Page 489 of 563 FirstFirst ... 389 439 479 487 488 489 490 491 499 539 ... LastLast
Results 9,761 to 9,780 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Tell you what I'll do. I'll take a note to Brett saying Ted feels really bad and he really still likes you do you still like him?
    I don't think Ted needs to lie. I'm sure Ted doesn't feel bad about the Favre situation at all, and justifiably so. He could throw him a little tiny bone (Brett may be used to that) like the comment I suggested, just to let him know things are sortof okey dokey. But I really couldn't care less - these things never work out as planned, just ask Dick Butkis and Gayle Sayers how much they liked their 'special evening' at Soldier Field in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Well.... TT and Murphy tried to retire his number once already.
    Yea but.....

That was a left hand turn at the next intersection and on down the street to the Green and Gold house on the right hand side.

Brett Favre took a right hand turn at that same intersection to a Green and White house after directions from TT. After that ... a stay at a Purple house further on down the road.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    I've been under a lot of stress lately.

I failed a stress test last week - twenty steps on the treadmill and I was asking for my E-wheels scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    I don't think Ted needs to lie. I'm sure Ted doesn't feel bad about the Favre situation at all, and justifiably so. He could throw him a little tiny bone (Brett may be used to that) like the comment I suggested, just to let him know things are sortof okey dokey. But I really couldn't care less - these things never work out as planned, just ask Dick Butkis and Gayle Sayers how much they liked their 'special evening' at Soldier Field in 1994.
    This is simply now going to be a formality to try and end the madness that was generated by a media hungry for anything Favre news. Madness propogated by Packer fans that simply extended their 'I've had enough of losing BIG GAMES with Favre and want Aaron Rodgers behind center. That turned to hatred when he exercised his free will/freedom as a Pro to join the Minnesota Vikings; and 'of course' took the Packers down twice in the 2009 season.

I always really wondered if those hate Favre fans, actually believed he wouldn't return to win those games in 2009?

What was he supposed to do !? Fold up like a 4' X 8 ' tent ! Winning those games in 2009 'only added to his legacy...his greatness. Does anyone believe that Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy were surprized that the Packers droped those two games to the Minnesota Vikings in 2009? Was Aaron Rodgers and the Packer team ready in 2009 to handle a Brett Favre led team? The same team that nearly went to the Super Bowl that season!?

Obviously not and so why the silly hate...is the question I've always asked myself.

It's just football not a WAR between countries.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

It's just football not a WAR between countries.
    Sez Canada.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

It occurs to me that Favre's career is a good illustration of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

You drill in close enough, in a small enough time frame like woodbuck did above from imminent release to winning two games against the Packers, all the details make sense even if you get no sense of the arc of the story.

But if you look with a wider time frame, none of the details add up to the arc.

Brett's career is like a up/down Quark.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    It occurs to me that Favre's career is a good illustration of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

You drill in close enough, in a small enough time frame like woodbuck did above from imminent release to winning two games against the Packers, all the details make sense even if you get no sense of the arc of the story.

Say the fuck, what?

What in the hell is PB talking about? Can someone who isn't buzzed translate for me?

My head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Say the fuck, what?

What in the hell is PB talking about? Can someone who isn't buzzed translate for me?

My head hurts.
    I think he's saying Woodbuck is using Favre beating teh Packers twice as proof that Favre got over on the Packers and somehow got the best of them. I think PB's opinion is probably that the Packers turned out just fine, and possibly that Favre is a bitter guy, and isn't really winning anything.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I think he's saying Woodbuck is using Favre beating teh Packers twice as proof that Favre got over on the Packers and somehow got the best of them. I think PB's opinion is probably that the Packers turned out just fine, and possibly that Favre is a bitter guy, and isn't really winning anything.
    Favre got his revenge I suppose by beating us twice that year but we ended up with the trophy. I would say the Packers got the better end of that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Excellent and perfectly valid, though not what I had in mind at the time.

I think woodbuck was hinting at a point he has made before. That in retrospect, what really ticked Favre off was being told he couldn't compete for the job and win it outright. That the Packers were giving the job to Rodgers. And that might be true, but it doesn't quite tell the whole backstory on the resentment angle. From either side. That camel was weighed down by a lot of other straw at that point.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    That camel was weighed down by a lot of other straw at that point.
    I've seen some camel toes that are prettier than this thread.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I've seen some camel toes that are prettier than this thread.
    ...and some of them were on camels.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro

Charming. That's quite a spin you're putting on this story.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Favre got his revenge I suppose by beating us twice that year but we ended up with the trophy. I would say the Packers got the better end of that deal.
    I don't see it as anyone getting the better end of any deal. The Green Bay Packers decided to terminate Brett Favre as their NO. 1 QB in lieu of Aaron Rodgers.

Ted Thompson traded Brett Favre to NFL Siberia or the New York Jets. We saw Brett Favre re-generate 'the Jets' during the 2008 season. Elevating them from a 4 win season in 2007 to 10 wins and an almost playoff berth in 2008. After that 2008 season, Brett Favre advised the New York Jets that they should not count on his services in the 2009 season or find another QB. As you may re-call as that season concluded Brett Favre's arm was impaired (with a shoulder injury ) as I re-call it.

Subsequently .... the Minnesota Vikings came calling and Brett Favre became their starting QB and had one of the greatest seasons in his career. That season 'of course' include two games vs the Green Bay Packers and as it turned out. Both victories for the Minnesota Vikings. There had to be a winner and a loser. It simply turned out that the loser was the Green Bay Packers.

This idea that Brett Favre took some circuitous route to get revenge on Ted Thompson is IMO simply foolish thinking on the part of simple minds. People that need to make too much of really nothing.

Countless times Brett Favre has said publicly that he didn't hold resentment against Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy. 'In fact' Brett Favre has openly stated that loved his time as a Green Bay Packer, loved his fellow teammates and loved Green Bay Packer fans.

Favre had his time in the NFL as a Green Bay Packer and that had to end as it was time for Aaron Rodgers to step up. With Aaron Rodgers steering the Packers offense, we enjoyed our fourth Super Bowl win after a successful playoff run following the 2010 season.

It's simply a matter of history and nothing more than that. I'll try to explain it as I saw the Favre - Packers divorce go down. Try to do that in subsequent posts.

Some here at Packerrats may re-call a little story that I composed way back in the Spring of 2006. When some of us were posting on JSO. I set that story in the winter following the 2004 season and playoffs. To re-cap that 2004 season:

The 2004 season started with the Packers losing four of their first five games, then winning their next six games, and finally winning three of their final five regular season games. The Packers season ended in a Wild Card playoff (31-17 loss) to the Minnesota Vikings. The Green Bay Packers took the NFCN Championship in 2004; and finished with an overall record of 10-7.

It's difficult to defeat an NFL team 3X in a season; yet 'in review' that total loss was inexcusable. We had defeated the Vikings 2X in close games by identical 34-31 scores. In the 'Wild card' game the Minnesota Vikings had a response to those two Packer regular season close wins.

I felt that Brett Favre looked terrible in that Wild card playoff loss. In particular the way he acted on what should have been a sure scoring drive late in that game; that might have set up a comeback win. A close friend of mine watching that game with me was enraged at Brett Favre. I was unable to defend Favre after that 'no' performance. That loss stuck with me for months. I re-call clearly feeling that the writing was 'now clearly on the wall;' and that Favre was about done as the Green Bay Packer starting QB.

Again back at JSO and in the Spring of 2006 when I was meeting some of the current Packerrat I wrote this little story, about a group of men at an ice fishing shack after the embarrassing Brett Favre and Green Bay Packer performance Vs the Minnesota Vikings in that playoff Wild Card game at Lambeau field. It's so difficult to defeat an NFL team 3X in a season. Yet ... 'in review' that total loss was inexcuseable in terms of Brett Favre, who simply stunk up the joint.

We had defeated the Vikings 2X during that 2004 season by identical 34-31 scores; but in this game the Vikings got out of the gate fast and never looked back. It was one of those 'what have you done for me today' ... things. Brett Favre had a solid 2004 season. 4,088 yards passing and 30 TD's; but that playoff loss looked bad on him.

This group of men at the ice shack included the then HC and GM of the Packers, Mike Sherman, who was about to lose that second title as Packer GM to Ted Thompson. Others present...the President and CEO of the Green Bay Packers and some prominent members of the Packers Board. Those present informed Mike Sherman that he would be relieved as Packer GM in the near future. They also informed Sherman that Brett Favre's days as an active Green Bay Packer were coming to an end.

Brett Favre hung on for three more seasons, but the young QB taken in the first round of the 2005 draft (Aaron Rodgers) was designated; and 'in fact' would succeed him. All good things must come to an end. Favre's days as a Green Bay Packer were coming to a conclusion. Those in power were soured by Favre's antics; and especially so by what he did and didn't do in that playoff loss to the Vikings.

Ted Thompson took over as the Packer GM in that 2004-05 off season. Three seasons down the road the relationship with Favre and Thompson and the Green Bay Packers had come to an end. Unfortunately it didn't go down quietly but rather ended like a tragic divorce.

It didn't have to be that way if the Green Bay Packers simply released Brett Favre. The fact that Favre was coming off such a tremendous season in 2007 and as runner up NFL MVP made it rather difficult. Men like Brett Favre are rare. Men like Brett Favre don't go away easily.

Brett Favre, it was decided; must step down as the starting QB of the Green Bay Packers. Neither bribes nor blame was going to thwart Favre's desire to win another Super Bowl ring.

That didn't mean that his days as an NFL QB should end as Ted Thompson/Mark Murphy and the Green Bay Packers tried so hard to determine as fact. We're talking about Brett Favre; not some ordinary Pro athlete. We're talking Brett Favre ...LEGEND. We're talking about a man that was determined to get back to the Super Bowl and win a second ring. We're talking about a simple man with simple ideals that certainly deserved his 'Freedom Of Rights' as a member of a Democratic Society.

Any Packer fan that continues to be confused by this. Had better look up the definition of fascism. Had better re-examine the God given privilege he/she deserves being an American citizen. The same privilege that Brett Favre deserved and that including any potential outcome after the Green Bay Packers rejected his will to continue as their starting QB.

It's really that simple Packer fans. If you don't get it...try harder.

Being where I am is too ...... . Why !? It's always going to be 'the right side' of the fence.

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-22-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Woody, I think all the nuances of 1999 suggested the ultimate form for the demise of the Favre era. Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    Woody, I think all the nuances of 1999 suggested the ultimate form for the demise of the Favre era. Please elaborate.
    Ohh goodness Cleft. I'll need time to review that.

PACKERS !

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I don't see it as anyone getting the better end of any deal. The Green Bay Packers decided to terminate Brett Favre as their NO. 1 QB in lieu of Aaron Rodgers.

Ted Thompson traded Brett Favre to NFL Siberia or the New York Jets. We saw Brett Favre re-generate 'the Jets' during the 2008 season. Elevating them from a 4 win season in 2007 to 10 wins and an almost playoff berth in 2008. After that 2008 season, Brett Favre advised the New York Jets that they should not count on his services in the 2009 season or find another QB. As you may re-call as that season concluded Brett Favre's arm was impaired (with a shoulder injury ) as I re-call it.

Subsequently .... the Minnesota Vikings came calling and Brett Favre became their starting QB and had one of the greatest seasons in his career. That season 'of course' include two games vs the Green Bay Packers and as it turned out. Both victories for the Minnesota Vikings. There had to be a winner and a loser. It simply turned out that the loser was the Green Bay Packers.

This idea that Brett Favre took some circuitous route to get revenge on Ted Thompson is IMO simply foolish thinking on the part of simple minds. People that need to make too much of really nothing.

Countless times Brett Favre has said publicly that he didn't hold resentment against Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy. 'In fact' Brett Favre has openly stated that loved his time as a Green Bay Packer, loved his fellow teammates and loved Green Bay Packer fans.

Favre had his time in the NFL as a Green Bay Packer and that had to end as it was time for Aaron Rodgers to step up. With Aaron Rodgers steering the Packers offense, we enjoyed our fourth Super Bowl win after a successful playoff run following the 2010 season.

It's simply a matter of history and nothing more than that. I'll try to explain it as I saw the Favre - Packers divorce go down. Try to do that in subsequent posts.

Some here at Packerrats may re-call a little story that I composed way back in the Spring of 2006. When some of us were posting on JSO. I set that story in the winter following the 2004 season and playoffs. To re-cap that 2004 season:

The 2004 season started with the Packers losing four of their first five games, then winning their next six games, and finally winning three of their final five regular season games. The Packers season ended in a Wild Card playoff (31-17 loss) to the Minnesota Vikings. The Green Bay Packers took the NFCN Championship in 2004; and finished with an overall record of 10-7.

It's difficult to defeat an NFL team 3X in a season; yet 'in review' that total loss was inexcusable. We had defeated the Vikings 2X in close games by identical 34-31 scores. In the 'Wild card' game the Vikings got out of the gate fast and never looked back.

I felt that Brett Favre looked terrible in that Wild card playoff loss. In particular the way he acted on what should have been a sure scoring drive late in that game; that might have set up a comeback win. A close friend of mine watching that game with me was enraged at Brett Favre. I was unable to defend Favre after that 'no' performance. That loss stuck with me for months. I re-call clearly feeling that the writing was 'now clearly on the wall' and that Favre was about done as the Green Bay Packer starting QB.

Again back at JSO and in the Spring of 2006 when I was meeting some of the current Packerrats. I wrote this little story about a group of men at an ice fishing shack after the embarrassing Brett Favre and Green Bay Packer performance Vs the Minnesota Vikings in that playoff Wild Card game at Lambeau field. It's so difficult to defeat an NFL team 3X in a season; yet 'in review' that total loss was inexcuseable and Favre simply stunk up the joint. We had defeated the Vikings 2X during that 2004 season by identical 34-31 scores but in this game the Vikings got out of the gate fast and never looked back. It was one of those 'what have you done for me today' ... things. Brett Favre had a solid season with 4,088 yards passing and 30 TD's; but that playoff loss looked bad on him as I saw it.

This group of men at the ice shack included the then HC and GM of the Packers, Mike Sherman. Who was about to lose that second title as Packer GM to Ted Thompson. The President and CEO of the Green Bay Packers and some prominent members of the Packers Board. The other members there informed Mike Sherman that he would be relieved as Packer GM in the near future. They also informed Sherman that Brett Favre's days as an active Green Bay Packer were coming to an end.

Brett Favre hung on for three more seasons, but the young QB taken in the first round of the 2005 draft (Aaron Rodgers) was designated; and 'in fact' would succeed him. All good things must come to an end. Favre's days as a Green Bay would end.

That didn't mean that his days as an NFL QB should end as Ted Thompson/Mark Murphy and the Green Bay Packers tried so hard to determine as fact. We're talking about Brett Favre here; not some ordinary Pro athlete. We're talking Brett Favre ...LEGEND. We're talking about a man that was determined to get back to the Super Bowl and win a second ring. We're talking about a simple man with simple ideals that certainly deserved his 'Freedom Of Rights' as a member of a Democratic Society.

Any Packer fan that continues to be confused by this. Had better look up the definition of fascism. Had better re-examine the God given privilege he/she deserves being an American citizen. The same privilege that Brett Favre deserved and that including any potential outcome after the Green Bay Packers rejected his will to continue as their starting QB.

It's really that simple Packer fans. If you don't get it...try harder.

GO PACKERS !
    I really need to have this in a constant copy and paste for replies to you

Calling Matt Millen and giving him insight into the Packer offense
    Blocking off hotel rooms in GB the weekend of the GB/MIN game while still under contract with the Jets
    Telling Urlacher to beat the Packers and keep them out of the playoffs

Yes yes...nothing to see here

Go PACK

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Woody forgets a few things in his BF history.

1. BF asked for his release from the NY Jets, he was still under contract. The owner said no. BF promise he was really done this time and wanted his release and then retire. NYJ owner final released BF. BF pulls his I gone play/ not play dance and finally signs with the Queens.
    2. Minnesota Vikings investigated for tampering with BF during the summer of 2008.
    3. GB already tried to retire BF's number once.

Any way, GB sure got the better end of the deal. If we had kept BF for 2008-2010 maybe we make the Super Bowl but then we have no QB for the future. Instead we have ARod , a Super Bowl and another superstar QB in the fold for 7 more years during his prime.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Woody forgets a few things in his BF history.

1. BF asked for his release from the NY Jets, he was still under contract. The owner said no. BF promise he was really done this time and wanted his release and then retire. NYJ owner final released BF. BF pulls his I gone play/ not play dance and finally signs with the Queens.
    2. Minnesota Vikings investigated for tampering with BF during the summer of 2008.
    3. GB already tried to retire BF's number once.

Any way, GB sure got the better end of the deal. If we had kept BF for 2008-2010 maybe we make the Super Bowl but then we have no QB for the future. Instead we have ARod , a Super Bowl and another superstar QB in the fold for 7 more years during his prime.
    Try to get your facts straight.

a) Favre had little difficulty getting his release from the NY Jets. He was totally up front in advising the Jets management that they had better find a stating QB for the 2009 season and subsequently was released with little fanfare.

b) The Minnesota Vikings were determined to NOT be guilty of any tampering charge by the Green Bay Backers against them, by the NFL HO. So given that as 'a fact'. Why bring that nonsense up. What's your point!?

c) What on earth is wrong with you!? How in the sake of anything rational could the Green Bay Packers retire Brett Favre's number? Do that on the day and time when he was playing in the NFL elsewhere; and that caused by their ( The Green Bay Packers) own doing that subsequently led to the rest. The Green Bay Packers 'traded Brett Favre', to the New York Jets. It was soon revealed after that trade was announced. That Brett Favre would 'in fact' report to the New York Jets to play the 2008 season.

Straighten up - stand up and walk straight. Try to get real and simply open your mind a tad more ... get the blinders off. It's refreshing to see matters in a sense of TRUTH.

GO PACK GO !