Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
I've often wondered how much they regret having announced it so soon after he retired the first time. I think it was probably done to "seal" the retirement, thinking the announcement of a date certain would nail the door shut on a possible reconsideration on his part. Of course, it didn't do that, and now it is an awkward commitment that will continually be asked about until it finally occurs.
Yeah I have thought about that as well. The packers went through his will he/won’t he retire saga for so many years before and needed to know what direction they were going in the upcoming season with Rodgers on deck. Setting a date to retire his number so soon was probably the organizations way of trying to cement his decision.

Also, unfortunately the packers were kind of at his mercy and he knew that. He knew he could leverage his status and love fans had of him and I’m sure the packers knew this as well and were worried about the fall out that ensued. So the number retirement and future position with the team offer was probably a way of hoping to avoid a potential mess.