Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fatties banned

If gov't is going to pay for healthcare obviously they have a right to control what you eat. I mean, should my tax dollars go to pay for someone who doesn't take care of their body? I personally think that with national healthcare we should also have a fat tax....If your BMI is too high you have to pay so much per point. It is the logical conclusion.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    I don't understand the offense here, people. It's not like your grandma was cooking with transfats to make your birthday cake taste good when you were little. They're caused by chemical additives in your food and they are horrible for you. Didn't you notice that as soon as they noticed how wretched the things were and started making companies put them on the nutrition labels that all the foodmakers started touting their removal? That's even without banning them, but the restaurants were still able to use them without telling you about it. I don't see a problem with making my restaurant use real food without chemical additives like the MSG that I'm overly sensitive to. Can't you just make the food with flavor from the get-go?
    That reminds me of a topic they were discussing on the ManCow show about a month or so ago. It was a farm family who always gave their kids whole milk, butter, beef, etc...basically everything they raised themselves on the farm. The kids were healthy, not overweight, etc.

Then the kids went off to school and once they started eating the school food, skim milk, low fat this and that, they started gaining considerable weight.

So, I agree with your post about MSG's and additives added to preserve food as a huge reason for obesity in children. I guess one can even go so far as to really wonder if it's some kind of government conspiracy. Because once you get sick or whatever, there is some kind of pill out there from those prescription drug companies that can be prescribed to you in an instant.
    This was my point way back in the vitamin thread. Eat whole natural foods as nature made them and you will be fine. I'm not even a big organic freak, but it doesn't hurt with soft skinned items or loose leaf items...things like bananas and oranges though....pointless.

Actually, I've always thought that the obese and morbidly obese should pay more for health coverage.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Actually, I've always thought that the obese and morbidly obese should pay more for health coverage.
    they do in the open market, try being a 5' 10" 300 pounder and buying a private plan....not gonna happen.

Here is a funny, little story for you regarding fat and insurance/coverage.

Ty was working at BCBS headquarters in Jax. Ty could not believe the # of morbidly obese working at an insurance company. Every meeting that had food had bad food for you...donuts, pastries...even the bagels came with the worst of the cream cheeses, etc.

Anyway, Ty would always wonder why they couldn't have something healthy...fruit, etc. Something that didn't contribute to people getting fat..and when you eat crappy food and sit around at your job..you are going to get fat.

Anyway, provided in coverage for most plans is gastric bypass..you know, the surgery to help you lose weight. And, it was available to BCBS employees as well.

But, so many had it..and so many regained the weight that BCBS had to cut that from their own coverage.

Irony at it's finest.

Transfats were not put into food to make them taste better. They were put in so that they could produce the food cheaper without losing flavor, considerations of your health be damned. Skin, have you not noticed that the foods which are suddenly trans fat free do not automatically double in price? Margarine comes to mind as the first obvious example. As soon as they said not to use it because it was full of trans fat, it suddenly became trans fat free and at the same price it was before.
    Isn't that pretty much the same thing? Retain the flavor without raising the cost? That sounds like a good idea to me.

It's like MSG, which the damned whiners and regulators have been complaining about too--it makes stuff last longer without going bad--at a reasonable price--so the troublemakers (notice I abstained from saying "leftist anti-American" troublemakers--want to ban it.

The price thing is NOT necessarily true either. My favorite Lay's potato chips went way up when they complied with the anti-trans-fat idiocy.

I'm not going to make a judgment whether it is merely do-gooder fools or whether it is people actually TRYING to make life less pleasant for good normal Americans, but the effect is the same.

Actually, I did have that wrong. The purpose of adding hydrogen to the oils was to give the product a longer shelf life. Doesn't actually affect flavor.

My problem with MSG is that they add it to food without telling you and I have a definite reaction to it.

And you'll pay for having them in there with increased healthcare payouts for uninsured and elderly because no one announces that they have them on the menu--and how long do we really need your restaurant food to keep anyway?

Trans fats occur naturally in small amounts in meat and dairy products. Most trans fats are created when vegetable oil is treated with hydrogen to create baked and fried goods with a longer shelf life.

Stephen Joseph, a Tiburon attorney who was a consultant to New York City in developing its ban, said trans fat is a larger health risk than saturated fat because it reduces so-called good cholesterol.

A 2006 review of trans fat studies by the New England Journal of Medicine concluded there was a strong connection between consumption of trans fats and heart disease. Studies also have linked trans fats to diabetes, obesity, infertility in women and some types of cancer.

Trans fats are like cigarettes, with no safe level of consumption, said Jeffrey Luther, a Long Beach doctor who is president of the California Academy of Family Physicians.
    http://wtop.com/?nid=106&sid=1447165
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

trans fats really are horrible medically, they're beyond the pale.

Pastry chefs love trans fats because they keep a nice texture in thier baked goods, especially something like a scone or croissant, for 3 or 4 days.

umm, as far as personal choice, the problem is that's its just too hard to know whether that muffin at the airport deli has transfats or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby

Pastry chefs love trans fats because they keep a nice texture in thier baked goods, especially something like a scone or croissant, for 3 or 4 days.

umm, as far as personal choice, the problem is that's its just too hard to know whether that muffin at the airport deli has transfats or not.
    No self respecting pasty chef would sell a scone or croissant that is 3 or 4 days old.

Bakers and huge corps like them. Your corner patisserie ain't using trans fats.

Well mine isn't. They're banned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns

No self respecting pasty chef would sell a scone or croissant that is 3 or 4 days old.

nah, they love trans fats. Without trans fats, the pastry starts changing texture in half a day, starts getting oily, mushy. Your corner patisserie is most definitely using trans fats if they can get away with it.

nah, they love trans fats. Without trans fats, the pastry starts changing texture in half a day, starts getting oily, mushy. Your corner patisserie is most definitely using trans fats if they can get away with it.
    BS. Bakeries, etc. have a hard time selling day old..they aren't keeping stuff 3 or 4 days. The whole point is to have it made fresh.

What they love is that they've been using recipes in it...but, they can do the same with other ingredients...shit, crisco isn't even made with crisco anymore.

trans are used for making crusts flaky, muffins moist, crackers crispy, etc.

The point, is that pastry chefs aren't using it...bakeries yes...pastry chefs no. No french trained pastry chef is using veggie oils over butter.

The point, is that pastry chefs aren't using it...bakeries yes...pastry chefs no. No french trained pastry chef is using veggie oils over butter.
    You might be right, I'm not 100% positive. I am relying on some interviews with pastry chefs in fancy restaraunts. That might be different from what happens in a shop.

But then again, maybe you are full of shit. I have to check this out.

Go eat an asparagus you commies.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

On the topic of fatties.....

“National survey data show that the prevalence of overweight and obese adults in the U.S. has increased steadily over the past three decades,” said Youfa Wang, MD, PhD, lead author of the study and a professor at Hopkins' Center for Human Nutrition. “If these trends continue, more than 86 percent of adults will be overweight or obese by 2030."
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    . “If these trends continue, more than 86 percent of adults will be overweight or obese by 2030."
    I think people will become more aware and reactive to childhood obesity, and there will be better technologies for fighting obesity before anything like that happens.

On the subject of fatties, Skinbasket ( a skinny, chain-smoking twit) opined that fatties are people lacking self respect. This got my blood boiling.

Fat people, or a lot of them, are simply hard-wired in their brains to eat more. It is an addiction that has been re-enforced over many years, maybe a whole lifetime.

Being fat is not a sign of weak character. For instance, famous fatty Winston Churchill had self-discipline of super-human proportions (details upon request).

I'm going to cut this lecture short, sorry to disappoint, but I grow weary. Let me just type a quote from William S. Borroughs, a writer who was addicted to heroin for much of his life, he was talking about how he stays off the junk:

"I don't have to use any willpower. Dr. Dent always said there is no such thing as willpower. You've got to reach a state of mind in which you don't want it or need it."

On the subject of fatties, Skinbasket ( a skinny, chain-smoking twit) opined that fatties are people lacking self respect. This got my blood boiling.

Fat people, or a lot of them, are simply hard-wired in their brains to eat more. It is an addiction that has been re-enforced over many years, maybe a whole lifetime.
    So they're also hard wired to eat food that makes them fat? Why aren't these "hard wired" people eating more vegetables, fruits, and tofu than your average person? Is part of this "addiction" an inability to exercise?

You'll also note that I didn't say all fat people lack self respect. Just those who want to blame someone else for them stuffing their fat fucking faces full of fat until they're on the brink of death. I'm sure other fat people also lack self respect, but I was addressing those mentioned above in particular.

I hope you feel better for exhausting your daily supply of righteous outrage, however misguided it may have been.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Plus, some people are genetically predispositioned to be alcoholics. Do you excuse them for killing themselves with liquor because they lack the will-power to avoid it?

I'm allergic to cats, you dont see me going out and buying a cat, yet I see tons and tons of people with cats. It seems completely acceptable to own a cat, yet I dont have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Plus, some people are genetically predispositioned to be alcoholics. Do you excuse them for killing themselves with liquor because they lack the will-power to avoid it?
    I don't think of it as excusing them. People are still responsibile for their destructive behavior. But I guess you could say I "excuse them" in the sense that I don't condemn them or look down on them.

And I really take issue with your "lack of will-power" comment. It is not will-power that gets people out of addictions. I have some experience with addiction. And I don't have the exact answer of how a person succeeds at overcoming addiction, but I know that the addiction will always, always trump will power alone.

Check out my quote from William S. Burroughs, I keep it taped to my computer monitor, it is a real truism. Additiction recovering requires a reprogramming of the brain. Yes, that is certainly going to take some will power, but it takes more. A new environment. Hypnotism. Drugs. Something to replace the old addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    I hope you feel better for exhausting your daily supply of righteous outrage, however misguided it may have been.
    Ya, I did get a little tired by my last sermon, but I woke up today fully refreshed and ready to go again. Hallelujiah!