Page 509 of 563 FirstFirst ... 9 409 459 499 507 508 509 510 511 519 559 ... LastLast
Results 10,161 to 10,180 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Don "Magic Man" Majkowski greeting Brett Favre before a Packers game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Maj...anapolis_Colts

On a play on September 20, 1992 against the Cincinnati Bengals, Majkowski tore a ligament in his ankle. He was replaced after the play by Brett Favre, who completed the game. Favre went on to start in every consecutive Packers game through the 2007 season.

Indianapolis Colts (1993-1994)

Majkowski left Green Bay after the 1992 season. He signed with the Indianapolis Colts as a backup for two seasons.

Detroit Lions (1995-1996)

Don Majkowski finished his football career for the 1995 and 1996 Detroit Lions as backup quarterback to starter Scott Mitchell. In his final season Majkowski faced Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers on November 3, 1996 completing 15 of 32 passes for 153 yards, 1 TD and no interceptions in a 28-10 Lions loss. He was also sacked 5 times.

Majkowski's final start was played in Detroit in a win against the Seattle Seahawks. He completed 18 of 23 passes (78% completion percentage) for 157 yards, 1 TD and an interception for a passer rating of 91.5. The Lions won the game 17-16 and improved their record to 5 wins and 6 losses.

However, this was the last win for the Lions as they finished the 1996 season with a 5-11 won-loss record as Scott Mitchell started all five games.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Majkowski had real skill, but that ankle injury was killer. The guy still can't walk.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

He seemed to be one of those guys who had some good skills, though not great skills, but was a damn good leader and kind of inspiring to watch. I liked him, but I did recognize that he did not have a rocket arm.

Still, I watched him in the old Pontiac Silverdome beat the Lions on the last play of the game on a pass to...I'm not sure who. The Pack was down around the ten yard line, time running out. I still believe Majik was targeting an underneath receiver, maybe a tight end, but the pass was overthrown, and ended up looking like a pinpoint bullet shot to the wide receiver who caught it for the winning TD.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Apropos of nothing except retired players, can I ask why are the Jets and Browns engaging in public dances with their ex stars?

Jim Brown just got a job that seems like the football equivalent to featherbedding and as he was talking about it, continued to take swipes at the previous administration for freezing him out.

And the Jets are having a back and forth with Joe Namath about Sanchez/Tebow. Mostly though, its Namath going forth to bloviate.

Now I love Jim Brown as a football player as much as anyone can, not having seen him play live at any time in his career. But what on earth do you have to gain by engaging with these guys with roles on the team?

I know why radio shows have them on, because the name alone moves the meter. But why does anyone take what they say seriously at this point?

These guys are icons, PB. You know that. You employ them with your organization to associate your current "brand" with the old, fond memories of the organization's iconic players. That's pretty straightforward, I think.

It's just that you've got to live with the baggage of Jim Brown going bitter on the old regime and Joe Namath showing up drunk. You hope people will ignore or excuse all that and just associate them with their old brilliance. Not too different than what the Pack will do with Favre. You hope, when the fans see him, they remember touchdown passes and helmet-pumps and not penis pics and sexts.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

majik had everything except the cannon arm. cool in the pocket, smooth moves, smart, fast, very good arm, lots of heart. injuries ruined him...rotator cuff, ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    majik had everything except the cannon arm. cool in the pocket, smooth moves, smart, fast, very good arm, lots of heart. injuries ruined him...rotator cuff, ankle.
    A killer mullet

Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    A killer mullet

I know a lot of women who were completely in love with Don and could barely be bothered to look at Favre. That mullet was Majik.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Favre's viener would have looked at least 20% bigger if he had Majik's hands.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

The first football book I read was a book about the Majik to Sharpe and Montana to Rice connections. I used to watch the Lindy Infante show. I was 8, my sister 9. I remember she had the gull to fight with me over the TV. I wanted the Packer game, she the carebears. I was Majik one year for halloween. Those Packers (Majik, Sharpe, Tony Bennett) were larger than life to me. Sharpe was my favorite player. WR was my favorite position. God, those were the days. Those pictures bring back memories.

My older son is a Giants fan. God, that urked me at first. He does have a little bit of his old man in him though. He knew almost every penalty in the game by the time he was 7 or 8 years old. There were times we'd be watching football, his mom would ask a question and he'd answer all annoyed, eyes rolling, "that's illegal contact, it was before the ball was in the air" or something like that. Good shit

It used to piss me off that he was a Giants fan, but I think he did that just so he could be his own person and not have to be like his dad. I started liking the Giants too, cuz he does, and now we're football buddies. He's helped me expand my football horizons and I support him even though he didn't follow in the family tradition.

I love football.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 06-21-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    The first football book I read was a book about the Majik to Sharpe and Montana to Rice connections. I used to watch the Lindy Infante show. I was 8, my sister 9. I remember she had the gull to fight with me over the TV. I wanted the Packer game, she the carebears. I was Majik one year for halloween. Those Packers (Majik, Sharpe, Tony Bennett) were larger than life to me. Sharpe was my favorite player. WR was my favorite position. God, those were the days. Those pictures bring back memories.

My older son is a Giants fan. God, that urked me at first. He does have a little bit of his old man in him though. He knew almost every penalty in the game by the time he was 7 or 8 years old. There were times we'd be watching football, his mom would ask a question and he'd answer all annoyed, eyes rolling, "that's illegal contact, it was before the ball was in the air" or something like that. Good shit

It used to piss me off that he was a Giants fan, but I think he did that just so he could be his own person and not have to be like his dad. I started liking the Giants too, cuz he does, and now we're football buddies. He's helped me expand my football horizons and I support him even though he didn't follow in the family tradition.

I love football.
    I loved this post from you JH.

Sometimes I wonder what life as a father would have been had I fathered a son. It was three daughters and two of those gals were very athletic. So that pleased me all the same.

I really enjoyed this post JH. I too loved Sterling Sharpe's days as a Packer and today he's as loyal a Green Bay Packer fan as ever. Sterling Sharpe eats and breathes Packers on NFL Access during the regular season. I never miss his segments. He's a very solid and sure analyst.

I'm impressed that you followed the Packers at the age of eight. I wasn't becoming a Packer fan until about the age of twelve, or just prior to Vince Lombardi's arrival. The Packers were God Awful before he came to Green Bay. Then it became really great. All those Yankee fans could brag but Bob (a close friend)and I. Had the Green Bay Packers.

I'll die loving the Green Bay Packers.

GO PACK GO !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post

I love football.
    You didn't disown him for not being a Packer fan? JH, you do know there's a loyalty commission being formed in another thread to determine who the "real" Packer fans are...this isn't going to look good, man.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He seemed to be one of those guys who had some good skills, though not great skills, but was a damn good leader and kind of inspiring to watch. I liked him, but I did recognize that he did not have a rocket arm.

Still, I watched him in the old Pontiac Silverdome beat the Lions on the last play of the game on a pass to...I'm not sure who. The Pack was down around the ten yard line, time running out. I still believe Majik was targeting an underneath receiver, maybe a tight end, but the pass was overthrown, and ended up looking like a pinpoint bullet shot to the wide receiver who caught it for the winning TD.
    I've been wondering about the accuracy of human memory lately...especially mine - so I looked up this game. Well, okay, they weren't down around the ten (it was the 26), but here's the scoring from September 30, 1990, from the Packers/Lions game at the Pontiac Silverdome:

1st Lions Robert Clark 4 yard pass from Rodney Peete (Eddie Murray kick) 0 7
    2nd Packers Chris Jacke 34 yard field goal 3 7
    Packers Ed West 3 yard pass from Don Majkowski (Chris Jacke kick) 10 7
    Lions Barry Sanders 3 yard rush (Eddie Murray kick) 10 14
    3rd Lions Rodney Peete 7 yard rush (Eddie Murray kick) 10 21
    4th Packers Michael Haddix 4 yard pass from Don Majkowski (Chris Jacke kick) 17 21
    Packers Jeff Query 26 yard pass from Don Majkowski (Chris Jacke kick) 24 21

KYPack

I've been wondering about the accuracy of human memory lately...especially mine - so I looked up this game. Well, okay, they weren't down around the ten (it was the 26), but here's the scoring from September 30, 1990, from the Packers/Lions game at the Pontiac Silverdome:

1st Lions Robert Clark 4 yard pass from Rodney Peete (Eddie Murray kick) 0 7
    2nd Packers Chris Jacke 34 yard field goal 3 7
    Packers Ed West 3 yard pass from Don Majkowski (Chris Jacke kick) 10 7
    Lions Barry Sanders 3 yard rush (Eddie Murray kick) 10 14
    3rd Lions Rodney Peete 7 yard rush (Eddie Murray kick) 10 21
    4th Packers Michael Haddix 4 yard pass from Don Majkowski (Chris Jacke kick) 17 21
    Packers Jeff Query 26 yard pass from Don Majkowski (Chris Jacke kick) 24 21
    There you go Fritz. Green Bay Packers Ed West, Michael Haddix and Jeff Query. Who was thinking about any of those fellas over breakfast?

Who was thinking of Chris Jacke.

You've got to love the internet.

PACKERS !

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    There you go Fritz. Green Bay Packers Ed West, Michael Haddix and Jeff Query. Who was thinking about any of those fellas over breakfast?

Who was thinking of Chris Jacke.

You've got to love the internet.

PACKERS !
    It's funny...at the time I thought they had enough talent - Majik, Sharpe, Jacke, Ken Ruetgers, Tony Bennett, Tim Harris, Ed West, Leroy Butler, Bryce Paup. But for reasons I can't recall Anthony Dildo shared playing time with Majik. I think Dilweg had good stats but no arm. That was a 6-10 team - Lindy-the-Infant's second-to-last year.

And Brent Fullwood and Darrell Thompson were your running backs...Haddix was listed as a FB.

Lindy Infante milked his 10-6 season for two more after that, before it was abundantly clear the wheels had fallen off. Then Ron Wolf was brought in, and, well, we know how that worked out.

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    It's funny...at the time I thought they had enough talent ...
    look at the vertical for Jeff Query! I guess it's a testament to how bad things were in GB that I remember briefly entertaining the thought that Query was a "Quality football player."

(Note: Check out the youthful 'scoops' McGinn...

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

McGinn's sporting quite the birds' nest up there.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Brent Fumblewood and Anthony "Run straight into the pile" Thompson. Ahhh, the good old days of Packer RBs.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I wonder how many times Mcginn has been punched in the face for that smirk?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

Who had the best mullet??

Majkowski?

Jacke?

Or, Query?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    look at the vertical for Jeff Query! I guess it's a testament to how bad things were in GB that I remember briefly entertaining the thought that Query was a "Quality football player."

(Note: Check out the youthful 'scoops' McGinn...
    Query wasn't a bad football player. He was a one trick pony, a poor man's Don Beebe, but man was he fast. His nickname was "White Lightning".
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson