Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
Actually, there are quite a few in Packer history. Favre is just one of them. He is the most recent, so he seems more significant in comparison, but he isn't. Others were just as significant, but in their own time. This franchise was on the verge of descending into perpetual insignificance many times, until someone arrived who not just lifted them off the bottom, but pushed them to at or near the top.

Without the Packers of the '60s and the stadium expansions they fostered, the Packers might very well have been the Milwaukee Packers when Favre arrived on the scene (if in fact Harlan and Wolf had even been there before him) because they sure as heck wouldn't have stayed in the 32,000 seat City Stadium as it was originally built. Had the Packers of the '60s not been there when the NFL found its legs in the '60s, the Packers we know today might not even exist.
Nice history lesson..most people under 60 years old don't hold the 60s in as high a regard as we should (similar to viewing some MLB "stars" during segregation as frauds to an extent). Personally, I became a fan during Sterling Sharpe era and things took off with Lord Favre. I believe when a person is coming of age during a time the local organizations are moribund its a lot easier to gravitate towards certain players or teams< even rivals of the local teams lik me with Walter Payton, that stick out for specific reasons related to the zeitgeist. The landscape of the league was so vastly different that I don't think its fair to compare eras; not all players or coaches would transcend. So it is not necessarily "disrespectful" to illuminate game changers along an organization's timeline.

But I do agree that Wolf knew what he was "doing"

BTW, most Black folk in the greater Milwaukee County area were not Pack fans during 60s 70s 80s..if you all need me to discuss several reasons why, I will. Although I am pretty sure any evolved person would already know and understand the sentiments.