Page 328 of 563 FirstFirst ... 228 278 318 326 327 328 329 330 338 378 428 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,560 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641
    Here is a Rodgers story I had never heard before

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/100902

4. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
    2010's most savvy bet: Rodgers to win the MVP as a semi-long shot at 12-to-1 odds. Last season, he threw for 4,434 yards, 30 touchdowns and just seven picks, then nearly pulled off a historic comeback in that unforgettable Packers-Cards wild-card game (finishing with 423 passing yards, four TDs). And Green Bay's offense has "The Look" in the preseason: Everything is pointing toward a 2009 Saints-type breakout year. On a personal note, my affection for Rodgers increased exponentially at ESPN's Sundance party during the conference championships, when Rodgers and his buddies unabashedly rooted against former nemesis Favre and the Vikings down the stretch and celebrated raucously when New Orleans pulled it out. Rodgers couldn't have been more delighted; he did everything but climb on the bar and start a "F--- YOU, FAVRE!" chant. I will always root for him after that. And yes, that story is 100 percent true.

Love Rodgers
    Come on Man.

Is that really a good thing? I think not. That's questionable behaviour in terms of it's one of those in your face things that often backfire in sports rivalrys.

Or this:

Isn't that a little more oil on the fire Favre and the Vikings need? That's the sort of thing that generally fires up any rival in the world of sports and adds incentive to beat that opponent. Not smart ...bad karma for us on behalf of Aaron Rodgers. A waste of energy. Over negative.

It's better to wait. Be patient and put it all out there on the field. Win games on the field by demonstrating superiority and keep the emotions out of it.

GO PACK GO!
    Its not as significant as a telephone consultation with your former teams upcoming opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan
    I dont care if you love him or hate him, what got out of control was the Pack on Pack crime. People are entitled to their opinions without being shat on.
    Quoted for truth. Dayum.
    2nd
    Baah

Did Favre sign ** a new contract recently?

I thought I saw this week that Brett Favre signed a standard four year contract with the Vikings. Saw that on their site. Since, I tried to do a follow-up and cannot find the article RE: ** such.
    I believe its still the same two year deal framework (09 through 10), but he was given additional money for this year. Some of the amount and much of the incentives would be paid out in 2011, after this season. But I believe the contract runs only through 2010.
    I heard a lot about a few extra million in Brett's contract, but I've yet to read any attribution to that. From a league-wide picture --and I am nowhere near a league sympathizer-- I hate that a small-market team has to pay a player even more money on top of a salary that exceeds in one year what most people will make in their lifetimes (and it's not like the guy wasn't paid heftily during his first 19 seasons). It seems so stupidly crass that I hope it's just speculation. But if it's been whispered so much, it likely isn't.

Since we're no longer running on a salary cap, there's far less need to report salaries. Is there any place that can verify what a player's current payroll value is?
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin

I thought I saw this week that Brett Favre signed a standard four year contract with the Vikings. Saw that on their site. Since, I tried to do a follow-up and cannot find the article RE: ** such.
    I believe its still the same two year deal framework (09 through 10), but he was given additional money for this year. Some of the amount and much of the incentives would be paid out in 2011, after this season. But I believe the contract runs only through 2010.
    I heard a lot about a few extra million in Brett's contract, but I've yet to read any attribution to that. From a league-wide picture --and I am nowhere near a league sympathizer-- I hate that a small-market team has to pay a player even more money on top of a salary that exceeds in one year what most people will make in their lifetimes (and it's not like the guy wasn't paid heftily during his first 19 seasons). It seems so stupidly crass that I hope it's just speculation. But if it's been whispered so much, it likely isn't.

Since we're no longer running on a salary cap, there's far less need to report salaries. Is there any place that can verify what a player's current payroll value is?
    I don't think you can qualify the Vikings as small market. Low revenue, perhaps.

Here is PFT on the new payment schedule (the reference to 2011's W-2 income is for the deferred income, not another contract year): http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...llion-to-2011/

And here are the details of the new deal: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...llion-to-2011/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    I don't think he hates Favre. They'll likely never be friends, but I think there's some respect there. Rodgers cheering for the Saints might have had a lot to do with the fact that Rodgers and Brees are good friends. Besides, maybe like a lot of Packer fans, he just doesn't want to see the Vikings win. But that's not as good a story as saying he hates Favre.
    Spot on. Rodgers has said that Brees is one of his best friends and that they work and hang out in the offseason. I take this story as he was happy for a real good friend.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

A Michael Hunt article in the JSO this morning got me thinking: how tight will the officials call the Minny/NO game, vis a vis quarterback hits?

I'm thinking the defensive players on both sides will probably need to be careful. I think it's getting tougher and tougher for defenders to figure what kind of hit is "okay." I know it's all about "safety first" but at the same time, the officials sure have narrowed how and where you can hit a quarterback.

Not in the helmet. Not at the knees or below. Not with your helmet. Not if he's released the ball, not even if you're speeding at him full bore and can't stop.

So a defender can more or less hit between the chest and thighs with his shoulder, but only when the QB has the ball in his hands. That sounds okay, but in practice, that'd be tough to limit yourself to.

I have mixed feelings on this. I don't like the way the old NFLers, many of them, are walking around with their brains in a fog from the nearly unrestricted violence of the old game.. Greg Lloyd, for one example. (Matt Millen's brain sure seemed in a fog when he was Lions' GM, too....).

But it's difficult, almost a contradiction, to to preach "safety first" in a game in which players are applauded for not being safe - for throwing themselves around, sacrificing their bodies, for the good of the cause. Receivers going over the middle. Special teams guys who have no regard for their bodies. We worship this trait. We think of it as "masculine." Yet we live in a culture that recognizes the damage this does, so the NFL preaches safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan
    I liked your thoughts Mr. Woodbuck.

What the hell ever happened to Harlan? Scott, did you two have a rough break up?

My love for Harlan knows no bounds. He was active in FYI, and rarely seen anywhere else. Not sure where he is.
    He is sad that Obama's approval rating fell below 50%...I am sure he is on a Jack bender right now
    There was an announcement on Good Morning America today that ' The President of the USA ' will be interviewed by George Strombonopolis (sp) in the very near future. Thge greatest decline in his approval rating in American Presidential Gallup polls seems to ensure that Obama will be a one term President. That's disappointing to so many and I include Canadians, that hoped her would be an outstanding leader in terms of creating jobs and significantly endorsing an American economic policy that would reflect the intelligence we believed we saw from this man. Instead it appears he sold out to the establishment and thatbis a strange direction for a Democrat ( a Liberal in our country as opposed to the Conservative (Republican) party) that usually looks after the little guy in terms of solid social programs and job creation.

Barack Obama's idea that he could install a Health Care program along the lines we have in our country, and given the fact your population and demographics is vastly removed from ours, made his dream somewhat difficult if not unrealistic.

The second mistake or questionable move was to bail out the establishment as opposed to spending that huge amount of money fr. your treasury to lower the taxes of the little guy and create a healthier overall job creation program.

Generally it was my impression reading the press and watching the media that Canadians were excited that your President would step up to the plate and in his second term knock one out of the park after a feeling out process. That Obama would take the USA back to the forefront in terms of an overall economic policy that we could tag into, in spite of the fact our banking system is one of the worlds finest and has kept Canada strong despite an economic downturn in the world overall. Instead we see the potential for a second economic disaster in the USA according to many economic and market experts opinion.

Obama has sold out ' to Mr. BIG ' and what is the alternative? Back to the Republican way? It's not interesting, rather scary to observe your political machine, in a time when we need America to be strong; an economic leader leading by example to serve the mass's not moreso the establishment. The accent should be on lowering taxes for the normal family and as a result stimulate spending and American manufacture.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

The second mistake or questionable move was to bail out the establishment as opposed to spending that huge amount of money fr. your treasury to lower the taxes of the little guy and create a healthier overall job creation program.
    http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewto...=15393&start=0
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    Woody, I've been posting with you for a lot of years, but your ..... oh just forget it.
    Woody, I've been posting with you for a lot of years, but your ** Tarlam!

I'll tell you what I am Tarlam!

I'm fair, confident , intelligent, supportive or a team player. I'm responsible, a leader, honest and extremely loyal or dedicated to a foundation that supports the best results. I'm fortunate to be well liked by anyone that really does get to know me. That respects the consistent values that I adopted a long time ago to use as a guide to living and enjoying my life Tarlam!.

A long time ago I adopted a consistent approach to living and leading others. It's all that allows me to claim with honesty my most valued quality. My integrity. I stand up always, for what I believe. That long term will bless me with value Tarlam!

I like the team I'm on man. It's always ' the winning team ', and that team has little to do with sports. That team ensures I'm a winner or close to that in terms of any competition Tarlam! I've always known how to compete and win or contribute to that. I also know how to play the game and to prosper at having fun and enjoyment. Noone has ever turned me away from sacrificing my values and principles. Even when that has amounted to unecessary punishment or personal pain.

People either really like me or oppose me. I'm not affected by what ' the wrong side ' thinks of me or how I'm judged. I choose the right side. That's always based in ' the right way '.

You've played Pro Pickem' with me Tarlam!, for four seasons now. How well do I fare? Ever analyze me or learn from my ways or advice that I offer so willingly or generously Tarlam! ? When I enter any contest here. How have I done Tarlam!? Am I consistent in terms of results Tarlam! ?Am I competitive and generally a winner or close to that? For me that has always been ' the way ' Tarlam!. Prepare, and then proceed and expect decent results, if not win outright. You cannot make a positive out of a negative. I use the brains and skills God granted me man. I don't insult Him with nonsense or with less then what He desires of me. Goodness.

TO WIN! There is only one way to ever get there Tarlam! THe slow and even approach trumps agressiveness and stupidity. Preperation trumps risk and foolhardiness.

I say what I mean and back myself up always with common sense and decency Tarlam!. I'm stubborn to ' the right ', because that's best. I'm convinced that those that choose my way and side will win. That way, has demonstrated too much that's positve for me in my past Tarlam!.

I'll stick with 'that way' man. Goodness ' the result ' that generally comes from ' the right way or approach '. That has nothing to do with this:

Hate. Hate loses !!

GO PACK GO!
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Holy shit is this guy full of himself!

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin

I followed that post up and discovered that Brett Favre and his agent negotiated a new deal and may be paid in the order of $20 Million dollars and that larger amount than last season may be as a result of an incentive clause. If that's so and given that toiday I discovered again that this will be his final season in the NFL (see Yahoo Sports - NFL news), he will be giving his all this season. I choose ' as a Packer fan ' to respect what that could mean in terms of our hopes and given ' the competitor ' I've seen from him. If the Vikings organization and his teammates are on the same page as Brett Favre, and protect themselves in terms of his new contract by getting him the quality receivers he needs. Brett Favre will have a giant season Packer fans.

That's the ' big if factor ' I'm watching out for at this stage in the season. The Vikings need help somewhere to protect the investment they've made in Favre. Anything less than that is insufficiant to meet his purpose or goal with the Vikings. To get that team to a Super Bowl.

Let's hope that TT has the parts and our coaching staff has done the preperation to date and in the immediate future to seize the moment from the Vikings. No matter what they do to strengthen.

I read last night that Randy Moss is disgruntled in New England. How much would Favre desire him back in a Vikings uniform? Y'all know the answer to that question and the possible repurcussions that could mean to our teams results this season.

Some of you may poo poo that prospect as insignificant and I would disagree with you. Randy Moss and Brett Favre on the same team. Imagine that prospect given their skills and will to win at this last stage in their steller HOF careers. We know today that there are quality WR's available at a valued price. Quality WR's that might put ' a Super Bowl appearance and win ' ahead of personal issues, such as a huge contract.

It's interesting to me. Because of the prospects that possibility will present to us as Packer fans. The Vikings must make a significant move now or early in this season. A move that will shore them up, and will be counter to the hopes we have for our team this season.

GO PACKERS GO !!

Quote Originally Posted by get louder at lambeau
    No man. I know who I am. When you get to be my age you may as well.

I really, really hope not. I find arrogant people nauseating.

I really, really hope not. I find arrogant people nauseating.
    "They" say that the most arrogant people in the world are the ones that do not know they are arrogant.

Let me remove all doubt. You "get louder at lambeau" are extremely arrogant.

I usually skip Woody's posts but I read the one about Moss and his will to win? You might want to check out some Randy Moss playoff games and reword that statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641
    Here is a Rodgers story I had never heard before

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/100902

4. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
    2010's most savvy bet: Rodgers to win the MVP as a semi-long shot at 12-to-1 odds. Last season, he threw for 4,434 yards, 30 touchdowns and just seven picks, then nearly pulled off a historic comeback in that unforgettable Packers-Cards wild-card game (finishing with 423 passing yards, four TDs). And Green Bay's offense has "The Look" in the preseason: Everything is pointing toward a 2009 Saints-type breakout year. On a personal note, my affection for Rodgers increased exponentially at ESPN's Sundance party during the conference championships, when Rodgers and his buddies unabashedly rooted against former nemesis Favre and the Vikings down the stretch and celebrated raucously when New Orleans pulled it out. Rodgers couldn't have been more delighted; he did everything but climb on the bar and start a "F--- YOU, FAVRE!" chant. I will always root for him after that. And yes, that story is 100 percent true.

Love Rodgers
    Come on Man.

Is that really a good thing? I think not. That's questionable behaviour in terms of it's one of those in your face things that often backfire in sports rivalrys.

Or this:

Isn't that a little more oil on the fire Favre and the Vikings need? That's the sort of thing that generally fires up any rival in the world of sports and adds incentive to beat that opponent. Not smart ...bad karma for us on behalf of Aaron Rodgers. A waste of energy. Over negative.

It's better to wait. Be patient and put it all out there on the field. Win games on the field by demonstrating superiority and keep the emotions out of it.

GO PACK GO!
    Its not as significant as a telephone consultation with your former teams upcoming opponent.
    Given that 'in fact' that's true. What bearing does that have in terms of today? Brett Favre was in effect put out to pature by the Pacxker organizationb and even bribed by the Packers organization to retire from the game he loves.

Favre has integrity. He turned his nose up to that bribe Patler. How many men do you know that would turn down some $20 Millions $'s to retire from whatever? Just take that money and disappar. The fact he refused that offer stands Favre up even bigger in my estimation of that man as someone very special.

I as a Canadian love the NHL and always have followed my favourite team and player (s) ' with this ' as a fact of life in terms of any players career:

When any team trades a star player to another team, or otherwise waives that player or releases him. That player tries his best to shove that decision in his former teams face. To make the former team pay for not believing in him. Often he gets his revenge as he's justly motivated to do so. That's part of being a professional,, and all that which is related to a star or very talented players ego.

It was time for TT to get Favre out of sight and move forward with Aaron Rodgers. We saw that coming the day Aaron Rodgers was drafted. I certainly saw that coming and was concerned that Brett Favre wouldn't set significant personal records in a Packer uniform. Well he did all of that but his main incentive was not records. Rather win another Super Bowl. He came so close again in a Packer uniform and failure never dulled his appetite. The man wants to win very badly.

Try ... try ... try, until you succeed.

Once that was done ( culminating in that heart wrenching loss to the NY Giants ). I wanted Favre out of Green Bay. It was obvious to me and some others that we are not seeing around here these days. That there were certain frustrations that seperated the philosophies and intents of Brett Favre and TT. They were on different pages and worlds apart in terms of winning, now and 'YES' despite that ' Brett Favre and the Packers ' came close.

That's an old argument as well, and 'the fact is', and that we enjoy today. Is we're considered contenders to go to a Super Bowl. That's moot considering ' the fact of life ', that it'll be left on the field of play. Our success Vs any teams. We have alot of teams to play and defeat besides the Vikings.

In terms of Brett Favre and his present incentives and direction.

TT's personality and ' the will to win ' is now moot. Favre is free of TT. He certainly wants to demonstrate again this season that he had plenty in the tank when TT went in another direction. See above and National Hockey League players.

By the way the record will clearly demonstrate that personally I've supported that move of Rodgers over Favre by TT and the Packer organization. It was time. Given that was done. What Brett Favre has ever done to support his needs is moot. He's no longer a Packer and free as a professional to make his best deal and with a team he considers a serious contender.

He's not a traitor. Favre is a man on a mission as a Pro atlhlete, and 'of course' that's possibly counter productive to our hopes, and only as he proves himself worthy of playing at a high level and winning the big games. He's fallen down many times but despite all that many NFL fans love him in the game. He's arguably, the most exciting player to ever play the QB position in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers is our QB now and it's too simple. Suport Aaron Rodgers and certainly use some wisdom in terms of hating Brett Favre. That's just wrong to sick IMO.

Disagreeing with me won't change my position.

GO PACKERS!

I'll tell you what I am Tarlam!

I'm fair, confident , intelligent, supportive or a team player. I'm responsible, a leader, honest and extremely loyal or dedicated to a foundation that supports the best results. I'm fortunate to be well liked by anyone that really does get to know me. That respects the consistent values that I adopted a long time ago to use as a guide to living and enjoying my life Tarlam!.

.................................................. .........................yadda, yadda, yadda.

Brett Favre was ................ bribed by the Packers organization to retire from the game he loves.

Favre has integrity.

He's not a traitor.

In retrospect it would have been nice if Canada had gone French only instead of bilingual--let the posters at Les_Ratons_Paquerres.comme deal with it.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Geeze Woody, get off the Favre love train and try to comprehend my point:

YOU criticized Rodgers for having cheered against Favre.
    YOU called it "questionable behaviour" by Rodgers.
    YOU characterized it as the type of action that often "backfire in sports rivalrys".
    YOU called it "not smart".
    YOU called it "bad karma".
    YOU called it "a waste of energy".
    YOU called it "overly negative"
    YOU said "It's better to wait. Be patient and put it all out there on the field. Win games on the field by demonstrating superiority and keep the emotions out of it."

All because Rodgers cheered for his good friend (Brees) and against the guy who reportedly wouldn't even return his call two years ago. The guy who treated him very coldly as a teammate.

All I said was that whatever Rodgers did, it was not nearly as significant as what Favre did in consulting with a third team. How can you condemn Rodgers for cheering for a friend and against someone who refused to be his friend; and excuse Favre for his actions against the team that payed him about $100 million and their fans who adored him?

My god Woody, rebalance your scale a little. Condem both or excuse both, or maybe realize that what Rodgers did HAD NO EFFECT ON ANYONE OR ANY OUTCOME. On the other hand, Favre attempted to influence the outcome of a game in which he was not playing, just to take out his anger on his former team and in the process directly impact his former teammates and his fans. If anything was an over reaction, bad karma, overly negative or anything that you accused Rodgers of, it was Favre consulting with the Lions (and maybe others as well.)