Page 538 of 563 FirstFirst ... 38 438 488 528 536 537 538 539 540 548 ... LastLast
Results 10,741 to 10,760 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Come on Patler!! You have watches NFLN before. If they can attempt to show Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin have conversations about moral and right versus wrong they can pretty much try anything.

But why is this so wrong to showcase? Why the bitter tone towards some thing Packerscentric?

I tire of our deification of those who entertain us.

Blast From the Past.

Peter Kings stakes out the Favre/Tynes bedroom. Roderick Mullen's first week with the team. Holmgren with the weakest Head Coach trash talk ever (couldn't find a plane?). Earl Dotson is photographed and isn't false starting. Brett is afraid of snakes. Mark Ingram still has a job. Chmura before Hot Tub Crime Machine. Jack Del Rio. Brett doesn't know much about the science of sleep (six hour nap?). TJ Rubley is still active. Charles Jordan, troublemaking muse to Antonio Freeman.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/01/brett-...95-peter-king/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    You add celebrities to that and I will subscribe to your newsletter.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I agree

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You add celebrities to that and I will subscribe to your newsletter.
    I already did, which is why I referred to "those who entertain us", and not just "athletes" or "football players". My pet peeve for years has been the various awards programs where those in the music and movie industries fall all over themselves, and the media acts as if it is something really, really important. They become very full of themselves, and we are to blame for it much of the time.

Count me among those who gives zero shits about this, one way or the other.

The awards shows are so smug and banal. I can't remember the last time I watched one and couldn't tell you who won what award. Best Picture? I lost interest after Saving Private Ryan lost to some period rom-con.

I guess I'm just a curmudgeon anymore. Victor David Hansons Confessions of a Cultural Dropout isn't too far off. Pardon me while I yell at some kids on the front lawn.........

Thankfully I have anything else to do on Thursday. Maybe I'll see if I can't watch the clover patch grow in my back yard.

Which reminds me, I gotta call a lawn guy. Mad do you have any relatives in the area?

Nothing like the NFL publicity machine to blow things out of proportion. Are they going to start broadcasting HOF ceremonies for all teams? For GB every year?
    Do other teams have their own HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Thankfully I have anything else to do on Thursday. Maybe I'll see if I can't watch the clover patch grow in my back yard.

Which reminds me, I gotta call a lawn guy. Mad do you have any relatives in the area?
    What is happening tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    What is happening tomorrow?
    Isn't there a retirement thing tomorrow?

I already did, which is why I referred to "those who entertain us", and not just "athletes" or "football players". My pet peeve for years has been the various awards programs where those in the music and movie industries fall all over themselves, and the media acts as if it is something really, really important. They become very full of themselves, and we are to blame for it much of the time.
    That is well and good, but I would like to include those who are famous for one thing (perhaps very well accomplished in certain areas) and now want to use that fame platform to tell us about things for which they have no special knowledge. Not just actors and the like, but every pundit, self-help book writer, ex-CEO and armchair psychologist on the continent.

This contains multitudes:

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 44m44 minutes ago
    It's too bad the Packere don't have a leader like Favre today or they'd have won a few more Super Bowls

That is well and good, but I would like to include those who are famous for one thing (perhaps very well accomplished in certain areas) and now want to use that fame platform to tell us about things for which they have no special knowledge. Not just actors and the like, but every pundit, self-help book writer, ex-CEO and armchair psychologist on the continent.
    Columnists too.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/15/brett-...r-retired-nfl/

King with a lot of insight on the summer of 2008, among them that Favre wanted to play for the Bears

A couple of months later I was washing my dog in my New Jersey driveway (true story) when my cell rang. It was Favre. I put down the soap and hose and talked to him. He said he was having second thoughts. Lots of them. He said he still wanted to play. He said he was thinking of asking for his release so he could play somewhere else. Chicago or Minnesota, maybe.
    On the Saturday before the Packers were due at training camp, I visited Favre at his home outside Hattiesburg, Miss. He and wife Deanna were there, and agent Bus Cook. We went to dinner with some relatives, then back to the house on his 465-acre spread. That day, Thompson asked Favre for a list of teams he’d agree to be traded to. Favre wouldn’t give him one. If Favre couldn’t go to Minnesota or Chicago, his preference was to force Thompson’s hand, and come back to play quarterback for the Packers.
    But Favre wanted to play for the Vikings, or possibly the Bears. Both needed passers. Next option: the Packers.

Two or three times that night, well into the evening, I told him Thompson wouldn’t bend. The GM would get killed in Wisconsin if he handed Brett Favre to an archrival. Favre knew, but he had trouble accepting.

“Ted told me, ‘Aaron’s our starter,’ ” Favre said at one point. “I asked if I could compete for the job. He said, ‘That is not an option.’ He said, ‘Coming up there obviously is not good. Things have changed. We’ve moved on.’ He basically said, ‘You’re not going to play here.’ ”

I flew to Green Bay the next day. Thompson reiterated there’d be no release. Favre, that night, texted me thusly: “Tell Ted to release me.” I don’t recall what I said, but it was something like, Not happening.
    Go PACK

I don't know what is worse, Home Run Derby or the ESPY's, but at least the ESPY's give us this kinda stuff:

Aaron Rodgers
    ‏@AaronRodgers12
    Great night at the @ESPYS
    Congrats to all the winners tonight on and off the stage. @ussoccer_wnt @StephenCurry30

I don't know what is worse, Home Run Derby or the ESPY's, but at least the ESPY's give us this kinda stuff:

Aaron Rodgers
    ‏@AaronRodgers12
    Congrats to all the winners tonight on and off the stage. @ussoccer_wnt @StephenCurry30

Favre wearing a tie and Rodgers not. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Isn't there a retirement thing tomorrow?
    I believe it is on Saturday.

Aaron Rodgers
    ‏@AaronRodgers12

I like this picture.

We are nearly down to lone Japanese sailors on abandoned islands at this point.

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 20m20 minutes ago
    Brett Favre = Trent Dilfer. A Super Bowl ring apiece.