Quote Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
PLEASE name names! Who exactly can be put in same category as Favre with regards to the resurrections? I know it sorta runs counter to my earlier intimation that the evolution of the game negates some players being labeled an all-time great, but how many HOF'ers did he play with by the way? BAFFLING that people want to ignore what Favre did for GB and the league in general.
I think there is slight difference between sustaining the Packers and a resurrection of the Packers. If you look at the pre 60s Packers one name that you have to look at that sustained the Packers through very tough financial times was George Halas. He loaned a good amount of money and made sure to keep the rivalry going.

Lombardi was also a character that could contribute to the resurrection of the Packers. He took a huge chance coming to Green Bay as he could have waited his turn to become the head coach of the Giants.

As far as players go, I struggle to find one name more important to the rebuilding of the franchise than Brett Favre. Maybe Reggie White who at the time was the best defensive player in the league leaving a big market for the small market Green Bay Packers. Sure 17 million had something to do with it, but I am sure the 49ers would have paid it, the Cowboys would have paid it.