Page 491 of 563 FirstFirst ... 391 441 481 489 490 491 492 493 501 541 ... LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,820 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I know you're joking, but Peyton is 34. Who knows how much longer he'll play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I was only half joking. It wouldn't be a shock at all if Manning only played another 3 seasons or so. It also wouldn't be a shock if he is still playing 5 or 6 years from now. He doesn't seem to have any significant recurring physical issues, his performance hasn't declined, so he could last a long time yet, if he wants to.
    Bump.

Nearly came true. Manning was out all of 2011 and there was no guarantee he would be able to return in 2012. Brett nearly made it through 2010 (13 games).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    OK. So the ice fishing story was what you imagined happening at the time, because of the team's (and possibly your) disillusionment? Disillusionment that passed when Favre regained his mojo in 2007?

Do I have a bead on it now?
    Heck no pbmax.

I'm merely a Green Bay Packer fan and a very little part, of what is an immense Packer Nation. I can't get all wrapped up in the everyday actions or inevitabilities of all things Green Bay Packer. I've been a sports fan for longer than most here on this board have breathed, belched and farted. I certainly realize when any, for lack of a better term, 'writing is on the wall'.

I'm actually surprized looking back on it all; that Brett Favre survived his actions in that Minny 'Wild card' playoff, 31-17 loss on Jan. 09, 2005.

Yet... on the brighter side as a Packer fan that must endure and accept all things Packer. The proof of that being the fact I'd be a member of 'the half century club' as a Green Bay Packer fan, if there was such a thing. By the way, if that does exist please point me in the direction of the application form.

That Brett Favre went on to lead the Green Bay Packers for three more seasons is another testament to his longevity and greatness.

I re-call very well how I felt, on the day that Brett Favre finally escaped the 'no help for him' ways of Ted Thompson. The stuff that was negative between Favre and Thompson and preceded anything post 2007 and NFC Championship playoff loss to the New York GIANTS at Lambeau field.

In my view Brett Favre was mercifully traded to the New York Jets by Ted Thompson with a little push from the NFL HO. Brett Favre 'in a ball cap and holding a clip board', was beyond ugly to imagine. I was overjoyed for Brett Favre's new good fortune. His new NFL life....the adding to his legacy.

As long as Brett Favre wanted to play football and could do so very well I was going to remain intrigued as an NFL fan.

We're into a whole different discussion here on this thread now. My goal is simple. To see this board align for the greater part, for the greater good in terms of certain good taste and manners >>>>karma. To arrive in support of Brett Favre and his receiving the honor of the ceremony he certainly and richly deserves.

So many Packer fans fail to place themselves in his shoes when he decided that he wanted to return to the Green Bay Packers again for the 2008 season. When the Green Bay Packers just wanted him too, in terms of playing another NFL game, simply and clearly go away. That to the extent of almost 2/3's fulfilling the remainder of his contract with what must have constituted to him and in terms of his focus and goal 'a simple bribe' of $20 million$.

Do you realize the insult that offered to Brett Favre and to any Packer fans that did enjoy his contributions as a Green Bay Packer. That was terribly mishandled in terms of any proper regards or respect for Brett Favre and his rights of freedom as an American citizen and Pro athlete.

If that insult has been forgiven by Brett Favre. My question is why hold any of the mistakes he made in this ugly divorce with the Packers against him.

Once the Green Bay Packers traded Brett Favre. Any consequences of that decision against the Green Bay Packers must lie with that decision. This is exactly 'a no brainer'. End of story.

Looking at that trade of Brett Favre to the New York Jets closer.

Have you ever got down to listing all of the truly great Pro sports athletes in the four major sports of NFL football, MLB, NBA and NHL; that were traded from their original team and went on to be later honoured in their original teams HOF and their leagues HOF?

Here's another inside on that trade and me. I'm first and foremost a Green Bay Packer fan. As loud as I may cheer. As much as I might hope that my Packers win every game. The realist in me knows that's impossible. The realist in me knew full well, that one day Brett Favre would no longer lead my team.

As I wrote above. I was so relieved to see the relationship 'no relationship', between Brett Favre and Ted Thompson come to a halt. We certainly knew that Favre's last season as a Packer didn't start out very well over TT's bungling efforts in landing Randy Moss. I'm merely mentioning that as a clear example of what Brett Favre may have felt was 'non support' on the behalf of his teams GM. I look at that as simply another example of where Ted Thompson is lacking and in my observation hasn't grown.

Yet this and the Brett Favre trade, as a man that always looks for 'the silver lining' as the best outcome:

I was happy for Aaron Rodgers to finally get the ball to lead the Packer offense. In my view it was his time and 'now or forever gone'. The risks of losing the heir apparent to Brett Favre (if Brett Favre had been allowed to lead the Green Bay Packers again in the 2008 season) was evident.

In my final view and as it now remains. Everyone was a winner to some degree. The 'who bested who thingy.

That's for other people (other Packer fans) to flurry about and to amuse themselves in tireless pointless discussion.

The bottom line and to this Packer fan it's really and truly all this:

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    Which three players are the Packer going to have to send to Mississippi to talk Bert into coming to Green Bay? Do you suppose Chilly will be available to pick him up at the airport?
    Awesome funny post LP.

X NO. 4 X 10 !

Good one Packer fan.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

It also means that something close to 23 GMs have no brains.
    Ohh ... come on pb.

You obviously can distinguish the difference between the terms 'a no brainer' and 'no brains'.

When Aaron Rodgers was sitting on his haunches, as round one of the draft reached it's final third stage and wondering if he'd ever be picked. Ted Thompson took hold of an obvious feather for his cap; having for some time the prospective NO. 1 draft pick >>>>>> fall to him.

That pick like many other GM's 1st Round picks might have turned out to be a bust. As we now enjoy Aaron Rodgers. TT's picking him might even be considered brilliant by all but 'the less' naïve.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I seem to remember you were a big Favre fan.
    weren't we all? the orchestrated move to minn, and all subsequent events, ended that.

Mother of God.

Are we conducting yet another post-mortem on this?

Or is everyone just responding the ravings of one very passionate yet deluded and possibly crazy Canadian?

Fuggit, I'll bite because I want to be a team player and get this crappy thread to 500.

IMO, Favre is a narcissistic douche. He is an immature, self-serving, self-centered, dickpick-taking middle age man who failed miserably at transitioning into that middle age.

He was perhaps the best regular season player of all time. His best moments were truly breath-taking. He is a first round HOFer and deserves to have his number retired by the Packers.

IMO, there is no need to delve too deeply into the man-child's psyche when pondering his messy separation from the Packers. His feelings were hurt and he reacted the way a spoiled and over-indulged child reacts when their feeelings are hurt. He/she throws a tantrum. (Now if I were to go Freudian here, I would say his powerful reaction stemmed from deep-seated feelings of rejection and not being good enough to please ole' Irv. Or not.)

TT is a great GM. he and M3 handled the divorce pretty well although there were some real cockups. I still don't get the locker thing.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Ted Thompson traded Brett Favre to NFL Siberia or the New York Jets. We saw Brett Favre re-generate 'the Jets' during the 2008 season. Elevating them from a 4 win season in 2007 to 10 wins and an almost playoff berth in 2008. After that 2008 season, Brett Favre advised the New York Jets that they should not count on his services in the 2009 season or find another QB. As you may re-call as that season concluded Brett Favre's arm was impaired (with a shoulder injury ) as I re-call it.
    For accuracy's sake, the Jets finished with 9 wins (not 10) in 2008. Favre threw for 22 TDs (6 in one game) and 22 interceptions. I think Rodgers would be so embarrassed with those stats that he'd probably retire if he ever had stats that bad. Mostly joking. Favre was a bit better than his stats, but Thompson made the right decision. Favre couldn't get it down late in the season in cold weather come playoff time anymore. It was time to give the reins to the young guy (who Thompson knew happened to be ultra-talented, even if nobody else did).
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Mother of God.

Or is everyone just responding the ravings of one very passionate yet deluded and possibly crazy Canadian?

Fuggit, I'll bite because I want to be a team player and get this crappy thread to 500.

IMO, Favre is a narcissistic douche. He is an immature, self-serving, self-centered, dickpick-taking middle age man who failed miserably at transitioning into that middle age.

He was perhaps the best regular season player of all time. His best moments were truly breath-taking. He is a first round HOFer and deserves to have his number retired by the Packers.

IMO, there is no need to delve too deeply into the man-child's psyche when pondering his messy separation from the Packers. His feelings were hurt and he reacted the way a spoiled and over-indulged child reacts when their feeelings are hurt. He/she throws a tantrum. (Now if I were to go Freudian here, I would say his powerful reaction stemmed from deep-seated feelings of rejection and not being good enough to please ole' Irv. Or not.)

TT is a great GM. he and M3 handled the divorce pretty well although there were some real cockups. I still don't get the locker thing.
    Man, this is exactly how I feel.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Ohh ... come on pb.

You obviously can distinguish the difference between the terms 'a no brainer' and 'no brains'.

When Aaron Rodgers was sitting on his haunches, as round one of the draft reached it's final third stage and wondering if he'd ever be picked. Ted Thompson took hold of an obvious feather for his cap; having for some time the prospective NO. 1 draft pick >>>>>> fall to him.

That pick like many other GM's 1st Round picks might have turned out to be a bust. As we now enjoy Aaron Rodgers. TT's picking him might even be considered brilliant by all but 'the less' naïve.
    Its a play on words woodbuck.

And only in retrospect can the pick be called an obvious feather in his cap or a no-brainer. Rodgers was not a mortal lock for the top of the first round like Elway, Manning or Luck. And it wasn't a position of immediate need. The fact that he is an All Pro now doesn't make the decision any less risky.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm actually surprized looking back on it all; that Brett Favre survived his actions in that Minny 'Wild card' playoff, 31-17 loss on Jan. 09, 2005.

snip

That Brett Favre went on to lead the Green Bay Packers for three more seasons is another testament to his longevity and greatness.
    Thank you for answering my question. I was curious about what the ice fishing story was meant to tell us.

Have you ever got down to listing all of the truly great Pro sports athletes in the four major sports of NFL football, MLB, NBA and NHL; that were traded from their original team and went on to be later honoured in their original teams HOF and their leagues HOF?
    This is rhetorical, right? Because the list is very long and I am sure you would know even more Hockey players on it than I would.

Mother of God.

Right on GC. He, like many other pro athletes, has Peter Pan Syndrome. Never forced to grow up, and then for some reason we're surprised when they act like children.

He burned bridges on purpose on his way out of town and has done nothing publicly to build them up again. We really need to put this thing to bed once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    For accuracy's sake, the Jets finished with 9 wins (not 10) in 2008. Favre threw for 22 TDs (6 in one game) and 22 interceptions. I think Rodgers would be so embarrassed with those stats that he'd probably retire if he ever had stats that bad. Mostly joking. Favre was a bit better than his stats, but Thompson made the right decision. Favre couldn't get it down late in the season in cold weather come playoff time anymore. It was time to give the reins to the young guy (who Thompson knew happened to be ultra-talented, even if nobody else did).
    Yes Harvey. Thanks 'a bunch' for your analysis of my post and appropriate correction (s).

'YOU' always being exempt from any error. I wouldn't expect less from you. That including pointing out 'any negative'.

Thanks again Harvey.

Yet ... wasn't it nice for Brett Favre to land with a real team in the 2009 season? A team in the same conference and same division as his former team the Green Bay Packers.

Why not this Harvey?:

Would you care to post the Minnesota Vikings record with Brett Favre behind center in 2009? If so and while your at it. Post Favre's stat's with the Vikings in 2009. I'm sure you would agree such a post demonstrates just how much Brett Favre had in his tank after the Green Bay Packers tried to force him out of the NFL. Just how much 'the Legend' was extended and might have been extended; less the dirty tactics of the NO Saints in the 2009 Season NFC Championship game.

It's all that positive stuff I'll be re-calling when I cheer the loudest for Brett Favre when his number is retired and he enters the Green Bay Packers HOF.

While the likes of you will still be tasting 'sour grapes'. The wine will be so sweet for me.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-23-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Thank you for answering my question. I was curious about what the ice fishing story was meant to tell us.

This is rhetorical, right? Because the list is very long and I am sure you would know even more Hockey players on it than I would.
    The list is...................................very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Right on GC. He, like many other pro athletes, has Peter Pan Syndrome. Never forced to grow up, and then for some reason we're surprised when they act like children.

He burned bridges on purpose on his way out of town and has done nothing publicly to build them up again. We really need to put this thing to bed once and for all.
    If your in your early 40's and your employer informed you that your being replaced in your position by another employee.

On top of that your also being forced into retirement; and 'of course' with a 'Separation Package' that includes 'only 2/3's of your next prorated three years salary. For which you will be asked to do occasional public appearances on behalf of the company that canned you.

Also....that by accepting this 'Separation Package' you will remain retired forever.

How in hell would that grab your ass, Zool? Would you be grateful too ecstatically pleased?

Mother of God.

Hello George.

I'm simply interested and not by this post feeling any need of defending my sanity. I am sane and so much so that I defer from launching attacks on posters here that clearly deserve such. That except in exceptional cases when it's 'just wrong' to sit idly by when some cornpone idiot is planting his /her damaging to the forum agenda.

Is it generally the case and you? That whenever someone takes a position different than you might take. That that person is automatically .....crazy?

Also just something to think about. Don't mix up excessive passion for anyone's fervour to see it right.

GO PACK GO !

If your in your early 40's and your employer informed you that your being replaced in your position by another employee.

On top of that your also being forced into retirement; and 'of course' with a 'Separation Package' that includes 'only 2/3's of your next prorated three years salary. For which you will be asked to do occasional public appearances on behalf of the company that canned you.

Also....that by accepting this 'Separation Package' you will remain retired forever.

How in hell would that grab your ass, Zool? Would you be grateful too ecstatically pleased?
    You have sussed out the Packers power play, but do you see Favre's power play?

Jumbo Rat HOFer

If I retired from my job and the company I worked for replaced me with someone else I would realize I did a pretty stupid thing and be happy that the company offered me 2/3 of my salary to do public appearances.

If I had a non-compete and still wanted to work I would go to my ex-employer and find a suitable arrangement for me to work someplace else knowing my position was already filled and it wouldn't be fair to the new guy to ask management to can-his-ass so I could get my old job back that I retired from.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    If I retired from my job and the company I worked for replaced me with someone else I would realize I did a pretty stupid thing and be happy that the company offered me 2/3 of my salary to do public appearances.

If I had a non-compete and still wanted to work I would go to my ex-employer and find a suitable arrangement for me to work someplace else knowing my position was already filled and it wouldn't be fair to the new guy to ask management to can-his-ass so I could get my old job back that I retired from.
    You can't keep giving people the answers in advance of the test Dan!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    You can't keep giving people the answers in advance of the test Dan!
    Sorry about jumping too far ahead.

Here's another point I was just thinking of, if BF was truly the "wronged" party in the GB Packer break-up, why let your family members wear ThanksTed Viking jerseys? He could have taken the high road but didn't.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

In your scenario, am I a professional athlete? Have I "retired" 3 times already? Has that company given me $100,000,000?