Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I've often wondered how much they regret having announced it so soon after he retired the first time. I think it was probably done to "seal" the retirement, thinking the announcement of a date certain would nail the door shut on a possible reconsideration on his part. Of course, it didn't do that, and now it is an awkward commitment that will continually be asked about until it finally occurs.
    I will never understand their attempts to put the genie back in the bottle, though I am not certain if the jersey retirement was pre or post unretirement news. Even Thompson understood what might happen and kept a large (even for him) amount of cap space open in what had to be a backup plan for his unretirement.

It was very clear that after the March/May aborted comeback that they did not have a clear fall back plan. I wonder to what degree Thompson and McCarthy were served poorly by the Packer PR team and admin.

Just another remember that you should careful what you wish for because I used to wonder HOW the relationship between Marino and the Dolphins got so bad so quickly.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I will never understand their attempts to put the genie back in the bottle, though I am not certain if the jersey retirement was pre or post unretirement news. Even Thompson understood what might happen and kept a large (even for him) amount of cap space open in what had to be a backup plan for his unretirement.

It was very clear that after the March/May aborted comeback that they did not have a clear fall back plan. I wonder to what degree Thompson and McCarthy were served poorly by the Packer PR team and admin.

Just another remember that you should careful what you wish for because I used to wonder HOW the relationship between Marino and the Dolphins got so bad so quickly.
    If I remember correctly, Bob Harlan actually mentioned an intention to retire #4 at about the the time White's ceremony was held. He said the hope was that it would be used for many years yet, but retired when Favre was done with it. He talked about the offense/defense representation from championship eras.

Then, it was brought up again as soon as Favre announced his retirement, and the date for it was announced very soon thereafter, maybe even at the press conference.