Page 468 of 563 FirstFirst ... 368 418 458 466 467 468 469 470 478 518 ... LastLast
Results 9,341 to 9,360 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    JH, I disagree with a large percentage of your post. You claim Rodgers walked into a perfect situation? I couldn't disagree more. He had the pro-Favre crowd breathing down his neck ready to absolutely pounce on him if he failed. Let's not forget the stories about little kids swearing at him at training camp. I don't think it's a stretch to say many of the Favre fans wanted Rodgers to fail. If Rodgers had come out and stuggled, the media and Packer fans (not just Favre fans) would have crucified TT for pissing away a SB chance. Rodgers had a TON of pressure on him and lesser QB's would have certainly wilted.

I also think a lot of Favre's antics will be forgotten as time passes as well, and he will be remembered for the risk-taking country boy that Madden and others liked to pass him off for. Most NFL fans won't remember the timeline of everything that happened from January 2008 onward.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Most NFL fans won't remember the timeline of everything that happened from January 2008 onward.
    So we never forget...

January, 2006: It begins. Favre drops the word "undecided" on an ESPN Sunday Conversation , stating that if he "had to pick right now," he's "not coming back."

April, 2006: Just your everyday harmless decision NOT to retire, as Favre announces he'll be playing with the Packers once again. Everyone in Green Bay takes shots of beercheese to celebrate. The Onion , obviously wise before the rest of the world, mocks Favre for his indecision.

May 6, 2006: Favre holds a press conference in which he renounces his comments that he would retire after 2006 and states that he may keep playing past that year.

December 2006: Favre nearly cries on television after getting a standing ovation from the freaking Bears FANS during the final game of the 2006 season, because everyone understands he's actually retiring this time.

February 2007: I'm so excited. I just can't hide it. And so is Brett, as the 37-year-old unretires. Again.

January 2008: Packers lose to the Giants in the NFC Championship Game, but MY GOD, what a way to go out for a true legend, huh? A 13-3 record, MVP chatter, everyone forgetting that he basically did the same thing as Michael Jordan on the Wizards ... just legendary stuff in terms of timing if he retires now.

March 2008: Favre weeps while giving an awesome retirement speech , stating that he has "no regrets" because he "played the game one way" -- "the only way [he] knew how."

July 2008: Favre gets an "itch" to play again. RUH. ROH. Suddenly, Favre was "never fully committed" to retiring and the Packers and No. 4 are involved in a very public and awkward melee that results in Favre telling Fox News that the Packers "pressured" him and that they should let him "play elsewhere."

August 2008: Bretty's granted reinstatement by the NFL! He then harasses Green Bay in training camp until they trade him to the Jets.

September 2008: Favre throws six touchdowns (a career high!) as the Jets throttle the Cardinals and appear to be rolling towards the playoffs.

December 2008: Favre melts down during the stretch run, as the Jets go 1-3 and miss the playoffs.

February 2009: Favre retires. FOR THE ELEVENTY BILLIONTH TIME. He jokes, "I have no reason to wonder why you would be so skeptical."

April 2009: The Jets, ready to go in a "different direction," release Favre.

May 2009: Favre has surgery. Because, obviously, that's what people who are retired and want to ride on tractors do, right?

June 2009: Inexplicably, Favre considers playing for the Packers arch-rival, the Vikings. This is considered something along the lines of finding out that George Washington is actually French.

July 2009: Favre decides NOT to join Vikings, thus ending the retiring the possibility that he would retire from retirement. Or something.

August 2009: Favre UNRETIRES, joins the Vikings.

October 2009: Favre gets booed at Lambeau Field and then proceeds to beat the Green Bay Packers.

January 2010: Ole' No. 4 wins a playoff game at age 40 and sings "Pants on the Ground" in the locker room . Then he proceeds to throw an interception to end the Vikings shot at a Super Bowl.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    By golly, it's all coming back to me now.

Look, we had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.

But the stars on the beach are just starfish out of reach. And stuff.

I think Brent still harbors some resentment toward the Pack and Rodgers, based on his gushing over Romo and Brady, and based on his polite but reserved comments regarding Rodgers.

Do you invite that guy back for a retirement ceremony? I dunno. Seems like it'd be more tense than fun. And retirement ceremonies should be fun.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    By golly, it's all coming back to me now.

Look, we had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.

But the stars on the beach are just starfish out of reach. And stuff.

I think Brent still harbors some resentment toward the Pack and Rodgers, based on his gushing over Romo and Brady, and based on his polite but reserved comments regarding Rodgers.

Do you invite that guy back for a retirement ceremony? I dunno. Seems like it'd be more tense than fun. And retirement ceremonies should be fun.
    Just hold a series of them each year for 4 years. By the time the 4th on occurs we will be really good at it from all th epratice and it might actually be fun by then,

Yes, we should keep scheduling retirement ceremonies for him but then change our minds as often as he "retired".

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Just hold a series of them each year for 4 years. By the time the 4th on occurs we will be really good at it from all th epratice and it might actually be fun by then,
    Genius!

I might add to that a wrinkle: schedule a ceremony in 2013, call Brint at the airport and call it off. Then do a series of annual events retiring his Jets and Viking jerseys in 2014 and 2015. By 2016 the venom will be purged and we can enjoy the 20th anniversary.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    What else CAN he say about Rodgers without sounding like a jerk?
    he can't say anything without sounding like a jerk...because that's exactly what he is. people need to stop asking him questions.

Each of their stories and public perception is intertwined with their respective approaches.

Favre felt taking risks was often necessary on some of his teams because he believed he was the only one capable of pulling it off. Rodgers feels like taking unnecessary risks (and some necessary ones) simply undermine the efforts of the whole.

Neither is optimal. Favre both won and lost games on the strength of his belief in his arm (see Rams playoff game or 4th and 26). Rodgers has shown risk aversion at times when it wasn't prudent. Mr. Blonde, the otherwise vitriolic Game Day Thread complainer, correctly pointed out that Rodgers sack on 4th down near the end of the Giants playoff game was completely unproductive. A heave anywhere but OOB would have been more productive in 95% of possible outcomes.

Favre likens his situation to Romo but he still fails to see the downside. Rodgers, and this is the trait that may separate him from the rest, seems to still be learning.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

GREEN BAY – Mike Sherman – a guy who knows a thing or two about having hard feelings toward the Green Bay Packers organization – believes that iconic quarterback Brett Favre and the franchise will reconcile eventually.

Sherman, who served as the Packers head coach from 2000 through 2005 and held the dual role of being the team’s general manager from 2001 through 2004, told the Boston Globe’s Greg Bedard that he expects the two sides to come together despite their ugly breakup during the summer of 2008.

Sherman, now offensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins under former Packers assistant Joe Philbin, was relieved of his general manager duties following the 2004 season, when then-president/CEO Bob Harlan hired current GM Ted Thompson. Thompson then fired Sherman, who had considered coaching the Packers his dream job, after the Packers went 4-12 in 2005.

"I think time will pass and everything will be made right," said Sherman, who spent eight seasons with the Packers during Favre’s tenure, first as tight ends coach (1997, 1998) and then as head coach. "Green Bay has meant too much to him as a player and as a person and he's been too much for them.

"I know there's some hard feelings, maybe on both sides, but at the same time I think with time that all dissipates and he'll be welcomed back with open arms. The dust just has to settle a little bit and the pain of his exit has to heal a little bit and I think he'll be what he was. He was an icon.

"I know he loved his time in Green Bay and has phenomenal memories. I know that he cherishes every single Sunday that he went out that tunnel to the cheers of those fans. I think eventually that will heal up and be put in the past."
    Thanks Ted!

Low Profile Rat Starter
    "I knew when I left, this guy has all of the tools; he can beat you with his feet, he has a great arm, extremely accurate, handles the cast around him perfectly," Favre told Sanders.

I think it would have been interesting if Sanders would have followed up with something like, "If you knew all this, were there any seeds of doubt planted in your mind on whether or not you could win a true, open QB competition in camp in 2008?"

Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    "I knew when I left, this guy has all of the tools; he can beat you with his feet, he has a great arm, extremely accurate, handles the cast around him perfectly," Favre told Sanders.

I think it would have been interesting if Sanders would have followed up with something like, "If you knew all this, were there any seeds of doubt planted in your mind on whether or not you could win a true, open QB competition in camp in 2008?"
    I truly believe Favre did have doubts and this is why he retired in 2008 the first time and why he scoffed at the notion when Greta asked him if he'd be interested in competing for his old job. I'm sure he did not not want to risk being anybody's back-up.

Hmmm, a previous assertion of irrefutable logic is called into question. Favre resisting attending Mike Holmgren's induction into the Packer HOF?

Original Story from Wilde interviewing Bob Harlan: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278
    PFT's take: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-brett-favre/

Tweet during interview I think: https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/stat...60526498529280
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
    Bob Harlan says Brett Favre should be in the @PackersHoF before @ProFootballHoF, suggests Favre should come back for Holmgren induction.

Wilde thinks Harlan is the man to bridge the gap: http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more...0&post_id=7568
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

None of this surprises me. I contend Favre will NOT step foot in Green Bay as long as Ted, McCarthy and Murphy are still running things at 1265. And for some fans more time should pass before their is any reconciliation.

Fuck him

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hmmm, a previous assertion of irrefutable logic is called into question. Favre resisting attending Mike Holmgren's induction into the Packer HOF?

Original Story from Wilde interviewing Bob Harlan: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278
    PFT's take: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-brett-favre/

Tweet during interview I think: https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/stat...60526498529280
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
    Bob Harlan says Brett Favre should be in the @PackersHoF before @ProFootballHoF, suggests Favre should come back for Holmgren induction.

Wilde thinks Harlan is the man to bridge the gap: http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more...0&post_id=7568
    Looks like Packers are making the first move. Now we will see if Favre is man enough to accept it.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Fuck him
    THIS! the asshole just needs to be ignored.

I hope he declines. If he does come he'll become the focus and it should be about Holmgren and his induction into the Packer HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I hope he declines. If he does come he'll become the focus and it should be about Holmgren and his induction into the Packer HOF.
    I agree with you 100% pugger.

I think you guys have it all wrong. If he declines, that will be a bigger story than if he is present. He should be there, and I expect he will be.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Gazette reporting that Bus apparently didn't return the Committee's call.

Stay Classy, Bus. Stay Classy.