Page 515 of 563 FirstFirst ... 15 415 465 505 513 514 515 516 517 525 ... LastLast
Results 10,281 to 10,300 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Good ole bert can't remember things anymore

too many shots to the head

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...0503--nfl.html
    I contend he started forgetting things much earlier, like where to throw a pass without it being intercepted.

I think Jack Daniels and Jim Beam also took their toll on his memory.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I told you guys I'm just the farmhand here. The patron will be back someday but for now I am to tend to the farm and it's animals.

Low Profile Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I contend he started forgetting things much earlier, like where to throw a pass without it being intercepted.

I think Jack Daniels and Jim Beam also took their toll on his memory.
    Don't forget the painkillers.

Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    Don't forget the painkillers.
    And the Syphilis.

As for the suspicion I express in this book, that human beings are robots,
    are machines: It should be noted that people, mostly men, suffering from
    the last stages of syphilis, from locomotor ataxia, were common spectacles
    in downtown Indianapolis and in circus crowds when I was a boy.
    Those people were infested with carnivorous little corkscrews which
    could be seen only with a microscope. The victims' vertebrae were welded
    together after the corkscrews got through with the meat between. The
    syphilitics seemed tremendously dignified-erect, eyes straight ahead.
    I saw one stand on a curb at the corner of Meridian and Washington
    Streets one time, underneath an overhanging clock which my father designed.
    The intersection was known locally as "The Crossroads of America.
    This syphilitic man was thinking hard there, at the Crossroads of America,
    about how to get his legs to step off the curb and carry him across Washington
    Street. He shuddered gently, as though he had a small motor which
    was idling inside. Here was his problem: his brains, where the-instructions
    to his legs originated, were being eaten alive by corkscrews. The wires
    which had to carry the instructions weren't insulated anymore, or were
    eaten clear through. Switches along the way were welded open or shut.
    This man looked like an old, old man, although he might have been only
    thirty years old. He thought and thought. And then he kicked two times like
    a chorus girl.
    He certainly looked like a machine to me when I was a boy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    And the Syphilis.

Vonnegut?

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    The victims' vertebrae were welded
    together after the corkscrews got through with the meat between...
    The meat in between?!? Thank god he didn't decide to describe the progress of tertiary syphilis. Then you would have had to find an Al Davis thread to put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Vonnegut?
    The one and only.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

SAD!

My dad is experiencing dementia. I had "debate" with pals about whats the best form of malady to suffer from; one of a mental nature or physical nature..for me its a no-brainer (pun intended). I would hate to not be able to wash myself but there would be more angst if I couldn't hold a convo because of a cognitive disability. Its a close one though b/c physical could mean no sex or maybe loss of vision and sense of taste!!!

Thoughts??!!

And question: why do people on this site call Favre bert or some other dismissive name?

This one excerpt from Favre's radio interview is all over the Internet now. It fits so nicely with the latest cause celebre campaign from the activists posing as journalists in Sports media today ("Darn it! If only we could get Brett to say that the 'Redskins' moniker was racist. We'll get him to admit it next time!").

Count me skeptical if Favre is the go-to spokesman for player safety. Favre's field play speaks for itself but his character is of a diva, drama queen whose favorite topic is himself. If it kept the spotlight on him, I think he'd willingly play along with today’s cause-driven journalists that are convinced that "this much is clear; we may just now be getting a glimpse of the true impact of decades of previously unspoken-about head injuries."

Uh, yeah, you get that information with medical advances.

You also get that every player that stepped on the field realized he could be hurt and made the choice to do so AFTER putting on protective equipment. Was it adequate enough with the knowledge at that time? Maybe or maybe not. That's worthy of debate.

What's not debatable is that athletes CHOSE to play a sport for money. They decided to put their bodies at risk and they are responsible for their decision. And due to material science progress, if better protective equipment exists today that didn’t exist decades ago, it doesn’t make those players VICTIMS simply because they did not have access to it.

As for Favre's memory, it seemed to be good with pretty girls and their phone numbers. Hello? If his memory is so now impaired do you think he’d be calling the offensive plays for his local high school team?

My guess is that Brett doesn’t remember his girl’s high school games because he was joking around and jawing the whole time. Far-fetched, right? Distracted people forget lots of things. Ever get a phone call while driving? It’s impossible to stay actively focused on everything at once. That slow car in front of you that you change lanes to pass? Yeah, he or she was talking on the phone.

No doubt, Favre’s previous injuries related to his choice of professions will affect him as he ages but if he were not a VERY healthy 44-year old the Rams would never have considered having him as their QB. That’s just reality.
    Last edited by Kiwon; 10-25-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Now the Rams are saying they were just joking when they reached out for Favre's services!!!? Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
    SAD!

My dad is experiencing dementia. I had "debate" with pals about whats the best form of malady to suffer from; one of a mental nature or physical nature..for me its a no-brainer (pun intended). I would hate to not be able to wash myself but there would be more angst if I couldn't hold a convo because of a cognitive disability. Its a close one though b/c physical could mean no sex or maybe loss of vision and sense of taste!!!

Thoughts??!!

And question: why do people on this site call Favre bert or some other dismissive name?
    I think I'd rather have the physical go out over the mental--assuming you mean when I'm much older. Bert stems from the "We'll never forget you, Bert" quotes/shirts that came out when Favre signed with Minnesota.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
    WOW! This thread was started a full five years ago!
    So have you read all 5 years worth of posts in this thread? It's a good pr history lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I think I'd rather have the physical go out over the mental--assuming you mean when I'm much older. Bert stems from the "We'll never forget you, Bert" quotes/shirts that came out when Favre signed with Minnesota.
    i'd rather be nuts

people that lose their minds rarely remember that they have lost their minds

being broke down physically means you have to sit there and suffer until you get put out of your misery

i'd rather be nuts

So, nobody's told you yet?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    i'd rather be nuts

being broke down physically means you have to sit there and suffer until you get put out of your misery
    I agree. I figure if I had to pick between physical and mental, I'd like to be blissfully unaware rather than crippled. And if I'm instead an asshole with Alzheimer's, whatever, I won't know enough to know I'm being an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So, nobody's told you yet?
    nope, and i don't care

true story. my great grandmother was in the old folks home because she had lost it. my mom and grandmother go to visit her one day. my great grandmother is go on and on about all the crazy people around the place and how just a little while ago some crazy woman was running up and down the halls butt naked with everyone in the hospital chasing after her. hooping and hollering and making all kinds of ungodly noises.

the doctors came in and pull my mother and grandmother out in the hall and let them know that they had a rather unpleasant incident with my great grandmother right before they arrived and they had just finally got her clothed and back in to bed again

yeah, i could do that

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I agree. I figure if I had to pick between physical and mental, I'd like to be blissfully unaware rather than crippled. And if I'm instead an asshole with Alzheimer's, whatever, I won't know enough to know I'm being an asshole.
    exactly!!!

Maybe Favre will say he doesn't remember having ever played for the Vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Maybe Favre will say he doesn't remember having ever played for the Vikings.
    maybe he'll blame the whole vikings episode on concussions

why else would anyone willing go there to play?

maybe he'll blame the whole vikings episode on concussions

why else would anyone willing go there to play?
    They could be brainwashed. Or Minneapolis could have more than one Applebee's. Or they could think the Vikings have a better placekick holder.