Page 492 of 563 FirstFirst ... 392 442 482 490 491 492 493 494 502 542 ... LastLast
Results 9,821 to 9,840 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

That's the part no one remembers now. Everyone who had not been paying close attention thought he and M3 were out of their mind. That it could not be explained as anything other than a moral and personal failure.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    If I retired from my job and the company I worked for replaced me with someone else I would realize I did a pretty stupid thing and be happy that the company offered me 2/3 of my salary to do public appearances.

If I had a non-compete and still wanted to work I would go to my ex-employer and find a suitable arrangement for me to work someplace else knowing my position was already filled and it wouldn't be fair to the new guy to ask management to can-his-ass so I could get my old job back that I retired from.
    I'd like to break your post down, into two parts for simplicity sake.

Of course... we're referring to Brett Favre, and not you or I or anyone else and any capability, in terms related to stupidity, ThunderDan. We're focusing on an attempt at some consideration for Brett Favre's feelings. That specifically given his 2007 season:

What is this 'stupid thing' you make reference too ThunderDan? Something stupid and Brett Favre !?

I'm curious of your response. Given that Brett Favre has an ego and an extreme measure of determination demonstrated by his owning the record book for NFL QB stats. That and his amazing 'almost super human' record for longevity and endurance. Favre's standing record for consecutive NFL game starts not just for NFL QB's but among all regular position players.

Add all that to this:

'Of course'... your aware that Brett Favre played arguably his most outstanding season in 2007 and was runner-up NFL MVP !

So again Thunderdan....what was this 'stupid thing' that he did to lose his No. 1 QB job with the Green Bay Packers?

Now this:

" If I had a non-compete and still wanted to work I would go to my ex-employer and find a suitable arrangement for me to work someplace else knowing my position was already filled and[B] it wouldn't be fair to the new guy to ask management to can-his-ass so I could get my old job back that I retired from. " ThunderDan

Favre didn't ask the Packers to can Aaron Rodgers ass. Please don't add any more of your muck to the facts...Thanks. In fact, given the obvious that Brett Favre wanted and felt he deserved his job back...Favre felt bad for Aaron Rodgers. Brett Favre's on record saying as much ThunderDan. Brett Favre isn't 'the really bad man' that you and some here want to paint him as.

Why don't you take the time to read more about this whole thing and at least be fair to yourself or look for 'the TRUTH'? This certainly isn't as you prefer a neat 'black or white' issue and Brett Favre and Packers divorce.

Favre simply asked for a fair chance to compete for the NO. 1 starting QB position, after he decided to return to the Green Bay Packers for the 2008 season. He knew that he would easily smother Aaron Rodgers in any such competition. Aaron Rodgers was prepared for a real fight with Brett Favre in TC but the 'reality bell' had to be ringing for him. Aaron Rodgers had to know that it was sure beginning again to look like another season, at least starting off with him holding a clip board, as so many other QB's had been re-buffed by Brett Favre to do.

I believe that MM also knew that Favre would win out if there was a real competition and that a competition would 'only' offer awkwardness. Such 'a competition' would be in the full sight of Packer fans. There were still many Brett Favre fans remaining in Packer Nation. The greatest issue was that that scenario would very likely lead Aaron Rodgers out of Green Bay.

It got down to the reality of the matter.The problem was that MM clearly informed Favre that he would be welcomed back in the fold and allowed to compete but would be designated the #2 QB in all Pre- Season games and so as we often see MM do. Talk out both sides of his mouth.

This is Brett Favre we're talking about and this competition ... 'no competition' ... wasn't going to wash. Favre was getting pretty well used up on the BS that was coming from MM and an almost always absent or invisible Ted Thompson.

Thus the request for an outright release and with a 'no' there .... a trade. Ted Thompson even screwed that one up in terms of 'any decency and respect' for Brett Favre.

PACKERS !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    what was this 'stupid thing'
    He retired.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    To your response.

1. The stupid thing BF did was retire. No one forced him to retire. No one made him go on TV with Deanne next to him and retire. At that point the Packers needed to move on. Not doing so would have been stupid. If TT and MM had done nothing and hoped that BF returned for 2008 I would have called for them to be fired. TT &MM committed to ARod which any team in the NFL would have done.
    2. If BF came back to the Pack and got the starting position he is basically canning Rodgers. Rodgers would be sitting on the bench again doing nothing waiting to get out of GB. Talk about not remebering the facts you said BF only wanted to have a real competion for the QB position. That is exactly the conversation BF and MM had after the Family Night game. MM inferred that BF was not willing to compete and that the job should be his be default.

I find it funny that when anyone disagrees with you and points out a FACT; you state they can't accept "THE TRUTH". The only person here who isn't being honest is you. If you look back about 250 pages ago I put down what BF should have done. I'll leave that up to you to find.

Just so you don't think I hate Favre the football player, I think his number should be retire by GB before he goes into the footballl HOF. BF gave the Packers a chance to win every week. It was his off the field issues I have a problem with.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He retired.
    Now you are answering for someone else!
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Where is Mr. Scott Campbell when this forum needs balanced, reasoned discussion of the Brett Favre saga?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    In your scenario, am I a professional athlete? Have I "retired" 3 times already? Has that company given me $100,000,000?
    So what has that got to do with 'the price of tea in China' Zool ?

Brett Favre was a Pro athlete with every right that offered him to play football professionally. To not be allowed or forced to not do so; by any TT/MM/Mark Murphy BS. that focused on preserving his status/legend or otherwise.

Brett Favre wanted to win another Super Bowl ring. Accepting the Green Bay position wasn't going to assist his strong desire to achieve that.

Whatever he earned in his long career; whatever he had accomplished prior to June-August 2008 was moot; had zero bearing on his future needs and desires. Playing for a sincerely focused and competitive NFL team.

When that team couldn't be 'the Green Bay Packers'. Brett Favre merely exercised his freedom of rights to pursue his dream elsewhere.

If he was being rejected by the Green Bay Packers ( for future with Aaron Rodgers) so be it. There was no imaginable way that Brett Favre was going to be a back-up to any NFL QB. Certainly not after the season he shined in or the 2007 season.

Brett Favre merely meant to force the issue to be able to get back in the real mix elsewhere. He didn't want to be paid off as some 'token spokesperson' for the Green Bay Packers. Before such was ripe in terms of both deserving and coming. Brett Favre 'in fact' needed to get away from the shackles he must have felt playing for a team managed by Ted Thompson. I believe that both he and Ted Thompson certainly knew that to be the case.

To somehow manage to overcome that 'obvious for him handicap, or Ted Thompson's ways. Under that condition and to still almost see the job done; speaks mountains for Brett Favre 'the man'.

I believe that the real TRUTH was that Brett Favre was as ecstatic to get traded as I was as a Packer fan to see him freed of the TT yoke.

The 'only' noise that he made leaving the Green Bay Packers was in my view his hurt of leaving behind the great fans and people of Green Bay that did support him. As I viewed it all. The 'only noise' should have been the almost silent sigh of relief and pure joy getting out from under Ted Thompson.

I don't believe that Brett Favre and Ted Thompson were very close. Too much informed me of that as a fact. I do believe that Brett Favre has done his best to make it all go away to smooth over any ruffled feelings. It's Ted Thompson, who has remained extremely awkward, as is his nature, in this matter.

As it's been pointed out previously in this thread. TT's awkwardness is no longer a factor and anything Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers in the future.

As far as the way it all went down. Both sides and not just Brett Favre made errors. In hindsight it certainly could have been handled better. Unfortunately we're dealing with huge ego's in terms of Brett Favre and Ted Thompson. In such cases there is often a mess.

It's now left to sensible Green Bay Packer fans to get it right again.

GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-23-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I think they should give #4 to a punter named something like "John Asshole" then retire John's number and hang that in the bowl.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

So what has that got to do with 'the price of tea in China' Zool ?
    I edited this because it was a ridiculous reply. He retired, threw a tantrum, and wanted revenge for getting $100,000,000. You are so completely blinded by your fandom for #4 that you don't want to see anything else. You don't discuss things, you just put up walls of text. I won't be replying again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    Where is Mr. Scott Campbell when this forum needs balanced, reasoned discussion of the Brett Favre saga?
    Please 'M'... with that post your credibility reminds me of 'the Bismarck'.

SINKING !

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He retired.
    No he didn't 'again'.

Brett Favre has explained that retiring and not over and over in extreme.

The Green Bay Packer certainly couldn't take Favre seriously and that. They might use that though to their advantage in de-commissioning Brett Favre. Am I the only Packer fan that saw that angle?

PACKERS !

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I edited this because it was a ridiculous reply. He retired, threw a tantrum, and wanted revenge for getting $100,000,000. You are so completely blinded by your fandom for #4 that you don't want to see anything else. You don't discuss things, you just put up walls of text. I won't be replying again.
    You still don't get it. I was 'in fact' incredibly happy for Brett Favre that he got away from Ted Thompson.

To the rest of your post:

Cool. Have a great day.

GO PACK GO !

Hello George.

I'm simply interested and not by this post feeling any need of defending my sanity. I am sane and so much so that I defer from launching attacks on posters here that clearly deserve such. That except in exceptional cases when it's 'just wrong' to sit idly by when some cornpone idiot is planting his /her damaging to the forum agenda.

Is it generally the case and you? That whenever someone takes a position different than you might take. That that person is automatically .....crazy?

Also just something to think about. Don't mix up excessive passion for anyone's fervour to see it right.

GO PACK GO !
    Woody, just to be clear, when I make jabs like that, I mean it in an affectionate way.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    For accuracy's sake, the Jets finished with 9 wins (not 10) in 2008. Favre threw for 22 TDs (6 in one game) and 22 interceptions. I think Rodgers would be so embarrassed with those stats that he'd probably retire if he ever had stats that bad. Mostly joking. Favre was a bit better than his stats, but Thompson made the right decision. Favre couldn't get it down late in the season in cold weather come playoff time anymore. It was time to give the reins to the young guy (who Thompson knew happened to be ultra-talented, even if nobody else did).
    Also for accuracy's sake, in 2009 the Jets also finsihed 9-7 and made the playoffs. The lost in the AFC Championship game to the Colts. They were led by Mark Sanchez who during the regular season was 196/364 2,444 Yards 12 Tds 20 INTs and a 63.0 QB Rating.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think they should give #4 to a punter named something like "John Asshole" then retire John's number and hang that in the bowl.

How about giving it to that new wide receiver they just signed - Richard Pic?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

To your response.

1. The stupid thing BF did was retire. No one forced him to retire. No one made him go on TV with Deanne next to him and retire. At that point the Packers needed to move on. Not doing so would have been stupid. If TT and MM had done nothing and hoped that BF returned for 2008 I would have called for them to be fired. TT &MM committed to ARod which any team in the NFL would have done.
    2. If BF came back to the Pack and got the starting position he is basically canning Rodgers. Rodgers would be sitting on the bench again doing nothing waiting to get out of GB. Talk about not remebering the facts you said BF only wanted to have a real competion for the QB position. That is exactly the conversation BF and MM had after the Family Night game. MM inferred that BF was not willing to compete and that the job should be his be default.

I find it funny that when anyone disagrees with you and points out a FACT; you state they can't accept "THE TRUTH". The only person here who isn't being honest is you. If you look back about 250 pages ago I put down what BF should have done. I'll leave that up to you to find.

Just so you don't think I hate Favre the football player, I think his number should be retire by GB before he goes into the footballl HOF. BF gave the Packers a chance to win every week. It was his off the field issues I have a problem with.
    1. The stupid thing BF did was retire. No one forced him to retire. No one made him go on TV with Deanne next to him and retire. ThunderDan

Your aware that at that time and (maybe?) for the past dozen years that Brett Favre was 'a premier NFL icon', if not 'the premier Icon' in the NFL?

Brett Favre has explained that retirement talk very well in terms of his giving so much of himself in a season. That after that 2007 season and NFC Championship game loss to the New York GIANTS and actually feeling burned out.

He has basically said that he was so sick of the media always pressuring him about the next season. That it was just simpler to say he was retired 'when in fact', he wasn't retired. Is that confusing? Yes it is to a degree; yet it also makes sense, in terms of a need for privacy.

'No less' Favre explains it in that sense.

Just try to find and read his statements about this in his own words and do so with an open mind as to their authenticity.

You write that 'you' would call for the heads of TT and MM if Brett Favre returned in 2008.

That clearly wasn't going to happen. It was clearly from a solid management standpoint. Aaron Rodgers time to be the Packers starting QB. If Brett Favre did anything stupid and really ever desiring to play in the NFL again. 'It was ever even mentioning retiring'; and as a result making their job of getting rid of him, by virtually burying him as an NFL QB.... easier.

In the beginning I simply wished that the Packers released Brett Favre to find his own way. I felt that he deserved that respect. I later came to see that wasn't best.

2. " If BF came back to the Pack and got the starting position he is basically canning Rodgers. Rodgers would be sitting on the bench again doing nothing waiting to get out of GB. Talk about not remebering the facts you said BF only wanted to have a real competion for the QB position. That is exactly the conversation BF and MM had after the Family Night game. MM inferred that BF was not willing to compete and that the job should be his be default. " ThunderDan

Of course... here I have to agree with you ThunderDan. Any competition between Favre and Rodgers risked Favre winning such competition. Brett Favre merely wanted what MM offered him when he departed Mississippi for Green Bay in early August 2008 for the Packers TC. A 'real competition' for the NO. 1 QB position. I place the accent on the word 'real'. Of course ... MM has been known to change lanes rather fast.

The fact was that when Brett Favre and his wife (Deanna) and his agent (Bus Cook) arrived in Green Bay. Then and suddenly 'the rules' for such competition were re-qualified. MM informed Brett Favre that Aaron Rodgers would start every Pre-Season game; and more than likely be given more playing time than Favre had in prior TC Pre- Season games from seasons past.

Does this scenario appear even marginally close to any fair competition for the NO. 1 QB position ThunderDan?

Brett Favre correctly deemed it not fair and again asked to be outright released or traded. Brett favre exercised his option of common sense and a demand for fairness or see yaa. He acted the exact same way that Aaron Rodgers would have if Aaron had to ride the pine again in another season.

Brett Favre wasn't going to waste anyone's time, with any scenario that certainly looked like he would be the Green Bay Packers back-up QB. Such a decision in terms of anything NOT Green Bay Packers was simply ridiculous. He was forced to ask to be able to play elsewhere given his focus of winning another Super Bowl.

It was after that stand by MM that Brett Favre may have totally realized his days as a Green Bay Packer were over.

"I find it funny that when anyone disagrees with you and points out a FACT; you state they can't accept "THE TRUTH". " ThunderDan

That is by far a false claim against me and my integrity ThunderDan.

If I take a position and in so doing discover an error in that position. I'll admit such error. If I feel my position has merit. I'll also stand my ground, 'no matter ' how unpopular that position is, with any poster or group of posters here. I never assume to become Mr. Popularity.

I always fight for what's best.

"Just so you don't think I hate Favre the football player, I think his number should be retire by GB before he goes into the footballl HOF. BF gave the Packers a chance to win every week." ThunderDan

That decision must be made before the Green Bay Packer organization is subjected to anymore undo embarrassment. The way the Favre divorce was handled certainly left much to be desired.

If Brett Favre adds more complication to this, as I presently see the TRUTH. I won't be pleased.

I don't expect to see TT or MM say too much as their sad play in the mess is too obvious now to me. Your maybe not capable of seeing it as your obviously in league with any Packer fans that judge Brett Favre.

The hurt that Brett Favre felt must have been horrendous. That's so sad but as the saying goes. Shit happens ! It wasn't the first time nor will it be the last that a Pro Sports Organization has to deal unfairly/harshly with a once former 'star player'.

I even agree now with TT's decision to get something for Brett Favre in a trade. He (maybe?) darn well knew that Favre would come back to haunt him one day. This is Brett Favre and how any Packer fan faults him for being Brett Favre is way over my head in terms of common sense or decent reasoning.

I hate the way that Favre might have 'in fact' learned of the team he was actually traded too; or the New York Jets. When... as he claims, he thought it was going to be the Tampa bay BUCS. That he and Ted Thompson had agreed that would be his destination out of Green Bay. That Brett Favre believed that he would be a Tampa Bay BUC when he left Ted Thompson and Green Bay to return home to Mississippi.

I understand how it may have gone down without anymore communication from Ted Thompson. Ted Thompson isn't exactly the smoothest of men when it comes to common sense, decency and respect and PR skills.

GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-23-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How about giving it to that new wide receiver they just signed - Richard Pic?
    How about telling him we'll retire it in September, then changing our minds.

Then telling him we'll retire it in December 2014 and changing our minds.

Then we retire it at his funeral.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Woody, just to be clear, when I make jabs like that, I mean it in an affectionate way.
    Then call me 'Tickle Me Elmo'.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    How about telling him we'll retire it in September, then changing our minds.

Then telling him we'll retire it in December 2014 and changing our minds.

Then we retire it at his funeral.
    WOW!

That's really mean. What kinds pills brings that stuff out in you?

I suggest 'cheerios' first thing at breakfast. It's get you whistling/cheerful all day long.

Now you are answering for someone else!
    Fair point, but this time he asked for an answer!