Page 457 of 563 FirstFirst ... 357 407 447 455 456 457 458 459 467 507 557 ... LastLast
Results 9,121 to 9,140 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Packers thinking about retiring Brett Favre's number

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-favres-number-

Packers thinking about retiring Brett Favre's number

By Gregg Rosenthal ...Around The League editor

Published: May 18, 2012 at 08:09 a.m.
    Updated: May 18, 2012 at 09:37 a.m.

"The breakup between Brett Favre and the Packers was ugly, like most high-profile breakups. The team, secure in the knowledge that it made the right choice to let Favre go, hopes that a little time heals all wounds.

The team plans to retire Brett Favre's number in a year or two, when it is meaningful to Favre.

(Translation: When the emotions have subsided some. And when we're absolutely sure Favre isn't going to play again.)" Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

We've a thread dedicated to Brett Favre. I decided this news would make it acceptable as it's own thread. If that's not best for the health of Packerrats it may be 'of course' moved to the FAVRE thread.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Retire the number when he gets in the HOF. Should be long enough away for most of the bad blood to have boiled off while we bask in the thrid SB win under AR and TT.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    You all ain't gonna win shit

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Retire the number when he gets in the HOF. Should be long enough away for most of the bad blood to have boiled off while we bask in the thrid SB win under AR and TT.
    No..too much like 'sour grapes'.

The Packer organization should take the bull by the horns and retire Favre's number after talking to Favre RE: just this.

The Packer Organization is too big for small insignificant backwards stances that have zero to do with any NOW!

GO PACKERS !

** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    You all ain't gonna win shit
    Deputy Nutz. I respect your stance on this issue. You represent the hard line opposition to the Favre haters.

Gradually the rest of us have been reduced to aiming for a compromise or common sence just to get some PEACE on this forum.

a) Of course none of it can possibly do with how Brett Favre was as our teams offensive leader playing so distinguishedly.

b) How he did such a large part to restore the Packer Organization back to respectability.

Did anyone forget that...He's the only NFL player to win back to back to back NFL MVP's. Just that gets him into the NFL HOF as a first ballot candidate . How many achievements after that including the record of consecutive game starts 'all positions except kicker' get him the same honour?

It's just shameful for me to become aware of any Packer fan that would sincerely 'attempt in any way' to take that away from him. To do so and expect credibility as a Packer fan or a knowledgeable NFL fan? I've had to come to terms with that. Call upon every rational I have as a discriminating person to understand that. I always struggle with that one.

We'll likely NOT ever see another QB like Brett Favre. He was unique and wonderful. For so long the Icon of the NFL.

When it's all said and done can Packer fans forget:

c) That he was voted the 90's decade's Top QB on NFL.Com.

d) Deny that throughout two decades FAVRE was a TOP FIVE QB and dispute that and try to dispute that he was 'at least a TOP TEN QB' for consecutive decades?

e) Fault Bret Favre without answering the question. How many QB's in NFL history have been recognized by experts with that distinction in d) ?

One was Dan Marino. Brett Favre and Dan Marino. There's some fast company.

Brett Favre's number 4 'with the Packers', should be retired ASAP. Anything less than that is utter nonsence.

GO PACKERS !

As far as the Ring of Honor (or whtever it's called)....you can't get up there until you are in the HOF the way I understand it. The retired numbers are set in their own area above the rest.......are they all in the HOF?

So, his number could be retired, but potentially not on the Ring?
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    As far as the Ring of Honor (or whtever it's called)....you can't get up there until you are in the HOF the way I understand it. The retired numbers are set in their own area above the rest.......are they all in the HOF?

So, his number could be retired, but potentially not on the Ring?
    Both are gonna happen. Time heals all wounds and so long as he doesn't go off on the Packer organization he'll get the number retired. It will be a moving ceremony with lots of applause.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Nobody is going to wear #4 any time soon, whether or not they officially retire the number right now. There's no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Both are gonna happen. Time heals all wounds and so long as he doesn't go off on the Packer organization he'll get the number retired. It will be a moving ceremony with lots of applause.
    You got that backwards: time wounds all heels.

I predict it will be a loooong time before the Packers retire #4, not because management hates Favre but because Favre's animosity toward TT would not allow him to participate in any retirement ceremony. What would it take to bring Favre back to Lambeau as a Packer whose number is being retired? TT, MM and Murphy would have to crash and burn first, and get replaced by a new adminstration that has no connection to the current one. Not gonna happen for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Smeefers, let's just say Fritz posted a revealing image that was supposed to resemble someone we used to admire in one of his lesser moments. But from what I have heard, anatomically speaking, it bore no resemblance whatsoever.
    Waaaayyyyyyyyy too big.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Yes, but by putting the willingness out there, they show that it's Favre being the baby about it, not the team.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I predict it will be a loooong time before the Packers retire #4, not because management hates Favre but because Favre's animosity toward TT would not allow him to participate in any retirement ceremony. What would it take to bring Favre back to Lambeau as a Packer whose number is being retired? TT, MM and Murphy would have to crash and burn first, and get replaced by a new adminstration that has no connection to the current one. Not gonna happen for a long time.
    I think Favre needs to make his peace with Ted Thompson while Thompson is still with the Packers. If he waits until Thompson is gone and then says "Hey everybody, I'm back!", he'll get a lot of one finger salutes. Most of the fans will come around if Favre and Thomson heal the rift, but the decision is Favre's. He has to bury the hatchet.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Instead of nixing the thread I have just deleted the post. I get how it might be humorous but it was a stupid thing to do in the Packers area.

That's a five clap admin move. Save the thread, lose the post.

I'd rep Mad, but I pretty sure he enjoys being red and underestimated.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think Favre needs to make his peace with Ted Thompson while Thompson is still with the Packers. If he waits until Thompson is gone and then says "Hey everybody, I'm back!", he'll get a lot of one finger salutes. Most of the fans will come around if Favre and Thomson heal the rift, but the decision is Favre's. He has to bury the hatchet.
    I agree, it would do quite a bit to turn fan attitudes around. It will take someone to play peacemaker and make the first calls (Campen? ), but it would be for the best.

Maybe Andrew Brandt could do it and he would have five more years of articles about the Packers and Favre to write.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

That's a five clap admin move. Save the thread, lose the post.

I'd rep Mad, but I pretty sure he enjoys being red and underestimated.
    You could always disapprove the post and write something nice in the comments...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I found my second person to add to the ignore list...

Isn't it time we finally clean the rumours and lies up at Packerrats RE: Brett Favre? Do so with some sence of humility and decent respect for one another here?

To establish the TRUTH as it exists today. To allow this Packer Forum Home to heal as it justly deserves instead of wallowing in needless animosity over a Packer GREAT.

My advice....THINK. Do you need to take on the challenge that I propose below?

hoosier you have every opportunity to back up your claims in the above. Until you do your post means 'Jackshit'. I don't believe you can supply positive proof to support that Favre continues feeing animosity over anything TT and / or MM or Murphy.

Please offer this forum ** your proof or humble yourself and stop posting nonsence.

This isn't about debate of animosty among members here. This isn't about attacking 'the poster'. This is about backing yourself up in terms of your post. This is 'about healing at Packerrats' and that's bigger than any member here.

** I do not believe you can do so in terms of the post above. Back yourself up or pleae recognize that your attitude isn't healthy for you in terms of the legacy that Brett Favre so richly deserves.

Thanks for your time. Have a Super weekend. We are enjoying a long weekend here in Canada.

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-19-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    Yes, but by putting the willingness out there, they show that it's Favre being the baby about it, not the team.
    Ohh isn't that post special; a real leap of misconception.

Read my post to hoosier and substitute hoosiers name for your own MJZiggy. It's time you get it to the TRUTH and not to something you continue to corrupt this forum with in terms of the legacy that Brett Favre deserves. Take your petiness and hatred MJZiggy and flush it. Instead of smearing it all over this forum.

You just do NOT get it in terms of Brett Favre and in that respect 'stink up the air' in Packerrats. Get over yourself please.

I give you credit for one thing . That post above by you is about as useless as last months deviled ham sandwich. In fact it's so pointlessly thought out that I'm just going to disregard it as bullshit. It stinks so much I don't even want to go near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Joemailman...if you had taken the time to get over yourself. You would by now have fully learned that 'in fact' Brett Favre holds no animosity over 'anything Green Pay Packer'. 'Of course' that includes Packer GM Ted Thompson and HC Mike McCarthy and the Green Bay Packer elected president of the executive committee Mark Murphy.

Just relax or try to contain yourself. Simply observe the TRUTH reveal itself. It would do this forum 'nor you little good' to try to 'headbang with me'.