliation, they can't wait to die as martyrs. What amount of leadership can overcome that kind of result? I choose unpopular but no nuke on israel....call me nutty.

The first thing that the "free world" has to understand is that we are in iraq and afghan because of nuclear weapons, period. We don't give a flip about anything else that goes on in that god forsaken desert. We might say so, but nuclear weaponry is the ONLY reason we are there. And keeping nukes out of zealots hands is good for the "free world" as well as america.

I'll say one thing, bush is not very good at selling things. He is being to political about the whole thing. If RR were president it would all be spelled out and people would understand it. Bush doesn't have faith in americans to understand exactly what is going on so he doesn't explain it. I think that is a mistake, but hey, I take the good with the bad. I hope he is right and history will judge this all correctly.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Don't you get it? I'm saying YOUR thinking is shallow. I've heard Sullivan interviewed at length. He is a mental giant compared to you. The point is that you're just a tool for the likes of Moveon.org, because your drivel sounds like the standard post of the typical non-thinking parrot that posts leftist talking points there, or like a typical Katrina vanden Heuvel screed in the Nation. In other words, you're completely unoriginal. The irony of you dismissal of Rand is that while you denigrate her, you continually commit the same basic mistakes she outlines in her simplified metaphysics and epistemology - you constantly use floating abstractions and stolen concepts. These are not difficult or new ideas - Rand borrowed them and freshened them up from Aristotle and Spinoza. If you think Rand is a midget thinker, but then commit the basic cognitive flaws even she understands from the greats, where does that leave you?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker
    BTW, Tarlam, did I miss you response to my post suggesting that most of Europe is coming around to supporting both America in general and Bush in particular--electing Sarkozy and Merkel, etc.? Or did you not respond?
    You missed it Tex. I agreed with you.

And in response to what Mr. Bush has done to protect me from terrorism, I only partly agree. Reagon did more to keep me from being torched IMHO.

My problem with Mr. Bush is probably a style problem. I love Condie Rice - now that woman rocks! And, no need to point out that Mr.Bush reruited her.

Too bad she's not running. You could have a first non caucasion and female all at the same time.

And, she is really excellent with foreign governments, from what I have picked up.

Iran can NOT have a nuclear weapon. THAT is what is in europes best interest and if they are too thick to get that then we will have to elect someone they don't like for their own good.
    Europe most certainly gets this and under Chancellor Merkel of Germany, the Free World delegation to protest Iran's plans has been spearheaded. The diplomatic contribution by the USA has been enormous, but please, don't discount what Merkel has done.

And the Israeli problem is one caused to a large degree by the Israelis. I don't know if you ever saw footage of the 1945 creation of the state and the subsequent take over from the Palestinians. The Israelis are very brutal people. I only saw film myself a few years ago. Germany is very pro-Israeli, trying to make up for killing 6 million in WWII, even to this day. So there is hardly anything anti-Israeli here.

I have visited the area extensively on business in my past years. I saved up going to Israel last on one such journey, because I wanted to "reward" myself. I was a huge fan of Wilbur Smith and many of his novels romanticize Israel and its people. I was shocked when I got there and spent time there.

To me, the Arabs are a far warmer, more giving host than what I met with in Israel. Exactly the opposite of what I expected. Having met with both peoples on the ground, it is easy for me to understand why the want to kill eachother.

The good news is, I think a majority in the Middle East are becoming fed up with the bloodshed and genuinely want peace.

Iran can NOT have a nuclear weapon. THAT is what is in europes best interest and if they are too thick to get that then we will have to elect someone they don't like for their own good.
    Europe most certainly gets this and under Chancellor Merkel of Germany, the Free World delegation to protest Iran's plans has been spearheaded. The diplomatic contribution by the USA has been enormous, but please, don't discount what Merkel has done.

And the Israeli problem is one caused to a large degree by the Israelis. I don't know if you ever saw footage of the 1945 creation of the state and the subsequent take over from the Palestinians. The Israelis are very brutal people. I only saw film myself a few years ago. Germany is very pro-Israeli, trying to make up for killing 6 million in WWII, even to this day. So there is hardly anything anti-Israeli here.

I have visited the area extensively on business in my past years. I saved up going to Israel last on one such journey, because I wanted to "reward" myself. I was a huge fan of Wilbur Smith and many of his novels romanticize Israel and its people. I was shocked when I got there and spent time there.

To me, the Arabs are a far warmer, more giving host than what I met with in Israel. Exactly the opposite of what I expected. Having met with both peoples on the ground, it is easy for me to understand why the want to kill eachother.

The good news is, I think a majority in the Middle East are becoming fed up with the bloodshed and genuinely want peace.
    I don't discount it at all tar, and I think germany after a slow start has been a huge ally in all this. Sarkozy also has really helped smooth relations. Europe is moving in the right direction, no doubt, but some of the radical left of the EU is still huffing and puffing and hating bush. Again, I'm no fan of the GW version of bush, he botched the midgame big time and has made mistakes, but obama talks of pretty much respecting irans right to a nuclear weapon...that is sweet sentiment in a utopia, unfortunately, just like the shoot 'em up thread, sometimes you don't get the benefit of a perfect world.

I think you are on the right track in what you desire, and no doubt europe is moving in the right direction, but electing obama is a serious problem that I hope only sets us back 4 years. I do think when he gets in office he will realize his errors, it would be hard not to. If not, I think we will live in strange times indeed.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Don't you get it? I'm saying YOUR thinking is shallow. I've heard Sullivan interviewed at length. He is a mental giant compared to you. The point is that you're just a tool for the likes of Moveon.org, because your drivel sounds like the standard post of the typical non-thinking parrot that posts leftist talking points there, or like a typical Katrina vanden Heuvel screed in the Nation. In other words, you're completely unoriginal. The irony of you dismissal of Rand is that while you denigrate her, you continually commit the same basic mistakes she outlines in her simplified metaphysics and epistemology - you constantly use floating abstractions and stolen concepts. These are not difficult or new ideas - Rand borrowed them and freshened them up from Aristotle and Spinoza. If you think Rand is a midget thinker, but then commit the basic cognitive flaws even she understands from the greats, where does that leave you?
    No, the mental midget is you...since i essentially was listing his rebranding remarks..they came from HIM. Not moveon.

Ooops. Perhaps you'd be better off emailing him and explaining why he is a dope.

P.S. I'll leave you with this little quote from a conservative..about your FUCKING MORAL EQUIVALENCY argument..so tired.

"There are different kinds of truths for different kinds of people. There are truths appropriate for children; truths that are appropriate for students; truths that are appropriate for educated adults; and truths that are appropriate for highly educated adults, and the notion that there should be one set of truths available to everyone is a modern democratic fallacy. It doesn't work."

Your truth is that of a child. I'll let you in on the highly educated adult truths someday.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark

So, is it the Ph.D? Or the Ivy League school? Or maybe the combination…..what is it that gives him the intellectual heft to garner your respect?

Or am I missing some Otown nuance? Sometimes I need things spelled out.
    His education, his professional positions, his writing, etc. No different than the respect i would show for uncle miltie, newt, kristol (if i want to read something interesting...irving not willy)etc...i don't to agree with them to respect them.

The vast majority of people in the middle east and the world want what should be their birthright. Freedom. That's it....they don't want to kill us. The problem is we still support (directly or indirectly) far to many foreign governments that continue to oppress their citizens.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out

The vast majority of people in the middle east and the world want what should be their birthright. Freedom. That's it....they don't want to kill us. The problem is we still support (directly or indirectly) far to many foreign governments that continue to oppress their citizens.
    Interesting and true. So, you want want anybody burned on this specifically? You want Jews or Arabs torched? Or Afghanis? Iranians?

Freak, I'm not so sure that's true. On the surface you'd like to believe it, however, in reality that's not what we're experiencing.

In the Middle East, I'm not sure they "want" freedom. What they "want" is land. The land that God gave the israelites, that the arab's believe is theirs. I think this "want" trumps the want for freedom.

Freedom, if it's important, (I think)is secondary. I recognize that the Bible has little weight with you, and that's fine, I don't want a religious discussion with anybody, but, according to that Bible, this war over the promised land will never end... I think we need to keep trying, but, ultimately I don't believe we'll succeed in stopping wars in the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy

Freak, I'm not so sure that's true. On the surface you'd like to believe it, however, in reality that's not what we're experiencing.

In the Middle East, I'm not sure they "want" freedom. What they "want" is land. The land that God gave the israelites, that the arab's believe is theirs. I think this "want" trumps the want for freedom.

Freedom, if it's important, (I think)is secondary. I recognize that the Bible has little weight with you, and that's fine, I don't want a religious discussion with anybody, but, according to that Bible, this war over the promised land will never end... I think we need to keep trying, but, ultimately I don't believe we'll succeed in stopping wars in the Middle East.
    You are missing the point. Most the arab countries citizens want freedom...do you think they like having ruling elites?

The state of israel is of little concern to those destitute, with little opportunity in most of the middle east.

I should clarify that I was not referring to the Arab-Israeli issue alone. There are many other examples in that part of the world. Some are close "Allies" of ours.

The Arab-Israeli issue is something else entirely and one that we could really get throwing some haymakers over if we put the effort into it.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy

You are missing the point. Most the arab countries citizens want freedom...do you think they like having ruling elites?

The state of israel is of little concern to those destitute, with little opportunity in most of the middle east.
    Bingo bango bongo.
    C.H.U.D.