Page 91 of 563 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerinmaine
    "The Jets, and Brett Favre, are done", saith New York Magazine:
    http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/12...vre_are_d.html
    That's pretty harsh.

I'd like to see the old man pull one more bit of magic out against the 'phins.

Merry Christmas JH!

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...gren-Favre.php

Mike Holmgren: Brett Favre's still got it

RENTON, Wash.: People in and around New York — and quite a few more across the NFL — are starting to think Brett Favre's career may be as done as the Jets' playoff chances.

Mike Holmgren is definitely not in New York. And he's just days from being out of the NFL.

Favre's friend, confidant and former coach defended the three-time MVP on Monday.

Holmgren said the Seahawks having perhaps their best defensive game of the season, and not Favre being 39, had more to do with No. 4 throwing two interceptions and getting sacked four times Sunday in an upset loss at lowly Seattle, which may have crushed the Jets' playoff hopes.

The Jets (9-6) managed a season-low three points in their third loss in four games. They now must beat Miami at home Sunday and have either New England or Baltimore lose to get into the playoffs.

A season that turned on the very last corner
    Favre was selected to the Pro Bowl for the 10th time last week and earlier this season threw six touchdown passes in a win over Arizona. But he has one touchdown pass and six interceptions in the last four games. He had his second-lowest passer rating of the season on Sunday (48.7).

"You get to expect so many great things from him — and he's had games this season that were incredibly good — that when it's not incredibly good some people have a tendency to say, 'What's wrong?' Well, there's nothing wrong," Holmgren said Monday, seven days before his one-year sabbatical from football begins.

"It's just that our defense played pretty well. It was snowing like crazy. We got to him, we sacked him a couple times, which was good. We hadn't done that lately. I have a tendency to say I think he played his game. I just think we were better on defense."

Favre started 8-for-9 but finished 18-for-31 with the two interceptions and just 187 yards, his seventh game below 200 yards passing this season. And it came against a defense that entered Sunday allowing a league-high 260.9 yards passing per game.

Passing through at-times heavy snow, the quarterback renowned for his excellence in such conditions — "which is true," Holmgren said Monday — continually underthrew receivers. He was short to Laveranues Coles near the Seahawks 30 in the fourth quarter while New York trailed 10-3, and behind David Clowney in the third quarter at the Seahawks 40.

That gave more credence to the theory a 39-year-old passing shoulder is finally betraying Favre.

"I felt comfortable. Never really felt uncomfortable," an obviously disappointed and somber Favre said after the game. "We were just never able to get it going.

"Once again: Three points. I don't care how well you're moving it between the two goal lines ... the bottom line is getting it into the end zone."

New York was still down 10-3 while at its own 12 with 3:06 left, but Darryl Tapp sacked Favre on first down. On fourth-and-2, Favre heaved perhaps his longest and best pass of his otherwise poor day. The ball reached Coles in stride at the Seahawks 40, but bounced off his hands then chest, then the hands of defensive back Kelly Jennings before falling to the turf.

Seattle kicked the clinching field goal a few plays later.

Holmgren brought Favre to Green Bay in 1992 and molded the former option quarterback at Southern Mississippi into a champion and a legend, before the coach left for Seattle prior to the 1999 season. Because Holmgren knows firsthand all that Favre has accomplished, he braced for what he might do to the 3-11 Seahawks entering Sunday.

"The fact that we were playing the Jets, he was on the Jets, and it was snowing — it was like it was too much. It was just unbelievable," Holmgren said. "He is one of the greatest competitors I have ever seen and been around. Of course I was nervous about it, but like I said, our defense I think stepped up and did a great job."

The upset dropped the supposed king of cold-weather passing to 1-6 on the road in his career in games played with temperatures of 34 degrees or below. He was 43-6 in such conditions in Green Bay.

Holmgren said that disparity is primarily a factor of simply playing home games all those winters in frigid Wisconsin, against teams from more temperate climates that were literally stunned by the cold.

But Holmgren also said Favre has "monster" hands that allow him to throw a brick-like ball on cold days, while many others can't grip it well.

It's forecast to be 52 degrees with rain showers at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, N.J., on Sunday, when the Jets fights for their playoff lives against the Dolphins.

Favre had better get a grip on his almost-lost season by then.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    But Holmgren also said Favre has "monster" hands that allow him to throw a brick-like ball on cold days, while many others can't grip it well.
    monster hands, but what's the story on his shoulder? I see messaging scrolling on the bottom of ESPN that Favre's should is falling off.

He is old and he should have retired. The guy can't be coun ted on any longer to be a good QB for 17 weeks.
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

A bit of ego coming out here...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Why not get an MRI if your shoulder is jacked? - to protect the streak and then stay retired if it's really messed up.

Mangini is saying the right things but I bet there are some other discussions going on (like, sure - come back for 8-10 games next year and then be the back-up the 2nd half the season).

The Patriots very well could lose to the Bills on the road. If that happens, the Jets would have to win and we'd get a 2nd round pick. The hope is still alive although Brett is doing his best Gus Frerotte impression to screw us on his way out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    The Patriots very well could lose to the Bills on the road. If that happens, the Jets would have to win and we'd get a 2nd round pick. The hope is still alive although Brett is doing his best Gus Frerotte impression to screw us on his way out the door.
    Beating the Bills has been a constant for the Pats. They've won 10 straight and 15 of their last 16 against Buffalo, outscoring the Bills 150-40 in their last four visits to the Bills and holding them to 168 total yards in a 20-10 win at home earlier this year.

I also could easily see the Jets lose to the Fins. Especially with Chad being motivated and Favre possibly hurt...

Could be the Dolphins winning the division and Jets/Pats sitting on outside looking in (unless Jags win and Pats get the wild card). What a year.

You're probably right, Fosco. The Pats will probably beat the Bills and the Jets have gotten bottom of the barrel QB play the last 4 weeks. It's tough to beat decent teams with a 6 to 1 INT/TD ratio even if you have the AFC's leading rusher and a good defense. I'm still hoping though. We seem to do pretty well with picks between 24 and 60.

Rodgers
    Collins
    Jennings
    Nelson
    Colledge

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Honest, I'm not trying to rationalize this.......but geeez, I've watched every Jet game this season......when the protection was there, Favre was too. He doesn't lead the league with the 30 sacs, but that's alot.
    This probably would be a good time to call it quits.
    I agree, it's time for him to hang up the cleats. I saw him in a presser yesterday and you can tell that he's ready to be done. Yet he says he doesn't regret coming to play for the Jets. Well, like he'd say so publicly anyhow.

? HOFer
    Anyone else think its hysterical that Favre's injury doesn't get any play, when judging by the way it is making him play, is probably far worse, when Rodgers "gutted" it out?

ROFL. I attribute Favre's poor performances these past few weeks to the injury. He is clearly pretty hurt or the shoulder wouldn't even be brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Anyone else think its hysterical that Favre's injury doesn't get any play, when judging by the way it is making him play, is probably far worse, when Rodgers "gutted" it out?

ROFL. I attribute Favre's poor performances these past few weeks to the injury. He is clearly pretty hurt or the shoulder wouldn't even be brought up.
    unless the shoulder was brought up as an excuse for his poor performance.

I'm not saying this is true, but it is just as likely as your theory.

Some people thought Favre would start slow this year because he was working on a new team. Others thought he would have a strong season and fade towards the end because he is old.

We've always heard about Favre's injuries. And the more he's played through, the more of a fuss is made about it which is fine. But if it's too hurt to play with and he plays anyway, that's just stupid. If he can't perform, he's only hurting the team.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    We've always heard about Favre's injuries. And the more he's played through, the more of a fuss is made about it which is fine. But if it's too hurt to play with and he plays anyway, that's just stupid. If he can't perform, he's only hurting the team.
    totally agree

I find it odd that he'd wait 'til after the season to get it checked out and acknowledges that 'they'll probably find something.'

It might be the best thing for him - to have an excuse to leave the game on something other than his ego.

Does anyone think he'll play next year? I don't.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Holmgren brought Favre to Green Bay in 1992 and molded the former option quarterback at Southern Mississippi into a champion and a legend, before the coach left for Seattle prior to the 1999 season. .
    ..and all this time I thought it was Wolf who brought Favre to GB!

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Holmgren brought Favre to Green Bay in 1992 and molded the former option quarterback at Southern Mississippi into a champion and a legend, before the coach left for Seattle prior to the 1999 season. .

'xactly, I'll bet dollars to donuts Holmy went "A first round pick for who??"
    But that's the AP for you. They can pretty much write whatever they want and sleep well.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz
    I agree, it's time for him to hang up the cleats. I saw him in a presser yesterday and you can tell that he's ready to be done. Yet he says he doesn't regret coming to play for the Jets. Well, like he'd say so publicly anyhow.
    GB, you know #4 better than anybody on this board -- don't you think he's kind of proud of what he accomplished in NY? I gotta think it's been a kick for him out there, kind of like dating a hot chick after you just got dumped.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead

But that's the AP for you. They can pretty much write whatever they want and sleep well.
    Fact checking from the AP?? For shame...

AP has shown over the past several years to have more opinion inserted into their stories and kind of gloss over facts.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

And you would lose that bet. Holmgren knew exactrly who Favre was. Holmgren was one of only 3 that personally worked Favre out prior to Favre being drafted. One of the others? Ron Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk1994

And you would lose that bet. Holmgren knew exactrly who Favre was. Holmgren was one of only 3 that personally worked Favre out prior to Favre being drafted. One of the others? Ron Wolf.
    Mike Holmgren as Offensive Coordinator worked out Brett Favre? I'd like to see some doc on that.
    Besides, it's moot. Ron Wolf was the general manager and made the deal.