Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
I've never been a big fan of the whole number retirement thing. To me, if done at all, it should be an extremely rare occurrence, reserved for individuals who show a commitment and dedication to the team that goes far beyond their athletic performance. It should be awarded to those who truly became Packers for life, and aided the organization beyond their performances on the field. I recognize that in today's "it's all about business" environment for pro sports it will be hard to develop that relationship, but so be it, in my opinion.

I went on record here as disagreeing with the retirement of #92.

Considering his venomous attack on the organization, his attempts to undermine the organization, his continued cold shoulder toward the organization and the exposure of the person he was while a player, I am no more interested in the retirement of #4 than I was #92.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...-for-the-bears

Mike Ditka's retired jersey will be the last for the Bears

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer ... May 26, 2013 11:49 am ET

" When the Bears last week announced they will retire the No. 89 jersey of Mike Ditka, it was a long time coming for the iconic coach and former tight end who dominated his position when he was in Chicago from 1961-66.

And for those great Bears players whose numbers haven't yet been retired, the wait for them to be honored in this fashion will be even longer. That's because the team has said it will not retire any other numbers.

Ditka is the 14th former Bears player to have his number retired. And unless the team is going to begin issuing triple-digit numbers, Chicago -- which has retired more than any other team in the league -- risks running out of numbers if it keeps plastering old-time jerseys on the wall and taking them out of stock.

But Ditka certainly is worthy to be honored in this way, and now he joins players like Walter Payton, Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers to have his number taken out of circulation.

"When you think of all the great Bears players who have had their jerseys retired, I can't say that there's any greater honor," Ditka said. ..."
Fr. LINK