Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Little things that get to you

Dunno, Mike, I don't need the stuff personally...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Dunno, Mike, I don't need the stuff personally...
    Me neither, but if you go to the convenience store, you're gonna see that stuff right by the check-out.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I agree it will eventually go away. I don't think in the next few years thats a concern, though. I'll always go where the highest rates are and keep contracting around milw and chicago unless somebody offers me some big bucks for a manager/director spot eventually.
    I can't wait until you hit the real world.
    You know, I sat down today and talked to a VP, a director and an architect today to get their opinion on this. All of which said the best way to get ahead is to contract around and stay up on the technology. That way, if you're good, you can be involved in the creation of apps, not just the maintenance portion of them. By being involved in the creation, not only do you see and experience the process from start to finish, but you gain valuable leadership. They all said the risk to reward easily pays off if you work hard and you're good, and if thats what you want.

With that said, those guys know their shit and are what I consider very successful. The one problem I see is they are routinely putting in 12-14 hour days during our sprint phases on development, and like 10 on a regular day at least.

I agree it will eventually go away. I don't think in the next few years thats a concern, though. I'll always go where the highest rates are and keep contracting around milw and chicago unless somebody offers me some big bucks for a manager/director spot eventually.
    You know, I sat down today and talked to a VP, a director and an architect today to get their opinion on this. All of which said the best way to get ahead is to contract around and stay up on the technology. That way, if you're good, you can be involved in the creation of apps, not just the maintenance portion of them. By being involved in the creation, not only do you see and experience the process from start to finish, but you gain valuable leadership. They all said the risk to reward easily pays off if you work hard and you're good, and if thats what you want.

With that said, those guys know their shit and are what I consider very successful. The one problem I see is they are routinely putting in 12-14 hour days during our sprint phases on development, and like 10 on a regular day at least.
    The downside to contracting is, your job can be gone for no reason. No need to fire a contractor, just ask them to not come back anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    The downside to contracting is, your job can be gone for no reason. No need to fire a contractor, just ask them to not come back anymore.
    Plus, if you interview poorly, you're fucked.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool

Precisely right, thats why you've got to be good so you can get another job. Also, you're typically compensated accordingly. Realistically, I could bill out at 40 an hour once I have my degree with my experience, but if I was salaried I'd probably get about 50k.

Certainly it has its ups and downs, but if you're good with saving money and planning accordingly, you can make some bank.

50k...but, you told us before you would be making 60.

Whatever you decide to do...there is no way you will go from contracting to manager or director. Those jobs are obtained by working for the company..and putting in time.