Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
The problem with trying to discern the truth of the situation from reading interviews by Favre is that he was caught in one inaccuracy after another throughout the ordeal. Throw in his classic exaggerations in front of the press during his entire career (every year the team was maybe the most talented he ever played on, etc.), and what Favre said about anything doesn't really convince me about the facts, although it can provide insight into his screwed up interpretations.

...and before anyone challenges me to "prove it", don't bother, because I have no desire to waste one second more of my time on this.

I closely followed the saga of Favre and his threatened retirements that started when he hit 30. I even predicted at the end of the 2007 season that he would in fact announce his retirement. Many of you thought I was crazy when I wrote that. Shortly after his retirement, I further stated that I would not be surprised if he later "unretired", but that he would never play another down for the Packers, regardless. Again, many said I was crazy, and that the Packers had to take him back because he was Brett Favre. I made those statements on this board (or whatever one it was that we all were on at that time).

With that as background, I feel comfortable in pontificating on the matter, but will document it only if I feel like it, not on request or demand. Believe me if want, or don't believe me, I really don't care.

By the end of 2007, Favre didn't want to be the QB of the Packers anymore than MM wanted him to be. Not a big deal. No one's fault, just the facts of the situation as I interpreted them.

I blame Mike Sherman for a lot of it. Sherman gave in to Favre time after time. Favre soon saw himself as bigger than the team, even though at heart he was a team player. In essence, he became drunk on the status he had attained. His impulsive personality was not well-suited for it. Throw in his preoccupation with his own desires, and it becomes even worse.

TT and MM were not tolerant of it, and slowly but surely began reining Favre in. They each grew tired of the other, but wanted to end it on their own termas. Favre thought he could play the fans in one final push to get his way, but it backfired and he learned that in fact the Packers had control if he still intended to play.
Outstanding post and take Patler.