Thread: Private versus Public: Your Opinion

Private versus Public: Your Opinion

The Houston Chronicle newspaper has posted every Houston and Harris County public employee's salary online complete with sortable database.

What do you think about this? Where does the public's right to know end and the individual's right to privacy begin?

I think compelling arguments can be made on both sides.

.................................................. .............................

Houston public employee salaries in 2007

• Click on the name for details, including base salary, bonus and car allowance.
    • Sort any column by clicking on the header.
    • See something in the database that we should investigate further? Let us know about it.

http://www.chron.com/databases/publi...Iorderby=TOTAL

If you want your salary info kept private, go work in the public sector. Otherwise, I'm your boss. And your boss always knows what you make.

Re: Private versus Public: Your Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon
    The Houston Chronicle newspaper has posted every Houston and Harris County public employee's salary online complete with sortable database.

What do you think about this? Where does the public's right to know end and the individual's right to privacy begin?

I think compelling arguments can be made on both sides.

.................................................. .............................

Houston public employee salaries in 2007

• Click on the name for details, including base salary, bonus and car allowance.
    • Sort any column by clicking on the header.
    • See something in the database that we should investigate further? Let us know about it.

http://www.chron.com/databases/publi...Iorderby=TOTAL
    If Houston and Harris county only have 250 employees i'd be very surprised.

When I worked at university, my information was available to anyone as part of the searchable on-line budget. I felt so violated.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

I'm all for the right of privacy, but these people are government employees--paid by the taxpayers. The right of those taxpayers to know what they make trumps that right of privacy.

While I agree that the public should have access to such information as how much city and county employees make I'm not sure that unfettered Internet access is really the way to go. Publish the figures and make them available in the county courthouse for anyone who wants to research it. Why should everyone on earth with an Internet connection need to know how much a certain official makes in Houston and Harris County, Texas?

As much concern as there is regarding one's personal info available on the Net this involuntary sharing of how much Joe Blow got paid last year would really bother me if I were Joe Blow and owed my brother-in-law some money.

Houston Chronicle's little dig, "See something in the database that we should investigate further? Let us know about it," betrays some of their motives for publishing the figures. They are more interested in finding a scandal and selling newspapers rather than serving any real public good.

I want honest, accountable government but putting personal financial info on the Net strikes me as a clumsy way of going about it.

If you are paid by the taxpayers, the taxpayers deserve easy access to find out what you are making. If you don't want your salary known, don't go into the public sector. It's that simple.
    My signature has NUDITY in it...whatcha gonna do?

Houston Chronicle's little dig, "See something in the database that we should investigate further? Let us know about it," betrays some of their motives for publishing the figures.

It's an effective deterrent.

Congratulations on your big election win Mrs. Mayor. Thinking about appointing your hairdresser into some $150K fluff position? Not if it's a certainty that everyone is going to find out about it.

And you should pay your brother in law back.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Houston Chronicle's little dig, "See something in the database that we should investigate further? Let us know about it," betrays some of their motives for publishing the figures.

Congratulations on your big election win Mrs. Mayor. Thinking about appointing your hairdresser into some $150K fluff position? Not if it's a certainty that everyone is going to find out about it.

Your example sounds like something from the Detroit city council.

Sunshine is the best disinfectant and I don't mind seeing corrupt public officials getting exposed but giving the Nigerian 419 scammers hard data to work with just rubs me the wrong way.

Whatever. I'm not from Houston and don't know anyone who is. I just know I wouldn't be a happy camper right now if I were a public official and would be busy putting out the names and incomes of the Houston Chronicle staffers in as many places as possible to let know what it's like.

I expect parking violations, etc. that might have been overlooked in the past will not be overlooked any more. That's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell

See Bobby Jindal and lousiana ethics reform. I can't recall the number of people who resigned right before his new disclosure reforms took place but it was an obscene number.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I expect parking violations, etc. that might have been overlooked in the past will not be overlooked any more. That's life.

It is life. Get caught acting like a total goofy moron by some stranger with a cell phone, and become a notorious youtube celebrity in a matter of hours. Technology is not always good.

The local rag posts teacher salaries and city employee salaries twice a year.

I couldn't care less if people see my salary, but the amusing thing is how these issues generate such interest among the locals.

And it's a really dirty kind of interest in a pedestrian kind of thing. Like teenage boys jostling to look through a gynecologist's keyhole while grandma gets her annual exam.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede
    Is it weirder to be at a Trekkie website blogging about Picard's Prime Directive violation in episode 127, or hanging out here arguing over the unretirement? Poking fun at Trekkies now would be like an Arcruvian plasma miner calling out a Cardassian veck merchant.

Thread jack.

This quote makes me want to modify Ziggy's law:

Nerds are nerds regardless of race, or nationality.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Like teenage boys jostling to look through a gynecologist's keyhole while grandma gets her annual exam.
    That's an image I didn't need in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Like teenage boys jostling to look through a gynecologist's keyhole while grandma gets her annual exam.
    That's an image I didn't need in my brain.
    Ditto.