Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    His numbers, when you look them up, aren't that great. From '76 - '85 he averaged usually around fifteen or so picks per season, not including two years - 1980 and '83 - when he threw 25 and 29 picks. And he actually averaged approximately the same number of TD's as picks.

But from '80 - '84 he threw for lots and lots of yards, and I think the game was different then, anyway. He had a completion rate in the mid-50's for lots of those years, which doesn't sound that great today, but I think D-backs were still doing a lot of grabbing and banging, and of course they had almost no concept of an "illegal hit."

I just loved the guy. He stood in the pocket even though he got hammered. He got sacked forty times in 1981 and again in 1983. Wow.

He couldn't move in the pocket, but in some ways he was like Brent Favre - he was a gunslinger on a team that needed that, cuz there weren't no defense to speak of for most of the years he played.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    His numbers, when you look them up, aren't that great. From '76 - '85 he averaged usually around fifteen or so picks per season, not including two years - 1980 and '83 - when he threw 25 and 29 picks. And he actually averaged approximately the same number of TD's as picks.

But from '80 - '84 he threw for lots and lots of yards, and I think the game was different then, anyway. He had a completion rate in the mid-50's for lots of those years, which doesn't sound that great today, but I think D-backs were still doing a lot of grabbing and banging, and of course they had almost no concept of an "illegal hit."

I just loved the guy. He stood in the pocket even though he got hammered. He got sacked forty times in 1981 and again in 1983. Wow.

He couldn't move in the pocket, but in some ways he was like Brent Favre - he was a gunslinger on a team that needed that, cuz there weren't no defense to speak of for most of the years he played.
    Yup, unfortunately for Lynn he had to practically do it all himself. We didn't have much of a running game and our defense was a sieve so he almost HAD to put it up on every snap just to keep the team in the game.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He had a completion rate in the mid-50's for lots of those years, which doesn't sound that great today, but I think D-backs were still doing a lot of grabbing and banging, and of course they had almost no concept of an "illegal hit."
    I think the lower completion rate was due to the fact that he didn't play the West Coast offense. Most of his throws were downfield. I think they had John Jefferson, James Lofton and Paul Coffman at the time. If Rodgers relied on his downfield completion percentage alone, it'd be the same for him.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I think the lower completion rate was due to the fact that he didn't play the West Coast offense. Most of his throws were downfield. I think they had John Jefferson, James Lofton and Paul Coffman at the time. If Rodgers relied on his downfield completion percentage alone, it'd be the same for him.
    I was thrilled when they traded for Jefferson. I still think that trio is one of the best in all of Packer history. Lofton was just a gazelle; he was beautiful to watch. Jefferson was not quite what he was in San Diego (I think that's where he was), but he was still awfully good. And Coffman - he had really good hands, and he knew how to get open.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack