Page 452 of 531 FirstFirst ... 352 402 442 450 451 452 453 454 462 502 ... LastLast
Results 9,021 to 9,040 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    What else CAN he say about Rodgers without sounding like a jerk?
    he can't say anything without sounding like a jerk...because that's exactly what he is. people need to stop asking him questions.

Don Hutson - #1 Packer of all time.

Bart Starr - #2.

Brent is more along the lines of Paul Hornung.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I don't expect him to like Rodgers. Took years for Montana and Young to come to terms and it will be the same with these two.

But I do wish amends could be made between the team and 4 THEN he go interview crazy. But we don't have control over it, it'll just have to run its course.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

My favorite part was when he said he was like Tony Romo because Romo was carrying the team on his back

Practice some humility, Brett. Sheesh. And show some respect for the players that played around you. It seems like the really great ones go down thanking those around them, saying there was no way they could have done it without their team mates. Favre talks about a great player being able to do it with junk around him. Come on, Brett. . . . .
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Favre might go down as the second greatest QB on his team in Green Bay. That possibility would get the worst out of me too, I think, if I had done all that Favre has done.

It seems like the subtle pot-shots from both these guys never ends. The difference is Favre's message is how great he was and how much talent AR has around him, and AR's pot shots are about how selfish Favre was as a player (really nothing to do with how good he was.)

Favre is narcissistic, to the point where he needs that outside approval. You can see it. AR seems to have a more healthy narcissism. I can't picture AR being bitter and taking pot-shots at the next guy for having too much around him. I can't see him ever comparing himself to a player who has garbage players around him and saying that's what shows how great he is. I don't think AR will care much if he's considered the best Packer ever or the 10th. I just don't think he needs the approval the way Favre does. I know Favre isn't being as stupid as he was during the Jen Sturger thing and all of the other drama in those final years of his career, but the more he talks, the more he shows himself to be a true, self-centered ass-hole.

For a great player, AR walked into the single greatest situation, maybe ever for a QB. He followed up a guy who treated him like shit and wanted him gone, a guy who ditched team work to sit home, a guy who had his own locker room, and everyone knew it, a guy who clearly, if not explicately held the team hostage for the last couple years of his career, a guy who ended up being in a sext scandal where his penis was posted all across the web along with voice mails that paint him in the most disgusting light to a not-so classy media girl right in the middle of the switch and a guy who was considered to be one of the greatest players of our era. Anything AR did, he would have been given the excuse that it's hard to live up to Favre. TT on the other hand would have been crucified. On top of those intangible things, AR came into a team that was built to win for the next 5-10 years and a GM who seems to be capable of making sure AR has a dominant cast for his whole career. He has the best set of receiving weapons in the NFL. He has a darn good OL right now. Outside of running back, the Packers have the most talented offense in the league.

If he wasn't great, the Favre fans would have hated him forever, but I think nationally he would have been liked. The fact that he did turn out great, it's only exaggerated by the whole draft thing but mostly by the way Favre destroyed all of the respect he had built up in one of the most horrific throw-himself-under-the-bus 3 year fiasco's in sports history. Favre walked into a situation where he had an excellent supporting cast, in a new FA era, on a historic team that hadn't won in a couple decades. That was a great situation, a situation that made him look like a hero. Fuck, he couldn't leave good enough alone. As great of a hero-potential pot as he was tossed into, he made damn sure to give the next guy a better one. AR looks like more of a hero that he even is, and Favre has himself to thank for that.

Favre, sir, you are a retard. You could have gone down as an all time great, and a hero. Now you're probably going to go down as one of the biggest douche bags to wear a Packer uniform and be completely overshadowed as a person, and maybe as a player, by the guy who replaced you. Had he shut up and shown some class, history would have viewed the guys careers more separately, and certainly with less bias (similar to Montana/Young.) Now, even Favres playing career, as great as it was, is going to get slandered and mis-perceived by how big of a dick-wad he is. People can't separate the emotional part from the realities of what happened. Favre's play, as irrational is it may sound, is going to be remembered in a lower light because of his antics as a person. Had he gone down a hero, you would have seen highlights of his greatness and not the interceptions at the end. Because of the way he went down, you might see the poor aspects of his game, and of his personality highlighted more-so than the good. Not only that, because of they way he went down, the next guy is going to be exaggerated in the exact opposite direction and it's going to be done in a contrasting fashion, almost like a political campaign, except completely one sided.

Favre will never be remembered for as great as he was. Rodgers will forever be remembered greater than he even is. And all of the perception skew, Favre can place squarely on his shoulders, the same shoulders he believes carried the team for 16 years. He should have been casting a shadow over Rodgers career, instead he cast an eerie shadow over his own career. Oh, and he deserves it.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 06-28-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    JH, I disagree with a large percentage of your post. You claim Rodgers walked into a perfect situation? I couldn't disagree more. He had the pro-Favre crowd breathing down his neck ready to absolutely pounce on him if he failed. Let's not forget the stories about little kids swearing at him at training camp. I don't think it's a stretch to say many of the Favre fans wanted Rodgers to fail. If Rodgers had come out and stuggled, the media and Packer fans (not just Favre fans) would have crucified TT for pissing away a SB chance. Rodgers had a TON of pressure on him and lesser QB's would have certainly wilted.

I also think a lot of Favre's antics will be forgotten as time passes as well, and he will be remembered for the risk-taking country boy that Madden and others liked to pass him off for. Most NFL fans won't remember the timeline of everything that happened from January 2008 onward.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Most NFL fans won't remember the timeline of everything that happened from January 2008 onward.
    So we never forget...

January, 2006: It begins. Favre drops the word "undecided" on an ESPN Sunday Conversation , stating that if he "had to pick right now," he's "not coming back."

April, 2006: Just your everyday harmless decision NOT to retire, as Favre announces he'll be playing with the Packers once again. Everyone in Green Bay takes shots of beercheese to celebrate. The Onion , obviously wise before the rest of the world, mocks Favre for his indecision.

May 6, 2006: Favre holds a press conference in which he renounces his comments that he would retire after 2006 and states that he may keep playing past that year.

December 2006: Favre nearly cries on television after getting a standing ovation from the freaking Bears FANS during the final game of the 2006 season, because everyone understands he's actually retiring this time.

February 2007: I'm so excited. I just can't hide it. And so is Brett, as the 37-year-old unretires. Again.

January 2008: Packers lose to the Giants in the NFC Championship Game, but MY GOD, what a way to go out for a true legend, huh? A 13-3 record, MVP chatter, everyone forgetting that he basically did the same thing as Michael Jordan on the Wizards ... just legendary stuff in terms of timing if he retires now.

March 2008: Favre weeps while giving an awesome retirement speech , stating that he has "no regrets" because he "played the game one way" -- "the only way [he] knew how."

July 2008: Favre gets an "itch" to play again. RUH. ROH. Suddenly, Favre was "never fully committed" to retiring and the Packers and No. 4 are involved in a very public and awkward melee that results in Favre telling Fox News that the Packers "pressured" him and that they should let him "play elsewhere."

August 2008: Bretty's granted reinstatement by the NFL! He then harasses Green Bay in training camp until they trade him to the Jets.

September 2008: Favre throws six touchdowns (a career high!) as the Jets throttle the Cardinals and appear to be rolling towards the playoffs.

December 2008: Favre melts down during the stretch run, as the Jets go 1-3 and miss the playoffs.

February 2009: Favre retires. FOR THE ELEVENTY BILLIONTH TIME. He jokes, "I have no reason to wonder why you would be so skeptical."

April 2009: The Jets, ready to go in a "different direction," release Favre.

May 2009: Favre has surgery. Because, obviously, that's what people who are retired and want to ride on tractors do, right?

June 2009: Inexplicably, Favre considers playing for the Packers arch-rival, the Vikings. This is considered something along the lines of finding out that George Washington is actually French.

July 2009: Favre decides NOT to join Vikings, thus ending the retiring the possibility that he would retire from retirement. Or something.

August 2009: Favre UNRETIRES, joins the Vikings.

October 2009: Favre gets booed at Lambeau Field and then proceeds to beat the Green Bay Packers.

January 2010: Ole' No. 4 wins a playoff game at age 40 and sings "Pants on the Ground" in the locker room . Then he proceeds to throw an interception to end the Vikings shot at a Super Bowl.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    By golly, it's all coming back to me now.

Look, we had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.

But the stars on the beach are just starfish out of reach. And stuff.

I think Brent still harbors some resentment toward the Pack and Rodgers, based on his gushing over Romo and Brady, and based on his polite but reserved comments regarding Rodgers.

Do you invite that guy back for a retirement ceremony? I dunno. Seems like it'd be more tense than fun. And retirement ceremonies should be fun.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    By golly, it's all coming back to me now.

Look, we had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.

But the stars on the beach are just starfish out of reach. And stuff.

I think Brent still harbors some resentment toward the Pack and Rodgers, based on his gushing over Romo and Brady, and based on his polite but reserved comments regarding Rodgers.

Do you invite that guy back for a retirement ceremony? I dunno. Seems like it'd be more tense than fun. And retirement ceremonies should be fun.
    Just hold a series of them each year for 4 years. By the time the 4th on occurs we will be really good at it from all th epratice and it might actually be fun by then,

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    Man. Looks like JH has some pent up frustration.

As for Favre becoming Arod's biggest fan, that's not going to happen. They're too close. It's easy to sit back from the glory years and know you're place in history is cemented and cheer for the best QB the franchise has seen since you... 20 years ago. It's an entirely different thing to be replaced by a guy when you still wanted to play. I don't expect him to wear the #12 jersey, but I do expect him to play nice and that's all I really want.
    - Once again, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Smeefers, that last post doesn't make you such a loser.

I love how you all hang on every word that flows from Favre's mouth. It is priceless. Some real hard hitting unbiased opinions on here.

Yes, we should keep scheduling retirement ceremonies for him but then change our minds as often as he "retired".

Each of their stories and public perception is intertwined with their respective approaches.

Favre felt taking risks was often necessary on some of his teams because he believed he was the only one capable of pulling it off. Rodgers feels like taking unnecessary risks (and some necessary ones) simply undermine the efforts of the whole.

Neither is optimal. Favre both won and lost games on the strength of his belief in his arm (see Rams playoff game or 4th and 26). Rodgers has shown risk aversion at times when it wasn't prudent. Mr. Blonde, the otherwise vitriolic Game Day Thread complainer, correctly pointed out that Rodgers sack on 4th down near the end of the Giants playoff game was completely unproductive. A heave anywhere but OOB would have been more productive in 95% of possible outcomes.

Favre likens his situation to Romo but he still fails to see the downside. Rodgers, and this is the trait that may separate him from the rest, seems to still be learning.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

GREEN BAY – Mike Sherman – a guy who knows a thing or two about having hard feelings toward the Green Bay Packers organization – believes that iconic quarterback Brett Favre and the franchise will reconcile eventually.

Sherman, who served as the Packers head coach from 2000 through 2005 and held the dual role of being the team’s general manager from 2001 through 2004, told the Boston Globe’s Greg Bedard that he expects the two sides to come together despite their ugly breakup during the summer of 2008.

Sherman, now offensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins under former Packers assistant Joe Philbin, was relieved of his general manager duties following the 2004 season, when then-president/CEO Bob Harlan hired current GM Ted Thompson. Thompson then fired Sherman, who had considered coaching the Packers his dream job, after the Packers went 4-12 in 2005.

"I think time will pass and everything will be made right," said Sherman, who spent eight seasons with the Packers during Favre’s tenure, first as tight ends coach (1997, 1998) and then as head coach. "Green Bay has meant too much to him as a player and as a person and he's been too much for them.

"I know there's some hard feelings, maybe on both sides, but at the same time I think with time that all dissipates and he'll be welcomed back with open arms. The dust just has to settle a little bit and the pain of his exit has to heal a little bit and I think he'll be what he was. He was an icon.

"I know he loved his time in Green Bay and has phenomenal memories. I know that he cherishes every single Sunday that he went out that tunnel to the cheers of those fans. I think eventually that will heal up and be put in the past."
    Thanks Ted!

Low Profile Rat Starter
    "I knew when I left, this guy has all of the tools; he can beat you with his feet, he has a great arm, extremely accurate, handles the cast around him perfectly," Favre told Sanders.

I think it would have been interesting if Sanders would have followed up with something like, "If you knew all this, were there any seeds of doubt planted in your mind on whether or not you could win a true, open QB competition in camp in 2008?"

Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    "I knew when I left, this guy has all of the tools; he can beat you with his feet, he has a great arm, extremely accurate, handles the cast around him perfectly," Favre told Sanders.

I think it would have been interesting if Sanders would have followed up with something like, "If you knew all this, were there any seeds of doubt planted in your mind on whether or not you could win a true, open QB competition in camp in 2008?"
    I truly believe Favre did have doubts and this is why he retired in 2008 the first time and why he scoffed at the notion when Greta asked him if he'd be interested in competing for his old job. I'm sure he did not not want to risk being anybody's back-up.

Hmmm, a previous assertion of irrefutable logic is called into question. Favre resisting attending Mike Holmgren's induction into the Packer HOF?

Original Story from Wilde interviewing Bob Harlan: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278
    PFT's take: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-brett-favre/

Tweet during interview I think: https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/stat...60526498529280
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
    Bob Harlan says Brett Favre should be in the @PackersHoF before @ProFootballHoF, suggests Favre should come back for Holmgren induction.

Wilde thinks Harlan is the man to bridge the gap: http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more...0&post_id=7568

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hmmm, a previous assertion of irrefutable logic is called into question. Favre resisting attending Mike Holmgren's induction into the Packer HOF?

Original Story from Wilde interviewing Bob Harlan: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278
    PFT's take: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-brett-favre/

Tweet during interview I think: https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/stat...60526498529280
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
    Bob Harlan says Brett Favre should be in the @PackersHoF before @ProFootballHoF, suggests Favre should come back for Holmgren induction.

Wilde thinks Harlan is the man to bridge the gap: http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more...0&post_id=7568
    Looks like Packers are making the first move. Now we will see if Favre is man enough to accept it.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

None of this surprises me. I contend Favre will NOT step foot in Green Bay as long as Ted, McCarthy and Murphy are still running things at 1265. And for some fans more time should pass before their is any reconciliation.