Page 523 of 563 FirstFirst ... 23 423 473 513 521 522 523 524 525 533 ... LastLast
Results 10,441 to 10,460 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This is a healthy attitude, and it's one I wish I shared. I think I'll get there, but for me, it's going to take a little longer. I still have a very sour taste in my mouth from the summer of 2009 and thereafter, when Favre retired, then thought about unretiring, then re-affirmed his retirement, then unretired and turned training camp into a zoo, a circus, freak show (deliberately, to some extent, I believe). The "THANKSTED" purple jersey one of his family wore - was it his daughter? - to a game. The calling of Matt Millen to provide some insight into the Packer offense. All of that still turns me off.

I'll get over it. Yes, it's all started to fade. But it's going to take a little longer for me. Give it another two or three years, I say. At least for me.

So for me it's not the same as when Kampman left, or when others left, because those people didn't do the kinds of things Favre did.

But I will get over it. The dude was a very, very good player for a long stretch of time, and he was entertaining and gutsy. When he played he was the best Packer QB since Bart Starr - we were very lucky to see a talent like his in the green and gold. I just wish he'd handled things differently.

+1
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

I'm still waiting for Carroll Dale to come correct after bolting to the Vikings in '73.

I just don't care anymore. Five years is ancient history in the NFL.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I just don't care anymore.
    My sentiments agreed with your first sentence and didn't bother to read the rest.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    My sentiments agreed with your first sentence and didn't bother to read the rest.
    I'm simply waiting to see this honoring of Brett Favre's career in Green Bay done properly. I mean with some deserved class ASAP.

Favre was traded by Ted Thompson to the New York Jets.

After that has nothing to do with what Favre did as a Green Bay Packer which was all about more than most every other QB ever did over the period that he was a Packer than any other QB ever did with any other NFL team.

** Favre was one of the finest NFL QB's considering regular season games.

** No QB ever passed for more yards, receptions and most importantly TOUCHDOWNS.

** Few NFL players in history generated as much excitement and made as many big plays as a true gunslinger.

** No NFL player ever demonstrated more endurance and considering he was an NFL QB puts emphasis on that fact.

** Favre is a LOCK as a first ballot NFL HOFER.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...12-and-beyond/

The Pro Football Hall of Fame classes of 2012 and beyond

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT

another perspective on that topic:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...of-fame#!209ey
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I could not care less if there ever is a ceremony or not, but it has nothing to do with Favre or anything that has happened since his last game as a Packer. I simply see little or no need to have these types of events. He did his job very well and was paid extremely well for doing it. That should be enough. I simply can't get into all the honors we, as a society, bestow on those who entertain us.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I'm simply waiting to see this honoring of Brett Favre's career in Green Bay done properly. I mean with some deserved class ASAP.

Favre was traded by Ted Thompson to the New York Jets.

After that has nothing to do with what Favre did as a Green Bay Packer which was all about more than most every other QB ever did over the period that he was a Packer than any other QB ever did with any other NFL team.

** Favre was one of the finest NFL QB's considering regular season games.

** No QB ever passed for more yards, receptions and most importantly TOUCHDOWNS.

** Few NFL players in history generated as much excitement and made as many big plays as a true gunslinger.

** No NFL player ever demonstrated more endurance and considering he was an NFL QB puts emphasis on that fact.

** Favre is a LOCK as a first ballot NFL HOFER.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...12-and-beyond/

The Pro Football Hall of Fame classes of 2012 and beyond

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT

another perspective on that topic:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...of-fame#!209ey
    Do you truly believe the Packers with the present management would not do this with dignity and class?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Do you truly believe the Packers with the present management would not do this with dignity and class?
    I could see the locker on the 50 yard line, displayed with dignity and class. Then after the breaking of the champagne bottle on the locker, a Fed Ex employee, taking the locker and delivering to to Favre, with dignity and class.

I needed a hanky to get through that post. Sorry for being so emotional.

The thing I miss most about Favre is Jenn Sterger. And Crocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    The thing I miss most about Favre is Jenn Sterger. And Crocs.
    Lmfao.....
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

he can piss off as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't imply in any way that's even remotely the case.

My concern is the disgruntled Packer fan (the odd Packer fan) that just has to make some issue hardly connected with the outstanding contribution that Brett Favre made to the Green Bay Packers and Packer Nation.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I could see the locker on the 50 yard line, displayed with dignity and class. Then after the breaking of the champagne bottle on the locker, a Fed Ex employee, taking the locker and delivering to to Favre, with dignity and class.

I needed a hanky to get through that post. Sorry for being so emotional.
    Ohh boy

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I could not care less if there ever is a ceremony or not, but it has nothing to do with Favre or anything that has happened since his last game as a Packer. I simply see little or no need to have these types of events. He did his job very well and was paid extremely well for doing it. That should be enough. I simply can't get into all the honors we, as a society, bestow on those who entertain us.
    Hi Patler:

How then do we as Green Bay Packer fans deal with the precedence RE: Great Packers players being honored?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Hi Patler:

How then do we as Green Bay Packer fans deal with the precedence RE: Great Packers players being honored?
    Good Morning Woodbuck!

Why do we have to?

What do other businesses do to honor the great visionaries, developers, business minds, creators, inventors, researchers, etc. that they employed? Mostly, they don't. A few perhaps, but they are the truly unique. Yet in sports, every franchise has a few if it's a young franchise, more if it's a bit older; or dozens if its an old franchise that are considered unique. Realistically, many may have been better players, but most were also lucky to be in circumstances that benefited them beyond perhaps similarly talented players at other times in the franchise, or similarly talented players on other teams.

I'm just not big into the number retiring thing, etc.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...266649911.html

Retirement ceremony will not happen this year as the people involved are afraid of booing. Put aside the question of how much people will boo, this cannot be the first time MurphCo and FavreInc thought of this if they were discussing dates last year. Which might mean all the previous blather about trying to setup a date was VERY VERY premature.

They apparently had not even discussed what kind of reception might occur. Which means Murphy has all the public relation sense of a skunk, to publicly raise the possibility of the event happening but not having thought of anything else other than the appropriate date.

Now about the booing. Tom Oates at the State Journal Tweeted that Packer fans should be ashamed of themselves that MurphCo need be afraid of them. This is trolling of the highest order as the people still reading Oates in the paper and caring about his opinion are PRECISELY the hard-bitten fans that didn't want Favre to go in the first place and were mad when he ended up in Minnesota rooting for other teams to make the playoffs. Oates is also an idiot for thinking people shouldn't feel free to boo.

I agree with Tanier on this:

Michael Tanier @MikeTanier ยท 9h
    If #Eagles fans did not boo @donovanjmcnabb 's return, #Packers fans sure as hell won't boo Favre.

There will be a few boos. They will then be drowned out in a sea of cheers. Running the highlight reel alone will remind people how the accomplishments compare to the disappointment over his leaving.

Which takes me back to MurphCo. Unless he is running some kind of double switch, make fans beg for a retirement ceremony and hoping they bully the still-mad-at-Favre crowd into silence, he is utterly useless.

All Favre needed to do to soften the reception was make an appearance this spring or summer. Go to the Badgers Sweet Sixteen or Final Four games with Rodgers. Attend the WI Sports Awards. Appear at McCarthy's fund raiser for the AmFam Children's Hospital. Attend Jordy's softball game or the MACC Fund Night With Aaron Rodgers. Go to one of the four Golf Outings with Packers or Badgers in attendance or make an appearance with Bart Starr to open a Piggly Wiggly. A couple of self-deprecating jokes later, everyone remembers the goofy good guy. Don't bother to explain yourself.

Problem solved. Fans primed to be happy. Run the highlight reel (seriously, that reel could run for 2 and a half hours) and get prepared to be deafened. If Brett cannot be roused to do that small step, then why are we still discussing this?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...266649911.html

All Favre needed to do to soften the reception was make an appearance this spring or summer. Go to the Badgers Sweet Sixteen or Final Four games with Rodgers. Attend the WI Sports Awards. Appear at McCarthy's fund raiser for the AmFam Children's Hospital. Attend Jordy's softball game or the MACC Fund Night With Aaron Rodgers. Go to one of the four Golf Outings with Packers or Badgers in attendance or make an appearance with Bart Starr to open a Piggly Wiggly. A couple of self-deprecating jokes later, everyone remembers the goofy good guy. Don't bother to explain yourself.

Problem solved. Fans primed to be happy. Run the highlight reel (seriously, that reel could run for 2 and a half hours) and get prepared to be deafened. If Brett cannot be roused to do that small step, then why are we still discussing this?
    I agree with this. Favre is hanging out in Mississippi waiting for people in Green Bay to like him again. He needs to come to Green Bay and remind people why he was such an overwhelmingly popular figure. The last memories people have of Favre aren't good ones. He needs to be proactive in changing that.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Because a month can't go by without bumping this thread.

That alone is reason enough to retire the number and get it over with.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Because a month can't go by without bumping this thread.

That alone is reason enough to retire the number and get it over with.
    You don't think retiring Favre's number will retire this thread, do you?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The last memories people have of Favre aren't good ones.
    If that's your take on it, the "people" you are referring to are pretty petty and ignorant. I don't know any of those people, except the few that post here.