Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
I already posted this on the other 'Favre hurt' thread.......

The 'raising' of Brett Favre is much like the raising of a child. Show me a kid who has been given everything, lacks for nothing, is the center of attention at every family function, has never been told 'NO'. And I'll show you a kid, who when given the chance, siblings, relatives, friends will dump on.

Now with Brett, he earned most of his accalades. Most of those records broken are his. But along the way, mostly in GB.........they made him into someone that was above the game, above the team. Maybe a 'NO', long time ago would have changed the course of things that came. Want a separate locker room, Brett? 'NO', Want to miss parts of early training? 'NO', The 'NO's' never came.
Just once, after a horrendous game had they benched him and played the backup, maybe he'd have gotten the idea that he was dispensable. Just maybe, if the GB organization hadn't made him the face of the Packers, he wouldn't have thought he was that face. Just maybe if the media hadn't done all those (too many) specials about him, long before he retired, he wouldn't have thought of himself as 'legend' before he became one.
Favre needs to retire, he needed to retire. It was good once. It's not anymore. It's painful. Anyone close to him, if they care, should be telling him that.
There is little doubt that Brett Favre was a one-of-a-kind player. I'm just not sure that that lasted 18 years.

This is one of the best summations of the whole topic that I've seen here.
Well done!