Page 493 of 563 FirstFirst ... 393 443 483 491 492 493 494 495 503 543 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,860 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    No he didn't 'again'.

Brett Favre has explained that retiring and not over and over in extreme.

The Green Bay Packer certainly couldn't take Favre seriously and that. They might use that though to their advantage in de-commissioning Brett Favre. Am I the only Packer fan that saw that angle?

PACKERS !
    I am pretty sure I remember the press conference. And the tears.

Football isn't boxing and you can't just step back into the ring where you left off and choose your opponent.

After a decade of flirting with retirement to get the Packers brass committed to winning now, it was clear his agenda conflicted with the Packers. It was a piece with the other power plays he had pulled as acting GM with the Packers. Thompson countered with a play of his own (plus M3 and Murphy) and got a 3rd round pick and one year of peace. Favre got his money and his payback a year later.

It was one of the ugliest business negotiations outside of a Hollywood divorce ever carried on basic cable. But the Packers got a Super Bow victory AND another half decade + of being talented enough to earn another one. It was a wise decision, poorly executed.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Football isn't boxing and you can't just step back into the ring where you left off and choose your opponent.

After a decade of flirting with retirement to get the Packers brass committed to winning now, it was clear his agenda conflicted with the Packers. It was a piece with the other power plays he had pulled as acting GM with the Packers. Thompson countered with a play of his own (plus M3 and Murphy) and got a 3rd round pick and one year of peace. Favre got his money and his payback a year later.

It was one of the ugliest business negotiations outside of a Hollywood divorce ever carried on basic cable. But the Packers got a Super Bow victory AND another half decade + of being talented enough to earn another one. It was a wise decision, poorly executed.
    This ^
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

No one could ever say that Favre wasn't an emotional Pro athlete. Favre carried his emotions on his sleeve.

Hindsight is 20/20 and looking back on it all the real problem begins in my honest estimation when MM doesn't tell TT to make it clear to Brett Favre that there will be a change at QB in the 2008 season. That a decision has been made to move ahead with Aaron Rodgers.

Brett Favre then had to make a decision to either stay 'finally' retired , ask for his outright release or a trade.

It got really silly when he was offered what constituted a payout to stay retired, when he began to waffle again as he did RE: former retirements. If he wasn't going to be allowed to be the NO. 1 QB given his service to the Packers and he wanted to be an NFL starter. He deserved to be treated with proper honesty and respect. All the moaning and groaning on MM's part doesn't excuse the fact that he didn't stand 100% firm and inform Brett Favre well before TC was to open. That under no circumstance would he be the NO. 1 QB in Green Bay in 2008. That Aaron Rodgers was ready and couldn't be left on the sidelines any longer.

What was TT's part in this whole thing? As I view it now. Ted Thompson isn't emotionally equipped to deal with such things. I don't see TT as the strongest of men and in fact far from that. I believe that TT knew that MM wanted Aaron Rodgers in and IMO given all the circumstances that was a correct decision.

I agree with you pbmax. it was horribly and incompetently handled. It was one of those situations where the best thing was for both sides to just completely let go of the other and allow for 'come what may'.

What we suffered as Packer fans is a clear example of one side (the Green Bay Packers) trying to overpower another and that side (Brett Favre) balking. Brett Favre isn't an easy man to overpower.

He wasn't going to 'no retirement'. Think Amy Winehouse.

Certainly no retirement after coming so close again in the 2007 season to reaching his dream. Certainly not after a very near NFL MVP season. Brett Favre was never a Pro athlete that played it safe. He always went down swinging and that made him my kind of man.

Have you seen the great movie 'the Hobbit'? If Favre was acting in that movie he would certainly have played a part as one of the Dwarves. A fearless and at times careless fighter. Some Packer fans want to act towards him like he's an Orc of Isengard because of his mere humanity.

That man made some mistakes and for all those that live perfect lives. I ask you to first re-consider before exercising any option of throwing the first stone or joining in 'with the angry mob', to otherwise persecute Brett Favre. Those that take their Packer fan status to a level far too serious.

For the rest of you that are 'just as I am' or 'far from perfect'. Try to temper your judgements and admonitions. I promise you this. That is by far the very best stance.

GO PACK GO!
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-23-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Woodbuck,

I am/was a big Brett Favre fan, but the guy was mostly (if not totally) at fault for how that went down. If you don't see that then you simply aren't being objective. Favre has another side to him then that includes selfishness, anger, stubbornness, and entitlement that we couldn't (or at least I couldn't) see through all the laughter, fist pumps, and touchdown celebrations throughout the years.

Favre has a great personality and he makes it easy for you to like him. The way he used to play the game made football extremely fun to watch, but unforgettably that will not be my only memories I will have of him. I will also remember him going on national TV to throw his life long team under the bus, sending pictures of himself to a cheerleader, and retiring from the Jets clearly to escape his contract with them to play for the Vikings.

If Brett was such a wholesome good guy like we all thought he was then what happened to honoring your contract? Didn't he call Javon Walker out for not honoring his contract? I find it funny that he retires from the jets, who then promptly release him, just so he can sign with the Vikings. What happened to his principles that he supposedly once felt so strongly about? Or are we supposed to believe that retiring from the Jets after the season was b/c "he couldn't commit to the team at that present time." Take off the Brett Favre sun glasses bro and enjoy the good times and realize the bad.
    Last edited by PaCkFan_n_MD; 05-23-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    You write that 'you' would call for the heads of TT and MM if Brett Favre returned in 2008.
    This sentence that you wrote I think clearly illustrates your issues. I did not write that. I think you see a post from someone who you label a "Favre Hater" and you are so ready to write another novelle that you don't realize what was truly written.

I wrote that if BF retired and TT & MM did nothing but hope that BF would unretire for the 2008 season I would call for their jobs. TT and MM have to run the franchise. When BF retired, meaning isn't employed by the Packers anymore, they had to address the QB position.

And boy did they, the promoted ARod right away and even drafted 2 QBs (Brohm and Flynn) to make sure that they had a QB on the roster who could play. That's what a competent management team does. They don't sit on their asses and hope their future HOF QB who retired will come back and save the franchise in 2008.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Yep, Brett's fault that everything went sour between him and the Packers. He should have been thrilled to just play out his final couple of good years with a team that went into rebuilding mode. Honestly, why would Favre, the first NFL player to win three consecutive AP MVP awards, get upset if his team decides to rebuild instead of trying to field the best team possibe for a push at the Super Bowl? I mean seriously, the man only allowed the Packers to restructure his contract a couple of times to free up money for free agent signings and such...... how dare he assume that the Packers front office would ever give a crap about what he thought.
    If only Brett would have happily accepted the way that Thompson wanted him to lie down for the last couple of years he had left in him. He could have sat on the bench behind his replacement.......using that competitive fire we all loved so much, to keep the bench warm for Mr. Rodgers.

Unreal, lol. I am sorry, but I have to laugh at how people complain about Favre because of how he left the Packers, or because of where he went after he left. It takes two to tango kiddies. Yes, things would have went much smoother with a lot less drama if Favre would have either retired when Thompson pushed him towards it, or just sat on the bench as a second string to a freakin rookie. But we are talking about Brett Favre. While some may want to cherish memories of "Favre throwing his team under the bus" (lmao, really?) or for sending pics of his wiener to a cheerleader (like you have never sent a pic of your wiener to a cheerleader...), I choose to remember Favre for the amazing things he did while he was a Packer, such as playing the best game of his life the day after his father died. Or, hey.....do you remember watching him play in two Super Bowls? That was pretty freakin kewl!
    I seriously think some of you are either to young to know what you are talking about, or you have a huge problem with empathy. If you were to put yourselves in Favre's shoes at the time that he left GB, if you were honest with yourselves, you would have likely have done a lot of the same things he did. Why stay with a team that is going to be rebuilding up until you retire? Especially, if you still feel that you have a few good years left in you? As for Favre going to the Jets, your damn right i would have made a back door deal with the Jets if I was in Favre's shoes. Why wouldnt Favre have wanted to play for the Vikings? I know damned well why Thompson didnt want Favre playing for the Vikings, lmao!!!! I have to wonder what might have been if Thompson had had the balls to simply release Favre, and put his money where his mouth was. Im guessing that if Favre hadnt had to waste a season playin for the Jets, he would have had one more ring....with the Vikings.

In the end, Favre was the same man that we all knew and loved, just in a different uniform. You cant blame him for wanting to continue to play, or for wanting to continue to win. The only thing you can bash him for, is for not allowing Thompson to push him into retirement, or for not wanting to sit on the bench for his last remaining couple of years. That is what it all really boils down to.

Oh, and as for Rodgers saying that it is past time for Favre to come back to the Packers so that they can retire his Jersey.......LMFAO. Get out of town with that garbage. Perhaps after M3 and Thompson are gone, lol.....but otherwise, I would just as soon see Favre retire as a Viking, its no less than some Packer "fans" deserve.

What was TT's part in this whole thing? As I view it now. Ted Thompson isn't emotionally equipped to deal with such things. I don't see TT as the strongest of men and in fact far from that. I believe that TT knew that MM wanted Aaron Rodgers in and IMO given all the circumstances that was a correct decision.
    I don't agree with this assessment of Thompson. If he was weak willed or unable to deal with emotional circumstances, then he would not have the draft philosophy he has. Not would he have the approach to FA he has.

There are are two other franchises who could have left their Pro Bowl QB at the altar because it was time to move on. The Patriots and the Steelers. The Patriots have done it before (though with an injury to Bledsoe to test drive Brady). And the Steelers just spent last year ignoring BenR and giving him an offensive coordinator and run game emphasis of their choosing, not his.

The Giants haven't had to do this with a QB since Simms/Hostetler so the jury is out there but I suspect they could do it. 49ers maybe as they benched Alex Smith, but he was not nearly the fixture the other QBs were. The Colts should be considered as well since Irsay engineered Manning's exit PLUS a tanked season to secure Luck.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Good lord. Woodbuck here believes BF was forced to retire. Nonsense! If MM and TT thought he couldn't play anymore they wouldn't have gave a damn if he played for a divisional rival. Had Favre not retired after the 2007 season I truly believe he would have been our starter. But once he did retire and held that teary press conference MM went full speed ahead with Rodgers and never looked back. Back then the Jets were not the mess they are today. Brett showed he could still play and performed well until he got hurt. Heck, they were headed for the playoffs before he injured his shoulder. He then pretended to retire again. The reason I say 'pretend' is he asked NY to give him his release. Retired players do not make this kind of a request. It was plain he wanted out of that contract so he could go to the place he wanted to go all along - MN - so he could stick it to the franchise that made him a multimillionaire. He got his wish and joined the Vikes but tossed yet another INT and screwed the queens out of a SB berth and Rodgers played lights out a year later and won it all. I think we got the better end of this deal. BTW, I believe MM was the driving force behind wanting Favre to stay retired more than TT ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBlues View Post
    Yep, Brett's fault that everything went sour between him and the Packers. He should have been thrilled to just play out his final couple of good years with a team that went into rebuilding mode. Honestly, why would Favre, the first NFL player to win three consecutive AP MVP awards, get upset if his team decides to rebuild instead of trying to field the best team possibe for a push at the Super Bowl? I mean seriously, the man only allowed the Packers to restructure his contract a couple of times to free up money for free agent signings and such...... how dare he assume that the Packers front office would ever give a crap about what he thought.
    If only Brett would have happily accepted the way that Thompson wanted him to lie down for the last couple of years he had left in him. He could have sat on the bench behind his replacement.......using that competitive fire we all loved so much, to keep the bench warm for Mr. Rodgers.

Unreal, lol. I am sorry, but I have to laugh at how people complain about Favre because of how he left the Packers, or because of where he went after he left. It takes two to tango kiddies. Yes, things would have went much smoother with a lot less drama if Favre would have either retired when Thompson pushed him towards it, or just sat on the bench as a second string to a freakin rookie. But we are talking about Brett Favre. While some may want to cherish memories of "Favre throwing his team under the bus" (lmao, really?) or for sending pics of his wiener to a cheerleader (like you have never sent a pic of your wiener to a cheerleader...), I choose to remember Favre for the amazing things he did while he was a Packer, such as playing the best game of his life the day after his father died. Or, hey.....do you remember watching him play in two Super Bowls? That was pretty freakin kewl!
    I seriously think some of you are either to young to know what you are talking about, or you have a huge problem with empathy. If you were to put yourselves in Favre's shoes at the time that he left GB, if you were honest with yourselves, you would have likely have done a lot of the same things he did. Why stay with a team that is going to be rebuilding up until you retire? Especially, if you still feel that you have a few good years left in you? As for Favre going to the Jets, your damn right i would have made a back door deal with the Jets if I was in Favre's shoes. Why wouldnt Favre have wanted to play for the Vikings? I know damned well why Thompson didnt want Favre playing for the Vikings, lmao!!!! I have to wonder what might have been if Thompson had had the balls to simply release Favre, and put his money where his mouth was. Im guessing that if Favre hadnt had to waste a season playin for the Jets, he would have had one more ring....with the Vikings.

In the end, Favre was the same man that we all knew and loved, just in a different uniform. You cant blame him for wanting to continue to play, or for wanting to continue to win. The only thing you can bash him for, is for not allowing Thompson to push him into retirement, or for not wanting to sit on the bench for his last remaining couple of years. That is what it all really boils down to.

Oh, and as for Rodgers saying that it is past time for Favre to come back to the Packers so that they can retire his Jersey.......LMFAO. Get out of town with that garbage. Perhaps after M3 and Thompson are gone, lol.....but otherwise, I would just as soon see Favre retire as a Viking, its no less than some Packer "fans" deserve.
    In case you've forgotten, one of Brent's "retirements" occurred after a 13-3 season. How was that rebuilding mode?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Yes, things would have went much smoother with a lot less drama if Favre would have either retired when Thompson pushed him towards it, or just sat on the bench as a second string to a freakin rookie. But we are talking about Brett Favre. While some may want to cherish memories of "Favre throwing his team under the bus" (lmao, really?) or for sending pics of his wiener to a cheerleader (like you have never sent a pic of your wiener to a cheerleader...),

The little problem with your logic above is that Favre DID retire. That left the team in kind of a stupid position, no? Also, as I recall, no one asked Favre to warm the bench, just to compete for the starting position. Speculation is that he may well have lost that competition and evidence in hindsight supports that position. Everyone knew he could still play, though not to the level he could when he was younger, and not in the cold in Lambeau with the season on the line it seems. So if they keep him, they lose Rodgers and we're sitting here now excoriating TT for letting the future walk out the door for an old QB who freezes when the mercury falls or let the dude go off to a dome where the weather isn't a factor. I'm pretty sure that they did the right thing, because Favre's final year was exactly as I'd have predicted. Beats us twice and then loses when it's all on the line. And you're right Favre is the same guy, but not the one you think. He's the guy who cheated on his wife repeatedly and got himself hooked on painkillers at the height of his success. The same guy who created a "will he or won't he" drama for how many years? By the time he actually retired (the first time, anyway) I was almost rooting for it because I was sick of the annual circus. The guy couldn't take a dump without the media focusing on him and he brought a whole lot of that on himself. So if he wants to retire a Viking, that's fine by me. They can retire his "Thanks Ted" jersey.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    In case you've forgotten, one of Brent's "retirements" occurred after a 13-3 season. How was that rebuilding mode?

yeah, sorry......im not going to do the research for you, if you cannot remember that far back, were not a fan at that time, or you were/are still in diapers......thats your problem.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    yeah, sorry......im not going to do the research for you, if you cannot remember that far back, were not a fan at that time, or you were/are still in diapers......thats your problem.
    Actually, I think you are wrong. The Packers had one losing season when Favre was QB. We had a rough patch in 2005 & 2006 when we turned over a roster because of the Sherman drafts. But 2 years later we were in the NFC Championship game.

1992: 9-7
    1993: 9-7
    1994: 9-7
    1995: 11-5
    1996: 13-3 Super Bowl!!!
    1997: 13-3 Super Bowl Loss!!!!
    1998: 11-5
    1999: 8-8
    2000: 9-7
    2001: 12-4
    2002: 12-4
    2003: 10-6
    2004: 10-6
    2005: 4-12
    2006: 8-8
    2007: 13-3
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Maybe you missed the sarcasm. What you wrote in your own sarcastic post was "He should have been thrilled to just play out his final couple of good years with a team that went into rebuilding mode. Honestly, why would Favre, the first NFL player to win three consecutive AP MVP awards, get upset if his team decides to rebuild instead of trying to field the best team possibe for a push at the Super Bowl?"

My point is that you're wrong. One of Favre's many retirements - his first officially announced retirement - came after the 2007 season, when the team went 13-3 in the regular season and then beat Seattle in the playoffs before losing to the Giants.

That's not a team in a rebuilding mode. That's Favre walking away from a 13-3 team.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Maybe you missed the sarcasm. What you wrote in your own sarcastic post was "He should have been thrilled to just play out his final couple of good years with a team that went into rebuilding mode. Honestly, why would Favre, the first NFL player to win three consecutive AP MVP awards, get upset if his team decides to rebuild instead of trying to field the best team possibe for a push at the Super Bowl?"

My point is that you're wrong. One of Favre's many retirements - his first officially announced retirement - came after the 2007 season, when the team went 13-3 in the regular season and then beat Seattle in the playoffs before losing to the Giants.

That's not a team in a rebuilding mode. That's Favre walking away from a 13-3 team.
    Yup, the guy who said his only reason for playing was to win another Super Bowl, officially retired from a team on the verge of getting there after a 13-3 season.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    The little problem with your logic above is that Favre DID retire. That left the team in kind of a stupid position, no? Also, as I recall, no one asked Favre to warm the bench, just to compete for the starting position. Speculation is that he may well have lost that competition and evidence in hindsight supports that position. Everyone knew he could still play, though not to the level he could when he was younger, and not in the cold in Lambeau with the season on the line it seems. So if they keep him, they lose Rodgers and we're sitting here now excoriating TT for letting the future walk out the door for an old QB who freezes when the mercury falls or let the dude go off to a dome where the weather isn't a factor. I'm pretty sure that they did the right thing, because Favre's final year was exactly as I'd have predicted. Beats us twice and then loses when it's all on the line. And you're right Favre is the same guy, but not the one you think. He's the guy who cheated on his wife repeatedly and got himself hooked on painkillers at the height of his success. The same guy who created a "will he or won't he" drama for how many years? By the time he actually retired (the first time, anyway) I was almost rooting for it because I was sick of the annual circus. The guy couldn't take a dump without the media focusing on him and he brought a whole lot of that on himself. So if he wants to retire a Viking, that's fine by me. They can retire his "Thanks Ted" jersey.
    You said it, sister!

You dropped pretty quick into Diaper-accusation Mode dincha'?

Methinks you got nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    Woodbuck,

I am/was a big Brett Favre fan, but the guy was mostly (if not totally) at fault for how that went down. If you don't see that then you simply aren't being objective. Favre has another side to him then that includes selfishness, anger, stubbornness, and entitlement that we couldn't (or at least I couldn't) see through all the laughter, fist pumps, and touchdown celebrations throughout the years.

Favre has a great personality and he makes it easy for you to like him. The way he used to play the game made football extremely fun to watch, but unforgettably that will not be my only memories I will have of him. I will also remember him going on national TV to throw his life long team under the bus, sending pictures of himself to a cheerleader, and retiring from the Jets clearly to escape his contract with them to play for the Vikings.

If Brett was such a wholesome good guy like we all thought he was then what happened to honoring your contract? Didn't he call Javon Walker out for not honoring his contract? I find it funny that he retires from the jets, who then promptly release him, just so he can sign with the Vikings. What happened to his principles that he supposedly once felt so strongly about? Or are we supposed to believe that retiring from the Jets after the season was b/c "he couldn't commit to the team at that present time." Take off the Brett Favre sun glasses bro and enjoy the good times and realize the bad.
    I appreciate your position but sorry Packer fan. I'm not joining you or anyone else on this board that stands down on Brett Favre as the football player he was. I don't believe I'll live to ever see a more exciting man stand behind center on any football field.

Thus as a Green Bay Packer and NFL fan for over five decades and as that football player I enjoyed in Brett Favre. I hold Brett Favre in 'the highest esteem'.

Did the human side of him paint him as a man that disappointed me? of course he wasn't perfect but who in a lifetime is? It's that fact that allowed me to rationalize or sift out the crap and his life (ways). When you reach my age you might better understand me and this position. I sincerely hope that life leads you in that direction.

The scandalous parts of him that surfaced made me cringe. I had to overcome a lot there to arrive where I am and Brett Favre today. Arriving there I'm happy to believe that my position is best for me. Any Packer fan that chooses to go on criticizing Brett Favre for the emotional or human weakness that they perceive in him, is simply to me a fair and different take from the one I've chosen and will remain with.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread brings you out? Haha! Guess it is gonna make it to 10k!

from http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/bio/ ..........

Retirement and return (2008)

On March 4, 2008, Favre formally announced his retirement. On July 2, 2008, it was reported that Favre was in contact with the Packers about a possible return to the team. On July 11, 2008, Favre sent a letter to the Packers asking for his unconditional release to allow him to play for another NFL team. Packers general manager Ted Thompson announced he would not grant Favre an unconditional release and reaffirmed the organization's commitment to Aaron Rodgers as its new quarterback. Complicating matters was Favre's unique contract giving him the leverage to void any potential trade by not reporting to the camp of the team he might be traded to if the Packers elect to go that route.

Favre spoke publicly for the first time about his potential comeback in a July 14, 2008, interview with Greta Van Susteren on the Fox News Channel's On the Record with Greta Van Susteren. In the interview, Favre said he was "guilty of retiring early," that he was "never fully committed" to retirement, and that he was pressured by the Packers to make a decision before the NFL Draft and the start of the free agent signing period. Favre disputed the notion that he doesn't want to play for Green Bay and said that while he understands the organization has decided to move on, they should now allow him to do the same. He made clear that he would not return to the Packers as a backup and reiterated his desire to be released rather than traded, which would allow him the freedom to play for a competitive team. Favre also accused the Packers of being dishonest, wishing the team would have been straightforward with him and the public.

In the second part of the interview, which aired on July 15, Favre expressed his frustration with Packer management, spoke of his sympathy for successor Aaron Rodgers' predicament, and affirmed he is 100 percent committed to playing football in 2008.

Favre formally filed for reinstatement with the NFL on July 29, 2008, and his petition was granted by Commissioner Goodell, effective August 4, 2008. Favre then flew to Green Bay to report to Packers training camp. After a lengthy meeting with head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, however, both sides agreed it was time for Favre and the organization to part ways
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

We can all remember things differently, or revise history to suit our own arguments. The Packers did rebuild when Thompson came to town. Saying that they didnt just because the Packers went 13-3 during Favre's final year with the team is a lame argument. From what i recall of that year, Favre had a crap O-line to play behind with such greats as "The Human Turnstyle" playing in front of him. I honestly dont think any other QB could have produced a winning record with that team.

again, put yourselves in his shoes, its not like this all just happened out of the blue.

So, lets say that YOU are a professional QB in the NFL. The team YOU play for, hadnt even made it into a playoff game in over 10 years prior to YOUR arrival.
    YOU have played with that same team for 14 years, without missing one single start. YOU have played in two Super Bowls, YOU have won 3 consecutive MVP awards, YOU have set the NFL record for 13 consecutive winning seasons..........along with a number of other records, to many to mention. People refer to YOU as a Gunslinger, and always talk about how YOU play the QB position with so much heart and passion.

You have been through a lot with this team, but now, there is a new GM, and a new Head Coach. The GM has made it very clear to YOU, that he is going to rebuild, hoping that YOU will either retire, or stick around and do YOUR part to help sell tickets while the team works its way through the rebuilding process. Most if not all of the veteran players that YOU had played with have been cut or let go via free agency. YOU are nearly twice as old as most of the other players on the team and YOU want to chase one more Super Bowl before YOU retire. YOUR replacement has been drafted and is ready to play. YOU are sick of looking over YOUR shoulder, and the team decides it wants YOU in their past, not in their future (except maybe to help peddle merchandise, lol) The GM has told YOU that he will not release YOU outright, even though he thinks that the team has a better chance of winning with his #1 draft pick than with YOU at the QB position........and the new Head Coach agrees with the GM (can you say "yes man"?)
    In the previous couple of years, YOU have had to deal with YOUR Fathers death, YOUR wifes cancer scare, the accidental death of YOUR brother-in-law, and the destruction of the family home by way of Hurricane Katrina......and now YOU have to deal with this.

So, How would YOU have dealt with the situation, in a way that would be so much better than how Favre handled it? Please, step down from YOUR high-horse for a moment and enlighten us all as to what YOU would have done differently.

Personally, I would probably have sent a picture of MY weiner to a cheerleader and just moved on.