Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft CEO sets benchmark as "Apple experience"

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    See the post on the closed system. Microsoft is going to be competing with open source where as Apple is not. Cost trimming and linux improvement will someday lead to linux workstations for your average office worker.
    This I don't buy. Linux workstations would be cheap, secure, and make a ton of sense for businesses that have enough IT to do self support on free software but It's a long shot that many corporations could make a huge shift like this. Not enough critical commercial software is cross platform. Even in the cases where all productivity software is usable under linux, most corporations are dependent on Outlook for much more than email. Linux is likely to always be more trouble than its worth. American business still runs quarter to quarter.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Cost trimming and linux improvement will someday lead to linux workstations for your average office worker.
    That's one of the dumbest thoughts you've had in some time. Not in theory, but in practicality. But really dumb regardless.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    See the post on the closed system. Microsoft is going to be competing with open source where as Apple is not. Cost trimming and linux improvement will someday lead to linux workstations for your average office worker.
    This I don't buy. Linux workstations would be cheap, secure, and make a ton of sense for businesses that have enough IT to do self support on free software but It's a long shot that many corporations could make a huge shift like this. Not enough critical commercial software is cross platform. Even in the cases where all productivity software is usable under linux, most corporations are dependent on Outlook for much more than email. Linux is likely to always be more trouble than its worth. American business still runs quarter to quarter.
    In the future it will be. OO is pretty much completely compatible with Microsoft Office. Eclipse is linux native. There are plenty of email clients that do the same things as Outlook or Lotus. Give it about 10 years.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Cost trimming and linux improvement will someday lead to linux workstations for your average office worker.
    That's one of the dumbest thoughts you've had in some time. Not in theory, but in practicality. But really dumb regardless.
    Why? Care to actually include some input on why its dumb?!? Have you actually used a recent linux distro? Ubuntu is far superior to Windows currently in security, ease of use, ease of installation, and ease of set-up for drivers, software, etc.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    If Apple isn't intersted in the battle they will never win the battle. And if they never win the battle they'll never be the power that Microsoft is, or even close to it.
    THEY DON'T WANT TO BE. YOU CANNOT BE THAT BIG AND HAVE GOOD QUALITY. THAT IS THE POINT. THEY MAKE OODLES AND OODLES OF CASH.

Good thing you're not a fanboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

In the future it will be. OO is pretty much completely compatible with Microsoft Office. Eclipse is linux native. There are plenty of email clients that do the same things as Outlook or Lotus. Give it about 10 years.
    Well anything can happen in 10 years. I think the strongest chance of this coming true is in cross platform software not linux programs to replace other programs. A company that already chooses to use software like eclipse, pro/e, Eagle, etc on Windows will be the ones that can potentially switch. Lotus notes is already cross platform too. Lotus notes is also a complete piece of shit. We use it at work and as much as we'd love to switch to Outlook we just can't because of all the collaborative software and custom shit that's been developed over the years. Its way more than an email client. To my knowledge there is nothing that can do what Outlook can do as well as Outlook can do it.

If Apple isn't intersted in the battle they will never win the battle. And if they never win the battle they'll never be the power that Microsoft is, or even close to it.
    THEY DON'T WANT TO BE. YOU CANNOT BE THAT BIG AND HAVE GOOD QUALITY. THAT IS THE POINT. THEY MAKE OODLES AND OODLES OF CASH.
    So Apple cares more about making good products than making more money?

Yeah. Sure.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

You guys crack me up. They are different companies with different mission statements. They aren't really competing. I like what apple is doing. They have a vision of the future and are working towards it....mainstream. Microsoft simply defines the present and dominates it. Nothing wrong with either model.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    You guys crack me up. They are different companies with different mission statements. They aren't really competing. I like what apple is doing. They have a vision of the future and are working towards it....mainstream. Microsoft simply defines the present and dominates it. Nothing wrong with either model.
    Have you not seen the anti Windows "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC." commercials? Pretty sure Apple is doing their best to compete with Microsoft.

They are growing extremely fast.
    In the business world? No. They still can't manage a 10% market share.

In the bedrooms of spoiled teenagers across the US? Yes. Apple has managed to make Macs hip, trendy, and cool. But they aren't going to win the battle against Microsoft in the bedrooms of teenagers.
    They are going EXTREMELY fast. What crack are you smoking? They're the fastest growing pc manufacturer and they are now #3. Apple has over 20 billion dollars cash on hand. How many other companies can claim that? It's just the beginning for Apple, too.

They're not interested in that battle. You people just don't get it. If they were interested in selling a billion systems like Microsoft and having to support a million different configurations, they'd sell the OS stand alone at a significantly decreased markup.

Apple is intersted in selling machines at a steady growth rate at 25% profit instead of being like dell and having a 1-2% profit.
    Of course they are the fastest growing..that is much easier to do when you are at the bottom.

Cash Reserves: I don't know, but MS has it and a year ago they had 40 billion. MS makes around 17 billion in profit every year. MS had 60 billion in the late 90s, moron...and it was UNWIELDY (you are either too stupid or uninformed to remember that the SEC was after them for hoarding their money)..they gave one time dividend payout of $32 Billion to its shareholders. LOL

And, you fucking dope..cash reserves arent' necessarily a good thing.

Yep, i bet you would rather have your 20 billion in a passbook savings account rather than acquiring new companies or investing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Microsoft has been stealing good ideas from Apple since the dawn of the PC. Snore.
    Um, Apple and MS stole from Xerox Parc.

Shutdown Rat All-Pro Charles Woodson's Avatar
    Release Steve Jobs, cock from your mouth and take a deep breath before you post here again.

This oodles and oodles of cash doesnt really matter if A. you cant do much with it. or B because it only had one third of what microsoft earned

? HOFer
    Well anything can happen in 10 years. I think the strongest chance of this coming true is in cross platform software not linux programs to replace other programs. A company that already chooses to use software like eclipse, pro/e, Eagle, etc on Windows will be the ones that can potentially switch. Lotus notes is already cross platform too. Lotus notes is also a complete piece of shit. We use it at work and as much as we'd love to switch to Outlook we just can't because of all the collaborative software and custom shit that's been developed over the years. Its way more than an email client. To my knowledge there is nothing that can do what Outlook can do as well as Outlook can do it.
    Oh believe me I know my company is hooked on Lotus as well. It sucks balls because I had to make an HTML email for our project that the CEO wants to work in Notes and it is impossible to make anything not look like ass.

We're switching September 1st to Outlook 2007, which is retarded because it has worse HTML support than Outlook 2004. Dumb dumb dumb.

Dude, Outlook is a piece of shit too. I wish more companies would use Google's Corporate suite, as it'd be cheaper than Outlook, and has much better calendars, mailing, document management, etc.

But, imo Thunderbird out "Outlooks" Outlook 2007 by a significant margin.

The big linux apps are cross platform.

? HOFer
    So Apple cares more about making good products than making more money?

Yeah. Sure.
    For having 3% market share yet making 25% of the profit of MS, that is pretty damn good. For one, growing too fast can be detrimental to business, profits, quality control, etc. Secondly, if they wanted to be the leader they'd sell their stuff cheaper. From Steve's mouth they are a hardware company first, and a software provider second. That fact alone shows that they're not in competition with Microsoft at all.

Based on stock growth and cash on hand, Apple has virtually nothing to worry about anytime soon. They're doing just fine and growing quite rapidly.

Do you think BWM or Maserati are competing with GM?!?!?

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    They are growing extremely fast.
    In the business world? No. They still can't manage a 10% market share.

In the bedrooms of spoiled teenagers across the US? Yes. Apple has managed to make Macs hip, trendy, and cool. But they aren't going to win the battle against Microsoft in the bedrooms of teenagers.
    They are going EXTREMELY fast. What crack are you smoking? They're the fastest growing pc manufacturer and they are now #3. Apple has over 20 billion dollars cash on hand. How many other companies can claim that? It's just the beginning for Apple, too.

They're not interested in that battle. You people just don't get it. If they were interested in selling a billion systems like Microsoft and having to support a million different configurations, they'd sell the OS stand alone at a significantly decreased markup.

Apple is intersted in selling machines at a steady growth rate at 25% profit instead of being like dell and having a 1-2% profit.
    Of course they are the fastest growing..that is much easier to do when you are at the bottom.

Cash Reserves: I don't know, but MS has it and a year ago they had 40 billion. MS makes around 17 billion in profit every year. MS had 60 billion in the late 90s, moron...and it was UNWIELDY (you are either too stupid or uninformed to remember that the SEC was after them for hoarding their money)..they gave one time dividend payout of $32 Billion to its shareholders. LOL

And, you fucking dope..cash reserves arent' necessarily a good thing.

Yep, i bet you would rather have your 20 billion in a passbook savings account rather than acquiring new companies or investing it.
    Naturally TY comes in and doesn't contribute anything to the debate.

They are stocking up cash for something. Who knows what? I sure don't. But, I am quite glad that they can afford to have 20 bil stashed under Steve's bed

At the bottom? Aren't they number 3 now?!? Considering they make 25-30% profit on every machine they sell that is pretty damn good... They're worth more than Dell and I believe HP as well, though I don't know that for sure.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Woodson
    Release Steve Jobs, cock from your mouth and take a deep breath before you post here again.

This oodles and oodles of cash doesnt really matter if A. you cant do much with it. or B because it only had one third of what microsoft earned
    Microsoft has about 40 bil on hand. Apple has probably 25 by now. That's quite a bit more than a third.

What is this contributing?!? Why bother? Read the thread. Apple isn't interested in competing with Microsoft.

Shutdown Rat All-Pro Charles Woodson's Avatar

Microsoft has about 40 bil on hand. Apple has probably 25 by now. That's quite a bit more than a third.

What is this contributing?!? Why bother? Read the thread. Apple isn't interested in competing with Microsoft.
    lol
    apples revenue is 24 billion,
    Microsoft's rev is 70 billion

? HOFer

lol
    apples revenue is 24 billion,
    Microsoft's rev is 70 billion
    Revenue != profit or value little dog. Again, what is the point of the comment? Who cares? Apple is a HARDWARE company. Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company. When as Microsoft ever sold a laptop or a desktop?!? Never.

In any case, the point is they want to close up their system so they have less support. That could potentially piss off a lot of manufacturers and gamers.

Apple is a HARDWARE company. Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company. When as Microsoft ever sold a laptop or a desktop?!? Never.
    Yet its always Apple zealots that feel the need to start comparing the 2 companies. You pretty much stole this quote from me in one of our previous discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.