Page 501 of 563 FirstFirst ... 401 451 491 499 500 501 502 503 511 551 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,020 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

[QUOTE=Patler;726600]

I had to remove your post to get mine on Patler. I won't comment on the first portion of your last post of yesterday, Fri. May 24, 2013... Otherwise, I make this response and in 'no way offer it' as an offense towords you, in terms of any creative license :

You and I sit on opposite sides of the Brett Favre discussion and I've always accepted that fact as OK. Because 'at least'... you post on this matter with some decorum and sense of sanity, decency and human tone of respect.

I read your post late last evening Patler. I wanted to sleep on it before using it to illustrate where I stood back in the 2007-08 off season, and throughout all the Brett Favre retiring (and again un-retiring) drama.

Going back to my immediate feelings just following the ... 23-20 O.T. NFC Championship loss to the soon to become Super Bowl Champion, New York GIANTS:

I said to a Packer fan friend of mine. That I felt that would be it for Brett Favre. I said that for three reasons:

1.) Favre had an amazing season overall in 2007. His personal stats a strong contributing factor in the packers 13-3 regular season record. He was voted Team MVP. He was runner-up NFL MVP. Team and NFL records still fell in that loss to the GIANTS. Thus an excellent time to walk away from NFL football. That especially pertinent in terms of NO.

2.) I felt that the relationship between himself and his GM (see Randy Moss etc. etc. ... etc.) and HC had regressed. It was obvious to me as a Packer fan if not to Brett Favre. That a change at QB was imminent because of the status of his heir apparent ... rookie contract.

3.) Aaron Rodgers was ready and deserved his opportunity.

Patler:

I can't say I clearly re-call your comments RE: That Favre would retire; then unretire and never play another snap for the Green Bay Packers. I believe that you did make such comments.

If we check the record and it would be here at Packerrats; because Mad gave us this awesome platform as Packer fans back in 2006.

I doubt even if I did comment on your predictions. That I would 'in all sincerety' have disagreed. I really felt that the game was over for Brett Favre as a Green Bay Packer. I'm writing here that I wasn't one of those fans that truly felt that Brett Favre must be allowed to return behind center in the 2008 season. Frankly as a Brett Favre fan I was suffering given his. In my eyes's a state of bad affairs 'no relationship' with his GM Ted Thompson.

I felt that way because of the 'last straw' Randy Moss bobble by Ted Thompson. Brett Favre's anger over that 'again' in his eyes Ted Thompson mismanagement. That any real bridge of trust between Favre and Ted Thompson was now totally gone.

I'm simply a Packer fan and Ted Thompson's 'ways' in not securing Randy Moss. The killer in that acquisition ... offering a two year contract to Randy Moss not 'only a one year contract' as Randy Moss desired. My packer fan position...Why did that seem 'ass backwards', as so much that Ted Thompson didn't do. To give Brett Favre a real shot.

You surely re-call that I felt that Ted Thompson was brought in to see Brett Favre's exit after the ridiculous way he played in that 2004 playoff Wild card game Vs the Minnesota Vikings. My way back then at JSO 'Ice Fishing story'. If Brett Favre wasn't suspicious or naïve of Ted Thompson; I certainly wasn't. Look at the Green Bay Packer performance in the first two seasons after Ted Thompson came aboard. A combined 12-20 record ! Is that an indication of the impressiveness of the new Packer GM?

Please spare me the fact that the Packer 4-12 record was under and on HC Mike Sherman. Ted Thompson stripped him of far too many assets. One of the best OL's in the NFL became 'daddy ted' SQUAT. Teddy came on in such 'a big' way. All he 'didn't do' was infuriating to this Packer fan. The dissembling of the Green Bay Packer was over the top too obvious.

Yet it's really hard to keep a good man down and thus Brett Favre's amazing 2007 season. That packer fans is how you define...'comeback'.

" By the end of 2007, Favre didn't want to be the QB of the Packers anymore than MM wanted him to be. Not a big deal. No one's fault, just the facts of the situation as I interpreted them." Patler

Comment woodbuck27:

See 2.) above.

Ted Thompson has to be one of the absolutely 'most frustrating' men I've ever encountered in Pro Sports 'as a fan'. I rank him right up there with George 'Punch' Imlach of the Toronto Maple Leafs in terms of my fan frustration if not distain.

Imlach's name in my books is: George 'Prick' Imlach.

Yup ... George 'Prick' Imlach and Ted 'slow teddy' Thompson... Boy Ohh boy ! Both of these men have certainly left an impression on me.

" I blame Mike Sherman for a lot of it. Sherman gave in to Favre time after time."

Comment woodbuck27:

Dear Lord... will the blame on poor ole Mike Sherman ever end in Packer Nation!? That man did the best he could with what he had and he was assessed and hired and kept on by the Green Bay Packers brass. When Ted Thompson was brought in as 'the hatchet man'. Why in the sake of anything sacred was Mike Sherman maintained to 'only', as it was evidently obvious. Be retained to suffer such an incredible embarrassment as a 4-12 season!??

That was simply put...'just' sick. Clearly the Packer Brass 'only' did half a job in that regard.

Ohh maybe we can excuse that one with the ole...20/20 hindsight excuse.

" Favre soon saw himself as bigger than the team, even though at heart he was a team player. In essence, he became drunk on the status he had attained. His impulsive personality was not well-suited for it. Throw in his preoccupation with his own desires, and it becomes even worse." Patler

Comment woodbuck27:

Patler, your layman's knowledge of psychological profiling is profound. I'm learning that:

There's where being a Packer fan 'insider', certainly has it's advantages or (question to self) is it really 'turned' ... disadvantages?

Where you Patler. Like so many truly 'in the know'; over us less privileged Packer fans. Can turn too being so incredibly judgemental. I can 'only' really shake my head. Won't wish you good luck with that.

I'm just wondering as so many judged Brett Favre where did the Green Bay Packers get it so ironically wrong offering Brett Favre a $20 million$ bribe to stay retired. that in return for some personal service contract extending over a ten (10) year period. Why not simply say goodbye and good riddance to his 'Rat Ass'? Ohh Dear... did the Green Bay Packers Brass make another error!?

Maybe a part of that personal service contract was that Favre would have to attend certain Packer games at Lambeau field wearing some mascot uniform!? Yea! Dress him up in 'a Gorilla uniform'.

"TT and MM were not tolerant of it, and slowly but surely began reining Favre in. They each grew tired of the other, but wanted to end it on their own terms. Favre thought he could play the fans in one final push to get his way, but it backfired and he learned that in fact the Packers had control if he still intended to play." Patler

Comment woodbuck27:

Why does there have to be in your analysis a 'good cop - bad cop' thing going on here?

It's simply this:

Brett Favre decides to retire (again). As he later looked at it and inspite for any justifiable reasons for such a false retirement announcement. TT and MM jumped all over that and moved straight on to the really 'only' direction they had. To make Aaron Rodgers the Green Bay Packers NO. 1 QB.

Then the Brett Favre waffling begins. He has a strong >>>to stronger desire to play again. His fire is lit...he can taste another season and more as a Green Bay Packer. When it really sets in that that avenue is no longer open. Favre asks for his release. Under 'no condition', not even a $20 million$ bribe will derail his desire for another Super Bowl ring. He then discovers that the Green Bay Packers cannot release or even trade him. Heck! Forget that $20 million$ bribe. His locker was going to be ...or was sent to him. He must therefore remain retired.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This is Brett Favre gentleman/ladies. I DON'T THINK SO !

In order for arguably the GREATEST Green Bay Packer of ALL TIME to exercise 'HIS' Freedom Of Rights. The NFL HO must put pressure on the Green Bay Packers to act with some respect for that and Brett Favre. Even after the Mike McCarthy sideways 'Indian Giver' bullshit talk:

" Sure Brett ...you can compete for the NO. QB spot as long as you agree that Aaron Rodgers will get by far NO. 1 billing in all Pre-Season games. "

It was certainly now time for Brett Favre to cut bait and get out of Green Bay. The play me or trade me scenario was certainly deserved after his 2007 season. More certainly deserved after all his service to the Green bay Packers. Yes he was well paid for that service but all that went with his career. That career being over that top...amazing...or well yes...LEGENDARY.

GO PACKERS !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Dear Lord...I just realized that my last pooooooosssssstttt.

Was the 10,000th post on this incredible thread. Dedicated to 'an incredible' Green Bay Packer, Brett Favre.

Edit: NOT !! My post in response to Patler was 'in fact' the 10,001st post. Iron Mike made the 10,000th post on this thread.

CONGRATULATIONS ! Iron Mike !!

In any case:

Wherever you are MOOB DEEP. THANKS for starting this thread.

Also Mad. Thanks for maintaining this thread on Packerrats.

Thanks Mad...For persevering for the general good. For holding strong under such a barrage by those members of Packerrats that hold distain for Brett Favre. Who wrongly desired anything about Brett Favre to simply disappear.

Such nonsense ... as how many LEGENDS ever end up as anything but 'a LEGEND' !?

Hear ! Hear !! To >>> MOOB DEEP.

Hear ! Hear !!! To MadTownPacker.

Hear ! Hear !!!! To Packerrats !!!!

Hear Hear !!!!! To 'the Legendary'... Brett Favre.

Hear Hear !!!!!! To THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !!!!!!

With this 10,002nd post on this thread >>>Please Mad...

Let this incredible thread stay alive on our Packer forum. PLEASE !

I cannot possible express my extreme delight at having the honour of being the member of Packerrats to make this post.

Again....Thank You Mad.

GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-25-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Dear Lord...I just realized that my last pooooooosssssstttt.

Was the 10,000th post on this incredible thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! 10,000th post goes to Iron Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Football been very very good to me

Hear ! Hear !! To >>> MOOB DEEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    Thanks Scott for all your ahhh.... efforts... to push this thread to the TOP of Packerrats ...much appreciated by this Packerrat..

And this too....

I loved Mr. MAGOO. errrrrr ... maybe not in your case.

When I saw the movie 'UP'. It was almost like a revival of his character.

GO PACKERS !

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If Favre didn't retire in 2008 what in the hell was that press conference all about? If you don't think he retired then that PC was a fake and a lie. Don't come back with "he played again in NY and MN." Nobody knew for sure if he was gonna play again. TT and company aren't that clairvoyant. If you want to believe Favre got screwed over by the Packers then fine, go ahead and keep that fantasy. IMO it was Favre who initiated the entire mess by retiring in the first place. He didn't have to go anywhere. Had he just kept his yap shut and returned in 2008 he would have been our starter. The real question you have to ask yourself is why did he leave a team that just weeks ago was on the cusp of the Super Bowl unless he felt he couldn't keep Rodgers in his place as his backup?
    WOW! Your scaring me.

Why so gruff !?

I can't handle 'the darkness'. Scared !!!

PACKERS !

Football been very very good to me

Iron Mike...my mistake. CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

After I posted I looked at the Packers Index and saw that the post count for the thread was sitting at 10,000 and 'just thought ' that my post must be the 10,000th. I was surprized that the count had risen so fast as we were some 40 odd posts removed from the 10,000 mark when I went to bed last night.

Iron Mike you get credit for the 10,000th post on this thread. likely you'll receive some large prize for that achievement. If I was you I'd try my best to track down MOOB DEEP and give that prize to him.

In conclusion:

My written post or response to Patlers post is 'in fact ...the 10,001st post on this thread. An honour indeed in 'it's own sense', as any future post will be on this thread >>> going forward.

The Favre thread is indeed a Legendary thread.

A growing tribute to the LEGEND that's Brett Favre.

THE LEGEND NO. 4.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falco View Post
    Post of the year!

And cue lengthy incoherent response in 3...2...1...
    Oh geez. I wrote this at 3:30 AM last night while I was knee-walking shitfaced. You'd almost have to be to read anything in this turd of a thread but then I logged on to see I had a pile of reps haha.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I was in a nursing home home sun room visiting an elderly aunt and two old men in wheelchairs were arguing with each other about two completely different things for a long time until the nurse came and wheeled one of them away. One would say, "Ahh fer crying out loud you can't lay a gravel roadbed over the asphalt I don't care what you say!" And the other one would reply, "He hit 25 homers that year and his average dropped to .285!" And so on for a long time. I think it was hard for those guys to die without getting a few of these things off of their chest.

This thread is almost better.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by easy cheesy View Post
    Congratulations Packerrats !

The Favre THREAD >>> a Crowning Achievement.

So many wonderful contributors. I know that we're all so proud.

A GREAT PACKER FAN CHEER FOR ALL.

LOOK How Happy Brett Favre is for Packerrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Your post reminded me of something written about Favre late in 2010.

Brett Favre will stand on the Vikings' sideline for the last time today. Thus will end one of the
    most volatile episodes in Minnesota sports history, an 18-month window in which Favre
    sequentially proved right anyone who ever praised or doubted him.

Favre will end his career as a limping contradiction. In a society that revels in either-or debates,
    Favre has proved that "all of the above" can be the correct assessment of a polarizing individual.
    You can take either side in a debate about Favre and be right. He is at once the most prolific
    passer in NFL history and the most erratic great quarterback to ever play the game.

He is renowned for his fourth-quarter comebacks and clutch play, and yet has thrown more
    season-destroying interceptions than any quarterback in history.

He is the toughest man in the annals of a brutal sport -- having started 297 consecutive games at a
    position that is the equivalent of a clay pigeon at a shotgun range -- and the most emotionally
    needy player ever to don a helmet.

He is a charismatic leader who can unite a locker room and inspire a huddle, and he is a divisive
    figure who was known in New York for ignoring his teammates.

He wouldn't tutor Aaron Rodgers, his chosen successor in Green Bay , yet he volunteers his time
    coaching high school kids in Hattiesburg , Miss. He launched or improved the careers of a dozen
    coaches -- including Andy Reid, Jon Gruden and Mike Holmgren -- and ended the head coaching
    career of the man who brought him to Minnesota and helped him make $28 million in 18
    months.
    He craves the spotlight but won't dress for it, favoring old jeans, sweaty golf hats and perpetual
    stubble even during news conferences watched by millions.
    He shuns the media five days a week -- a writer from Washington , D.C. , once told me it was
    easier to land a one-on-one interview with the President than with Favre -- yet manipulates
    national reporters every week to disseminate dubious messages.

He will forever be remembered as an iconic Packer, yet he began his career with Atlanta , visited
    New York and chose to finish his career with the Packers' arch-rival, intent on beating the
    franchise that made him famous. He is a Hall of Fame quarterback who became a symbol of
    longevity, and yet each of the four teams that employed him was glad to see him go.

He prides himself, as he once told me, in "playing like a kid," even when teammates put a
    rocking chair in front of his locker. He "loves the game" yet can't bring himself to show up for
    offseason workouts or the opening day of training camp.

He is a Southern good ol' boy who made his reputation on the Frozen Tundra. He reveres the
    record book and NFL history but once flopped on the ground to help New York Giants defensive
    end Michael Strahan break a sack record.

All of which makes you wonder: When Brett Favre looks in the mirror, does his reflection appear
    in 3-D? Because Favre is so internally conflicted, so relentlessly contradictory, offering a final
    assessment of him isn't easy. Remember, it was a year ago that Favre was preparing to help the
    Vikings whip the Dallas Cowboys in the Metrodome, in one of the most impressive
    victories in franchise history. It was less than a year ago that Favre was preparing to run the
    Vikings' offense up and down the field against the eventual Super Bowl champion
    Saints in the deafening Superdome. At the age of 40, in his first season in purple, Favre came
    within one pass of taking the Vikings to a Super Bowl they might well have won. Therein lies the
    Favre conundrum: He was the reason the Vikings were able to come within one of Favre's
    startlingly amateurish interceptions of doing what had never been done before in 50 years of
    Vikings history, and he was the reason the Vikings followed that thrilling season by with an
    implosion so spectacular it could probably be seen from space.

Favre giveth, and Favre throweth away. Even at the end of a season in which he showed up late,
    extorted team owners for a raise, got his coach fired, destroyed his team's Super Bowl
    aspirations, became the subject of a sexting scandal and groveled for sympathy every time he
    stubbed his toe, Favre set a record for perseverance that may never be matched and conducted a
    dozen of the most compelling, funny, insightful news conferences we'll ever witness. It is typical
    of Favre that as his performance and machinations destroyed this season, destroyed what might
    be the last chance for many of his teammates to qualify for a Super Bowl, he remained a popular
    figure in the locker room, a source of humor and a subject of admiration. You can hate Favre or
    love him. But why choose?

Sounds like something off of Grantland.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    I was in a nursing home home sun room visiting an elderly aunt and two old men in wheelchairs were arguing with each other about two completely different things for a long time until the nurse came and wheeled one of them away. One would say, "Ahh fer crying out loud you can't lay a gravel roadbed over the asphalt I don't care what you say!" And the other one would reply, "He hit 25 homers that year and his average dropped to .285!" And so on for a long time. I think it was hard for those guys to die without getting a few of these things off of their chest.

This thread is almost better.
    This thread is like good pizza and a banana split for desert.

Delicious.

Iron Mike...my mistake. CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
    If I was you I'd try my best to track down MOOB DEEP and give that prize to him.