Page 498 of 563 FirstFirst ... 398 448 488 496 497 498 499 500 508 548 ... LastLast
Results 9,941 to 9,960 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    Why do I get the feeling SC's file is as thick as Woodbuck's?
    No let's get this straight mj.

My Brett Favre file is thicker and richer in terms of real value than Scott's.

Mine covers Brett Favre 'the good'.

Scott Campbell's file is very thin. Like thin ice. Add heat and he falls through.

Scott's is all about ridicule and ugly venomous slander; about darkness. All that Scott Campbell is truly capable of. It's really so pathetically sad and 'only' what he's able to convene obtrusively on:

'the Bad and the Ugly'.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    Brett Favre made it to ..... the Super Bowl with his Packer team..... ahhhhhhh ....two....times.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Scott,

Timing is everything and YOU. RULE.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Scott,

Timing is everything and YOU. RULE.

Something was missing from this latest Favre debate.

And honestly, without looking at the patterns of disregard for the rights/well-being of other people in his life, it's hard to really pin the guy down. He was so good at getting away with it. And then he got caught with his dick in his hand. Favre lied to his wife, cheated on her, tried to sabotage his former teammates by giving info to a former rival, tried to punish his former team for trading him away because it didn't happen on his terms. What do you think it's like when Dianna doesn't do things on Baby-Bert's terms? You think he finds ways to punish/get back at her? He's really immature. I feel bad for him because that's a tough way to live, but I also don't think his actions are acceptable and he needs to be held accountable for them. The Packers held him accountable for his retirement threats (and let's be honest, that's probably what they were. If you don't do it the way I like, I'll retire.) He probably thought he was special enough to pull that kind of stunt, but the Packers called the bluff. Ok, you're retired, fine, we're done with you and we're going with AR. More than anything, I think that whole situation was a major punch in his inflated ego. Favre was knocked down a notch. Rather than accept reality (that he's not a golden god of football) he threw a fit and blamed everyone else. It's a burden to have to be the best. The minute he can put that down and come back to humanity, the weight will be off of his chest and he'll just be happy with his place in history. He'll be able to show up, be a part of things, enjoy time with his old teammates. HE's not there yet though, unfortunately for everyone. His career is great enough and long enough, it should be celebrated with the people who were there. It's a fucking shame, honestly. It's a shame for us, because I think we'd all like to cheer for the guy. He's immature, like a little kid. Sometimes, if a person doesn't realize it, it can cause the person to be really hurtful. But sometimes, that same person can be infectious, like a little kid, and make life a joy for those around him. Favre can do both. He's very passionate. It's wonderful and sad at the same time. Hopefully he can find a way to grow in some areas while keeping the other parts of him in tact. He's not bad, he's just not all grown up like most adults and some of it is causing problems in his life (as well as the lives of people close to him).
    Last edited by RashanGary; 05-24-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    500 pp and 10,000 posts will be pretty close together.

PBlue, you have some sort of insanity thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I appreciate your position but sorry Packer fan. I'm not joining you or anyone else on this board that stands down on Brett Favre as the football player he was. I don't believe I'll live to ever see a more exciting man stand behind center on any football field.

Thus as a Green Bay Packer and NFL fan for over five decades and as that football player I enjoyed in Brett Favre. I hold Brett Favre in 'the highest esteem'.

Did the human side of him paint him as a man that disappointed me? of course he wasn't perfect but who in a lifetime is? It's that fact that allowed me to rationalize or sift out the crap and his life (ways). When you reach my age you might better understand me and this position. I sincerely hope that life leads you in that direction.

The scandalous parts of him that surfaced made me cringe. I had to overcome a lot there to arrive where I am and Brett Favre today. Arriving there I'm happy to believe that my position is best for me. Any Packer fan that chooses to go on criticizing Brett Favre for the emotional or human weakness that they perceive in him, is simply to me a fair and different take from the one I've chosen and will remain with.

GO PACK GO !
    I'm not standing down Brett Favre as the FOOTBALL PLAYER he was. And yes he was the most exciting player I have watched also. But did you totally miss the point? I'm not arguing that he was a great player, but how are you connecting his play on the field with his actions off the field as a man?

I'm not even criticizing him for emotional or human weakness, but that doesn't change the fact that he acted like a child in 08.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    500 pp and 10,000 posts will be pretty close together.

PBlue, you have some sort of insanity thing going on.
    Completely off topic, but you must be set up for 20 posts per page. You can go as high as 40. Settings/General Settings/Posts per page.

And now we return you to the never ending soap opera, otherwise known as the Favre thread.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I can't decide which is funnier - this or Al Gore's "Com'on baby, release my chakra!"

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Something was missing from this latest Favre debate.

And honestly, without looking at the patterns of disregard for the rights/well-being of other people in his life, it's hard to really pin the guy down. He was so good at getting away with it. And then he got caught with his dick in his hand. Favre lied to his wife, cheated on her, tried to sabotage his former teammates by giving info to a former rival, tried to punish his former team for trading him away because it didn't happen on his terms. What do you think it's like when Dianna doesn't do things on Baby-Bert's terms? You think he finds ways to punish/get back at her? He's really immature. I feel bad for him because that's a tough way to live, but I also don't think his actions are acceptable and he needs to be held accountable for them. The Packers held him accountable for his retirement threats (and let's be honest, that's probably what they were. If you don't do it the way I like, I'll retire.) He probably thought he was special enough to pull that kind of stunt, but the Packers called the bluff. Ok, you're retired, fine, we're done with you and we're going with AR. More than anything, I think that whole situation was a major punch in his inflated ego. Favre was knocked down a notch. Rather than accept reality (that he's not a golden god of football) he threw a fit and blamed everyone else. It's a burden to have to be the best. The minute he can put that down and come back to humanity, the weight will be off of his chest and he'll just be happy with his place in history. He'll be able to show up, be a part of things, enjoy time with his old teammates. HE's not there yet though, unfortunately for everyone. His career is great enough and long enough, it should be celebrated with the people who were there. It's a fucking shame, honestly. It's a shame for us, because I think we'd all like to cheer for the guy. He's immature, like a little kid. Sometimes, if a person doesn't realize it, it can cause the person to be really hurtful. But sometimes, that same person can be infectious, like a little kid, and make life a joy for those around him. Favre can do both. He's very passionate. It's wonderful and sad at the same time. Hopefully he can find a way to grow in some areas while keeping the other parts of him in tact. He's not bad, he's just not all grown up like most adults and some of it is causing problems in his life (as well as the lives of people close to him).
    Your post reminded me of something written about Favre late in 2010.

Brett Favre will stand on the Vikings' sideline for the last time today. Thus will end one of the
    most volatile episodes in Minnesota sports history, an 18-month window in which Favre
    sequentially proved right anyone who ever praised or doubted him.

Favre will end his career as a limping contradiction. In a society that revels in either-or debates,
    Favre has proved that "all of the above" can be the correct assessment of a polarizing individual.
    You can take either side in a debate about Favre and be right. He is at once the most prolific
    passer in NFL history and the most erratic great quarterback to ever play the game.

He is renowned for his fourth-quarter comebacks and clutch play, and yet has thrown more
    season-destroying interceptions than any quarterback in history.

He is the toughest man in the annals of a brutal sport -- having started 297 consecutive games at a
    position that is the equivalent of a clay pigeon at a shotgun range -- and the most emotionally
    needy player ever to don a helmet.

He is a charismatic leader who can unite a locker room and inspire a huddle, and he is a divisive
    figure who was known in New York for ignoring his teammates.

He wouldn't tutor Aaron Rodgers, his chosen successor in Green Bay , yet he volunteers his time
    coaching high school kids in Hattiesburg , Miss. He launched or improved the careers of a dozen
    coaches -- including Andy Reid, Jon Gruden and Mike Holmgren -- and ended the head coaching
    career of the man who brought him to Minnesota and helped him make $28 million in 18
    months.
    He craves the spotlight but won't dress for it, favoring old jeans, sweaty golf hats and perpetual
    stubble even during news conferences watched by millions.
    He shuns the media five days a week -- a writer from Washington , D.C. , once told me it was
    easier to land a one-on-one interview with the President than with Favre -- yet manipulates
    national reporters every week to disseminate dubious messages.

He will forever be remembered as an iconic Packer, yet he began his career with Atlanta , visited
    New York and chose to finish his career with the Packers' arch-rival, intent on beating the
    franchise that made him famous. He is a Hall of Fame quarterback who became a symbol of
    longevity, and yet each of the four teams that employed him was glad to see him go.

He prides himself, as he once told me, in "playing like a kid," even when teammates put a
    rocking chair in front of his locker. He "loves the game" yet can't bring himself to show up for
    offseason workouts or the opening day of training camp.

He is a Southern good ol' boy who made his reputation on the Frozen Tundra. He reveres the
    record book and NFL history but once flopped on the ground to help New York Giants defensive
    end Michael Strahan break a sack record.

All of which makes you wonder: When Brett Favre looks in the mirror, does his reflection appear
    in 3-D? Because Favre is so internally conflicted, so relentlessly contradictory, offering a final
    assessment of him isn't easy. Remember, it was a year ago that Favre was preparing to help the
    Vikings whip the Dallas Cowboys in the Metrodome, in one of the most impressive
    victories in franchise history. It was less than a year ago that Favre was preparing to run the
    Vikings' offense up and down the field against the eventual Super Bowl champion
    Saints in the deafening Superdome. At the age of 40, in his first season in purple, Favre came
    within one pass of taking the Vikings to a Super Bowl they might well have won. Therein lies the
    Favre conundrum: He was the reason the Vikings were able to come within one of Favre's
    startlingly amateurish interceptions of doing what had never been done before in 50 years of
    Vikings history, and he was the reason the Vikings followed that thrilling season by with an
    implosion so spectacular it could probably be seen from space.

Favre giveth, and Favre throweth away. Even at the end of a season in which he showed up late,
    extorted team owners for a raise, got his coach fired, destroyed his team's Super Bowl
    aspirations, became the subject of a sexting scandal and groveled for sympathy every time he
    stubbed his toe, Favre set a record for perseverance that may never be matched and conducted a
    dozen of the most compelling, funny, insightful news conferences we'll ever witness. It is typical
    of Favre that as his performance and machinations destroyed this season, destroyed what might
    be the last chance for many of his teammates to qualify for a Super Bowl, he remained a popular
    figure in the locker room, a source of humor and a subject of admiration. You can hate Favre or
    love him. But why choose?

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Completely off topic, but you must be set up for 20 posts per page. You can go as high as 40. Settings/General Settings/Posts per page.

And now we return you to the never ending soap opera, otherwise known as the Favre thread.
    You were right, Joe.

You are a regular tech wienie/propeller head.

Thx fer the tip.

The problem with trying to discern the truth of the situation from reading interviews by Favre is that he was caught in one inaccuracy after another throughout the ordeal. Throw in his classic exaggerations in front of the press during his entire career (every year the team was maybe the most talented he ever played on, etc.), and what Favre said about anything doesn't really convince me about the facts, although it can provide insight into his screwed up interpretations.

...and before anyone challenges me to "prove it", don't bother, because I have no desire to waste one second more of my time on this.

I closely followed the saga of Favre and his threatened retirements that started when he hit 30. I even predicted at the end of the 2007 season that he would in fact announce his retirement. Many of you thought I was crazy when I wrote that. Shortly after his retirement, I further stated that I would not be surprised if he later "unretired", but that he would never play another down for the Packers, regardless. Again, many said I was crazy, and that the Packers had to take him back because he was Brett Favre. I made those statements on this board (or whatever one it was that we all were on at that time).

With that as background, I feel comfortable in pontificating on the matter, but will document it only if I feel like it, not on request or demand. Believe me if want, or don't believe me, I really don't care.

By the end of 2007, Favre didn't want to be the QB of the Packers anymore than MM wanted him to be. Not a big deal. No one's fault, just the facts of the situation as I interpreted them.

I blame Mike Sherman for a lot of it. Sherman gave in to Favre time after time. Favre soon saw himself as bigger than the team, even though at heart he was a team player. In essence, he became drunk on the status he had attained. His impulsive personality was not well-suited for it. Throw in his preoccupation with his own desires, and it becomes even worse.

TT and MM were not tolerant of it, and slowly but surely began reining Favre in. They each grew tired of the other, but wanted to end it on their own termas. Favre thought he could play the fans in one final push to get his way, but it backfired and he learned that in fact the Packers had control if he still intended to play.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    I'm not standing down Brett Favre as the FOOTBALL PLAYER he was. And yes he was the most exciting player I have watched also. But did you totally miss the point? I'm not arguing that he was a great player, but how are you connecting his play on the field with his actions off the field as a man?

I'm not even criticizing him for emotional or human weakness, but that doesn't change the fact that he acted like a child in 08.
    It's OK.

As a once fan of his. I'm sorry that you suffered.

Again. I suffered too for awhile but I got over myself.

I've never allowed anyone to cause me to suffer for too long without some personal course of change to alter the impact of that suffering. I'm as a football fan not responsible for the actions or behaviours of any players I choose to admire. Their actions good or bad not being any reflection of who I am.

In terms related to Brett Favre. I hold the bad in my left hand and hope that my right arm is strong enough to support all the good play and entertainment that man gave to me, and weighs in my right hand.

GO PACK GO !

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I've never allowed anyone to cause me to suffer for too long without some personal course of change to alter the impact of that suffering. I'm as a football fan not responsible for the actions or behaviours of any players I choose to admire. Their actions good or bad not being any reflection of who I am.

In terms related to Brett Favre. I hold the bad in my left hand and hope that my right arm is strong enough to support all the good play and entertainment that man gave to me, and weighs in my right hand.

GO PACK GO !
    Are you willing to ignore what is in your left hand and remember only what you hold in your right hand? Is it not the combination of both that make the man? Isn't his legacy defined by both the good and the bad? Aren't we all defined by what we do to fill both your left hand and your right hand?

I was curious about the lawsuit in NY. Many thought Favre would have to testify, maybe even identify his penis under oath, admit to other affairs or attempted affairs, things like that. It was settled yesterday:

http://news.yahoo.com/nyc-lawsuit-al...221200149.html

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Are you willing to ignore what is in your left hand and remember only what you hold in your right hand? Is it not the combination of both that make the man? Isn't his legacy defined by both the good and the bad? Aren't we all defined by what we do to fill both your left hand and your right hand?
    Not at all. For instance if you were an 'NFL GM' who built a superbowl winning team a couple of years ago you still deserve 'a pineapple shoved up your ass' if you were to trade down twice with the 49ers (your 5th or 6th most hated rival). You see its ok to hold double standards when dealing with Brett Favre. He transcends both sports, legend, the institution of marriage, and even morality itself. He is bigger than any franchise even the oldest and most storied franchise. As a 'player' he has EARNED the right to waffle on retirement, and any franchise foolish enough to throwaway his immense gunslinging 'talent' in favor of younger QB will justly suffer his wrath to the tune of a career year with their 2nd biggest rival. Not even hindsight could justify such blasphemy, not even if said younger QB were to win a superbowl, an mvp, and fuck it, a superbowl mvp could such a move be justified. Furthermore, breathing life into the slanderous fictions of the media that suggest Brett Favre is anything more than a 'man' of impeccable character is grounds for those who know 'THE TRUTH' to act as if personally attacked. What is 'wrong' with you?

GO CROCS GO!
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Not at all. For instance if you were an 'NFL GM' who built a superbowl winning team a couple of years ago you still deserve 'a pineapple shoved up your ass' if you were to trade down twice with the 49ers (your 5th or 6th most hated rival). You see its ok to hold double standards when dealing with Brett Favre. He transcends both sports, legend, the institution of marriage, and even morality itself. He is bigger than any franchise even the oldest and most storied franchise. As a 'player' he has EARNED the right to waffle on retirement, and any franchise foolish enough to throwaway his immense gunslinging 'talent' in favor of younger QB will justly suffer his wrath to the tune of a career year with their 2nd biggest rival. Not even hindsight could justify such blasphemy, not even if said younger QB were to win a superbowl, an mvp, and fuck it, a superbowl mvp could such a move be justified. Furthermore, breathing life into the slanderous fictions of the media that suggest Brett Favre is anything more than a 'man' of impeccable character is grounds for those who know 'THE TRUTH' to act as if personally attacked. What is 'wrong' with you?

GO CROCS GO!
    Post of the year!

And cue lengthy incoherent response in 3...2...1...
    Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006