Page 503 of 563 FirstFirst ... 3 403 453 493 501 502 503 504 505 513 553 ... LastLast
Results 10,041 to 10,060 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Maybe PaCkFan_n_MD is right, we shouldn't retire his number................or anyone else's in the future. I thought I heard/read somewhere that the league frowns on that now. Enshrining him in the Packer HOF should suffice and we wouldn't find the need to rehash this again for the umpteenth time.
    Sorry but 'again', we're talking Brett Favre here:

Brett Favre's NO. 4 will 'in fact' be retired as his service, dedication and outstanding play as a 'GREAT' Green Bay Packer 'only' deserves 'special 'recognition.

SPECIAL recognition set apart from most other Packers; by 'the fact of his number being retired'.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Some really nice posts on these last couple pages. Nice job md, Patler, everyone.

Woodbuck, not to be rude, I consider you a friend in life, but not a fellow Packer fan. The things Favre did when he left and his retirement games felt like a slap in the face to me, as a Packer fan. Anyone who was a Packer fan during that era and didn't feel that slap in the face, does not experience the Packers the way I do. And sometimes I get the feeling you want the Packers to fail, like you can't wait for an opportunity to jump down our throats, like every moment is an opportunity for revenge. Sometimes when things go wrong, I don't even want to open this site so I don't have to see what you and a few others are writing because it's going to be so fucking negative and disheartening. It's like there are Packer fans and then there is you (and a few others), who wants us to pay for this Favre thing.

md said it very well above, Favre not accepting the honors the Packers are offering him is yet another slap in the face as a Packer fan.

Responding to Patler, about the Packers possibly regretting offering Favre the things they did. . . . That may very well be. But it's like anything else. The people you tie yourself to have a very strong ability to hurt you. Favre was so closely tied to the Packers and was so influential with the fans, he had a very strong ability to hurt the Packers, and he used that ability in all of it's horror (or glory for you, woodbuck, since you consider that guy glorious.) And who is closer to Favre than the Packers were? His wife and childeren. Look at the humiliation he placed at their feet. The closer you get to that man, the more severe the burn will be, and none had it worse than his family.

packer_md strikes me as a very strong, regular, respectful, honorable person. I use his/her position as a very good example of how most of humanity is affected by Favre's ations. If Favre doesn't wake up soon with some humility, if he keeps dragging this on. He's going to further taint his reputation by having the appearance of not being able to let go, not being able to move on, not being a person most people respect. I hope he doesn't. He's lost the respect of a lot of people with the pictures he was sending of his penis, the creepy messages, the cheating on his wife, the tantrums he threw during the retirement-unretirement process, and so much more. For every slap Favre puts on the face of the Packers, there are millions of people watching, shaking their heads, and I think it's helping build the legacy of the Packers as a great, honorable organization. Everyone feels the urge to slap back, but not doing so, sometimes, taking the pain with dignity and courage, can sometimes build more respect than a slap back ever could. I know what legacy I'd rather be associated with, Woodbuck. The way you support Favre, honestly, makes me lose respect for you. What he did I cannot respect. The fact that you admire/honor that man disgusts me.
    I just read this again and this whole post by you JH against what you wrote right here:

" md said it very well above, Favre not accepting the honors the Packers are offering him is yet another slap in the face as a Packer fan. " JH

JH which is it going to be man?

Do you imagine that Brett Favre would put his wife (and family/friends) through the possible pain of having to deal with the hatred that you JH and fans like you. Might display as the Green Bay Packers 'now' feel the need to get his number retired and him inducted into the Green Bay Packers HOF?

Get that done rather that having it left undone and Brett Favre becoming a first ballot NFL HOFer. All the embarrassment on the Green Bay Packers and that inevitability.

It's certainly time 'NOW' for 'Damage Control' on the part of the Green Bay Packers. When you get right down to the brass tacks of it all:

Right is simply right.

What you and so many cannot see is that none of this in on Brett Favre.

This entire mess and Brett Favre and Green Bay Packer is on the Green Bay Packers and just how badly they handled Brett Favre before they traded him just prior to the 2008 season to the New York Jets. When the NFL HO has to intervene. You damn well know something is 'stinking in the State of Denmark'.

Your Packer fanism is so extreme and like some other's here. That extremism as a die hard Packer fan, leaves your vision clouded; clouded because of your always extreme negative view and opinion of Brett Favre.

No one hates Favre better than you JH. I've observed you post that hatred over...and over...and over... time and time again. I've mostly ignored that and your stance 'there'; because you do offer other things here that I enjoy. You also can hate away as long as you can deal with owning it JH. I just wouldn't want to be like you and that hate.

Whatever fills your boots...rocks your boat man. I'm simply happy to say:

I'm glad or fortunate that I've chosen to take a higher road.

JH let me try to clarify this matter;

Clearly none of this desire on the part of the Green Bay Packers to get this ceremony for Brett Favre done... soon. Has any consideration 'on the surface' for Brett Favre. As a Packer fan you have to look at this deeper.

As I see it. This is much to do with 'damage control'. Damage control that I believe the Green Bay Packers are willing to address before it gets too worse. As Packer fan to Packer fan. My advice to you JH. Simply try to see it clearly as I do.

As I the simple Packer fan that I am (and all Brett Favre business aside) DO SEE IT !

Brett Favre has expressed 'again', over and over, his heartfelt love for the fans of Green Bay. His love for these fans remains, inspire of your hatred (disguised as disappointment...whatever). His love remains inspire of the hatred that more Packer fans, and certainly more here at Packerrats, than 'just you' JH; have demonstrated since Ted Thompson became the Packer GM.

I go back 8 years with posters here. The hatred I've read from posters here (and Brett Favre). Is simply put... 'shocking, too very alarming'. I've been disgusted with the hatred from some posters here. So often I sucked that up. Many former posters at Packerrats couldn't deal with that hatred, and simply disappeared.

Hatred does 'zero good'.

I've tolerated it being a witness to it all, by choice. The pain of that has been at times, almost anger provoking 'for me'. Somehow I've managed a certain strength and level of tolerance for posters here that clearly didn't deserve that. Somehow and to a remarkable extent for me. Knowing my potential to caste wrath or really get pissed off. I've at least decently managed to not allow such hatred and the accompanying rubbish to get under my skin.

I've been strong at Packerrats because I am

You choose to 'simply' go on hating JH.

I'll stay with who I am and that's got nothing to do with hating JH.

If you feel that hating Brett Favre makes you a better Green Bay Packer fan that me not hating him.

Well ... I'm here 'simply' shaking my head.

GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-26-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Maybe PaCkFan_n_MD is right, we shouldn't retire his number................or anyone else's in the future. I thought I heard/read somewhere that the league frowns on that now. Enshrining him in the Packer HOF should suffice and we wouldn't find the need to rehash this again for the umpteenth time.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

Brett Favre's NO. 4 will 'in fact' be retired as his service, dedication and outstanding play as a 'GREAT' Green Bay Packer 'only' deserves 'special 'recognition.

SPECIAL recognition set apart from most other Packers; by 'the fact of his number being retired'.
    I've never been a big fan of the whole number retirement thing. To me, if done at all, it should be an extremely rare occurrence, reserved for individuals who show a commitment and dedication to the team that goes far beyond their athletic performance. It should be awarded to those who truly became Packers for life, and aided the organization beyond their performances on the field. I recognize that in today's "it's all about business" environment for pro sports it will be hard to develop that relationship, but so be it, in my opinion.

I went on record here as disagreeing with the retirement of #92.

Considering his venomous attack on the organization, his attempts to undermine the organization, his continued cold shoulder toward the organization and the exposure of the person he was while a player, I am no more interested in the retirement of #4 than I was #92.

If the league frowns on retiring numbers and every time we discuss Favre a civil war breaks out I think it would be wise to shelve this entire number retirement issue and move on. I suspect nobody will ever wear #4 again if we don't officially retire it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I've often wondered how much they regret having announced it so soon after he retired the first time. I think it was probably done to "seal" the retirement, thinking the announcement of a date certain would nail the door shut on a possible reconsideration on his part. Of course, it didn't do that, and now it is an awkward commitment that will continually be asked about until it finally occurs.
    I will never understand their attempts to put the genie back in the bottle, though I am not certain if the jersey retirement was pre or post unretirement news. Even Thompson understood what might happen and kept a large (even for him) amount of cap space open in what had to be a backup plan for his unretirement.

It was very clear that after the March/May aborted comeback that they did not have a clear fall back plan. I wonder to what degree Thompson and McCarthy were served poorly by the Packer PR team and admin.

Just another remember that you should careful what you wish for because I used to wonder HOW the relationship between Marino and the Dolphins got so bad so quickly.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I've often wondered how much they regret having announced it so soon after he retired the first time. I think it was probably done to "seal" the retirement, thinking the announcement of a date certain would nail the door shut on a possible reconsideration on his part. Of course, it didn't do that, and now it is an awkward commitment that will continually be asked about until it finally occurs.
    I wonder if his willingness to blandly be welcoming to the prospect of the jersey retirement helps or hurts the process.

One the one hand it is clear he is leaving the door open. On the other hand it looks like he is talking to someone who has already hung up the phone AND it just gives everyone a chance to rehash the distance between the two parties.

Plus, when its time to actually start to discuss the event, he has one less reason to talk to Favre directly.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I will never understand their attempts to put the genie back in the bottle, though I am not certain if the jersey retirement was pre or post unretirement news. Even Thompson understood what might happen and kept a large (even for him) amount of cap space open in what had to be a backup plan for his unretirement.

It was very clear that after the March/May aborted comeback that they did not have a clear fall back plan. I wonder to what degree Thompson and McCarthy were served poorly by the Packer PR team and admin.

Just another remember that you should careful what you wish for because I used to wonder HOW the relationship between Marino and the Dolphins got so bad so quickly.
    If I remember correctly, Bob Harlan actually mentioned an intention to retire #4 at about the the time White's ceremony was held. He said the hope was that it would be used for many years yet, but retired when Favre was done with it. He talked about the offense/defense representation from championship eras.

Then, it was brought up again as soon as Favre announced his retirement, and the date for it was announced very soon thereafter, maybe even at the press conference.

I wonder if his willingness to blandly be welcoming to the prospect of the jersey retirement helps or hurts the process.

One the one hand it is clear he is leaving the door open. On the other hand it looks like he is talking to someone who has already hung up the phone AND it just gives everyone a chance to rehash the distance between the two parties.

Plus, when its time to actually start to discuss the event, he has one less reason to talk to Favre directly.
    Favre never sounds enthused about it. Kind of like, "Yes, eventually I will have that colonoscopy that I know I should have."

Woodbuck, not to be rude, I consider you a friend in life, but not a fellow Packer fan.

The way you support Favre, honestly, makes me lose respect for you. What he did I cannot respect. The fact that you admire/honor that man disgusts me.

it will be a disaster, a boo-fest. everyone will leave shaking their heads. let the nfl put him in the hof and forget about it.

J

You've called me out... thus I'm placed in a position where my integrity demands a response to you JH.

I try my damnest not to judge any person. I constantly struggle with that conviction. I try to like all people including members here. Just as members here judge and dislike me. I try to ignore that in terms of 'again'... who I feel I must be. See JH....I have to live with me.

Your not 'only' out to lunch man. Your obsessed with your needs to hate Brett Favre. To characterize your feeling as anything less that that negative emotion, is to delude yourself. Your hatred is so very slanted that you extend that hatred to me. A five decade plus Green Bay Packer fan. For that you as the man you are 'only' deserve one clear and succinct rebuttal and not all I've written to this point in this post:

JH....FUCK OFF 'with the creepy nonsense'. Please.

GO PACK GO!

Yeah I have thought about that as well. The packers went through his will he/won’t he retire saga for so many years before and needed to know what direction they were going in the upcoming season with Rodgers on deck. Setting a date to retire his number so soon was probably the organizations way of trying to cement his decision.

Also, unfortunately the packers were kind of at his mercy and he knew that. He knew he could leverage his status and love fans had of him and I’m sure the packers knew this as well and were worried about the fall out that ensued. So the number retirement and future position with the team offer was probably a way of hoping to avoid a potential mess.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

I think the team is worried about sending out an offer and having him reject it. Mark Murphy coming out saying that it needs to happen soon is like dipping your toes in the water before you jump in. They want to hear him say something to show he is still not bitter over what happened. Sadly, he still seems like he is acting like a child and if he is not careful he might alienate more fans (well maybe not WB lol).

Nah. It will be easier than everyone imagines to let bygones be bygones. In one of his statements, woodbuck made an oblique mention to the number of Hall of Famers who ended their career elsewhere, which is entirely true. Favre is not in an entirely unique position.

Favre has some explaining to do about a few negative comments (the Millen deal is the toughest nut to crack) but many of the others can be brushed aside easily. An athlete wanting desperately to prove himself against his old team (move to Vikings) is not hard to understand. Jordan hated his GM in Chicago, went on to play and own in the NBA elsewhere, and still has a relationship with the Bulls. Disliking Thompson, or being mad at him is not a disqualification.

No one is Green Bay is going to get more up in arms over texting Sterger. Their hands are all dirty since they have for years refused to put rumor to ink (or bits) about the 5,000 other ladies he was seen with in WI bars during his 16 years.

Tampering could be dicey but legal tampering happens all the time and he can just spend that time making fun of Childress and recalling his friendship with Bevell.

Multiple dalliances with retirement has been done to death and is not going to generate headlines or boos unless he says something noteworthy.

Wishing the Bears to beat the Packers and knock them out of the playoffs can be explained as still being mad OR just kind words to Urlacher.

Most Packer fans I know (outside of here) make fun of him but in the same breath say they could never really hold anything against him as he was greatly responsible for the Packers' resurgence.

The biggest hurdle to Favre's re-acceptance among fans might be Favre. Put aside proud and insistent and even enmity toward Thompson/McCarthy, Favre now knows he was treated very kindly in Green Bay by locals and the press (outside of his last summer). He also knows that halo has been knocked off for many. And he may be hesitant to jump back into public life here not knowing what his footing will be like. Not only might fans seem unpredictable for him, he also knows he spent the last decade ignoring the local beat guys.

He does have some fences to mend. But its not anything insurmountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    In fairness to Favre, it may be he is reluctant to return to Green Bay because he is afraid of what the fan reaction would be. He might think more time is needed to let time heal wounds. We just don't know, but it is one possibility.
    Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. If he were worried about the fans you would hear him says things like "I miss the fans in GB" not "yes Greg you should go play for the Vikings."

I've never been a big fan of the whole number retirement thing. To me, if done at all, it should be an extremely rare occurrence, reserved for individuals who show a commitment and dedication to the team that goes far beyond their athletic performance. It should be awarded to those who truly became Packers for life, and aided the organization beyond their performances on the field. I recognize that in today's "it's all about business" environment for pro sports it will be hard to develop that relationship, but so be it, in my opinion.

I went on record here as disagreeing with the retirement of #92.

Considering his venomous attack on the organization, his attempts to undermine the organization, his continued cold shoulder toward the organization and the exposure of the person he was while a player, I am no more interested in the retirement of #4 than I was #92.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...-for-the-bears

Mike Ditka's retired jersey will be the last for the Bears

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer ... May 26, 2013 11:49 am ET

" When the Bears last week announced they will retire the No. 89 jersey of Mike Ditka, it was a long time coming for the iconic coach and former tight end who dominated his position when he was in Chicago from 1961-66.

And for those great Bears players whose numbers haven't yet been retired, the wait for them to be honored in this fashion will be even longer. That's because the team has said it will not retire any other numbers.

Ditka is the 14th former Bears player to have his number retired. And unless the team is going to begin issuing triple-digit numbers, Chicago -- which has retired more than any other team in the league -- risks running out of numbers if it keeps plastering old-time jerseys on the wall and taking them out of stock.

But Ditka certainly is worthy to be honored in this way, and now he joins players like Walter Payton, Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers to have his number taken out of circulation.

"When you think of all the great Bears players who have had their jerseys retired, I can't say that there's any greater honor," Ditka said. ..."
    Fr. LINK

If the league frowns on retiring numbers and every time we discuss Favre a civil war breaks out I think it would be wise to shelve this entire number retirement issue and move on. I suspect nobody will ever wear #4 again if we don't officially retire it anyway.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...-4-brett-favre

** "Aaron Rodgers said Wednesday that it's time for the "healing process to begin" between the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre, adding that he hopes the quarterback's No. 4 can be retired by the team before he is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame." Fr. LINK

"I was totally OK with being out front of that, and I'm very secure of the things I've been able to accomplish with the team and individually here in Green Bay, and excited about the chance to see him again and get his number retired here before he goes into Canton," Aaron Rodgers

Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy said earlier this month during the team's Tailgate Tour that he wanted Favre "back involved in the organization soon" and expressed his desire to retire Favre's number at "*** the right time for him and us." ..." FR. LINK

*** the right time for him (Brett Favre) and us (the Green Bay Packers).

If I'm having a party I may invite you to my party. I shouldn't necessarily EXPECT you to show up.

The party we're disgissing here is huge. The Green Bay Packers realize the importance of retiring Brett Favre's number; as well as inductioning this Green Bay Packer LEGEND into the Green Bay Packers HOF.

Posters here can speculate any negative and that will NOT wash with me. It's all 'moot' noise to me.

Better to simply get used to this fact Packerrats (like Favre on your own time or not) and whatever it's not changing the water on the beans:

When Brett Favre decides that such a ceremony at Lambeau field is appropriate and in consideration of all matters:

a) Brett Favre's number will be retired.

b) Brett Favre will be inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame.

I make this prediction when that huge day for the Green Bay Packers arrives:

Brett Favre will also as a part of his acceptance of this honor. Receive a resounding applause of approval for his outstanding contributions as a Green Bay Packer player of extreme positive distinction. I'll be such a proud Packer fan on Brett Favre's 'SPECIAL DAY again at Lambeau Field'. Just another of so many SPECIAL Day's that Green Bay Packer experienced at Lambeau Field.

That day will be a moment, in my five decades plus as a proud GREEN BAY PACKER fan.

I sure look forward to that.

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.