Page 26 of 563 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 526 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    did you see any malicous behavior from Favre and his supporters?

an attempt at vengeance? why, Favre himself owned-up to such motives.
    I won't argue this anymore. It's in the past and now just part of Packer history.

.....but just so you know, I'm right, and you are wrong!!! :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    did you see any malicous behavior from Favre and his supporters?

an attempt at vengeance? why, Favre himself owned-up to such motives.
    I won't argue this anymore. It's in the past and now just part of Packer history.

.....but just so you know, I'm right, and you are wrong!!! :P

Remember that wise advise I gave you a while back about these silly tassles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky

Remember that wise advise I gave you a while back about these silly tassles ?
    lol this is not a tassel. :P

...but no, I don't remember. <-- (I get that from you :P )

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacopete4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor
    See, I try to be polite in my posts and I get shit like this. Go fuck yourself dude.

I just need to ask... were u really offended by the picture she posted? I just wanna serious answer
    Not personally. I just don't think it is at all supportive of the Packers, I think it's extremely juvenile, and I think it's kinda taking an unfair shot at Aaron Rodgers whether it was intended to be or not. I don't have a problem with cheering when Brett does well. I do have a problem with people rubbing his success in the face of the Green Bay Packers.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Pacopete4
    See, I try to be polite in my posts and I get shit like this. Go fuck yourself dude.

I just need to ask... were u really offended by the picture she posted? I just wanna serious answer
    Not personally. I just don't think it is at all supportive of the Packers, I think it's extremely juvenile, and I think it's kinda taking an unfair shot at Aaron Rodgers whether it was intended to be or not. I don't have a problem with cheering when Brett does well. I do have a problem with people rubbing his success in the face of the Green Bay Packers.
    I don't want to get into any kind of debate...because it's all old and not worth rehashing. What happened divided the Packer nation....so to speak. There are Packer fans that turned their backs on Favre and some Packer fans that continue to support him.

Only thing I want to point out is something you wrote above..."I think it's kinda taking an unfair shot at Aaron Rodgers". I can understand you saying it's taking a shot at him, but I don't understand how you say it's unfair. What's unfair about it? It's a stat. Does this go back to the argument from TT and MM saying they already told AR he was the starter and it would be unfair to tell him differently after BF decided to play again? IMO, the people making a case to "tread lightly" concerning AR are not doing him any favors. AR is making a name for himself and he showed that last weekend. If you have faith in him, stop getting all pissed anytime someone speaks about Favre.

If you have faith in him, stop getting all pissed anytime someone speaks about Favre.
    This statement is right on, but needs to be said to everyone involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    If you have faith in him, stop getting all pissed anytime someone speaks about Favre.
    You are right. I shouldn't have written "you" as I didn't mean to single anyone out...meant it as a general statement.

There are Packer fans that turned their backs on Favre and some Packer fans that continue to support him.
    I'd word this slightly differently: There are Packer fans who turned their eyes away from Favre's outrageous behavior out of blind devotion, and those who saw things for what they were.

What complete bullshit. GBrulz posted a taunting picture needling Rodgers and Thompson, "nah nah nah, I'm Brett Favre and I threw more touchdowns in 3 hours than Rodgers will throw in a season."
    Its a joke, ok, fine, no big deal, but its also no big deal if somebody finds the taunt annoying.

Your accusation that somebody gets pissed "anytime someone speaks about Favre" is baloney.

I don't know. So people get a little pissed off. I think the main thing is not to take things too seriously in the long run. I don't actually dislike PacoPete or 007 or GBRulz simply because they are Favre-licking morons. I'm sure I annoy people a lot more than they annoy me.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Your accusation that somebody gets pissed "anytime someone speaks about Favre" is baloney.
    Given what I've seen on this forum, I'm guessing that it's pretty likely that anytime Favre is mentioned, somebody gets pissed.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

except you can read this thread and see that is not true.

In a lot of the other threads, people mention Favre specifically to be annoying. "If we only had Brett, we would have gotten that first down." I don't want to mention any names.

Senior Rat Veteran

I don't know. So people get a little pissed off. I think the main thing is not to take things too seriously in the long run. I don't actually dislike PacoPete or 007 or GBRulz simply because they are Favre-licking morons. I'm sure I annoy people a lot more than they annoy me.
    I last sentence was the most profound thing you have ever written in your 89 years of life.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Only thing I want to point out is something you wrote above..."I think it's kinda taking an unfair shot at Aaron Rodgers". I can understand you saying it's taking a shot at him, but I don't understand how you say it's unfair. What's unfair about it?
    It's unfair because Aaron Rodgers has done everything that could possibly be expected of him, yet is still getting mocked because he's not quite as good as one of the best to ever take the field. It's unfair because AR isn't being allowed to be AR - because people still expect him to be BF and mock him (or TT, or MM) when he isn't BF. Of course Brett is a better QB and he should be doing better than Rodgers. That's not what I have a problem with. I'd hope that much could just be assumed, and not need to be brought up every time Brett has a better game than Aaron does. The problem I have is when Brett's success as a Jet is used as a tool to mock TT or MM or AR or anyone else within the organization, specifically considering the fact that the transition from BF to AR is not what is ailing the Packers this season, and especially because most Packer fans and probably all Packers employees - including TT and MM and AR I'm sure - are all cheering for Brett to do well in New York.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Good article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/sp...0favre.html?hp

The Brett Favre Backup Club

They arrived in Green Bay a cast of characters, 18 men who played quarterback for the Packers during a 17-season stretch when few of them played at all.

Jim McMahon arrived as a Super Bowl champion, Ty Detmer as a Heisman Trophy winner. Rick Mirer was a first-round disappointment, Matt Hasselbeck a sixth-round find.

Now, they belong to a small football fraternity that started with Don Majkowski and continued to Aaron Rodgers: the Brett Favre Backup Club.

Majkowski watches games now in retirement, and he sees pieces of Favre all over the league. The same ball fakes. The same hop after firing a pass. The way so many of them undo their chinstraps after each play.

“His idiosyncrasies are everywhere,” Majkowski said. “If you closed your eyes and just listened to a Packers game, you can hear the cadence. Aaron Rodgers sounds exactly like Brett. He’s not alone. Those dudes are doing everything that Brett did.”

Eleven of the 18 members later started for other teams. But first, each apprenticed under Favre, a job that was part stagehand and part understudy. Looking back, it was part of history, too.

Beyond the tics they carried with them, enduring images of Favre remain. They are snapshots frozen in time that, when taken together, present the picture of a quarterback from the vantage point of those who spent the most time around him.

They remember Favre as a young man, “a knucklehead,” Majkowski said. Favre would show up at meetings wearing shorts but no shoes. He would lean back in a chair and place his bare feet on the table. Coach Mike Holmgren, ever the perfectionist, would point at Favre and look at Majkowski.

“Like, can you believe this hick?” Majkowski said.

Those were the wild times. The parties after games at Majkowski’s house. The college atmosphere. The plays that broke down, only to end with touchdown passes. “No-no-no-no-no-yes!” plays is what Holmgren called them.

“But you could see all the signs when I was with him of how great he could be,” said Kurt Warner, a nonmember of the Backup Club who spent training camp with the Packers in 1994.

They remember Favre the practical joker, the veteran who asked them to fetch orange juice and then dumped hot sauce in their cereal, who put fake rats in their lockers or who blew air horns in their ears. One time, Favre even soaked the jersey of his successor, Aaron Rodgers, with doe urine. The smell lasted for months.

Detmer and Favre once had a running contest with the kickers, who put Favre’s helmet in the ice tub for revenge. It was the first year with coach-to-quarterback communication devices in players’ helmets, and Favre’s short-circuited, leading Holmgren to blow his own fuse.

The only backup who confessed to returning fire was Hasselbeck, who once put live worms in Favre’s chewing tobacco.

Favre laughed at that incident, typical of the everyman the backups all remember. When Hasselbeck arrived in 1998, he passed a billboard with Favre’s face every day on the way to practice. At their first meeting, Favre turned to Hasselbeck and said, “Hi, I’m Brett.”

“He introduced himself as if I didn’t know who he was,” Hasselbeck said. “I had this image, from the quarterbacks I had been around, of this QB attitude. Brett was normal. His best friend was the strength coach.”

Favre’s current backup, Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens, said, “He does a good job of not being Brett Favre, if that makes any sense.”

To the backups, it makes perfect sense. Hasselbeck often found Favre alone in the weight room, squatting 315 pounds. Another backup, Saints quarterback Mark Brunell (member, 1993-4), witnessed Favre’s well-documented wildness translating onto the golf course.

Then there was the time when Favre, Brunell and Detmer went hunting in Wisconsin. Favre showed up in blue sweat pants and an orange hunting jacket. When Brunell noticed the shotgun in Favre’s hands, it made him nervous. While walking through the woods, they spotted a deer, and Detmer remembers Favre asking, “Is that a dog?”

Asked if they killed anything, Brunell said, “Just time.”

Over the years, as the backups changed and Favre matured, their stories reveal how he improved in golf and in hunting and, of course, in football. Everything changed, they said, except Favre, who has made 279 consecutive starts, including the postseason.

“He’s the same guy behind the facemask,” said Ingle Martin, a backup in 2006. “The same mannerisms, the same everything.”

None of the backups recommend following Favre’s fundamentals — not the hop backward after throws, not the underhand passes. But when they look at competitiveness and pain tolerance and old-fashioned luck, they find all those attributes in the quarterback who kept them off the field.

Majkowski saw the X-rays after Favre broke the thumb on his throwing hand in 2003. Normally, Majkowski said, that injury would require surgery with screws inserted. Favre never missed a practice.

“It’s the greatest single consecutive starting streak in the history of sports,” Majkowski said. “Unless you played quarterback in the N.F.L., you can’t fully appreciate how difficult it is to go through one season without missing a game, let alone 17.”

Mostly, though, they remember Favre the human being. They remember the stories he told, the John Elway impression he perfected.

He is very much grateful to those people who stuck with him,” Hasselbeck said, noting that coaches in Atlanta gave up on Favre and that coaches in Green Bay almost did. “He has this larger-than-life persona, or image, but at the end of the day, he’s still a human being. Mike Holmgren believed in Brett when a lot of people didn’t. Maybe something similar is happening right now.”

The backups watched Favre’s tearful retirement news conference last spring — “Which press conference?” Brunell joked. “I remember five or six of those” — and all the memories came flooding back. Only Majkowski, who has covered the Packers as an analyst in recent years, believed that Favre would stay retired. He had approached Favre on the field before games. Sometimes, when he asked if Favre was hanging in there, the answer came back, “barely.”

“I knew he wouldn’t,” Hasselbeck said. “I’m not saying he knew, but if you know him, he loves football. There are guys in the N.F.L. who love being in the N.F.L., and there are guys who just love to play football. It’s totally different.”

They listened as analysts criticized Favre for his indecision. They, too, heard stories about the way Favre distanced himself from teammates as he grew older. What struck Steve Bono, a backup in 1997, was when Favre said it was “hard to be Brett.”

“That was the weight that he felt and carried,” Bono said.

Majkowski said: “There is no comparison to the guy at that press conference compared to when I first met him. It’s hard for me to comprehend now that maturity, that he’s old enough to be called Mr. Favre now.”

Favre turns 39 on Friday. Now settled with the Jets, he leads the league in passer rating through five weeks. The backups watch him wearing green and white, and it feels strange — like seeing their collective history, the same old Brett, but all mixed up.

“Honestly, I don’t like it,” Brunell said. “To me, Brett Favre is a Packer. I would have loved if he had finished a Packer. To me, and shoot, to millions of others, he’s going to be considered a Packer.”

The Backup Club will induct three new members at the end of this season, but so far, only Rodgers holds the distinction of replacing the man who always seemed as if he would play forever.

“It’s an honor,” Rodgers said, “to play behind one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, take the reins of a good football team, and try and pick up where he left off.”

Throwing Red Flags All Over McCarthy's Lawn
    Good article.

They arrived in Green Bay a cast of characters, 18 men who played quarterback for the Packers during a 17-season stretch when few of them played at all.

Jim McMahon arrived as a Super Bowl champion, Ty Detmer as a Heisman Trophy winner. Rick Mirer was a first-round disappointment, Matt Hasselbeck a sixth-round find.

Now, they belong to a small football fraternity that started with Don Majkowski and continued to Aaron Rodgers: the Brett Favre Backup Club.

Majkowski watches games now in retirement, and he sees pieces of Favre all over the league. The same ball fakes. The same hop after firing a pass. The way so many of them undo their chinstraps after each play.

“His idiosyncrasies are everywhere,” Majkowski said. “If you closed your eyes and just listened to a Packers game, you can hear the cadence. Aaron Rodgers sounds exactly like Brett. He’s not alone. Those dudes are doing everything that Brett did.”

Eleven of the 18 members later started for other teams. But first, each apprenticed under Favre, a job that was part stagehand and part understudy. Looking back, it was part of history, too.

Beyond the tics they carried with them, enduring images of Favre remain. They are snapshots frozen in time that, when taken together, present the picture of a quarterback from the vantage point of those who spent the most time around him.

They remember Favre as a young man, “a knucklehead,” Majkowski said. Favre would show up at meetings wearing shorts but no shoes. He would lean back in a chair and place his bare feet on the table. Coach Mike Holmgren, ever the perfectionist, would point at Favre and look at Majkowski.

Those were the wild times. The parties after games at Majkowski’s house. The college atmosphere. The plays that broke down, only to end with touchdown passes. “No-no-no-no-no-yes!” plays is what Holmgren called them.

“But you could see all the signs when I was with him of how great he could be,” said Kurt Warner, a nonmember of the Backup Club who spent training camp with the Packers in 1994.

They remember Favre the practical joker, the veteran who asked them to fetch orange juice and then dumped hot sauce in their cereal, who put fake rats in their lockers or who blew air horns in their ears. One time, Favre even soaked the jersey of his successor, Aaron Rodgers, with doe urine. The smell lasted for months.

Detmer and Favre once had a running contest with the kickers, who put Favre’s helmet in the ice tub for revenge. It was the first year with coach-to-quarterback communication devices in players’ helmets, and Favre’s short-circuited, leading Holmgren to blow his own fuse.

The only backup who confessed to returning fire was Hasselbeck, who once put live worms in Favre’s chewing tobacco.

Favre laughed at that incident, typical of the everyman the backups all remember. When Hasselbeck arrived in 1998, he passed a billboard with Favre’s face every day on the way to practice. At their first meeting, Favre turned to Hasselbeck and said, “Hi, I’m Brett.”

“He introduced himself as if I didn’t know who he was,” Hasselbeck said. “I had this image, from the quarterbacks I had been around, of this QB attitude. Brett was normal. His best friend was the strength coach.”

Favre’s current backup, Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens, said, “He does a good job of not being Brett Favre, if that makes any sense.”

To the backups, it makes perfect sense. Hasselbeck often found Favre alone in the weight room, squatting 315 pounds. Another backup, Saints quarterback Mark Brunell (member, 1993-4), witnessed Favre’s well-documented wildness translating onto the golf course.

Then there was the time when Favre, Brunell and Detmer went hunting in Wisconsin. Favre showed up in blue sweat pants and an orange hunting jacket. When Brunell noticed the shotgun in Favre’s hands, it made him nervous. While walking through the woods, they spotted a deer, and Detmer remembers Favre asking, “Is that a dog?”

Over the years, as the backups changed and Favre matured, their stories reveal how he improved in golf and in hunting and, of course, in football. Everything changed, they said, except Favre, who has made 279 consecutive starts, including the postseason.

“He’s the same guy behind the facemask,” said Ingle Martin, a backup in 2006. “The same mannerisms, the same everything.”

None of the backups recommend following Favre’s fundamentals — not the hop backward after throws, not the underhand passes. But when they look at competitiveness and pain tolerance and old-fashioned luck, they find all those attributes in the quarterback who kept them off the field.

Majkowski saw the X-rays after Favre broke the thumb on his throwing hand in 2003. Normally, Majkowski said, that injury would require surgery with screws inserted. Favre never missed a practice.

“It’s the greatest single consecutive starting streak in the history of sports,” Majkowski said. “Unless you played quarterback in the N.F.L., you can’t fully appreciate how difficult it is to go through one season without missing a game, let alone 17.”

Mostly, though, they remember Favre the human being. They remember the stories he told, the John Elway impression he perfected.

He is very much grateful to those people who stuck with him,” Hasselbeck said, noting that coaches in Atlanta gave up on Favre and that coaches in Green Bay almost did. “He has this larger-than-life persona, or image, but at the end of the day, he’s still a human being. Mike Holmgren believed in Brett when a lot of people didn’t. Maybe something similar is happening right now.”

The backups watched Favre’s tearful retirement news conference last spring — “Which press conference?” Brunell joked. “I remember five or six of those” — and all the memories came flooding back. Only Majkowski, who has covered the Packers as an analyst in recent years, believed that Favre would stay retired. He had approached Favre on the field before games. Sometimes, when he asked if Favre was hanging in there, the answer came back, “barely.”

“I knew he wouldn’t,” Hasselbeck said. “I’m not saying he knew, but if you know him, he loves football. There are guys in the N.F.L. who love being in the N.F.L., and there are guys who just love to play football. It’s totally different.”

They listened as analysts criticized Favre for his indecision. They, too, heard stories about the way Favre distanced himself from teammates as he grew older. What struck Steve Bono, a backup in 1997, was when Favre said it was “hard to be Brett.”

Majkowski said: “There is no comparison to the guy at that press conference compared to when I first met him. It’s hard for me to comprehend now that maturity, that he’s old enough to be called Mr. Favre now.”

Favre turns 39 on Friday. Now settled with the Jets, he leads the league in passer rating through five weeks. The backups watch him wearing green and white, and it feels strange — like seeing their collective history, the same old Brett, but all mixed up.

“Honestly, I don’t like it,” Brunell said. “To me, Brett Favre is a Packer. I would have loved if he had finished a Packer. To me, and shoot, to millions of others, he’s going to be considered a Packer.”

The Backup Club will induct three new members at the end of this season, but so far, only Rodgers holds the distinction of replacing the man who always seemed as if he would play forever.

“It’s an honor,” Rodgers said, “to play behind one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, take the reins of a good football team, and try and pick up where he left off.”
    Great post 007! I still love Favre. Kinda weird watching him as a Jet, but I try to watch those games the same as Packer games, just hoping he doesn't break a leg and wins games (plus gets boytoucher TT a better draft pick if he does well).
    Snake's Twitter comments would be LEGENDARY.........if I was ugly or gave a shit about Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeLH2006
    Good article.

Great post 007! I still love Favre. Kinda weird watching him as a Jet, but I try to watch those games the same as Packer games, just hoping he doesn't break a leg and wins games (plus gets boytoucher TT a better draft pick if he does well).

no jet/pack game-watchn conflict today (PRAISE GOD!)...

jets early, pack late (sundays are twice as nice - thanks for coming back "BEST EVER")
    They said God has a Tim Tebow complex!

Brew Crew in 2011!!!

Gotta say: I liked what a radio guy said yesterday, and this is not intended as a shot at AR.

"I don't care what anyone says, the packers kicked Favre to curb. Not only can you just not to that to a legend to begin with, you definitely can't do that to a legend that was, and is, playing some pretty good football. Rodgers looks like a good QB, but you can't tell me overall the team doesn't play better with #4 at the helm this season. It's not like Rodgers can be back next year, and you would of been a sure fire Super Bowl contendor this season, instead of a possible .500 team. Say what you want, but 13-3 wont be happening, and while it's unfair to blame Rodgers for anything, as he has had no say and really just put on the spot, Favre should of been the starter this season in GB, and I doubt he would of had better numebrs then rodgers, but possible more wins at this point. I know it's hindsight, but the packers were wrong, and everyone is starting to realize it. Kicking aside a guy who just turned 39 who has been the face of the franchise, showed up every week to work, never missing a day in 16 years and is still a top performer at what he does? Explain to me what buisness looks good doing that."

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker1234
    Gotta say: I liked what a radio guy said yesterday, and this is not intended as a shot at AR.

"I don't care what anyone says, the packers kicked Favre to curb. Not only can you just not to that to a legend to begin with, you definitely can't do that to a legend that was, and is, playing some pretty good football. Rodgers looks like a good QB, but you can't tell me overall the team doesn't play better with #4 at the helm this season. It's not like Rodgers can be back next year, and you would of been a sure fire Super Bowl contendor this season, instead of a possible .500 team. Say what you want, but 13-3 wont be happening, and while it's unfair to blame Rodgers for anything, as he has had no say and really just put on the spot, Favre should of been the starter this season in GB, and I doubt he would of had better numebrs then rodgers, but possible more wins at this point. I know it's hindsight, but the packers were wrong, and everyone is starting to realize it. Kicking aside a guy who just turned 39 who has been the face of the franchise, showed up every week to work, never missing a day in 16 years and is still a top performer at what he does? Explain to me what buisness looks good doing that."
    Then show me a business that gives somebody their job back after retiring, saying he wants to comeback, changes his mind and says he's still retired, then demands his job back again. MY guess is if you tried to pull that with your boss, you still be unemployed.

That's odd. Your radio guy buddy seems to have left out a few parts to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell

That's odd. Your radio guy buddy seems to have left out a few parts to the story.
    the rest of it is irrelevant scott...you know that