Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
I watched Jon Gruden and Brett do a show called QB Camp. I learned that Favre's reputation for "drawing stuff up in the dirt" doesn't convey his remarkable grasp of the game. He only adjusted plays in the huddle when he had seen a weakness or knew he could exploit a defender's tendencies. He taught his receivers to run short slants on every running play with an expectation that the ball would be coming if defenders grew tired of covering nothing and sold out on the faked handoff. For a guy that comes off as a bit slow, he has a savante-like memory for formations, routes, and play calls.

At this point, anyone still hating needs to just stop and go back to fully enjoying the Favre era.
There is no doubt he was twice as smart as he pretended to be for the press. I do think some of his bright ideas in that show were being time shifted backwards a little (I still remember a kid who refused to go to anyone other than Sharpe on a first read, then it was Brooks for a year) but he clearly mastered the position in that MVP era.

Wilde points out that Favre's speech was not written down, so he was doing it all from memory. And that memory is still pretty good.