Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The O Line

The O Line

I've never had much good to say about the Packers O Line, and I've mostly tried to shut up about what I thought of them - and their lack of importance - in the many many games the Packers win.

The Packers generally have been - and absolutely should be - a pass first team, with the passing game setting up a relatively few change of pace runs. And mediocrity of the O Line - which IMO we have literally always had with or without Bakhtiari - doesn't do any real harm most of the time against most teams. If the pass blocking drops to worse than mediocre, though, as it did with damn Hanson at Guard and Newman at Tackle, then it can at times do harm. And the primary purpose of the O Line - IMO, opening holes for those change of pace runs, which shouldn't be that tough, just didn't get done in this game. Jenkins was so good at Guard in the run game, so what are they gonna do? Move him out to Tackle where he was mediocre like the rest of the line. Bakhtiari - the "Sacred Cow" to many in here - was never that good anyway. Nijman did as good in the run game and pass blocking as he did, or at least it seemed that way because we mostly ran inside and because Rodgers even in this game was good at avoiding the outside pass rush. But you put a real stinker like Hanson at Guard, and the pass rush is tough enough that even Rodgers can't beat it, especially without Adams to unload it to quick.

I see we brought Caleb Jones up to the 53. Hopefully he is an improvement over Newman at RT and Newman at least gets damned Hanson off the field ....... but somehow, I don't think they do that. We'll probably see too much of Hanson at G and Newman at T again. Runyan, according to what I heard, passed concussion protocol and could have come back in right there during the game. Why they held him out, who knows. If that's true, he would seem to be ready to play next week.

I still say what I've always said: the Packers O Line is mediocre, but that's all we really need. This last game, though, it dropped below the normal mediocre level.

The golden example of that mediocrity was that 4th and 1 goal line play. Just about any other team can line up, push 'em back a little bit, and get the yard. I knew damn well our line couldn't. Last year, they usually threw to Adams in that situation. They handed it to Dillon who slammed into the retreating butts of his linemen - predictably.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 09-13-2022 at 06:07 PM.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

When the Packers OL stinks, Rodgers stinks.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Not necessarily. The O Line IMO has never been better than mediocre in pass protection. They've had a few good games for run blocking. They've also stunk it up some games where Rodgers still brought home a win. I'd say Rodgers has never stunk if the standard is every other QB in the league, although he has stunk a few times compared to his usual self.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Not necessarily. The O Line IMO has never been better than mediocre in pass protection. They've had a few good games for run blocking. They've also stunk it up some games where Rodgers still brought home a win. I'd say Rodgers has never stunk if the standard is every other QB in the league, although he has stunk a few times compared to his usual self.
    E all know you think our oline is only average at best the last few seasons. That is opposite what every other analyst says. It is opposite what most here think.
    In the Vikings game you saw our line play poorly. And rodgers got happy feet and missed open receivers.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

The Vikings game this year, SF last year. Tampa the year before. When the OL isn’t right, Rodgers isn’t right.

The golden example of that mediocrity was that 4th and 1 goal line play. Just about any other team can line up, push 'em back a little bit, and get the yard. I knew damn well our line couldn't. Last year, they usually threw to Adams in that situation. They handed it to Dillon who slammed into the retreating butts of his linemen - predictably.
    Doesn't help that they lined up in a shotgun formation if I remember correctly on that play. I remember them doing that quite a few times last year on 4th and short and running it and getting nowhere. OR maybe I'm just remembering all the times it didn't work. Whatever. In a short yardage situation, with Dillon, regardless of the scrubs on the o-line, you should be able to at least get that 1 yard. Line up in an "I" formation and pound the damn rock. Who cares if the Defense knows you're running the ball - make them stop you.

I didn't read your post. Assume it said something like "this is all on Rodgers cuz he doesn't need OL and I never gave them a lick of credit."

Or

"I was wrong all along and Rodgers can't do it all himself."

Must be one of those 2.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    E all know you think our oline is only average at best the last few seasons. That is opposite what every other analyst says. It is opposite what most here think.
    In the Vikings game you saw our line play poorly. And rodgers got happy feet and missed open receivers.
    I would guess the difference is Tex sets the bar arbitrarily based on his opinion versus the analyst who are ranking relative to other teams.

Seems like the shitheads are banding together.

After last week's game especially, is anybody seriously gonna say our O Line ain't mediocre? And that being an obvious truth, if O Line is all that important as a position, HOW did we go 13-3 and 13-4 the past two seasons - and most of it without the ol' "sacred cow"?

Answers, any of ya'all?

Our OL has been mediocre since Bakh went down and got worse when Jenkins went down. The future looks bright, but right now they sure are mediocre.

The OL played poorly. They started Hanson at RG, Newman at RT, and eventually Tom at LG. Going in that was not a recipe for success against Hunter and Smith, and anyone thinking that was a better than mediocre line was being optimistic.
    If you get two of Runyan, Bahk and Jenkins back in the lineup that improves things considerably both with pass and run blocking.

They got to 13 wins the last two seasons because they had a talented roster, and because Rodgers played at MVP level with an OL that kept him upright most of the time. He also didn't have two rookies and a new FA in Watkins as major parts of the receiving group.
    Finally, they won by giving Jones/Dillon at least 25 touches per game (there's actually a stat about that one acmepacking posted).

On Sunday the OL didn't block well, they didn't call enough runs for Jones, and Rodgers played poorly (bad anticipation, his timing was off, he missed open receivers several times). They can fix some of those issues, and getting healthy on the OL would help.

They'll play better. Rodgers looked rusty and I think after they watch this film you'd hope a lot of lessons will be learned.

After last week's game especially, is anybody seriously gonna say our O Line ain't mediocre? And that being an obvious truth, if O Line is all that important as a position, HOW did we go 13-3 and 13-4 the past two seasons - and most of it without the ol' "sacred cow"?

Answers, any of ya'all?
    Rodger's played like shit last week, but I'm not judging him on that game alone.

If you think everyone else is a shithead, maybe it's you.

Typical. Dumbshits can't answer questions when asked.

Tex, are you sure the OLine performance qualifies as mediocre? I'd put them a step or two below that. Rodgers did them no favors, but they did Rodgers no favors either.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Looks like Bak is still limping. Not sure how PFF graded the Pack OL.

https://twitter.com/CodyWKrupp/statu...28072510259200

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Caleb Jones as a fullback or third tight end would flatten opposing linemen and bulldoze ultra-wide clearings for new construction neighborhoods to be built while AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones rack up historical yardage in his literal wake.

Remember Ahman Green and the U71 run package? Yeah. This would make that seem like your nephew's 8th grade flag football tournament played on the original N64.

Now imagine some combination of David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Caleb Jones, Yosh Nijman, Marcedes Lewis, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom literally paving the way to the Superbowl.

That's right. I said it.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKickass View Post
    Now imagine some combination of David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Caleb Jones, Yosh Nijman, Marcedes Lewis, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom literally paving the way to the Superbowl.

That's right. I said it.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Bakh is done. They are stuck paying a huge some of money they should have never agreed to. He will be gone by next season.

I’m sick and tired of the constant complaints about the Jordan Love draft pick. Bakh and his contract screwed this team over a lot more.
    Last edited by Teamcheez1; 09-16-2022 at 07:14 PM.

Answers, any of ya'all?
    Of course we will tex. I'll even say they were crap. But you are the one who has claimed endlessly that they have always been crap but rodgers made them look great. I can only assume you now think Rodgers has lost his edge and needs to retire

Typical. Dumbshits can't answer questions when asked.
    I'll answer it. It does not matter a bit if they played poorly because you have assured us all that its irrelevant. As such the only conclusion is that Rodgers played an absolutely piss poor game. Does that answer your question?